Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,765 members, 7,820,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

A Call To Action And Not Prayers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Call To Action And Not Prayers (334 Views)

Let Our Anger, Pain Translate To Action, Soldiers Only Shoot At 100 Not At 1000 / Dss Alerts Of Planned Violent Action; And Violence In The Country / President Buhari Trekking Home After Eid Prayers In Daura (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Call To Action And Not Prayers by timi0103(m): 11:20am On Jun 29, 2018
In spate of the numerous killings across the nation by a particular group (the Fulani herdsmen), I remember the draconian and supersonic speed at which Mr President dealt decisively with Biafran agitators in the South Eastern part of Nigeria shortly after he arrived from his overseas medical trip in London (due to the failure of our health care system). The group was proscribed a terrorist organization without ''due process''. We have a healthcare system that cannot even guarantee the safety of our politically exposed personalities how much more the ordinary citizens like you and I? It is just too sad for me this morning. You noticed I haven't written in a very long time, the situation is alarming and there's just so much chaos and pandemonium in the land.
Without any much ado, I refuse to be downcast and wallow in self pity this morning. With the series of killings, statistics coming in from amnesty international this morning says, 1800 people have been killed from January till now by herdsmen, need I remind you that a Nigerian goes poor every 6 minutes? We're the headquarters of world's poorest country with over 80 million poor people from a population of less than 200 million. We received this baton from India with a population of over 1.3 billion people. It beats my imagination honestly.
Now why the rants, facts and figures you may ask? I've been seeing loads of prayers and counter prayers. Excuse me friends, there's no country that prays more than Nigeria, we have the highest number of churches, mosques and traditional institutions. How many prayers does the whole of Europe and America say? Think smart. Prayers is not the only panacea to our myriads of challenges facing us.
What makes a country great:
1. A system that works
2. Policies that are people oriented
3. When policies are implemented and rule of law is enforced and adhered to by all including Mr President. How many times have the presidency violated court injunctions?
Prayers cannot do any of the following. God already gave us sense maximise fully. It is not God that will create a functional healthcare system that works, he won't enforce policies to prevent tankers from exploding during the day. People it's high time we prayed for wisdom and take practical steps to solving Nigeria's problem. Let's use our brains people!
Prayers will not reduce the humongous salaries of your legislators, prayers will not give you stable power supply, prayer will not stop SARS brutality and shenanigans.
You know what will? Policies that works and are people oriented. Nigeria is the most praying country with the highest number of churches & mosques. Have you ever studied how atheist countries are excelling? Policies that works.
One of those numerous moments you're sad to be a Nigerian.
Let's hold our leaders and policy makers responsible. Enough is enough.
Oke Timilehin J

(1) (Reply)

Even In Silicon Valley, Osinbajo Redefining The Office Of Vice President By Bern / Police Shooting At Political Supporters In Ekiti State / Governor Ambode Arrives Russia, Pledges To Send Stranded Nigerians Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.