Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,081 members, 7,957,029 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 05:17 AM

World Cup 2018: England Must Stay Composed If Panama Attempt Tricks - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / World Cup 2018: England Must Stay Composed If Panama Attempt Tricks (319 Views)

Panama Vs Tunisia: World Cup (1- 2) On 28th June 2018 / England Vs Panama: World Cup 2018 (6 - 1) - Full Time / Belgium Vs Panama: World Cup - 3 - 0 (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

World Cup 2018: England Must Stay Composed If Panama Attempt Tricks by olamariamjonez(m): 5:25pm On Jun 23, 2018
Leyton Orient and Jamaica midfielder Jobi McAnuff says England should stay composed after experiencing Panama's "tricks" first hand.

McAnuff, who played for Reading in the Premier League as well as Watford, Crystal Palace and West Ham, has faced Panama four times competitively in the last five years in World Cup qualifying with Jamaica.

His side have drawn twice and lost twice against Panama, who now face England in World Cup Group G on Sunday following their 3-0 defeat by Belgium on Monday.

McAnuff, now at Leyton Orient, says England should keep their head in case Panama attempt to frustrate them physically, and also says the opposition's centre-halves could be split.

Here, we run through his advice for the England side ahead of the clash in Veliky Novgorod.

"My advice for the team would be to stay composed. We came across a lot of tricks from the Panama side and others in qualification; I'd call them fouls, but a lot of things that go unnoticed, little pulls of the shirt or trying to stop your momentum if you're looking to pace forward.

"There were little fine details they will try to do to put you off your game, and you must keep a level head. We suffered in one game, getting a man sent off through frustration. It's something I'm sure England are used to facing, but Panama are clever in that sense.

"They've been around the block, there's a lot of experience, and they are very, very street-wise. England have a lot of young lads in the squad at the moment, and it'll be an interesting challenge."

"Their centre-halves - two from Roman Torres, Fidel Escobar or Felipe Baloy - are almost like throwback English centre-halves; they'll come, head it, very strong and very keen to win the ball.

"I definitely think that's an area England can exploit. I think they will be that keen to come and win the ball, that you can really pull them apart. If you can get good movement around them, with Harry Kane dropping into the pocket, or maybe the deeper player, Loftus-Cheek or Sterling or Rashford, whoever that is, they can definitely slip into the forward's pocket.

More: https://hi247.com.ng/2018/06/23/world-cup-2018-england-must-stay-composed-if-panama-attempt-tricks/

(1) (Reply)

Croatia Vs France FIFA 2018 Final / Breaking: Mesut Ozil Retires From International Football / Sure Daily Sport Prediction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.