Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 (18730 Views)

Some Of Bola Tinubu's Projects From 1999-2003 (First Term In Office) / The Best Lagos State Governor From 1999 Till Date? (Pictures) / Kaduna To Bar Unvaccinated Civil Servants From Offices From October 31 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by Horus(m): 7:10pm On Jul 12, 2018
kennygee:
Even the female voters won't vote in a female candidate. We don't like ourselves.

A woman is a woman’s best friend and worst enemy as well. Many conflicts arise between two women
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by peacengine(m): 7:11pm On Jul 12, 2018
Was surprised to see a stunner as Croatia president, seems Africa has a long way to go. Our women folks only think of marriage and babies, it's not our fault we don't find them competent enough to handle decision making beyond the home front
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by InvertedHammer: 7:15pm On Jul 12, 2018
/
Anambra had a female governor, Dame Virginia Etiaba for a while. Doesn't that count for anything?

/

2 Likes

Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by MrMystrO(m): 7:16pm On Jul 12, 2018
SniperSmurf:
This is mainly a cultural thing, nothing personal against wemenz dem. cool

Spot on!

These figures although true, Has nothing to do with any bias against women in any way or form. As long as Women both have the right to Vote and also contest for any position they want to in this country, then it has Nothing to do with men. Politics is competition. You don't expect men to simply roll over and hand power to you simply because you're a woman, it simply doesn't work that way.. You have to BEAT Men to win! You have to fight for it and prove you have what it takes to occupy that position and sadly, most Nigerian women have proven to not be able to beat men enough in the game of politics, Save a few. And most of all, Gender is NOT and should NOT be a criteria for occupying any political office, Competence IS. And so it doesn't matter if you're Male or Female, Competence should be the Priority and Not Gender, Ethnicity, Religion or any of those things that has been holding us back for so Long!
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by pocohantas(f): 7:17pm On Jul 12, 2018
kennygee:
Even I won't vote in a female candidate. I don't like other women.

Endeavour to speak for yourself only in future.

That said, I won't vote someone just because she is a female candidate. That is sexist. I will vote any credible candidate that can get the job done, irrespective of the gender. Is there any female politician that fits? Women have to work for it, it won't come on a platter.

I helped you edit your post, I play too much grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by stankezzy: 7:18pm On Jul 12, 2018
The statistics are wrong in governor ,Mrs etiaba of anambra state was a governor during obasanjos era
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jul 12, 2018
This is the reason why Nigeria is a failure. Men have ruled and achieved nothing but corruption, famine, and terrorism.
Look at countries like UK and Germany that have female leaders, see how they are progressing.
Men are natural failures in anything they do,Buwari is a living example.
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by siralos135: 7:20pm On Jul 12, 2018
Not quite good
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by ademoladeji(m): 7:22pm On Jul 12, 2018
petkoffdrake2:
Let's give women chance. They might turn this country around. With bits of luck in every department

Like CROATIAn president . She's gorgeous and gave CROATIA that luck to be in the final. Maybe if we elect a gorgeous lady as president our boys might do well in the next World Cup. She might promise sex to any guy who scored and boom! Even our keeper will try scoring even if it's from post to post.

Am just saying though.. . undecided

You're right tho but do you think the women want it?

Taraba state for example had her election rigged to deny a woman from becoming the first elected female governor.

Women are much more than the men counterparts but because of greed n low self-esteem, they won't see it as a competition but playing second fiddle and prefer their comfort zone
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by ademoladeji(m): 7:28pm On Jul 12, 2018
pocohantas:

That said, I won't vote someone just because she is a female candidate. That is sexist. I will vote any credible candidate that can get the job done, irrespective of the gender. Is there any female politician that fits? Women have to work for it, it won't come on a platter.

Lmfao

1 Like

Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by MrMystrO(m): 7:29pm On Jul 12, 2018
pocohantas:

You're a smart woman. Honestly, I wish more women could think like you.. we would definitely have a lot of women in higher positions of power and also more women who can Stand for themselves.. Which is something I would really like to see happen in this country. Nice one.

1 Like

Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by Horus(m): 7:30pm On Jul 12, 2018
Don’t listen to people who say that women cannot lead. Gender equality is to be honored, and if leaders take up gender equality, we can move forward very fast. So, there are areas for women to take a lead in. If you are a woman, don’t wait for someone to invite you. Just jump in and take the lead
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by azuminiboy: 7:32pm On Jul 12, 2018
shebi we dey copy america? even in america has dia been a female president? u saw how even the so-called women voted again hillary clinton. i think it may never happen
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by bewla(m): 7:37pm On Jul 12, 2018
dammybas:
Hmmn.. Quite interesting. I don't think we are having any female president or Governor soon. Quite sad.

even Amelica we don tey 2something years never get one

1 Like

Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by israelmao(m): 7:42pm On Jul 12, 2018
Misogynistic and male-chauvinistic system of government.
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by Dedetwo(m): 7:44pm On Jul 12, 2018
somehow:
How old is our democracy?

Since we copy anything America, tell us how many women has been presidents in the US.

Who are we and what the hell do the we copy from America?
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by chronique(m): 7:45pm On Jul 12, 2018
dammybas:
Hmmn.. Quite interesting. I don't think we are having any female president or Governor soon. Quite sad.

what is sad about it? nigeria is not yet ripe for that yet.
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jul 12, 2018
Databod:
Gender representation in the governance of the nation has remained radically bias. From 1999 till 2018, the percentage of women occupying positions of authority has fluctuated between 5% to 10%. The female community still remains vastly unrepresented in both executive and legislative positions.

Statistics show that a woman has never been elected president or vice president in Nigeria. No woman has been elected governor of a state. Also, only five females have been appointed deputy governors in any state within almost a decade.

The infographic below gives more details.

Will Nigeria ever have a female president or governor?

SOURCE: Databod Nigeria

What of Etiaba, the erstwhile Governor of Anambra State
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by KanwuliaExtra: 7:48pm On Jul 12, 2018
Hmmmmm!!!! WITH HEAVY-HEAVY ASHAWO WORK O! cry
Boko-Haram, SHYTE-HOLE Nation! grin
499 years go pass. . . Nothing go change o.

Everyone will keep making noise chanting:

“The girl child!”!
“The girl child!”

I wish I was born a CROAT! cry

Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by DK2daworld: 7:55pm On Jul 12, 2018
slimghost:
Dame Virgy Etiaba was a female governor.

I thought so
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by somehow: 8:01pm On Jul 12, 2018
Look into the mirror or you can play ostrich, your choice.

Dedetwo:

Who are we and what the hell do the we copy from America?
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by bukatyne(f): 8:12pm On Jul 12, 2018
Is there any system on place in Nigeria that bars women from attaining any position in politics?

I remember a woman politician who said her husband drove her to meetings at night.

The real question is: How many Nigerian husbands would support their wife's political ambition?

How many of you on this thread would support your wives if she wanted to be a governor, senator or House of Rep?

How many of you are willing to put your ambitions on the back burner and go all out to support your wives in politics?

Constitutionally, nothing holds women from becoming president if they so desire.

I remember Madam Fresh some years back.

1 Like

Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by Dedetwo(m): 8:16pm On Jul 12, 2018
somehow:
Look into the mirror or you can play ostrich, your choice.

I have looked into the mirror and did not see anything America. It appears he or she who calmed to have copied from America seemed to be a joker.
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by KrystosCJ(m): 8:21pm On Jul 12, 2018
After watching this, I feel more women need to be given a chance in leadership roles.

Dora Akunyili forever remains a shining example of a leading Nigerian woman in power who did not abuse her office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK3wUtOyrPY
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by somehow: 8:22pm On Jul 12, 2018
Okay, enjoy your night, not worth the effort.
Dedetwo:

I have looked into the mirror and did not see anything America. It appears he or she who calmed to have copied from America seemed to be a joker.
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by flecho: 8:39pm On Jul 12, 2018
Databod:
Gender representation in the governance of the nation has remained radically bias. From 1999 till 2018, the percentage of women occupying positions of authority has fluctuated between 5% to 10%. The female community still remains vastly unrepresented in both executive and legislative positions.

Statistics show that a woman has never been elected president or vice president in Nigeria. No woman has been elected governor of a state. Also, only five females have been appointed deputy governors in any state within almost a decade.

The infographic below gives more details.

Will Nigeria ever have a female president or governor?

SOURCE: Databod Nigeria

Dame Virginia Etiaba 1st female governor Nigeria & Anambra
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by loswhite(m): 8:45pm On Jul 12, 2018
dammybas:

why is it sad?
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by nextstep(m): 8:45pm On Jul 12, 2018
petkoffdrake2:
Let's give women chance. They might turn this country around. With bits of luck in every department

Am just saying though.. . undecided

I used to think so, but the examples of Stella Oduah, Deziani Alison-Madueke, Patience Jonathan, Kemi Adeosun, etc. have disabused me of that notion. We need good people, of either gender, and we've seen precious few.
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jul 12, 2018
pocohantas:

Who send you?
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by nextstep(m): 8:53pm On Jul 12, 2018
Philpham:
This is the reason why Nigeria is a failure. Men have ruled and achieved nothing but corruption, famine, and terrorism.
Look at countries like UK and Germany that have female leaders, see how they are progressing.
Men are natural failures in anything they do,Buwari is a living example.

Sigh... and the counterexamples: USA, Japan, China, Spain, France, are thriving countries who have not had female presidents/Vice Presidents (albeit the US has had numerous governors who were women, and France did have one prime minister).
More to the point though, the vast majority of these countries did not even allow women to vote, much less hold office, until as late as 1900s. I'm for gender equality, but I don't think your attribution of Nigeria's failure to gender is accurate.
Re: Gender Representation In Nigerian Elected Offices From 1999-2018 by FatherJP(m): 9:00pm On Jul 12, 2018
seedsower:

90% Bribery and corruption caused by men.

Guy forget, their corruption fit make you commit suicide. When you dey hussle morning and night come rain come shine and you cone hear say person use 6 million buy massaging machine.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Swears In Board Members Of North-East Development Commission (Photos) / Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze / President Buhari Departs For Germany (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.