Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,075 members, 7,842,071 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

Why Gernot Rohr Failed To Take Nigeria To The Round Of 16 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Gernot Rohr Failed To Take Nigeria To The Round Of 16 (301 Views)

AFCON: Wabali Bobo Is Better Than Francis Uzoho,” Gernot Rohr / Gernot Rohr: Victor Moses Is The Most Reliable Super Eagles Player / Gernot Rohr Releases Eagles' Squad For Nigeria Vs Zambia Match (See Full List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Gernot Rohr Failed To Take Nigeria To The Round Of 16 by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 27, 2018
Its not his fault. I heard something in the commentary during Nigeria's first match- that no team headed by a foreign coach has ever won the world cup. Every single team that's ever lifted the trophy has had a coach with the same country of origin.

It might seem ridiculous when you think of it at first but there could be a reason. I think an indigenous coach would better understand how to handle the players. From the littlest things (like speaking in pidgin English to the players), they could form bonds that no foreign coach possibly could. . .and make the players desperately want to make their coach proud.

Apart from that, an indigenous coach would be 100% aware of the fact that there are many far more talented indigenous players than the foreign ones- its something every Nigerian knows. Football is kind of like our 'national sport' and an indigenous coach would understand that poverty, poor grassroots football systems, etc are major factors that contribute to why Nigerians aren't dominating abroad. As far as I'm concerned Nigeria has an incredible amount of football talent, enough to compete with countries like Brazil.

A lot of our current stars today were discovered through the age grade tournaments (mostly the u-17 world cups). Before their rise to fame, they were indigenous players as well. What about the thousands of talents that weren't lucky enough to make their way to the u-17 team? Just look at the amazing goals scored by Kelechi Nwakali and Usman Mohammed against Atletico Madrid. . .do you think they'd have missed the chance Ighalo did in yesterday's match? It was only after that game that Rohr realised his mistake but by then it was too late. . . his squad for the World Cup had been submitted to FIFA. A foreign coach might not think of Nigeria as a great footballing nation just like we look at countries like the USA and Australia without knowing the enormous importance attached to football here and how many young, hungry players are waiting to be given a chance.

I'm not a football analyst, I'm more of a casual fan, but facts are facts. I was hoping to see something different but I really didn't expect Nigeria to go far in this tournament. Almost all our foreign coaches (with the exception of Clemens Westerhof) have been complete failures, from Berti Vogts to Lagerback to Rohr. And even Westerhof had issues with the squad and dumped us after the world cup in 1994- only for that same team to go ahead and conquer the world two years later.

Its true that we've had bad indigenous coaches (like Oliseh who appeared to be horrible at human relations) but I think the solution is to keep searching from within till we get it right.

cc Lalasticlala Seun Mynd44

1 Like

Re: Why Gernot Rohr Failed To Take Nigeria To The Round Of 16 by Rapoo(m): 9:53am On Jun 27, 2018
all your points are undoubtedly correct.
put the bigger reasons are in the pictures below.

Re: Why Gernot Rohr Failed To Take Nigeria To The Round Of 16 by Dranoid: 9:59am On Jun 27, 2018
Interesting

(1) (Reply)

Uruguay Vs France 06/07/18 3pm / Brazil Vs Mexico : – The Best Of Commebol Vs The Best Of Concacaf / Members Of Protest Group Gets Jail Time For Disrupting World Cup Final

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.