Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,363 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:18 AM

Common Mistakes In Spoken English - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Mistakes In Spoken English (989 Views)

Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? / Please How Can I Improve My Spoken English / How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Mistakes In Spoken English by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 3:49pm On Jun 30, 2018
There are many errors Nigerians make in speaking English language. The following expressions are some of them:

1. The man has come since (wrong)
The man has come a long time ago, or He has come since morning (there is need to mention a particular time).

2. We are gisting about the issue (wrong).
We are having a gist about the issue ( the word 'gist' should be used as a noun, not as a verb).

3. The car was reversing back when it crashed (wrong).
The car was reversing when it crashed or was moving back when it crashed (the words 'reverse back' should not be used together as they are tautological).

4. I can be able to do it (wrong).
I can do it or I am able to do it ( do not combine the two verbs one after the other)

5. My inlaws have come on a visit (wrong).
My brother-in-law ( or whatever -in-law) has come on a visit. (There is need to be specific).

6. The youths are restless, most especially the male (wrong).
The youths are restless, especially the male (do not use 'most' and 'especially' together.

7. Tony is more clever than James (wrong).
Tony is cleverer than James ( the appropriate comparative word for clever is cleverer).

2 Likes

Re: Common Mistakes In Spoken English by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 4:31pm On Jul 08, 2018
8. We discussed about the matter (wrong).
We discussed the matter or We talked about the matter, is correct. Discuss means talk about.

9. I dropped from the bus at Ojota (wrong).
I alighted from the bus at Ojota is the correct way of saying it.

10. The police is coming (wrong).
The police are coming. This is because police is a collective noun that takes plural tense, just like people. You can however have a sentence like A policeman is coming.

11. Me and my brother live there (wrong).
My brother and I live there (right).

12. You can enter 'okada' at the bus stop (wrong).
You can go by a bike/ motorcycle at the bus stop (correct).

13. My case is more special than your own (wrong).
My case is special or My case is more significant than your own (correct).

14. Andy carried first in the examinations (wrong).
Andy came first in the examinations (right).
Re: Common Mistakes In Spoken English by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 5:29pm On Aug 10, 2018
15. You are late, so therefore, you cannot write the examinations (Wrong)
You are late, so you cannot write the examinations
or
You are late, therefore you cannot write the examinations (Right).

16. You can go on your own, should in case I am not around (Wrong).

You can go on your own, in case I am not around (Right).

17. She is old, still yet, she bleaches her skin (Wrong)

She is old, still (or, yet) she bleaches her skin (Right)

18. I told him I can do it (Wrong)

I told him I could do it (Right. This is because there is no concord of tenses in the use of 'told' and 'can'.)
Re: Common Mistakes In Spoken English by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 8:44am On Aug 16, 2018
18. The wrong insertion of apostrophe mark ( ' ) e.g
It is your's, if you want (Wrong).

It is yours, if you want (Correct).

19. The people has decided (Wrong).
The people have decided (Riught. 'people' is a collective noun in the plural sense and must have a plural tense).

20. The boy has rang the bell (Wrong).
The boy has rung the bell (Right. The use of 'has' as an auxiliary verb means the verb that immediately follows it must be a participle, not a simple past tense).
Re: Common Mistakes In Spoken English by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 11:47am On Aug 24, 2018
21. On Friday, we wil have a night vigil (wrong).

On Friday, we will have a vigil
or On Friday, we will have an all-night service (Right. This is because using night and vigil together is tautological)

22. The idea was conceieved from the onset (Wrong)
The idea was conceived from the outset (Right)

23. What he said was insultive (Wrong)

What he said was insulting (Right. The correct adjective for insult is insulting, not insultive).

24. She had sang during the ocassion (Wrong)

She had sung [or She sang] during the ocassion (Right).
Re: Common Mistakes In Spoken English by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 9:46am On Aug 27, 2018
25. Each of the boys are expected to come (Wrong).

Each of the boys is expected to come (Right. This is because each is a singular pronoun that takes a singular verb such as 'is' or 'was'.)

26. As it is, neither the students nor the teacher know the answer (Wrong)

As it is, neither the students nor the teacher knows the answer (Right. In concord of proximity of subject, the subject close(r) to the tense is 'the teacher', which is a singular subject. The singular verb must be used for a singular object.)

27. As it is, neither the teacher nor the students knows the answer (Wrong).

As it is, neither the teacher nor the students know the answer (Right. This time around, the closer subject to the verb is 'the students', which is in the plural. The plural verb is needed here.)

28. His English, both written and oral, are good (Wrong).

His English, both written and oral, is good (Right. The word English is the subject and when used as a noun - like in this context - it must be followed by a singular verb.)

Dear readers, comments or questions are welcome.
Re: Common Mistakes In Spoken English by ThrillPlus: 2:42pm On May 14, 2021
Good effort.
Re: Common Mistakes In Spoken English by Janet96(f): 11:16am On Jul 13, 2021
Good write up

(1) (Reply)

Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country / Nigerian Teachers Professional Qualifying Examination - All You Need To Know / Medical Laboratory Science What You Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.