Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

I Will Fight To My Last Breath - Esther Kiobel On Her 22-year Battle With Shell - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Will Fight To My Last Breath - Esther Kiobel On Her 22-year Battle With Shell (395 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu’s Rearrest: ‘nigeria In Its Last Breath’ – ADF Warns Buhari / 22-Year-Old Ojukwu And His Aunty, Winifred, On His Return From Oxford In 1955 / Dino Melaye: I Will Fight For A Better Society Through My Movie Roles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Will Fight To My Last Breath - Esther Kiobel On Her 22-year Battle With Shell by Naijiant: 1:50pm On Jun 29, 2018
A year ago today, Esther Kiobel stood on the steps of the Palace of Justice in The Hague. It had taken over twenty years to get there, but she had just filed a landmark case against the oil giant Shell over what she says is its role in the 1995 execution of her husband Dr. Barinem Kiobel. Dr Kiobel, a former government official, was hanged by the Nigerian military government in connection with widespread protests against oil pollution in the Niger Delta.

“We love him to death,” Esther says of her late husband more than two decades after she last saw him in prison. “His spirit is still crying, looking for justice.”

In the 1990s, Ogoniland, the oil-rich region of the Niger Delta where the Kiobels are from, was of huge economic importance to both Shell and the Nigerian government. Both parties panicked when protests, under the leadership of the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP), broke out against environmental destruction caused bv Shell’s operations.
More: https://www.naijiant.com/guestcolumn/i-will-fight-to-my-last-breath-esther-kiobel-on-her-22-year-battle-to-get-shell-in-court/

(1) (Reply)

Decreasing Global Poverty Rate And Increasing Northern Nigerian Poverty Rate - S / Yoruba Moslems Have Started Again / PDP Rejects Dino Melaye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 5
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.