Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,196 members, 7,818,652 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Canada Imposes Tariffs On US Goods. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Canada Imposes Tariffs On US Goods. (460 Views)

Chad's Army Dissolves Parliament, Government. Imposes Curfew, Shuts Borders / US Imposes Sanctions On Iranian Steel And Other Metals / Trump China Trade Deal Agreed, US To Roll Back Tariffs In Stages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada Imposes Tariffs On US Goods. by Cletus77(m): 1:19am On Jul 02, 2018
Canada on Sunday began imposing tariffs on $12.6 billion worth of American goods like ketchup, pizza and iron in a tit-for-tat retaliation for President Trump’s slapping fines on steel and aluminum imported into the United States, according to reports.

​Trump placed the ​25 percent tax on steel and 10 percent on aluminum on June 1 against American allies Canada, Mexico and the European Union.

​In retaliation, Canada slapped 25 percent tariffs on steel and iron, while hitting 250 other US goods including maple syrup, dishwasher detergent, coffee beans and strawberry jam with a 10 percent penalty, the Associated Press reported.

​The Trump administration said Canada was a national security threat because of the imports even though the country is the US’ second-biggest trading partner behind China.

Speaking on Canada Day, marking the country’s 151st birthday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau mixed tariff talk with birthday wishes​.

“This is who we are, we’re there for each other in times of difficulty, in times of opportunity. We lean on each other and we stand strong and that’s what we do from coast to coast to coast,” Trudeau said​ during a visit to ​Leamington, Ontario, known as Canada’s tomato capital.

​The town is home to a food-processing plant that supplies tomato paste to French’s, a competitor of Kraft Heinz. ​

Mexico and the EU have already imposed a number of tariffs on American goods, including on Kentucky bourbon, Wisconsin-made Harley-Davidson motorcycles and Florida orange juice.

Source: https://nypost.com/2018/07/01/canada-begins-imposing-tariffs-on-us-goods/

Re: Canada Imposes Tariffs On US Goods. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:21am On Jul 02, 2018
They will sort themselves out, they are neigbours.
Good way to go.....
Re: Canada Imposes Tariffs On US Goods. by Omololu2121: 1:52am On Jul 02, 2018
post=69002744:
Good way to go.....
for now those tariffs will stand.

Donald trump will only renegotiate and make sure the deal favors the USA, I love this Trump sha

2 Likes

Re: Canada Imposes Tariffs On US Goods. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:53am On Jul 02, 2018
Omololu2121:
for now those tariffs will stand.

Donald trump will only renegotiate and make sure the deal favors the USA, I love this Trump sha
It's more of a tit for tat thingy now.
We will see who it favours more with time.
Re: Canada Imposes Tariffs On US Goods. by Cletus77(m): 1:54am On Jul 02, 2018
post=69002744:
Good way to go.....
I like the Canadian courage
Re: Canada Imposes Tariffs On US Goods. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:55am On Jul 02, 2018
Cletus77:

I like the Canadian courage
Me too.
That is how it is suppose to be.
They drop it as it is HOT .
No time to waste time!
Re: Canada Imposes Tariffs On US Goods. by Cletus77(m): 1:57am On Jul 02, 2018
I don't know what trump was thinking when he placed those tariffs. It's kind of funny because he knows Mexico, Canada and the EU will not be intimidated.

(1) (Reply)

Steve Hill African American Satanist Running For Congress In California USA / EXPOSED: Secret Service Was Paying Trump $2,000 Daily / CNN Poll: 51% Say Senate Should Remove Trump From Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.