Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! (1568 Views)

Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion / Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade / FG Approves Six New Private Universities (names) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by Jman06(m): 9:04pm On Jun 23, 2018
Please NUC should as a matter of urgency withdraw the accreditations of some private universities in Nigeria offering healthcare courses like medicine, pharmacy, nursing etc.
This is because, most of the graduates of those courses from private universities in Nigeria know next to nothing about basic things in these professional courses. Therefore, they constitute dangers to our healthcare system when they are continually churned out every year. Specifically, schools like MADONNA and IGBINEDION universities should stop offering healthcare course. I have interacted with pharmacy graduates from these schools, and honestly speaking 99.9percent of them lack the commonest knowledge of drugs. Same with medical doctors that graduated from those schools. They are liabilities to these noble professions !!!
Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by weyreypey: 9:13pm On Jun 23, 2018
Jman06:
Please NUC should as a matter of urgency withdraw the accreditations of some private universities in Nigeria offering healthcare courses like medicine, pharmacy, nursing etc.
This is because, most of the graduates of those courses from private universities in Nigeria know next to nothing about basic things in these professional courses. Therefore, they constitute dangers to our healthcare system when they are continually churned out every year. Specifically, schools like MADONNA and IGBINEDION universities should stop offering healthcare course. I have interacted with pharmacy graduates from these schools, and honestly speaking 99.9percent of them lack the commonest knowledge of drugs. Same with medical doctors that graduated from those schools. They are liabilities to these noble professions !!!
And in your wisdom nairaland is the place to come and complain?

3 Likes

Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by hisgrace090: 9:19pm On Jun 23, 2018
Very good suggestion.

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by Oche211(m): 9:19pm On Jun 23, 2018
Jman06:
you are right on point.

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by Oche211(m): 9:22pm On Jun 23, 2018
weyreypey:

And in your wisdom nairaland is the place to come and complain?
so where should he go?
NUC? Or write letters to them?
You should knw by nw that Nairaland reactions generate faster responds to burning national issues.
You trend on nairaland, you trend on so many blogs nd other social medias.

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by Acidosis(m): 9:37pm On Jun 23, 2018
Nigerians and discriminations.

Don't you guys write the same exams (from the Nigeria's Medical and Dental Council)?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by HigherEd: 1:47am On Jun 24, 2018
As if the public universities are better... There are still private unis that offer helathcare courses that are very good. ABUAD and Babcock are doing fairly good ...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by CodeTemplar: 5:19am On Jun 24, 2018
The public university folks love to claim grades are dashed out in private universities because of high school fees but we know better that it is the other way round.

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by gabrielahamz(m): 8:28am On Jun 24, 2018
Haha, the envy and hatred some of these public university graduates that can't string complete sentences in english language, have for their private school counterparts is alarming.This is an ignorant post at best that reeks of jealousy and gross stupidity. You speak as if it isn't the same Nigerian Medical and Dental Council that approve these exams in all higher institutions. In my humble opinion, the study of medicine in some of these public institutions should be investigated as the rising cases of malpractices seem to stem from the graduates of these 'noble' institutions.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by lilmax(m): 8:43am On Jun 24, 2018
just because them get make sense facilities and good environment for studying,if at this point you still think quality education comes cheap,you must lack sense

3 Likes

Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by Jman06(m): 12:25pm On Jun 24, 2018
Acidosis:

Nigerians and discriminations.

Don't you guys write the same exams (from the Nigeria's Medical and Dental Council)?

It's not discrimination bro. I was prompted to write this post because of my interaction with a pharmacy graduate from MADONNA university yesterday. The guy displayed so much lack of knowledge that got me wondering how he managed to pass through pharmacy school. Honestly, this is not about putting down the private universities but a genuine concern about the future of our healthcare.
It's appalling !

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by Jman06(m): 12:39pm On Jun 24, 2018
gabrielahamz:
Haha, the envy and hatred some of these public university graduates that can't string complete sentences in english language, have for their private school counterparts is alarming.This is an ignorant post at best that reeks of jealousy and gross stupidity. You speak as if it isn't the same Nigerian Medical and Dental Council that approve these exams in all higher institutions. In my humble opinion, the study of medicine in some of these public institutions should be investigated as the rising cases of malpractices seem to stem from the graduates of these 'noble' institutions.
Bro, this is not about envy or whatever you called it. Medical graduates from the Nigerian private universities are mostly deficient in medical knowledge.

NUC, MDCN, PCN etc need to check those schools. I believe a lot of cutting of corners are going on in our private medical and pharmacy schools and that is why they end up producing quacks who constitute danger to our healthcare delivery system.
Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by Meel: 1:17pm On Jun 24, 2018
Thank God you said some not all. Accreditation of medical courses is done by 2 bodies ; NUC (to kick start the programme and awarding of degree) and respective councils like MDCN, MLSCN, PCN, NMCN e.t.c( for licensing).
Accreditation is done base on facilities and staffs on ground not students intellectual capacity. l

All medical course council in lias with the school organize professional exams for all students before being inducted Into the profession.
E.g the nursing RN exam is the same for every nursing students throughout the federation I.e the RN exam done in Almighty Uniben is the same as Rn exam done in maddona. In Medicine , there professional exam is being supervised by council Assessor and external examiners from other universities. Likewise in Mls and pharm, there professional exams are being supervised by same council.

All Nigeria University uses the same curriculum. Private University medical graduate and public Uni medic graduate undergoes the same training but the only difference is the , corruption induced in the process of training.
I know your argument is majority of priv uni students are incompetent, but sincerely speaking you can't just generalize. Sorting is also in public uni but it is more conducive in private (from my experience). We have medical grad of private university that are way better than there counterpart in public. I believe intelligence is a personal thing.

The people I believe you should voice out to is the respective councils. My lecturer told me of a time he was an external examiner in a private school, then during viva a 400 medical students can't speak explicitly on analytical specificity and sensitivity. The guy failed but the exam , but the school did a resit exam for them and he later passed ( power from above) , though my lecturer wasn't part of examination team that did the resit exam. But in the same school , am sure there will be one or two or more intelligent student. So, just because of some lazy spoilt brat, accreditation should be revoked.
Like I said earlier, council should be stringent and thorough before they give license to anyone to practice.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by Jman06(m): 1:53pm On Jun 24, 2018
Meel:

Thank God you said some not all. Accreditation of medical courses is done by 2 bodies ; NUC (to kick start the programme and awarding of degree) and respective councils like MDCN, MLSCN, PCN, NMCN e.t.c( for licensing).
Accreditation is done base on facilities and staffs on ground not students intellectual capacity. l

All medical course council in lias with the school organize professional exams for all students before being inducted Into the profession.
E.g the nursing RN exam is the same for every nursing students throughout the federation I.e the RN exam done in Almighty Uniben is the same as Rn exam done in maddona. In Medicine , there professional exam is being supervised by council Assessor and external examiners from other universities. Likewise in Mls and pharm, there professional exams are being supervised by same council.

All Nigeria University uses the same curriculum. Private University medical graduate and public Uni medic graduate undergoes the same training but the only difference is the , corruption induced in the process of training.
I know your argument is majority of priv uni students are incompetent, but sincerely speaking you can't just generalize. Sorting is also in public uni but it is more conducive in private (from my experience). We have medical grad of private university that are way better than there counterpart in public. I believe intelligence is a personal thing.

The people I believe you should voice out to is the respective councils. My lecturer told me of a time he was an external examiner in a private school, then during viva a 400 medical students can't speak explicitly on analytical specificity and sensitivity. The guy failed but the exam , but the school did a resit exam for them and he later passed ( power from above) , though my lecturer wasn't part of examination team that did the resit exam. But in the same school , am sure there will be one or two or more intelligent student. So, just because of some lazy spoilt brat, accreditation should be revoked.
Like I said earlier, council should be stringent and thorough before they give license to anyone to practice.
The problem like you stated is that the schools always try to pass the students at all cost, not minding whether they deserve to pass or not. Some of them even go as far as bribing the people in the exam panels of the regulatory bodies like MDCN to pass their students.
Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by CodeTemplar: 2:04pm On Jun 24, 2018
Jman06:
The problem like you stated is that the schools always try to pass the students at all cost, not minding whether they deserve to pass or not. Some of them even go as far as bribing the people in the exam panels of the regulatory bodies like MDCN to pass their students.
Stop peddling lies. The private units aren't different from their public counterpart. If you claim that private universities try to pass student at all cost because of huge fees then the public universities are worse. I say this because the amount govt spends on some public uni system is equally huge and ends up in the pocket of the lecturers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by tempest01(m): 2:12pm On Jun 24, 2018
Jman06:

Don't know where you are heading, but igbinedion university health graduates are sound...at least during my time there, the system was sound.

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by Meel: 2:27pm On Jun 24, 2018
Jman06:

You have said it all, " some schools always try to pass the students at all cost, not minding whether they deserve to pass or not". Some schools will shaa pass you so far you have the money.
Thank God for house/internship, I heard of some senior colleagues that was told to repeat their intern because they don't know anything. And likewise, I know of a senior colleague now practicing in Australia with his priv uni certificate.

Bribery and corruption is rampant in the Councils and Private Universities are taking advantage of that.
Like i said earlier, the Council needs to step up, accreditations should be given to universities that deserves it , but they must make sure any student that will be licensed is qualified and competent. Because without the Council, dumb medics can't be licensed.

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by handsomebolanle: 3:39pm On Jun 24, 2018
Jman06:

You're wrong bro...
In every class we have the high intelligent, mid intelligent and low intelligent... I'm sure you would have called Ben Carson a dull person if you were in his youths..
Your interactions with one or two should not be a basis of your conclusion and the worst , you also generalize... Grow up and stop creating unnecessary attention....

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by gabrielahamz(m): 1:14pm On Jun 26, 2018
There you go again with your lousy generalizations, these private university graduates you are so eager to put down are all leaving the country to greener pastures after passing the relevant exams in those countries. Like I said earlier, you are speaking speaking from a position of envy and crass ignorance.
Jman06:
Bro, this is not about envy or whatever you called it. Medical graduates from the Nigerian private universities are mostly deficient in medical knowledge.

NUC, MDCN, PCN etc need to check those schools. I believe a lot of cutting of corners are going on in our private medical and pharmacy schools and that is why they end up producing quacks who constitute danger to our healthcare delivery system.

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Should Stop Offering Healthcare Courses In Nigeria !!! by Jman06(m): 1:27pm On Jun 26, 2018
gabrielahamz:
There you go again with your lousy generalizations, these private university graduates you are so eager to put down are all leaving the country to greener pastures after passing the relevant exams in those countries. Like I said earlier, you are speaking speaking from a position of envy and crass ignorance.
Everybody always claims they are leaving the country for a greener pasteur when they want to deceive the gullible public.

Bro, I envy no one ! I'm just concerned about what would become of our healthcare system if we continue to allow our private universities churn out quacks as healthcare professionals.

My point is that our regulatory bodies like NUC, PCN, MDCN etc should live up to their responsibilities of ensuring that quality is not compromised in training of healthcare professionals by our private institutions.

(1) (Reply)

See What This Nigerian Girl Did At The South African University / 33 Mysterious Facts You Have To Know About / The Grieved Lands Of Africa - Analysis Of The Poem, Themes And Poetic Devices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.