Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,031 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? (6608 Views)

With AI Like GPT4, Is Been A Tech Developer Still Worth. / Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It / Is Decagon Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 11:01am On Jun 21, 2018
Dacronym:
Not really except you're very comfortable and are in say Canada or USA

For why?
grin
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 11:06am On Jun 21, 2018
judesl:
OP
CS consists of more than just programming

... With CS degree u can work any where

do some deep research about CS and forget Nigeria mentality towards CS

... But yes u can be a great programmer without CS degree i.e
if a road mechanic whose work is just to repair a broken car has the opportunity to be the one who produces the car(automobile engineer),which will he choose? ... Just saying

lastly follow your heart and trust yourself... God bless

grin
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ibkayee(f): 4:36pm On Jun 21, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

Well said,

i think i get your point,

a DEGREE will only pave way for me to showcase my skills(self-taught cheesy) and maybe a juicier package.

is that it?
A degree will help you get to the door, basically. Preferable to have, but not the end of the world if you don’t as long as you can still ‘make up for it’ by proving yourself in other relevant ways. Speaking on CS specifically though, I don’t know how flexible other job sectors are. Also bear in mind that programming is only part of Computer Science, if you want to go into any of the other areas of CS I don’t know how flexible things are there either

1 Like

Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 6:32pm On Jun 21, 2018
ibkayee:

A degree will help you get to the door, basically. Preferable to have, but not the end of the world if you don’t as long as you can still ‘make up for it’ by proving yourself in other relevant ways . Speaking on CS specifically though, I don’t know how flexible other job sectors are. Also bear in mind that programming is only part of Computer Science, if you want to go into any of the other areas of CS I don’t know how flexible things are there either

in details please,

if you don't mind.

Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by alfarouq(m): 7:54pm On Jun 21, 2018
ClintonNzedimma:

look I am a CS student, I was coding before I gained admission....dont look for the degree alone but the knowledge, when I was in 200 level second semester, very late in the night I used to watch MIT opencourse ware havard learning on YouTube, check CS50 by professor David Malan on youtube, watch it and enjoy the beauty of CS
Nice one
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by Ikennablue(m): 11:25pm On Jun 21, 2018
Humchi:

for job prospectives, it is.
haaa!... And am thinking of dropping Architecture for Computer science because of my love for programming and of course, job prospectives

1 Like

Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by Humchi(m): 11:34pm On Jun 21, 2018
Ikennablue:
haaa!... And am thinking of dropping Architecture for Computer science because of my love for programming and of course, job prospectives

you are good to go..
Today, technologies is taking over and computer field is widely open most especially for job seekers..

Though not happy tonight.. Messi failed to impress me.. But i am loyal to him ...

Make nigeria better win ooo or else.. Anything football i would treat it like the way i did to bbn..
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 11:36pm On Jun 21, 2018
Ikennablue:

grin

Weigh your decision brotherly...

choose wisely too.

Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by GreatAchiever1: 6:38am On Jun 22, 2018
Ikennablue:

If u are good in architecture but love programming, i will advice u to go for architecture, because with ur skill in programming combined with architecture, u could do alot... But den follow ur heart
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ibkayee(f): 1:14pm On Jun 22, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

in details please,

if you don't mind.

Some sort of portfolio showcasing your skills smiley
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClassicMcGee(m): 1:47pm On Jun 22, 2018
ibkayee:
Some sort of portfolio showcasing your skills smiley

wink
But i can still have a degree and portfoliogrin... Win win!

Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ibkayee(f): 2:25pm On Jun 22, 2018
ClassicMcGee:

wink

But i can still have a degree and portfoliogrin... Win win!

Even better wink
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by OutOfTheAshes(m): 4:08pm On Jun 23, 2018
Any progammer in the house sad?
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 4:50pm On Jun 23, 2018
Ikennablue:
no need, just combine architecture and programming, the beauty of programming is that you can combine it with other fields
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by sparkle6(m): 4:54pm On Jun 25, 2018
Bsc Certification in comp sci is needed for those who need to find jobs.
If you have masters or phd for comp. sci. na 500k upwards per month o.
but if u want go solo and build ur fame which is hard in naija na. then who needs their papers.
how can i spend 125,320 hours in school for a white paper and a handshake?
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by fedrick4god(m): 11:51am On Jun 26, 2018
ibkayee:
It takes experience to be a good programmer and not necessary a qualification however a degree will make it it a lot easier to get hired to be honest.

A lot of companies use degree requirements as a filter when searching for ‘talent’ and tend to want some form of formal education, typically a bachelors, if not then MULTIPLE years of experience and an EXTENSIVE portfolio. You also tend to get paid more, a degree just tends to result in higher lifetime earnings, long term. There will always be exceptions of course but generally speaking.

So essentially, if you have the option to get a degree, I would advise you do but if not, don’t fret too much as opportunities will still come, you’ll just need to showcase yourself a bit harder than the rest.
I want to follow your footstep to become a world class programmer. I'm currently on java lang.
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ibkayee(f): 12:33pm On Jun 26, 2018
fedrick4god:

I want to follow your footstep to become a world class programmer. I'm currently on java lang.
Lol world what? Nah I’m still an amateur trust me smiley
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by AZeD1(m): 12:15am On Jun 27, 2018
If you have the opportunity to get the degree, get it. It doesn't make you a good programmer, but it gives you the basics.

Also you never know when it would come in handy.

A Nigerian programmer I know and was willing to help with his immigration to Canada ran into problems because he dropped out of school.
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by fedrick4god(m): 7:55am On Jun 29, 2018
ibkayee:

Lol world what? Nah I’m still an amateur trust me smiley
It's better to have you around if you don't mind on whatsapp.
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ibkayee(f): 5:45pm On Jun 29, 2018
fedrick4god:

It's better to have you around if you don't mind on whatsapp.
You can ask me questions here dear smiley
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by Nobody: 7:35am On Jun 30, 2018
ibkayee:

You can ask me questions here dear smiley
Ib..
Hello
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ibkayee(f): 10:57am On Jun 30, 2018
Odobopa:

Ib..
Hello
Hi
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by Nobody: 6:22am On Jul 09, 2018
ibkayee:

Hi
How are you?
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ibkayee(f): 6:23am On Jul 09, 2018
Odobopa:

How are you?
Fine thanks, yourself?
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by Nobody: 6:36am On Jul 09, 2018
ibkayee:

Fine thanks, yourself?

I'm good. Hope you are enjoying the hot weather tongue
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ibkayee(f): 6:49am On Jul 09, 2018
Odobopa:

I'm good. Hope you are enjoying the hot weather tongue
Lol not really, but as long as it isn’t raining sha tongue
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 09, 2018
ibkayee:

Lol not really, but as long as it isn’t raining sha tongue

Mehnn, the weather has been craaaazy!
Have you changed your mind about my mail?
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by ibkayee(f): 7:18am On Jul 09, 2018
Odobopa:

Mehnn, the weather has been craaaazy!
Have you changed your mind about my mail?
I’m just shocked it’s been as consistent as it has, we usually only get like 1 week of heat to make up for the cold and rain that will inevitably follow

Lol no I haven’t
Re: Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 09, 2018
ibkayee:

I’m just shocked it’s been as consistent as it has, we usually only get like 1 week of heat to make up for the cold and rain that will inevitably follow

Lol no I haven’t

Lol ok smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Develop A Software In Java To Calculate CGPA / FG Pays N81.7bn On Customs Software / Computer Science In University Of Lagos(unilag) ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.