Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,224 members, 7,825,857 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? (5906 Views)

Poll: Under Free & Fair Election, Do You Think Jonathan Will Win?

Yes: 67% (81 votes)
No: 32% (39 votes)
This poll has ended

Complete List Of Campaign Team That Will Make President Jonathan Win Buhari / Why It Is Impossible To Have A Free And Fair Election In Nigeria / Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by ePAYSYSTEM(m): 8:48pm On Jun 04, 2010
With the state of affairs, it has become no more news that President Jonathan will run for 2011 election for presidency. The president has also preached so much about a free and fair election where "EVERY VOTE COUNTS".

With all the speculations about the power of incumbency aside, do you think on a good day, Dr. Jonathan would win his election as the president come 2011?

Lets enjoy your views!
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by sjeezy8: 8:51pm On Jun 04, 2010
not in a million years lol hahahaha but w.e
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by jarkbauer: 8:55pm On Jun 04, 2010
he is a foolish opportunist.he cant win
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by Exoticeye: 9:10pm On Jun 04, 2010
jarkbauer:

he is a foolish opportunist.he cant win
Why do you refer him as a foolish opportunist.? I feel he was just at the right place at the right time.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by jarkbauer: 9:24pm On Jun 04, 2010
the words might be harsh though but when this guy was became president i was too happy but looking at his ways now i believe he has got nothing to offer nigerians
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by naijadoll1: 9:43pm On Jun 04, 2010
if free & fair: no, he wudn't, he has done a little but not enuf.

but, in true Naija reality, he can rig the election like Obj and win. cool
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by ePAYSYSTEM(m): 9:50pm On Jun 04, 2010
One year may not be enough for him to gain the minds of Nigerian to win under free and fair setting
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by chidichris(m): 9:59pm On Jun 04, 2010
a free and fair election u said? i think a free and fair election in nigeria will take the events of the last 11 years into consideration.
looking back from 1999 till date, i doubt that any right thinking nigerian will vote pdp in any election.
jonathan will not only fail, but he will fail woefully.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jun 04, 2010
I bet my money that Ghana can hold a fairer election than the so-called 'Giant of Africa'

Too many people would do anything to get into power in that country
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by Igwe9(m): 11:01pm On Jun 04, 2010
It depends on who his rivals are, for the likes of IBB, Atiku and co, I will gladly vote for him smiley
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by Beaf: 11:19pm On Jun 04, 2010
I believe that Jonathan stands a very good chance.

He is very different from all who came before him, a simple, but practical example; at the time he was Acting President's, a man drove into his path and blocked his motorcade. With all past Presidents, that man would have recieved the beating of his life and would most likely have died (unnoticed) in some dark dungeon, but you know what? As would happen in any advanced country, the man was taken to court and tried for his offense. . . Incredible!

I'll look for links to post here about that event, if anyone else has some links, please post them as well. Jonathan is the sort of man we desperately need to unify the country.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by IbroYaya: 11:26pm On Jun 04, 2010
Free and  fair elections? why not, he can will win.  It only depends on who he is contesting against. And as I see,there is no credible person yet that can withstand him. Unless that person comes, GJ will for sure will be the next president in a free and fair election.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by Abagworo(m): 11:32pm On Jun 04, 2010
politics as we know is never straight even in most advanced democracies.from the point of view of an imo man living in rivers state,jonathan is sure of 80% from both states as well as bayelsa.the only catalyst is improvement in power.for the first time in this democracy,people in the east are buying fuel at approved pump price.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by PapaBrowne(m): 11:43pm On Jun 04, 2010
Off Course, why not?
Right now, Jonathan is one of the most popular politicians in Nigeria. The other extremely Popular politicains are Fashola and Ribadu. To a lesser extent, you also have Donald Duke and El rufai. Fashola is not running, neither is Ribadu nor El Rufai. Donald Duke might not have the financial capacity to reach out across Nigeria.
I don't know any other Nigerian who can win Jonathan in a free and fair election.
The only person with a slightly fair chance is surprisingly, Babangida. While he might appear unpopular amongst the literate class, the teeming mass of illiterates would vote for anybody that would provide them a T Shirt and a 2000 naira bill. Babangida can do exactly just that.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by udezue(m): 1:59am On Jun 05, 2010
He can win depending on who he is running against. If its against IBB, Atiku or BUhari he has greater chance but if its bwteen him and Donald Duke then he has something to worry about.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by Onlytruth(m): 3:14am On Jun 05, 2010
Yes he can win; depends on his likely opponent. Again, I don't think he would be opposed by another Easterner. It is unlikely. The deciding factor is the north. If they are really serious about getting back the presidency, there is no way he (or any other southerner undecided) can win because there are northern politicians who are equally popular in the north and south.

If I were Jonathan, I would convince the north to allow me go for it. If they refuse, that ends it.

And I don't buy this "middle belt" factor. When it comes to power play in Nigeria, there is really only one north.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by Eddeux(m): 3:51am On Jun 05, 2010
^^^So are you saying the call for 'free and fair election's more than likely won't happen, and a northerner may end up being president? What are the chances of some massive civil war starting in Nigeria if Jonathan wins and the north is not happy? Or if a northerner was announced as winner and it is later revealed that it is actually Jonathan who won? grin

Sorry, most I hear about Nigeria really is about how it's 'split between muslims and christians' and how it's a very unstable country. western ignorance at play
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by Onlytruth(m): 4:09am On Jun 05, 2010
Eddeux:

^^^So are you saying the call for 'free and fair election's more than likely won't happen, and a northerner may end up being president? What are the chances of some massive civil war starting in Nigeria if Jonathan wins and the north is not happy? Or if a northerner was announced as winner and it is later revealed that it is actually Jonathan who won? grin

Sorry, most I hear about Nigeria really is about how it's 'split between muslims and christians' and how it's a very unstable country. western ignorance at play

I really think that Jonathan will organize a free and fair elections next year. He cannot act like Obasanjo who rigged elections. Jonathan is not Obasanjo. So the best he can do is to organize free and fair elections. I still don't think he will run before getting northern support. Any day he declares his intention to run, I would take that as a signal that he has won over the north. That is what a good strategic thinker would do.

The worst thing that can happen is that Jonathan contests without northern support, and rigs the election.
I don't think he can survive its aftermath. This is Nigeria and we know where the real power is. Don't believe anything else. undecided
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by mamman4: 6:08am On Jun 05, 2010
grin it depends on what he achieves within this short time frame of his administration,
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by OAM4J: 7:41am On Jun 05, 2010
Not obvious yet.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by Nobody: 7:45am On Jun 05, 2010
I dont know why I do, but I like this Jonathan. He has my vote sha, if I can still vote in Nigerian election.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by SapeleGuy: 10:55am On Jun 05, 2010
Stop deceiving yourselves. There will be no free and fair election in 2011. Therefore, if he decides to contest he will win.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by ePAYSYSTEM(m): 2:31pm On Jun 05, 2010
If Jonathan becomes more confident of himself, I think there would be a free and fair election. Nigeria has the potential, the power, the manpower, the money, even the atmosphare. The hard times experienced and mischifs are from the top. So if the top allows for a free and fair stuff, there can be that. It can happen only if GJ feel within himself he can beat the odds
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by otokx(m): 3:42pm On Jun 05, 2010
Politics is about numbers that is what GJ should understand. He has the armed forces in his pocket and will soon have the civil servants in their numbers but there is that vast majority called the masses especially up North. Let him come up with a policy that will also better their life e.g. the provision of petroleum products at reduced rates plus electricity.

The quality of the contestants too matters and for now that is really non existent. Nigerians at least the enlightened ones are tired of the old brigade.

In conclusion, at this time in a free and fair election he has a very slim chance.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by niyisky: 4:09pm On Jun 05, 2010
Yes he will win if he is able to win the PDP ticket.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by Spyker: 4:22pm On Jun 05, 2010
niyisky:

Yes he will win if he is able to win the PDP ticket.
GBAM.
Secondly, since GJ became President, no more queue up for common petrol we produce. Let's give him a chance, after all, USA is backing the guy now.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by metalgong5(m): 4:41pm On Jun 05, 2010
No!! He can't win . . . . . . He can experiment that by decamping to AC.
Jonathan can only win by using the PDP machinery.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by nevosys(m): 6:02pm On Jun 06, 2010
Goodluck Jonathan will win a presidential Election come 2011
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jun 06, 2010
He can never win under a free and fair condition.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by cantell(m): 6:58pm On Jun 06, 2010
~Bluetooth:

He can never win under a free and fair condition.
Says who?
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by dulz(m): 7:27pm On Jun 06, 2010
why do jack bauer refer to our president as foolish opportunist,what is foolish about him,is it an effort to continue with the peace process in niger delta or the removal of devilish IWU (INEC CHAIRMAN) or the return of NUHU RIBADU who has done his country well,but unjustly treated.if the truth must be told,i believe jonathan will win if the polls are free and fair.
Re: Would Goodluck Jonathan Win A Free & Fair Election? by ePAYSYSTEM(m): 10:56pm On Jun 06, 2010
Because of GJ's ambition to become the president, he may continue to be nice. He may as well do everything to please the north and Niger delta would be kept at bay soonest. For me he is a nice man even when he was the VP. I think he may win if he continues with his good work

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sacked Non-Abia Indigenes Storm Owerri Govt House / Ntoakwaibom Stop Spreading False News, Akwa Ibom State Observed Biafra Day / Few Hours To Election , 1 Dollar = 184 Naira - Error Or Real - Check Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.