Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,446 members, 7,812,365 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? (1107 Views)

Acer Laptop. What Do You Think? / I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For / I Need A Laptop! - What Make And Brand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? by jaysay(m): 4:57am On Jun 05, 2010
hi,

can anyone tell be a very effective antivirus i can use for my laptop. I will soon run out of time for the norton that came with it. thanks.
Re: I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? by astuto: 6:35am On Jun 05, 2010
The Best antiviruses available are:
1. BitDefender Antivirus
2. Kaspersky Antivirus
3. Webroot Antivirus with Spy sweeper

The list is long. but those are the current top 3.

Actually, i suggest u use an internet security suite, not an antivirus. It kind of combines the best of antivirus, with many other features not seen in an antivirus, e.g. the ability to let you use a personal firewall, lets you know when any attempt is made to gain access to a program (even the operating system, or BIOS etc) and stops it or gives u a choice to allow or not. Mind u, an internet security takes up more memory than the corresponding antivirus. It's a suite(collection of software) so what else d'you expect?

To cut a long boring story short, i use KIS (Kaspersky internet Security). It's ranked #2. I used to use the Kaspersky antivirus, but i stepped up cos i go online and connect to different LANs a lot. U can download it online and make sure u get a license for it.
Re: I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? by astuto: 6:41am On Jun 05, 2010
The Best antiviruses available are:
1. BitDefender Antivirus
2. Kaspersky Antivirus
3. Webroot Antivirus with Spy sweeper

The list is long. but those are the current top 3.

Actually, i suggest u use an internet security suite, not an antivirus. It kind of combines the best of antivirus, with many other features not seen in an antivirus, e.g. the ability to let you use a personal firewall, lets you know when any attempt is made to gain access to a program (even the operating system, or BIOS etc) and stops it or gives u a choice to allow or not. Mind u, an internet security takes up more memory than the corresponding antivirus. It's a suite(collection of software) so what else d'you expect?

To cut a long boring story short, i use KIS (Kaspersky internet Security). It's rated #2. I was using the Kaspersky antivirus, but i stepped up cos i go online and connect to different LANs a lot. U can download it online and make sure u get a license for it.
Re: I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? by hooged: 2:41pm On Jun 05, 2010
go for avast 4.8, and update, its up to 44mb,but is fucking reliable
Re: I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? by routik(m): 6:52pm On Jun 05, 2010
for my clients that have money, i advice them to go for kaspersky internet security.
but for those that dont have enough to purchase licensed anti virus, AVG free edition is there for you.
Re: I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? by hob(m): 7:37pm On Jun 05, 2010
go 4 Avast or Norton 360
Re: I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? by Master6(m): 8:03pm On Jun 05, 2010
Avast free edition cool
Re: I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? by Jsmile(m): 11:11pm On Jun 05, 2010
hooged:

go for avast 4.8, and update, its up to 44mb,but is bleeping reliable
@Collins, pls Licensed Kaspersky internet security is how much?
Re: I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? by 0Edward0(m): 3:34pm On Jun 10, 2010
Just download avast 5.0 and enjoy, forget all the other crap
Re: I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? by routik(m): 4:05pm On Jun 10, 2010
@Collins, pls Licensed Kaspersky internet security is how much?
am sorry for taking this long to reply, one user license is within the range of 4-6k depending on the computer shop you go to. while three user license is about 12k.
Re: I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? by chidyke77(m): 12:34pm On Jun 11, 2010
Hw good is AVG?
Re: I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? by routik(m): 5:10pm On Jun 11, 2010
Hw good is AVG?

as long as is up to date it works fine.
Re: I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? by Eeyore(m): 7:17pm On Jun 12, 2010
This issue has been extensively argued on another thread - www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-237883.0.html, and the truth is that there's no "best" antivirus. Depends on your need and use.
Re: I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? by brilinger: 11:36am On Jun 14, 2010
this may be an unwelcome response but you should seriously consider dual-booting with Ubuntu 10.04.

It is very user friendly, has a Windows feel to it, quick learning curve, and anti-virus is totally unnecessary. you can dual boot with nearly any windows system, and even after Windows becomes unstable, you still have Ubuntu functioning as a back up.

The only downside i have found is that it is tough to play games on it. and MS software wont work without an emulator like WINE.

(1) (Reply)

Computer Problem: Toll Free Call For Assistance / Help: In Need Of D Location Of Computer Village In Abuja. / Browsing Free In Futo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.