Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,730 members, 7,831,328 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

Nouns You May Find Difficult To Pluralise - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nouns You May Find Difficult To Pluralise (327 Views)

Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? / Funny Collective Nouns For Some Animals You May Not Know / Types Of Nouns In English You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nouns You May Find Difficult To Pluralise by Vistakademia(m): 6:43am On Jul 11, 2018
Do you know one of the most interesting topics in English we like to take in Primary/Elementary School? It was 'Singular and Plural' because it was just a case of adding any of the following suffixes:

‘s’ as in bucket/buckets, list/lists, book/books, spoon/spoons, etc.

‘es’ as in brush/brushes, church/churches, bush/bushes, fish/fishes (different ones) etc.

‘ies’ as in lorry/lorries, lady/ladies, berry/berries, baby/babies, cherry/cherries, etc.

‘ves’ to nouns ending in ‘f’ – knife/knives, leaf/leaves, shelf/shelves, loaf/loaves,

I'm sure you liked the topic too back then. Good! However, the English Language comprises words derived from many other languages of the world such as Greek, Latin, French, German, Italian, etc. and most nouns with foreign origins have their plural formed differently from the way other English nouns form their plurals.

If I may ask you, what are the plural forms of these 20 nouns?

Vortex
Syllabus
Stadium
Alga
Alumna
Analysis
Antenna
Bandit
Basis
Bureau
Focus
Gateau
Radius
Vita
Furniture
Machinery
Pajamas
Scissors
News
Music

Now, don't you run away because you agreed with me a while ago that you too liked singular and plural.

The 20 words above are single words; what about compound words? How do you pluralise the following compound words?

Father-in-law
Attorney-General
Major-General
Order-in-council
Court-martial
Poet laureate
Chief of staff
Judge advocate
Passer-by
Go-between

Don't you give up now! Don't yelle you can't correctly pluralise these compound words.

Anyway, check this out and you will be able to access more information on nouns and their plural forms! You can send me your feedback, thank you.

https://akademia.com.ng/nouns-and-their-plural-forms/
Re: Nouns You May Find Difficult To Pluralise by kolafolabi(m): 7:19am On Jul 11, 2018
Weldone Op.. Nice write up!

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

FUTO Post UTME 2018 PREP (maths Past Questions Solved 2014/2015- Part 1) / School ID Card Related Problems For NYSC Camp Registration 2018 Batch B / Pidgin, Shorthand, Causes Of Mass Failure In English — WAEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.