Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,980 members, 7,835,282 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

First Football Player To Come Out Openly As Gay. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / First Football Player To Come Out Openly As Gay. (512 Views)

3 Male Friends Openly Come Out As Gay In Viral Video Causes Stir Online. / Young Nigerian Man Opens Up To His Parents As Gay, And The Outcome? / Bobrisky Reacts Paul Arduad ’s Anal Cancer Death, Writes On How To Live As Gay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Football Player To Come Out Openly As Gay. by Nobody: 5:41am On Jun 30, 2018
MLS midfielder Collin Martin has become the only openly gay male professional sportsman in America.

The Minnesota United star, 23, made the announcement that he has come out on social media and encouraged others in a similar situation to do the same.
He has come out in public on the eve of the club's celebration of gay pride.

The former DC United man said: "Tonight my team, Minnesota United, is having their Pride night.

"It's an important night for me - I'll be announcing for the first time publicly that I am an openly gay player in Major League Soccer.

"I have been out as a gay man for many years to my family and friends, and this includes my team-mates.
"I'm proud that my entire team and the management of Minnesota United know that I am gay.

"I have received only kindness and acceptance from everyone in Major League Soccer and that has made the decision to come out publicly that much easier."

Former Leeds United, Stevenage and LA Galaxy star Robbie Rogers was the last MLS star to come out.

He retired after leaving Elland Road, but returned to football just months later.
he last high-profile American athlete to come out was Michael Sam, who did so just ahead of the 2014 NFL draft.

And now Martin has followed in their footsteps.

He added: "In light of my experience as a professional athlete, I want to take this moment to encourage others who play sports professionally or otherwise to have confidence that sport will welcome them wholeheartedly.

"June is pride month, and I am proud to be playing for pride, and to be playing as an out gay man."

Re: First Football Player To Come Out Openly As Gay. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:49am On Jun 30, 2018
His choice in life!
....or perhaps, not his choice!
Re: First Football Player To Come Out Openly As Gay. by pyyxxaro: 6:25am On Jun 30, 2018
OLUMO ROCK AND BULLDOZER FALL ON HIS LEGS AND GREASY TESTES lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: First Football Player To Come Out Openly As Gay. by cdqyehyeh(m): 8:02am On Jun 30, 2018
if dis one na keeper, every shot issa goal. hin yanch wud av ...... .......

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Another 200 People Given Their Jobs Back / Tinubu’s Alphabeta Consulting Firm In Alleged Money Laundering Scandal / The Shocking Moment 2 Pythons Dropped Through Ceiling While Fighting Over Female

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.