Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,257 members, 7,826,012 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Late Prof Adedeji: Osinbajo, Gowon, African Leaders Extol His Pan Africanist - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Late Prof Adedeji: Osinbajo, Gowon, African Leaders Extol His Pan Africanist (251 Views)

What Late Prof Dora Akunyili Said About Peter Obi (Video) / Osinbajo, Gowon, Jonathan, Others Attend Shonekan’s Funeral / Odumakin: Oyetola, Fayemi, Makinde, Ooni Pay Last Tributes, Extol His Virtues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Late Prof Adedeji: Osinbajo, Gowon, African Leaders Extol His Pan Africanist by jamesblog(m): 11:23pm On Jul 07, 2018
The Vice President of Nigeria, Professor Yemi Osimbajo, other African Leaders and Academia, Saturday, poured encomium on late Professor Adebayo Adedeji for his Pan Africanist ideals and economic development for Africa unity.

Some of the personalities that attended the memorial symposium in honour of Prof. Adedeji, yesterday in Lagos after been buried on Friday in his home town Ijebu Ode, Ogun State, include: Hage Geingo, President of Liberia, General Yakubu Gowon, Amos Sawyer, former President of Liberia, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari, Former Minister of External Affairs and Permanent Representative of Nigeria to the United Nations, Eloho, Otobo, Former staff member of the United Nations and many others.

Addressing crowd of people at the memorial symposium in honour of Prof Adedeji in Lagos, Osinbajo, said that Prof. Adedeji was a towering figure of Africa’s immediate post-colonial period, a public facing intellectual whose thinking and contributions continue to frame policy discourse in Nigeria, Africa and indeed globally.
He said:“He acted in such roles and positions to advance his Pan-Africanist ideals. He was committed to improving the conditions of the African people and by extension improving the governance and economic situation of their countries.”
Represented by Dr.Yemi Dipeolu, Special Adviser on economy to President Muhammadu Buhari, he said: “A lot more will undoubtedly be said about these things in the course of this symposium but one cannot talk about Prof Adedeji’s legacy without talking about regional integration in Africa. He was in many respects the father of African integration.”
He further disclosed that under the leadership of General Gowon and late President Eyadema, Prof Adedeji did a lot of the heavy-lifting to create the Economic Community of West African States, ECOWAS, an experience he later on leveraged to help establish the Preferential Free Trade Area of East and Southern Africa, now COMESA.
He stated: “Equally significant in this regard was the role that he played as Executive Secretary of the Economic Commission for Africa, ECA in articulating the Lagos Plan of Action and the final Act of Lagos which formed the intellectual and official lode stones for subsequent decisions to establish the African Economic Community, the African Union and the African Continental Free Trade Area.”
In his own remark, former Nigeria Head of States, General Yakubu Gowon, described Prof. Adedeji as an excellent choice as Commissioner of Economic Development of Nigeria that had just emerged from the ravages of a 30 month conflict in the 1970’s.
According to him: “He had vision; he knew how to key in to the vision of other people and he was blessed with an uncommon capacity to implement plans that turned dreams to reality.
I never knew him personally before I appointed him as a Commissioner in my cabinet. But he came highly recommended. When I met him, he lived up to every word that was spoken of him. When he worked with me , I saw an immensely brilliant patriot who perfectly fitted the role of manager of the engine room of our national assignment of Reconstruction, Rehabilitation(3-R).
He declared that Prof Adedeji’s imprint was bold in his government’s ambitious 3rd National Development Plan(1975-1980). “He led the team that of experts that put together the plan that was intended to lead Nigeria to a new age. That plan, regrettably, was thrown overboard for political expediency by our successors. I also cannot forget his key role in the birth of ECOWAS.”
Meanwhile, in her welcome address, Dr. Vera Songwe, Executive Secretary of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa in his speech, titled” Africa’s Development Agenda: Lessons from the Adebayo Adedeji Years and Policy Options for the 21st Century” said: “Celebration of Life” – a clear message delivered during the service held yesterday, (Friday) in the Cathedral Church of Our Savior Ita-Olowajoda, Ijebu Ode. Professor Adebayo Adedeji left us an unforgettable legacy of life, commitment and service to the continent, at personal, social and professional levels. As stated yesterday by President Geingob, Professor Adedeji was fully engaged in the economic independence of Africa, making of it his career flag.”
She said , during the 16 years he served the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa as the Executive Secretary, structural transformation was his mantra for Africa, a “good fight” that still guides the economic thinking of the institution that she currently lead.

Source: https://newsenterz..com/2018/07/late-prof-adedeji-osinbajo-gowon.html

1 Like

Re: Late Prof Adedeji: Osinbajo, Gowon, African Leaders Extol His Pan Africanist by bigsunnel: 11:00am On Jul 09, 2018
PYO

(1) (Reply)

I Was Duly Nominated As APGA Senatorial Candidate -senator Umeh Testify In Court / Rule Of Law Or Lawlessness - Which Do You Prefer? / Secondus: Ekiti Has Been Militarised, Citizens Are Afraid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.