Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,828 members, 7,810,181 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! (1254 Views)

Career Decision / Urgent ! Help A Friend!! Career Decision Confusion / My Biggest Career Decision. Pls Help. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by DogCynophile(m): 4:54pm On Jun 25, 2018
Hello guys,
I don't know where to put this but i guess the mods would do a better job.

To the main issue, I'm in a delima right now pertaining my career options. I just finished nysc this April and I'm still young (not up to 24). I got a bank job that pays well (atleast for a single young girl).

At the same time I have also gotten an admission to do my masters in the US.

Now the issue is I feel I'm still young and I also fancy a career in the banking industry. The pay is good and there's future career advancement. I'm considering doing my masters here in Nigeria, which will be easier cos of my job and cheaper.

On the other hand I'm pressurised by my folks to travel to the states for my master and sincerely the cost of it is overwhelming (more then 15million), and it won't cost me up to that to do the same masters in Nigeria here. Although factoring how our educational system is here in naija (ASUU strike and all).

But at the same time, I'm looking at the way Nigeria is going, our economy,security etc. And i am very tempted to leave and seek greener pastures. I am just confused. What do you feel.

PS: i already have a visa to travel for my masters.

Please I need matured and professional advise.

Cc: seun, lalasticlala, CrazyMan, 1forall, help let it reach a wider audience.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by InfoBase(m): 5:02pm On Jun 25, 2018
Even though a lot of people might tell you to stick with the bank job because of the money, my advice to you is to go for the masters program in US. Reason being that it increase your professional value more and broadens your reach.

You won't just be limited to just getting a job in Nigeria only. You can get employed in the US and other parts of the world & even if you decide to work in Nigeria, your value will be quite high compared to someone who did their masters here.

And also like u said, Nigerian schools are not really that stable. Anything can happen along the line that may prolong your stay longer than intended.

2 Likes

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jun 25, 2018
u desire a bank job...u have it.. the truth is, an academic masters is great but not all that useful in a banking since it's a bank job u fancy

.to be frank with u a good work experience is what I would choose, master's can come later especially if u don't have intentions of going into the academics..
How many financial house related jobs do u see MSc or PhD as requirement...CFA, ACCA, MBA and other crazy certifications is the order of the day.

But all the same, we know say Naija don cast, so if ur dream is to travel and probably hoping to settle over there if u get favoured.....take ur masters in US...And if u have academic and on ur mind, and MSc and pHd is a must

2 Likes

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by DogCynophile(m): 8:36pm On Jun 25, 2018
InfoBase:
Even though a lot of people might tell you to stick with the bank job because of the money, my advice to you is to go for the masters program in US. Reason being that it increase your professional value more and broadens your reach.

You won't just be limited to just getting a job in Nigeria only. You can get employed in the US and other parts of the world & even if you decide to work in Nigeria, your value will be quite high compared to someone who did their masters here.

And also like u said, Nigerian schools are not really that stable. Anything can happen along the line that may prolong your stay longer than intended.

Thank you, what about the cost of pursuing such? Because cost is also a factor I'm looking at.
Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by DogCynophile(m): 8:38pm On Jun 25, 2018
1StopRudeness:

u desire a bank job...u have it.. the truth is, an academic masters is great but not all that useful in a banking since it's a bank job u fancy

.to be frank with u a good work experience is what I would choose, master's can come later especially if u don't have intentions of going into the academics..
How many financial house related jobs do u see MSc or PhD as requirement...CFA, ACCA, MBA and other crazy certifications is the order of the day.

But all the same, we know say Naija don cast, so if ur dream is to travel and probably hoping to settle over there if u get favoured.....take ur masters in US...And if u have academic and on ur mind, and MSc and pHd is a must

Thanks , but i don't really desire a bank job, rather a job in the financial sector and the bank job is just the first step.

On the other hand, u just brought up a topic I was debating with a friend; between certifications and degree which is better ...
Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jun 25, 2018
DogCynophile:

Thanks , but i don't really desire a bank job, rather a job in the financial sector and the bank job is just the first step.

On the other hand, u just brought up a topic I was debating with a friend; between certifications and degree which is better ...

It depends on the sector u desire....
Like I said ..if u are interested in the financial world like investment banking, auditing, forensic accounting, etc...an academic Masters is great but won't do u much good like certifications
In the Nigeria of today MSc is not even a guarantee of job... It could be good for those interested in the academics or the life and medical scientist working in industry research and development because it is expected of them to have good level of research skills that would have been acquired at MSc and PHd level....
I feel that an academic masters(i.e MSc) is amazing if u have the mind set for a PhD and u wanna end up lecturing or an independent researcher....
If not....an MBA from Lagos business school if u don't wanna travel, CFA, ACCA, ICAN and so on will do just fine in the corporate world of finance

2 Likes

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by DogCynophile(m): 9:34pm On Jun 25, 2018
1StopRudeness:

It depends on the sector u desire....
Like I said ..if u are interested in the financial world like investment banking, auditing, forensic accounting, etc...an academic Masters is great but won't do u much good like certifications
In the Nigeria of today MSc is not even a guarantee of job... It could be good for those interested in the academics or the life and medical scientist working in industry research and development because it is expected of them to have good level of research skills that would have been acquired at MSc and PHd level....
I feel that an academic masters(i.e MSc) is amazing if u have the mind set for a PhD and u wanna end up lecturing or an independent researcher....
If not....an MBA from Lagos business school if u don't wanna travel, CFA, ACCA, ICAN and so on will do just fine in the corporate world of finance

Thanks, love your insight....will look into an MBA also....regards
Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by InfoBase(m): 9:36pm On Jun 25, 2018
DogCynophile:

Thank you, what about the cost of pursuing such? Because cost is also a factor I'm looking at.

Its worth the cost, so if the money is available, then I see no reason while it should be an issue. But if its not, then by all means, go ahead and do it in Nigeria since its cheaper.

1 Like

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by YvonneAtNL: 11:21pm On Jun 25, 2018
Pls go do ur masters abroad

2 Likes

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by Focusmind: 2:32pm On Jun 28, 2018
please don't try it. Most Nigerians will always want to leave. You already have a decent job. Work and earn experience. Experience is the most important consideration in the labor market now. Leave academics for now. Thousands have masters and are still begging for jobs. I have been there before you. Job, job, job and job still remains the best. Forget masters please. You can enroll for professional certifications. Ensure you are placed in a good department in the head office - Treasury, FINCON, International operations, Strategic planning, Corporate Services or Corporate banking.

Don't mind those already frustrated with the Nigeria situation. It is understandable for them to choose going out. The future is bright with your job which millions of graduate would gladly ask for.

Lastly, you are still young. As an African and working class lady, many working class are not fulfilled without marriage. The chances of you getting hooked up in Nigeria is far higher than US. A lot of unmarried Nigerian I know in US always ask for opportunity to come back to Nigeria to work, of which getting a suitor is one of the most important reason. They have worked in US for years being single because of staying far away from home. If you are from the East, you will understand. A lady came back from US to join one FMCG in their legal department after working for more than 8 years in US as an attorney with earnings higher than what the FMCG company is paying her. She finally got hooked and is happily married but still visit US for vacation.Some have gotten married to guys that are doing well in Nigeria and relocated to be with their hubby in Nigeria and look for job just because of marriage.

I did my masters and lived in the UK. Take my advice and move on with your new banking job in Nigeria. Don't think of going to US to waste that N15m. Some have finished and are running up and down doing one " per hour" jobs or the other.

3 Likes

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by DogCynophile(m): 9:27pm On Jun 28, 2018
Focusmind:

please don't try it. Most Nigerians will always want to leave. You already have a decent job. Work and earn experience. Experience is the most important consideration in the labor market now. Leave academics for now. Thousands have masters and are still begging for jobs. I have been there before you. Job, job, job and job still remains the best. Forget masters please. You can enroll for professional certifications. Ensure you are placed in a good department in the head office - Treasury, FINCON, International operations, Strategic planning, Corporate Services or Corporate banking.

Don't mind those already frustrated with the Nigeria situation. It is understandable for them to choose going out. The future is bright with your job which millions of graduate would gladly ask for.

Lastly, you are still young. As an African and working class lady, many working class are not fulfilled without marriage. The chances of you getting hooked up in Nigeria is far higher than US. A lot of unmarried Nigerian I know in US always ask for opportunity to come back to Nigeria to work, of which getting a suitor is one of the most important reason. They have worked in US for years being single because of staying far away from home. If you are from the East, you will understand. A lady came back from US to join one FMCG in their legal department after working for more than 8 years in US as an attorney with earnings higher than what the FMCG company is paying her. She finally got hooked and is happily married but still visit US for vacation.Some have gotten married to guys that are doing well in Nigeria and relocated to be with their hubby in Nigeria and look for job just because of marriage.

I did my masters and lived in the UK. Take my advice and move on with your new banking job in Nigeria. Don't think of going to US to waste that N15m. Some have finished and are running up and down doing one " per hour" jobs or the other.

Thanks, really do appreciate your insight...It's amazing learning from your own experience.

I still have my options open and praying to God to direct my path. Thanks once again
Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by DogCynophile(m): 9:27pm On Jun 28, 2018
InfoBase:

Its worth the cost, so if the money is available, then I see no reason while it should be an issue. But if its not, then by all means, go ahead and do it in Nigeria since its cheaper.
Thanks
Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by oluwaniyi66(m): 3:46pm On Jun 29, 2018
I would advise that you should enroll for your Masters degree since you are still young. Bank still employ people with Masters degree. Don't ever think you wouldn't get a get a good job after your Msc in USA. This is Nigeria where Bank may decide to sack due to economy recession at any time. I believe you would definitely get a good partner over there if only you are good. Your future is secured with a Msc from USA. Please don't take this opportunity for granted. Plsssssssssssssss

3 Likes

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by DogCynophile(m): 6:22pm On Jun 29, 2018
oluwaniyi66:
I would advise that you should enroll for your Masters degree since you are still young. Bank still employ people with Masters degree. Don't ever think you wouldn't get a get a good job after your Msc in USA. This is Nigeria where Bank may decide to sack due to economy recession at any time. I believe you would definitely get a good partner over there if only you are good. Your future is secured with a Msc from USA. Please don't take this opportunity for granted. Plsssssssssssssss
Thanks.

I get all you have said, but do you mean a masters in Nigeria is not recognised ?? Or my future aunt sage with a masters in Nigeria. My options 're either to go to US for the masters or stay back in Nigeria, work and also do my masters here.
Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by oluwaniyi66(m): 12:29am On Jun 30, 2018
DogCynophile:

Thanks.

I get all you have said, but do you mean a masters in Nigeria is not recognised ?? Or my future aunt sage with a masters in Nigeria. My options 're either to go to US for the masters or stay back in Nigeria, work and also do my masters here.
I didn't actually say its not recognized but you can't compare America Msc with Nigeria's own as you know. You are still good to go for Nigeria standard with Msc in Nigeria. Are you aware it might not be easy for you to combine Masters and Bank job together if only you desire good grade? I will never advise you staying back here with the Bank Job. Irrespective of your pay now, I can assure you that you would get more than that after one year of working with your Masters in USA. My brother told me of his friends who left his Bank Job For Masters in USA. he's living large now. Many bankers with higher pay than you are leaving their Jobs for USA and Canada. Many are looking for this opportunity you have but they can't come close. I would advise you make judicious use of this opportunity to get foreign Masters. Many fast and pray to get the USA student visa on travel section but they couldn't. Most BANK Job require 28 years maximum with Msc. You have nothing to lose. An American Msc is a plus to your career. I hope you will make the right decision by furthering your education abroad. You would always remember the day you made the right decision and be happy.

2 Likes

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by DogCynophile(m): 6:19am On Jun 30, 2018
oluwaniyi66:

I didn't actually say its not recognized but you can't compare America Msc with Nigeria's own as you know. You are still good to go for Nigeria standard with Msc in Nigeria. Are you aware it might not be easy for you to combine Masters and Bank job together if only you desire good grade? I will never advise you staying back here with the Bank Job. Irrespective of your pay now, I can assure you that you would get more than that after one year of working with your Masters in USA. My brother told me of his friends who left his Bank Job For Masters in USA. he's living large now. Many bankers with higher pay than you are leaving their Jobs for USA and Canada. Many are looking for this opportunity you have but they can't come close. I would advise you make judicious use of this opportunity to get foreign Masters. Many fast and pray to get the USA student visa on travel section but they couldn't. Most BANK Job require 28 years maximum with Msc. You have nothing to lose. An American Msc is a plus to your career. I hope you will make the right decision by furthering your education abroad. You would always remember the day you made the right decision and be happy.

Thanks, now I get you well.....
To say I'm not confused eh, I would be a liar. Would make up my mind soon and surely get back to y'all.
Thanks once again
Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by bamdexfarms(m): 8:04am On Jun 30, 2018
Please go for your masters. As a former teller, I've witnessed lots of bankers quitting their jobs for masters abroad. There is no job security in the banking sector! And you may not have 'a life' of your own due to closing very late from work. You can work in the US upon completion of your Masters. Companies like KPMG, E&Y, Accenture, Google etc are great organization to work with there. And if you eventually want to come back to work in Nigeria, you'll be placed in a managerial position in any company you are, banks inclusive!
Presently, I know many bankers that are preparing to leave for masters abroad.

I wish you all the best.

1 Like

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by bidemi1190: 8:05am On Jun 30, 2018
its a two way situation here. i wasn't interested but i saw that you are confused. its not a matter of nigerian situation but truth be told i would advise you travel for your msc but choose a course that is in high demand ,do serious research. Bank work na cha cha oh. a lot of instability, saying from experience. the money might be much but do we really have education in nigeria thats the question?

1 Like

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by bidemi1190: 8:09am On Jun 30, 2018
take it from me all my siblings schooled in US and UK. i will also advise get all the skills required here before you travel. my two cents

1 Like

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by DogCynophile(m): 8:30am On Jun 30, 2018
bamdexfarms:
Please go for your masters. As a former teller, I've witnessed lots of bankers quitting their jobs for masters abroad. There is no job security in the banking sector! And you may not have 'a life' of your own due to closing very late from work. You can work in the US upon completion of your Masters. Companies like KPMG, E&Y, Accenture, Google etc are great organization to work with there. And if you eventually want to come back to work in Nigeria, you'll be placed in a managerial position in any company you are, banks inclusive!
Presently, I know many bankers that are preparing to leave for masters abroad.

I wish you all the best.
Thanks very much, appreciate your inputs
Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by DogCynophile(m): 8:31am On Jun 30, 2018
bidemi1190:
its a two way situation here. i wasn't interested but i saw that you are confused. its not a matter of nigerian situation but truth be told i would advise you travel for your msc but choose a course that is in high demand ,do serious research. Bank work na cha cha oh. a lot of instability, saying from experience. the money might be much but do we really have education in nigeria thats the question?
The instability in Nigeria is a factor to consider also..not just in the banking sector,infact virtually all sectors..It's well. Thank you so much
Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by DogCynophile(m): 8:32am On Jun 30, 2018
bidemi1190:
take it from me all my siblings schooled in US and UK. i will also advise get all the skills required here before you travel. my two cents

Please can u kindly explain the bolded part ? Thanks
Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by bidemi1190: 8:52am On Jun 30, 2018
look for where to get practical experience . probably to learn them and be serious about it, so as to enable you hit the ground running as soon as you get there. make your school in a good city for easy networking.

1 Like

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by bidemi1190: 8:53am On Jun 30, 2018
what am telling is the truth, what many people will never ever tell you.

1 Like

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by bidemi1190: 8:58am On Jun 30, 2018
i will advice you to switch into IT. research on areas that best fits you and are in high demand. the internet is there for you. use it. many people will just travel only to start struggling there.

1 Like

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by DogCynophile(m): 9:26am On Jun 30, 2018
Oh okay., I get you now. Will look into that asap. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by oluwaniyi66(m): 9:56am On Jun 30, 2018
DogCynophile:

Thanks, now I get your well.....
To say I'm not confused eh, I would be a liar. Would make up my mind soon and surely get back to y'all.
Thanks once again
Pls don't be confused, make hay while the sun shines. You can never be at loss despite doing your Masters. USA is a land of opportunities. I do check the profile of the top achievers in Nigeria Banking system, many were educated abroad. I would advise you read more about USA. it seems you have not traveled abroad before and compare to this country? Nigeria Banks pay meagre compare to international standard. I am advising you the way i would advise my sister and friends.
Once you get married and start making children, none of this dream may ever come to pass again.

1 Like

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by Nobody: 1:20am On Jul 03, 2018
Focusmind:

Please, where did you get this statistics from? That ladies aren't fulfilled without marriage. You see what African primitive mentality has done to you?

A young lady is talking about career here and you're talking about marriage, are you normal for God sake? People like you are the reason why African girls make marriage their top priority in life even when they're still in the University. Nobody needs marriage to be fulfilled.
Do you want her to limit her career because of marriage?. You were making sense until you made that disgusting, primitive and uncivilized comment.

1 Like

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by calculator123(m): 11:58am On Jul 10, 2018
Go for the masters in US sharp....You would be better for it on the long run.
Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jul 10, 2018
Like someone advised, get some IT certifications which suit your interests before you leave Nigeria. It will add to your skill set and ultimately open you up to better opportunities.

1 Like

Re: Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! by Winter4: 11:06am On Jul 12, 2018
Hanseel1:

Please, where did you get this statistics from? That ladies aren't fulfilled without marriage. You see what African primitive mentality has done to you?

A young lady is talking about career here and you're talking about marriage, are you normal for God sake? People like you are the reason why African girls make marriage their top priority in life even when they're still in the University. Nobody needs marriage to be fulfilled.
Do you want her to limit her career because of marriage?. You were making sense until you made that disgusting, primitive and uncivilized comment.

Calm down naaa!
You could have still made your point without insults. I'll like to say "Some" people find fulfillment in marriage. But then, I do not support throwing a career away for it...the same way I think that, all the money and career heights in the world cannot cure loneliness...nor can it give the love/satisfaction of having a family.

Wisdom is needed sha.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Highest Paid Employees In The World! / Masters Degree In Engineering In The Usa! / Quantity Survey Or Computer Science

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.