Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,754 members, 7,851,589 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:42 PM

From Sea To Table – Sustaining Ghana's Fisheries And Coastal Resources - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / From Sea To Table – Sustaining Ghana's Fisheries And Coastal Resources (270 Views)

Coarse Sea Salt, Himalayan Pink Salt, Essential Oils, Carrier Oil, Roots & Herbs / Health, Skin, Hair & Cooking Benefits Of UNREFINED SEA SALT / Lagos - A Coastal City With Great Potentials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

From Sea To Table – Sustaining Ghana's Fisheries And Coastal Resources by kongashare01: 2:55pm On Jun 23, 2018
Sustaining Ghana Fisheries And Coastal Resources
“The sea is our life; it has been handed over to us by our ancestors. We live on its produce and make a living from it as well,” a thirty-four-old lobster picker and fish monger, Bernice Bebley, says. “Sustaining Ghana Fisheries And Coastal Resources”.

Bernice’s family lives within the Kokrobite community located a few miles away from the Densu estuary where her family, like other community members, ply their trade of fishing and picking of oysters.

“I was born here and I grew up seeing my father and mother doing this business to take care of us. So now, I also do this as a living to take care of my family,” she adds.

Bernice, however, states things have changed over the years with the landing of fish after fishermen expedition on the sea and processing of the catch before it gets to the last consumer.

“They come with very little fish and their sizes are also small, so we are not able to make any profit from their sale. We are managing with what we have but it is not enough,” Bernice indicates.

She says lack of proper processing facility and poor storage area also contribute to the poor socio-economic impact of fishing on fishermen and fishmongers.

“When they don’t come with a big catch we complain but when they do, we have a big problem because we do not have a proper place to store the fish or oyster and also process them for the market,” she reveals....

CONTINUE READING HERE: https://xclusiveafrica.com/from-sea-to-table-sustaining-ghanas-fisheries-and-coastal-resources/

(1) (Reply)

Why Government’s Losing Revenue In Mining Sector / Buy Sell Or Trade / Earn Free Crypto Currency Doing Doing Simple Social Media Tasks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.