Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,676 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe (22255 Views)

The Return Of Parked Tankers On Expressways In Lagos (PHOTOS) / Finally, Parked Trucks Are Getting Off Expressways And Bridges In Lagos (PHOTOS) / Ambode’s Wire-mesh Fence On Expressways Are Being Vandalized (see PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by doctokwus: 12:44pm On Jul 12, 2018
dierich:

I think I know this restaurant should be either Benin or Delta
Just to type this you quoted the whole stuff. You need deliverance

6 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by SAMBARRY: 12:45pm On Jul 12, 2018
Embarking on journeys in Nigeria are very stressful, irritating and annoying

If fellow passengers aren't behaving in annoying ways such as talking loudly on phone, Someone is scratching armpit Or someone is preaching non stop in the car or bus.on many occasions you will even have to beg the driver before he turns off his lousy music so you can enjoy some silence in your journey .i didn't even talk about Co passengers farting in a cramped up and unventilated bus

When someone then says he wants to stop and urinate or the driver wants to stop at the petrol station to buy fuel and you think you will finally rest from the nonsense, you will see all these nige children or handicapped adults begging almost wanting to put their bowls into your eyes if you are not careful.

The sweet and chewing gum vendors nko? If you don't buy they will insult the living day light out of you as if na you be their problem

Then when you finally get to your destination,okada men will crowd your car dragging your arms and luggages.while walking through them you have to walk with self consciousness so that Pick pockets dont steal your phone or wallet

The thing is there are a lot of maniacs on our roads and we as Nigerians we are totally inconsiderate to the sensibilities of other Nigerians.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by okwabayi(m): 12:45pm On Jul 12, 2018
ariyebaba:
Drivers eat free foods

cheesy
This is their biggest incentive for picking a preferred spot. Many times I have traveled people have begged the driver to stop somewhere else instead of the usual go-to-restaurant. The pleas always fall on deaf ears because the only thing on the driver's mind is that free meal.

2 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Toylove: 12:46pm On Jul 12, 2018
dierich:

I think I know this restaurant
should be either Benin or Delta
Ore
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Willexmania(m): 12:46pm On Jul 12, 2018
Iamdmentor1:
Banana and groundnut is what I must buy whenever on a trip. One can get a very huge bunch of banana for N300 if one can bargain well.

That was how I entered into one restaurant one day at Ore. The cleaner was extremely caring and showed me so much hospitality. He guided me to the rest room, told me to wash my hands with one soap (I refused.. this is Nigeria). When I was done he was looking at me awkwardly. I also was looking at him then he said "bros na wa for you o... Find me small thing na" I just laughed and left.
You Just Left?
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by MiamiePizza(m): 12:57pm On Jul 12, 2018
dierich:

I think I know this restaurant
should be either Benin or Delta
it's at ore, still passed by it on Tuesday... surely gonna rest there again hopefully next month when I go for my post utme exams
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Untainted007: 1:12pm On Jul 12, 2018
chloride6:

Company pays for the driver's food

Thanks for shedding light on that. I thought its compensation for driving down the customer to their canteens.
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by CSTR1005: 1:15pm On Jul 12, 2018
I always buy suya at ore.
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by 1shortblackboy: 1:16pm On Jul 12, 2018
ah autojosh ur spot on. lagos ph - ore stopover. lagos abuja lokoja stopover

4 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Gracesofar(m): 1:18pm On Jul 12, 2018
U reminded me of those stopover restaurant in lokoja while on transit to Kaduna those days.

I must just buy suya and cigar to reload
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Gracesofar(m): 1:24pm On Jul 12, 2018
ariyebaba:
Drivers eat free foods

cheesy

No wonder I do see those GIGM drivers coming at with tooth pick and bottle water. I was always pitying they would spend all their money on food

1 Like

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by fruqy(m): 1:27pm On Jul 12, 2018
The Mai Suyas. Travelling to the northern part of the country, you can't miss them. And it's always super cheap. grin grin
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by naturefellow(m): 1:50pm On Jul 12, 2018
ChiefOkafor:
All these you only get using road transport. That's why I travel by air.
whatever flies today began by walking yesterday... You travel by air never makes you better than road travellers. Road trips are rich with diverse experiences, long, often stressful, and risky especially in present day Nigeria. On the other hand, travel by air is brisk, and so with less experiences as seen on road trips. Travel hazards are infrequent but often catastrophic when they occur.

Autojosh did a nice job by documenting his road trip experience, something that has not been done here before. Original!
You should document your air travel too, don't you think?

8 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by mkoabiola: 2:04pm On Jul 12, 2018
drivers food NA free ooooooooo

I remember wen I was traveling to pH at every spot u stop ,he was given free food den he wil pass it to me cos I covered him up wen he had a disagreement with d passenger which may lead to his sack.

D driver refuse to stop at a restaurant he knows free food is not certain.

1 Like

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by ifeanyi83(m): 2:34pm On Jul 12, 2018
Overly priced food and water....

1 Like

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Shedrack777: 2:38pm On Jul 12, 2018
ChiefOkafor:
All these you only get using road transport. That's why I travel by air.
Team witches and wizards. You've exposed yourself
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 12, 2018
good article but autojosh has apparently not travelled in the north, else he wouldn't miss one very obvious something : the highly spiritual folks. There will always be a mosque at stop over stations and not a few musulmans would go and perform their salat.
May God epp you if you are on the road on a Friday, at 1pm, patience would be your middle name.
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by yanke5065: 3:04pm On Jul 12, 2018
popular nataco junction lokoja....enof Colorado and Arizona, #Rastafarian understand me
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by JastSiryin(m): 3:08pm On Jul 12, 2018
naturefellow:
whatever flies today began by walking yesterday... You travel by air never makes you better than road travellers. Road trips are rich with diverse experiences, long and treacherous especially in present day Nigeria. On the other hand, travel by air is brisk, and so with less experiences seen on road trips. Travel hazards are infrequent but often catastrophic when they occur.

Autojosh did a nice job by documenting his road trip experience, something that has not been done here before. Original!
You should document your air travel too, don't you think?
Bros you for no even reply am

2 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Tulampa02(m): 3:19pm On Jul 12, 2018
The name of the fast food is True Class at Ore, then concerning the Drivers there package is more than food alone, they have a card they mark anytime they stop in any fast food, if they mark 30 which is 30 trips, they will be entitled to 10k as salary, I.e 10k for 30 trips, that does not stop free food in each of the trips. They will be given gifts again during festive period like Easter, Xmas and new Year. That is d main reason y a driver will not listen to any passenger concerning d choice of were to stop in Ore. He will like to complete is card and get is cash. They still attash promo to encourage them to stop over anytime they are on d road.

3 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 12, 2018
Autojosh, that restaurant is at Ore. You go Benin?
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by HomeOfMe(f): 4:07pm On Jul 12, 2018
autojosh:

Traveling by road could be very exhausting. It also comes with a great deal of discomfort – especially when you are traveling in a compact commercial vehicle.

During such trips, there are always requests, by passengers, for the vehicle to stop for an opportunity to pee, or to stretch one’s legs, or simply to survive claustrophobia.

Often, and due to security concerns, drivers of commercial vehicles prefer making these occasional stops only at designated rest areas. These rest areas, or stopover restaurants – situated along major inter-state expressways – offer drivers and passengers facilities that enable them to rest, eat, or refuel without any security concern.

These rest areas are typically a beehive of activities. However, certain elements are peculiar to most of them.

Autojosh presents, “Stop-Over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe There”.

The DJ/Music Vendor

As soon as you drive into these rest areas, the high volume sounds blasting from huge speakers gets your immediate attention. These speakers belong to the resident DJ/DVD sellers. As many audio materials are played within minutes, in anticipation that one of them would win the interest of the passengers during the brief moments they would be resting from traveling fatigue.

The fruit sellers

At these rest areas, you find – on display for sale – different types of fruits that are in season. These fresh fruits are typically appealing to the senses. However, if you think that because you are in a rural setup, then you would get these fruits cheap, then you are in for a shocker. The fruit sellers in such places tend to believe that travelers are moneyed people. Their price offers for these fruits are mostly unfriendly to the pocket – costing far more than they are sold in urban setups. However, with a good bargaining skill, you can acquire some of the fruits.

The “Mai Suya”

As soon as you disembark from your vehicle, to elicit your interest, they offer you a small piece of suya, typically on stick. This antic is necessary in order to lure you to their barbecue stand. They are the “mai suyas” or or Suya sellers

Sometimes, you wonder how they make profit, after giving out so much samples of suya to countless number of travelers, many of whom do not eventually patronize them.

The Newspaper vendor

Journeys could be boring. So passengers look for every opportunity to kill boredom during the trips. The newspaper vendor understand this. So, they set up shops at these rest places.

The paparazzi

These are some young people who are equipped with some camera. These cameras are typically some out-of-dated, low megapixel Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, Sony camera, etc.

They harass passengers with a proposal to “take them picture”. Peace will elude you during your brief stay at these rest areas unless you firmly decline the proposal of these paparazzi.

Beggars

They are all over the premises. They move from one passengers to the other. They carry out a campaign designed to either emotionally blackmail you for money – or to trade prayers for money.

The Good Samaritans

These set of people – mostly women –approach passengers with printed documents. These documents are made available to prove to passengers that they are certified to collect donations on behalf of some vague orphanage or motherless babies’ home.

The waiting passengers

This set of passengers are typically not interested in the offerings of these rest places. Well, except for, maybe, water or some light snack, they purchase nothing. Instead, they loiter the premises while waiting for the resumption of their journey.

The Main Restaurants

The restaurants offer different kinds of cooked meals and snacks. Typically, in order to lure patronage, they provide free toilet facilities for stopover passengers. They also have seats for passengers who are waiting to resume their trips, and who might not necessarily be interested in patronizing the restaurants for food or drinks.

The oversubscribed toilets

The toilets in the restaurant entertain great patronage from the visitors. The most active are often the female toilets.

The Delaying Or Missing Passenger

This set of passengers seem to believe that they have all day to rest at these rest places. When everyone has reconvened in the vehicle for departure, they are always nowhere to be found. A search party would then be constituted to locate them and to remind them that that the rest area is not their final destinations.

https://autojosh.com/stop-over-restaurants-along-inter-state-expressways-10-things-you-would-observe-there/

This particular place looks familiar. Either between Ore and ofosu or around ughelli on the road to ph.
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by HomeOfMe(f): 4:09pm On Jul 12, 2018
ariyebaba:
Drivers eat free foods

cheesy
Exact you know. And they usually drive passengers to their favorite place why they give them free food.
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by HomeOfMe(f): 4:12pm On Jul 12, 2018
adejaresalami1:
Na so one suya man at lokoja lured me into tasting a nice warm meat like that and he sold to me spoiled meat .....I no dey ever buy suya inside bus again unless I dey with u for your roast stand.
I don't patronize those suya guys because most of the times Its either monkey meat,snake meat,human meat,dog meat and dead meat. I usually buy banana and groundnut with water,that's all.

2 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by GOFRONT(m): 4:13pm On Jul 12, 2018
Back when I was broke as a student, Lokoja -Abuja stop over Restaurant almost ended my journey to Kaduna.....Food too cost.

After finishin two plates and bottle water, when they bill me, I lose form....

Since then, na Bitter lemon and okpa sure pass for me oo
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by HomeOfMe(f): 4:14pm On Jul 12, 2018
Untainted007:
Don't forget to add that

The driver's food is free in accordance to the number of customers he direct to the food vendor. With better assorted meats while passengers foods are rationalised to compensate the driver.
That's true.
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by HomeOfMe(f): 4:22pm On Jul 12, 2018
urbanemind:
70% of d time, the Missing Passenger is a Woman...
Na true o.

1 Like

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by HomeOfMe(f): 4:25pm On Jul 12, 2018
Kingwizzy16:
Waiting passengers mostly women

They will be waiting around the bus the moment everyone starts coming out to enter the bus they will then go in to buy something or pee
Very annoying sets of peeps
Can be very annoying.
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by HoodBillionaire: 4:43pm On Jul 12, 2018
y na say wen passengers board ac bus
evrrybody go lock up
immediately dem reach ore
chop
shitt
piss
baaz
buy tske away. suddenly everyone in the bus would start gisting.
driver go dey use toothpick dey battle wit meat
i hate ore

1 Like

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by lastmaster(m): 4:55pm On Jul 12, 2018
I never eat on the way while traveling. To avoid eating lizard or human flesh. if you know, you know.
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by engrkaz(m): 6:10pm On Jul 12, 2018
The cigar men
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by izyiyke31: 6:31pm On Jul 12, 2018
The drivers receive incentives for stopping at a particular resting place every year

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Nairalandler’s Trip Back To The U.S / Policeman Caused Death Of My Brother In Accident In Warri - Man Cries Out (Pics) / How To Pass The Interview For America Visa Lottery Winners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.