Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,289 members, 7,811,863 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths (16754 Views)

ASUU Strike: How Nigerian Universities Voted / If I Do Masters Make I Bend: I Changed That Mentality After Writing This Exam. / Who Is To Be Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths:parents Or Teachers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Gerrard59(m): 2:42pm On Jul 12, 2018
Factfinder1:
Going to school in Nigeria is a waste of time and money ....where are the after school jobs??

JSS1 : I want to be a Doctor
SS1:I want to be an Engineer
8 Years Later: Contact Me for Your ITunes Gift Card for Instant Cash Out

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by hennyholla17(m): 2:43pm On Jul 12, 2018
nigg:
I think he does not understand what the mechanical engineers do?
it's just a figure of speech
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by ugybabe2020(f): 3:23pm On Jul 12, 2018
AZeD1:

What did you do(drink/eat/smoke) to come up with this sh*t?

Do you know the work of a mechanical engineer? Heck do you know the job of an engineer?
my brother is learning mechanic at papa chioma's mechanic shop.He is a graduate of mechanical engineer.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by treasuremi1(m): 3:24pm On Jul 12, 2018
It should also be noted that many youths don't know where their passion lies. They don't know what they want to do in life. They just want to be rich. That's all. That's why many parents choose career they feel its best for their children.
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by millionboi2: 3:26pm On Jul 12, 2018
ZAGMAN:
Education is very important.
Who is talking about education here?

is depending on the paper thy issue u after schl.
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by millionboi2: 3:31pm On Jul 12, 2018
LZAA:

I have said it before and i will still say it again
Not evrybdy can be an entrpreneur
Even the west u are looking to have many industries and encourage art
Bill gates?carlos slim?ali baba dude?(notice i didn't call dangote cuz his wealth is ala abrahamovich aka govt sponsored)
One yoruba actor slammed d industry and said he made more as a security guard than he did as an actor
U can see d difference
Oga everybody can.

That's d easiest way to overcome poverty,
Stop deceiving urselv,as u can b selling something within ur office or at home.
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by millionboi2: 3:41pm On Jul 12, 2018
ugybabe2020:
my brother is learning mechanic at papa chioma's mechanic shop.He is a graduate of mechanical engineer.
As far as he is seeing

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 12, 2018
writerights:

Bros, if he succeeds in implementing the same archaic tradition on your sister, the blame should be entirely on you. I have been fighting my way through every decision since I way in SS 1. It was late already because I was in the science arm when it was obvious I belong to the art. My creativity, oratory skill, confidence at anything regarding argument and talks clearly distinct me from my peers even up until now but I was naive. I found out how terrible the effect of that singular decision was but it was late already.

My immediate brother followed suit even when they knew that one isn't as sound as I am academically. Well I have been doing fine but my joy would have known no bound if I were in the art. I would have moved at the speed of light.

But guess what! My youngest brother was never to fall victim of such decision. I told them he wouldn't ever go to the science class. He's clearly not meant to be there. He would fair better in the commercial arm. I allowed them see reasons and I don't ever back down of any argument whenever such comes up. Not again! I take every decision that concerns him now and I won't be tired of doing so, whether they like it or not. And that's what I want you to do. Save your dear sister too.

I don't exactly have a say as she's begun to believe it herself. She barely made it through the sciences and had to write Jamb twice. Two WAECs and one GCE. Waiting for the results of this WAEC before I put my mouth for their matter. I hope you understand.
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Sarang(f): 4:04pm On Jul 12, 2018
AZeD1:

Do you know the work of a mechanical engineer? Heck do you know the job of an engineer?

Engineers make something. Mecanics fix it. Is it not Naija again.. our mechanics nah engineers nah
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by cornel9297: 4:25pm On Jul 12, 2018
AZeD1:

hmmm
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by tunjidayo: 4:26pm On Jul 12, 2018
i read educational management but ave been in the marketing line for sometimes before now just to put food on my table cos am married.but just this days someting keeps coming to mind cos i wish to be in the educational line as a lecturer,becos i dont ave passion for what am doing now.and am not financially bouyant to start my M.ED,pls i just need an idea or advice about how i can retrace my steps in other to achieve my goals,thanks for contributions
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by cornel9297: 4:27pm On Jul 12, 2018
AZeD1:

most mechanics are more useful to the society than 90% of on paper mechanical engineer.
Don't be blindfolded with pride

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by blimeyVic(m): 4:27pm On Jul 12, 2018
" If all Nigerians are doctors, lawyers,
accountants and engineers... "

Dear OP, the problem is that these professions create room for monopoly.

For instance, only a lawyer is licensed, and backed by the constitution, to give legal advice or sign certain official documents. This practice ensures that the monies to be earned from all legal services go to those in the legal profession ( some people argue that this barrier is fraudulent and must be dismantled).

On the flip side, is it only graduates of music that are singing on stages, releasing music albums, or doing voice-overs?
No law on earth hinders anyone from producing ISSA BANGER !!!

We all know that some lawyers are lunatics while some teachers are dearly sent from heaven, but what matters most, especially to parents forcing their wards to choose those over-hyped professions, is the fact that the constitution ensures that there is monopoly of supply for them and this translates to steady stream of income.

Well OP, If you had the opportunity to choose whom to father you, won't you choose dangote?

Anyway Sha, the only difference between a mechanic and a mechanical engineer is NOT a laminated paper.

# I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Eleniyan2018: 4:30pm On Jul 12, 2018
The state of our education is alarming
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by anath(m): 4:41pm On Jul 12, 2018
AZeD1:

Nice respond, some ppl don’t know d meaning of Mech Engr at all at all
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by AZeD1(m): 4:44pm On Jul 12, 2018
cornel9297:

most mechanics are more useful to the society than 90% of on paper mechanical engineer.
Don't be blindfolded with pride
And we wonder why Nigeria and Africa is terrible......

Don't compare a mechanic to a Mechanical Engineer....... They are world aparts.

ugybabe2020:

Who's fault is it that your brother chose not to learn in school?

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by iHart(m): 5:01pm On Jul 12, 2018
BabaIbo:
From my childhood thru my secondary school, I had dream of studying engineering (any of civil or chemical or petrochemical) in a federal university because I have the potential and what it takes but after sitting for post utme for × years, my dad(tho he initially allowed me to go for engineering) told me to choose a state university cos of ease of admission and the one he advised me to choose doesn't offer engineering, so I switched to Industrial Chemistry.
The truth is after graduation and NYSC. I sometimes wonder the relevance of that course because almost all the jobs in that field come with high experience requirements which makes it difficult for graduate to balance in that field and there are no graduate trainee program in the field (at least I have not seen any).
Sometimes I wonder why I didn't go for business/hustle
It is very wrong to say you don't know the relevance of Industrial Chemistry. There are so many Industrial Chemistry jobs but many are not advertised online. Let me give you a secret that have worked for me twice when I was searching for Job. Identify industrial hubs around you. Take for instance Atani area in Onitsha. Take a list of big pharmaceutical firms, food and beverage firms, oil and gas companies and cosmetics firms within there. Consider big private schools. Also consider firms outside the area but within the city. For instance, Divine Favour pharmaceutical is not within Atani but within "Onitsha". Build your CV, use a contact address around where the firms are located. Make sure you submit your CV to those firms within the first week of January. In the case of private schools, make sure you submit your CV at the beginning of the long vacation. If you can do it in not less than 50 firms, I bet you will get a Job latest in three months.

The truth is that if you are not successful with what you have now, it is very likely that you won't be successful with what you wished you had!!!
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by LZAA: 5:02pm On Jul 12, 2018
millionboi2:
Oga everybody can.

That's d easiest way to overcome poverty,
Stop deceiving urselv,as u can b selling something within ur office or at home.
Deceiving myself? Lol
The easiest way to overcome poverty is learning a skill weda in school or a company
Entrepreneurship is like the apex of a pyramid
Its crowded and very few make it
Its like being a top sportsman or musician
Its not as easy as those movitional books paint it
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Ezyp(m): 5:16pm On Jul 12, 2018
AZeD1:

Brother tell am o. Their shallow mind think mechanical engineer is about repairing cars.
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by millionboi2: 5:18pm On Jul 12, 2018
LZAA:

Deceiving myself? Lol
The easiest way to overcome poverty is learning a skill weda in school or a company
Entrepreneurship is like the apex of a pyramid
Its crowded and very few make it
Its like being a top sportsman or musician
Its not as easy as those movitional books paint it
always make sure you are marketing something, weda skills or products.

Nothing is easy in life.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by LZAA: 5:27pm On Jul 12, 2018
millionboi2:
always make sure you are marketing something, weda skills or products.

Nothing is easy in life.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Demayour: 5:58pm On Jul 12, 2018
MsGood:
Education is one of the reasons why many Nigerian youths are miserable. We believe that education is the only key to success and keep forcing our children to study hard and ignore their talents or interests. For instance, I love fashion and wanted to go to a fashion school abroad but instead, I'm studying for my master's degree because my parents are not interested. Some boys have great football skills but their parents will do everything to discourage them. If Dele Alli was raised in Nigeria, he will probably be in Unilag studying Pharmacy instead of making his country proud as a footballer. Even the one month long vacation we have for students in Nigeria is used for school lessons instead of engaging in extracurricular activities that will develope the children's talent like Americans do. I'm just fed up.

Mis-education is what I'd call it. Summary of all definition of education is the preparation of people on how they can survive and make meaningful contributions. Education is supposed to help them find the path while miseducation is forcing things on people's brain whereby they finally become useless to themselves, the society and even the person forcing the education on them.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by GLOBALINF: 6:06pm On Jul 12, 2018
I have always said it that Nigerian education system is a pure scam!
If you are schooling here in Nigeria, just know u r simply wasting some of your time.
Ask yourself, if Nigerian schools are up to the task why are they sending their kids abroad to study?
Our leaders are deliberately messing up our educational system to give their kids an upper hand.
Can your compare a first-class computer science graduate here with common first-year computer science students from Japan or Singapore?
How many mechanical Engineering student with impressive Cgpa can fix a simple fault in a car?
Why study electrical engineering when u are rest assured you will end up a teacher or an okada rider?
Why Phamacy when u will only use your certificate to sell drugs in a chemist?
Brothers, if you are wise, never waste your precious time, money and energy schooling here in naija! Learn a trade with that money and instead of spending 5+years in one open prison called school, use that years to masters a profession, I can bet you that u will end up enploying that mumu that went to naija school!
Don’t get me wrong sir! I’m not saying education isn’t good BUT if your line is education, simply find a way of checking out to study!
There are so many countries you can go and u get quality, standard and even affordable schools with easy visa process. Check my signature for update and if Seun and his people block my signature... Whatsapp me on zero eight zero six four nine three four three five three
Thanks
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by GLOBALINF: 6:13pm On Jul 12, 2018
tunjidayo:
i read educational management but ave been in the marketing line for sometimes before now just to put food on my table cos am married.but just this days someting keeps coming to mind cos i wish to be in the educational line as a lecturer,becos i dont ave passion for what am doing now.and am not financially bouyant to start my M.ED,pls i just need an idea or advice about how i can retrace my steps in other to achieve my goals,thanks for contributions
Read my post and contact me
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by iHart(m): 6:52pm On Jul 12, 2018
GLOBALINF:
I have always said it that Nigerian education system is a pure scam!
If you are schooling here in Nigeria, just know u r simply wasting some of your time.
Ask yourself, if Nigerian schools are up to the task why are they sending their kids abroad to study?
Our leaders are deliberately messing up our educational system to give their kids an upper hand.
Can your compare a first-class computer science graduate here with common first-year computer science students from Japan or Singapore?
How many mechanical Engineering student with impressive Cgpa can fix a simple fault in a car?
Why study electrical engineering when u are rest assured you will end up a teacher or an okada rider?
Why Phamacy when u will only use your certificate to sell drugs in a chemist?
Brothers, if you are wise, never waste your precious time, money and energy schooling here in naija! Learn a trade with that money and instead of spending 5+years in one open prison called school, use that years to masters a profession, I can bet you that u will end up enploying that mumu that went to naija school!
Don’t get me wrong sir! I’m not saying education isn’t good BUT if your line is education, simply find a way of checking out to study!
There are so many countries you can go and u

quality, standard and even affordable schools with easy visa process. Check my signature for update and if Seun and his people block my signature... Whatsapp me on zero eight zero six four nine three four three five three
Thanks

The problem is with us. We are mostly not creative and innovative. The question is "How do we turn the little we have learnt to something meaningful?

I can tell you that so many industrial chemists can't prepare a "solution" that is because I am an Industrial Chemist. This is not because we were not taught how to do it in school but because many, knowingly or unknowingly, refused to learn it. This also applies to other disciplines.

A car or a chemist shop is not what a mechanical engineer or a pharmacist does.

I have seen many Nigerians travel abroad to study, and when the return they still don't get a job or start a good business.

By the way can you tell us which skill have you mastered so we can learn from your own experience.
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by DonMekino(m): 6:59pm On Jul 12, 2018
OP....in as much as u are right, parents have d responsibility of guiding these children, but not forcing them....some children want to be doctors because they read *Gifted Hands*, or see doctors on immaculate white, some footballers because they love CR7 or Messi... I have seen students aspire in fields where they don't have the required talents, we as parents and teachers should also help nurture these talents and guide them accordingly....
One of d problems in Nigeria is that u cannot set a timeline for sch because uncertainty in getting admission first and strike cum some civil disturbances, then after sch the mother of all frustration called unemployment.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jul 12, 2018
My parents were enlightened so they allowed us all to follow our path....

Running your own business is added security because most companies don’t operate on a take care of all individuals there is also monopoly that’s why someone who’s Mum hooked them up with a job can even dream to talk nonsense to someone who went for interviews ..I would rather succeed on my own merit and give effort to whatever I do.

I started my IT career with a typewriter

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by BabaIbo: 7:08pm On Jul 12, 2018
iHart:
It is very wrong to say you don't know the relevance of Industrial Chemistry. There are so many Industrial Chemistry jobs but many are not advertised online. Let me give you a secret that have worked for me twice when I was searching for Job. Identify industrial hubs around you. Take for instance Atani area in Onitsha. Take a list of big pharmaceutical firms, food and beverage firms, oil and gas companies and cosmetics firms within there. Consider big private schools. Also consider firms outside the area but within the city. For instance, Divine Favour pharmaceutical is not within Atani but within "Onitsha". Build your CV, use a contact address around where the firms are located. Make sure you submit your CV to those firms within the first week of January. In the case of private schools, make sure you submit your CV at the beginning of the long vacation. If you can do it in not less than 50 firms, I bet you will get a Job latest in three months.

The truth is that if you are not successful with what you have now, it is very likely that you won't be successful with what you wished you had!!!

I will do that.
Thanks for the words

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Anthos(m): 7:39pm On Jul 12, 2018
brodalokie:
It is not a Nigerian mentality. It is Oracle. Nigeria is a global establishment but our indigenous pagans have injected their local Trojan. Ever wondered why parents who chose to educate their kids don't last?
I read meaning to this comment...
can you explain further... am interested
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by MensIssuesNg: 7:48pm On Jul 12, 2018
lipsrsealed
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by SUXXI(m): 8:24pm On Jul 12, 2018
My dad said i either study geography or economics.I am gifted in fixing things,electronics,figuring things out.I told him it is electrical electronics or computer engineering i want to study.My mum believed in studying what you enjoy doing and where you talent is naturally.It was not easy.My dad said if you want to study computer,you go and train yourself.I told him if i do not study electrical electronics or computer engineering...There is no need me going to school because i can never study what i do not want.With the help of my mum my dad agreed and i study computer.Today,i am a certified computer engineer, training thousands of youths every year to become engineers and support themselves financially.I enjoy my work,i enjoy teaching,i enjoy fixing computers and today i have no regrets.Parents should support the talents in their kids and everyone will want to work because it is what they enjoy doing.U

MUMMY...THANK YOU!!!
Re: How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths by Staru1(m): 9:28pm On Jul 12, 2018
hennyholla17:
Hello, nairalanders. I an Dada Eniola, blogger and content writer. I hope this piece makes front page because I would love to reach many people as I can... especially our Nigerian parents. Read and enjoy!
The Nigerian mentality is actually a very dangerous thing. It is exhibited by most of Nigerian parents and that's what makes them "typical Nigerian parents".
However, some youths have also been exhibiting this trait and it's more of a setback for the nation than it is a way forward.

I got inspired to write this post through the wema bank seminar I attended for the student of the faculty of science, Unilag (which I happened to be among). The CEO of wema bank spoke to us and gave some of the key points most Nigerian parents don't actually give to their children.

Before we dive further, let me take you through a very brief history of how he got to where he is today (MD/CEO, WEMA BANK).

He graduated from secondary school as a division 1 student (distinction). He grew up with his uncle in Lagos who happened to sponsor his education. He was aspiring to study pharmacy in The University of Lagos. He tried first time and didn't get admission, second time same thing happened.

Third time, he was not admitted for pharmacy but he had the option to study biochemistry. Due to some reasons, he couldn't study it and his only option was chemistry science.

He took up the admission but wasn't happy in his first year because that wasn't his choice (because of the mentality around science courses). In Nigeria, people believe that engineering courses and medical courses are the best for any science student.

As such, most parents force their children into these fields, not caring about the potential the child carries. Well, he later graduated as a second class upper student (2.1).

He went further to do chemical engineering in as a postgraduate course in same UNILAG and wanted to work alongside his brother but was advised to go into accounting. He took ICAN an passed on first attempt.
He applied as the general assistant manager of a company but was given the post of an analyst. Gradually, with his hardwork, he rose to the general assistant manager and later moved to Skye bank where he held a very important role.

From Skye bank, he became the CEO of wema bank and gave them their place among the Africa's best banks. Wema bank is the first ever fully digital bank in Africa and this was achieved under his leadership.

Do you know the beautiful thing? Someone asked him a question saying: "What do you regret not doing in the university". His reply was a little bit shocking. He replied: "Not starting my own business".

For someone of his profile and achievement, you shouldn't be bothered about why you didn't make money in University, but he was.

Businesses don't generally mean selling products, services are also businesses. If you have have a talent or potential, try to develop that. All the richest men in the world are as a product of initiative and talent.
So many people have fallen due to studying the wrong courses. If all Nigerians are doctors, lawyers, accountants and engineers, who will be the surveyors, artists, forensics, entertainers, bloggers, geeks, footballer and most especially - teachers.

Parents should learn to identify the potential of a child before advising them to study a course. They push youths to study courses they are not interested in and end up becoming job seekers. Yet, we blame the government for not providing enough jobs.
Why can't we blame the parents for not providing enough minds.

Let the youths also learn to voice out their thoughts and be independent.
" It is better to live a happy life doing what you love than to be filthy rich doing what you hate." - Naijafalcon

Talents should not be wasted. Instead, they should be trained. If Nigerians want to compete among the top countries, it has to start from the youths. Doctors, lawyers, engineers and accountants will work with governments and institutions...they earn salary and are at risk of getting sacked anytime.

But self made men own their businesses, they dictate how their lives will be run. They have the potential to compete among the big names because they earn with what they enjoy doing most. If a child doesn't want to be a doctor, he shouldn't be forced to do so. Let's learn to train them and give them the right knowledge but education is equally important.

The only difference between a mechanic and a mechanical engineer is a laminated paper( you lied).
laminated paper is absolutely wrong, more than 10,000 differences.
simple: mechanic to repair, mech ENGR is design.
This is the usefulness of education. It helps you to stand firm and defend yourself, it doesn't dictate how you love your life, how much you earn or how happy you will be.
Let's learn right. #NFNaijaYouthDevelopment

Source: https://www.naijafalcon.com.ng/2018/07/nigerian-mentality-in-education-how-it.html?m=1#

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2011 /2012 Fuoye Admission List And Complains / 71 Nigerian Scientists Among Top 2% Globally - Statisense / AAU Lecturer Shed Tears Over Unpaid Salaries.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.