Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,766 members, 7,831,461 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:05 PM

Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News (7536 Views)

Aliyu Locks Out Legislators As Assembly Moves To Impeach Him / FG Asks States To Ban Okada Operations / Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Hardtalk: 6:31pm On Jun 11, 2010
Lagos Assembly moves to ban Okada
By CHINELO AGINA
Friday, June 11, 2010

Lagos State House of Assembly has expressed concern over activities of motorcycle riders popularly called Okada on highways in the state and has commenced plans to hold a public hearing to that effect.

The public hearing which date is yet to be fixed would be an opportunity for members of the public to suggest what could be done to check the excesses of the Okada operators and to consider the possibility of banning their operations completely from the state.

In view of this, the House had set up a four-man ad-hoc committee to come up with recommendations that would put an end to the dangers caused by operators of commercial motorcycles in the state.

At plenary session, Sanai Agunbiade representing Ikorodu Constituency (I), under Matter of Urgent Public Importance, informed his colleagues how Okada operators had turned the popular Ketu and Ojota bus stops to illegal parks where they pick and drop passengers indiscriminately.
According to Agunbiade, “Okada riders plying the Ikorodu Road have turned Ketu and Ojota bus stops to illegal parks. On a daily basis, they come in droves where they pick and drop passengers along the expressway and with this, they contribute to traffic congestion on that road. Apart from that, the cases of Okada accidents, especially along the expressway has increased drastically, and something needs to be done about it.”

Funmi Tejuoso while contributing noted that Okada riders had caused a lot of havoc, traffic jams and accidents. “It seems that those ones that were chased from Abuja have stormed the state and are causing a lot of trouble. We have to do something concerning it because even when they cause trouble on the road, they will turn around to fight you.”

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/june/11/national-11-06-2010-013.htm
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Hardtalk: 6:37pm On Jun 11, 2010
Lagos and Okada business, are like 5 and 6 in a football match.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jun 11, 2010
This will be retarded if they're not going to buy these ppl better method of moving around i.e cars.

And Okada is a business, that's how some ppl get money to eat.

This is retarded!
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by babapupa: 3:36am On Jun 12, 2010
Sounds retarded right now, but it's just a matter of time. Okada days are numbered.

Yes it's a business, an unregulated, dangerous and anti public safety business.

The state can not sustain Okada business in it's present form unless the folks involved submit to serious government safety and aesthetics regulations.

Personally, they got to go, Lagosians survived way before Okada and  Lagos is too congested. Lawless Okada running around cars and pedestrians is a dangerous mix and no sensible and responsible government folds hands and look the other way.

It's a public safety issue.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Nobody: 4:11am On Jun 12, 2010
babapupa:

Sounds retarded right now, but it's just a matter of time. Okada days are numbered.

The state can not sustain Okada business in it's present form unless the folks involved submit to serious government safety and aesthetics regulations.

Personally, they got to go, Lagosians survived way before Okada and  Lagos is too congested. Lawless Okada running around cars and pedestrians is a dangerous mix and no sensible and responsible government folds hands and look the other way.

Lagos has survived way before Okada. . . . how long ago was that? Think about the difference between then and now.

Can't the state find a way to enforce the "rules" they made pertaining to Okada safety? And how can the rules be enforced if the okada riders can easily bribe the policemen to lt them overlook breaking the law?

Without the okada business, the percent of unemployment will shoot up.

They need to seriously think about this. . . . esp if nothing else will substitute okada.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Kobojunkie: 4:37am On Jun 12, 2010
FL Gators:

Lagos has survived way before Okada. . . . how long ago was that? Think about the difference between then and now.

Can't the state find a way to enforce the "rules" they made pertaining to Okada safety? And how can the rules be enforced if the okada riders can easily bribe the policemen to lt them overlook breaking the law?

They need to seriously think about this. . . . esp if nothing else will substitute okada.

I am definitely not a fan of Okada . . . I think they are a nuisance, and I would vote for a ban any day. Same way I feel about generators. Lagos never really needed Okada back in the days. About 12 years ago, there were barely any Okada men in Lagos.  BUT you are right about the unemployment issue which in my opinion is a bigger problem that needs to be tackled and NOW. Yes, I believe Okada is evil but continuing to cut the main sources of livelihood for the poor in our society is not, in my opinion, a sensible way to development.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Nobody: 5:20am On Jun 12, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I am definitely not a fan of Okada . . . I think they are a nuisance, and I would vote for a ban any day. Same way I feel about generators. Lagos never really needed Okada back in the days. About 12 years ago, there were barely any Okada men in Lagos. BUT you are right about the unemployment issue which in my opinion is a bigger problem that needs to be tackled and NOW. Yes, I believe Okada is evil but continuing to cut the main sources of livelihood for the poor in our society is not, in my opinion, a sensible way to development.

Unlike you, I'm a big fan of Okada, and so does many Lagosians. Helps me catch up on time lost in traffic. Even if they were to be banned, it should be only in some areas. You can't just wake up one morning and Ban Okada altogether.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by MAKLIZ: 11:50am On Jun 12, 2010
The banning of okada in Lagos State is not the solution to their menace. The honourables are concerned because it affects them on the expressroad. Do they care what happens on the inner streets.
As much as i believe that they are a menace, banning them is not a solution. Government shld look into ways of regulating thier activities via their various affiliations.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by sandee575(f): 12:31pm On Jun 12, 2010
A means of mass transportation is the obvious solution to Lagos commuting problem.
Dont our lawmakers consider the socioeconomic negative impact that banning of Okada in
Lagos of all places would have on Lagosians. For now, they are basking in priviledges that
come with power.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by eros(m): 1:26pm On Jun 12, 2010
I hope they provide a better and safer means of quick transportation like the Okada and it better not be that crappy Kekenape. Then ensure all the Okada men they are rendering unemployed get to drive or ride whatever replacement they are introducing.

If they wouldn't do any of the above, they better shut the Zap. up and focus on ways they can devise to steal more money, since that is all they do in their cursed chambers.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Cogito(m): 1:58pm On Jun 12, 2010
It's unfortunate and maybe a bit harsh but I'm in full support of a ban.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by wazobiang: 4:16pm On Jun 12, 2010
e be like say tinubu's psychiatric examination is still yielding results in lagos
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Becomrich0: 4:22pm On Jun 12, 2010
What the lagos govt need to do is create a lane for okada. We have lane for motorcycle over here and bicycle. it is far right corner about 1 meter.

i would not banned Okada, because it is the lifehood of some lagosian. I am against the banning of Okada. I do not want to steal.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by texazzpete(m): 5:41pm On Jun 12, 2010
All those calling for a ban have to be on some really potent crack! We're complaining of traffic jam in Lagos and you people want to now double or triple the number of taxi cabs on the road. . .WTH are y'all smoking?
If you cannot find a reasonable way to drastically improve the road capacity and resolve the already severe bottlenecks, please leave the common man alone with his Okada.
When the lagos state govt finally gets off their butt and start using rail and water transport to get more people off the road, then they can talk about banning Okada.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by lanre2u(m): 7:19pm On Jun 12, 2010
We all know the dangers posed by Okada riders in Lagos, the way forward is not an outright ban to their activities cos of Unemployment and its direct consequences on security in the state. the following should be done:

1. Restriction of the movement only to minor road, i mean the roads on the streets or the so called local govt road. No state road or federal road.

2. Enforcement of safety helment.

3. Only ONE passenger at all time.

4. No Riders license, no operation.

I think, doing this will reduce their excesses, not outright ban cos that will cause unemployment and increase crime.

eko o ni baje.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Becomrich0: 7:57pm On Jun 12, 2010
The danger of okada in lagos is not the fault of the okada driver, but the government inability to provide facilities for the people. The federal govt have refuse to allow for justice the yorubas. So not so much to deal with the large population.

Now like i said, this okada rider most have a source of income. And the govt must allow okada to remain.

Look in canada, people have okada. And the government have created Okada lane. This is what the govt of lagos should do. And not put the blame on okada raiders.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jun 12, 2010
one cannot ban okada in an urban metropolis like lagos

yeah, once there were no okadas and people got around, but once there were also no gsm phones, and people also coped

a city like lagos, with its unending traffic jams, and people in a hurry, and no alternatives available - it just won't fly

not supriing some uppity house member is blathering opata about banning okada, instead of focusing on a metro system for lagos
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by tunde1200(m): 8:43pm On Jun 12, 2010
if they ban okada. simply increase crime and things get worst than it was. this is not the problem we are have our prblems are power, roads, hospita, housing, not okada that make every body in lagos journey fast . embarassed
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Fhemmmy: 10:08pm On Jun 12, 2010
I kinda respect the fact that they wanna hold a public hearing, that goes to show how respectful they are for the people that they are leading, i really think Lagos is leading the way in developed politics, i am impressed.
However, banning Okada in Lagos might be a disaster
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Pifa: 10:12pm On Jun 12, 2010
oyb:

not supriing some uppity house member is blathering opata about banning okada, instead of focusing on a metro system  for lagos

But the government IS focusing on a metro system for Lagos. Lagos inaugurated the BRT system a few years ago and it has proven very successful although rather inadequate to solve the transportation problems of Lagos. Lagos also broke ground on the construction of a metro rail in the past few weeks.

In addition to the the BRT and rail projects, the government is encouraging private operators to provide water transportation for communities in Lagos that can benefit from water transportation. From what I saw on an "Eye on Lagos - Water Transportation" video on Youtube yesterday, five ferry franchises are already operating in Lagos.

Lagos is not a wealthy community like London, Paris or New York, but the government is trying its best with the limited recourses it has to provide for the teaming masses who call Lagos home (I do have plenty to criticize about the execution of some these projects but not the intent behind them).
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by keyremotes(m): 10:51pm On Jun 12, 2010
Okada ban has been in effect in PH for about a year now or more and the heavens did not fall.
Even if government was to provide jobs can it do so for all.

I personally support the plan o.

The people who ride these things DO NOT HAVE THE MINUTEST REGARD FOR REGULATIONS.
THE ARE AGENTS OF DISORDERLINESS.
WE SHOULD STOP BEING OVER EMOTIONAL ABOUT CERTAIN THINGS.

AS FOR THE PROVISION OF MASS TRANSIT BUSES, WHAT THE GOVERNMENT IS DOING IS REALLY COMMENDABLE.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by cold(m): 10:56pm On Jun 12, 2010
Okadas shld be banned nation wide.There nuisance value far outweighs any justification to keep them on the roads.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Pifa: 11:33pm On Jun 12, 2010
babapupa:

I’ll have to go with babapupa on this, but I would substitute “quality” for aesthetics in his response.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Pifa: 11:44pm On Jun 12, 2010
FL Gators:

The argument that they provide employment for their operators or that they provide transportation for the community is not persuasive enough to allow their menace to continue.

Street-side food vendors provide employment for themselves and their employees. But because they often clog pedestrian right of way, they are heavily regulated in most countries and their activities are banned in certain corridors. If airline operators become a menace in the sky, the government's responsibility is to ground the entire industry, regardless of the hardship such action would bring on the operators and the patronage. Why should okadas be any different?
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jun 12, 2010
Pifa:

The argument that they provide employment for their operators or that they provide transportation for the community is not persuasive enough to allow their menace to continue.

Street-side food vendors provide employment for themselves and their employees. But because they often clog pedestrian right of way, they are heavily regulated in most countries and their activities are banned in certain corridors. If airline operators become a menace in the sky, the government's responsibility is to ground the entire industry, regardless of the hardship such action would bring on the operators and the patronage. Why should okadas be any different?

1. What will replace okada? Hopefully, you're not going to suggest cabs and yellow buses that will clog the road even more.

2. Everybody cannot be a a street-vendor.  If everybody is selling, who will be buying?

3. If the govt is not going to, in any way, provide employment for these ppl, then they need to think against it.

4. Okada is a quick way to get from point A to point B, atleast if you're comfortable, consider other blue collars that dont have the cars to get to work early.

5. Why dont we find a way to make okadas safer, instead of banning it? Like someone said, the police can try to enforce the rules, and like becomrich said, okada lanes should be created to prevent accidents between Okada and cars [if that's what you ppl are majorly concerned about]

Your point is not exactly persuasive enough either.

Kobojunkie:

I am definitely not a fan of Okada . . . I think they are a nuisance, and I would vote for a ban any day. Same way I feel about generators. Lagos never really needed Okada back in the days. About 12 years ago, there were barely any Okada men in Lagos.  BUT you are right about the unemployment issue which in my opinion is a bigger problem that needs to be tackled and NOW. Yes, I believe Okada is evil but continuing to cut the main sources of livelihood for the poor in our society is not, in my opinion, a sensible way to development.
I totally agree with you. I'm not a fan of Okada either. . . . but I think banning okada has more negatives than positives.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Kobojunkie: 12:05am On Jun 13, 2010
Pifa:

You think those on Okada's for well over 12 hours of their days love riding out in the sun and what not? Come on now. Even you know what you have above does not even compute. Ofcourse they do it for employment reasons, what else? They just love being a nuisance and what not? lol

Pifa:

Street-side food vendors provide employment for themselves and their employees. But because they often clog pedestrian right of way, they are heavily regulated in most countries and their activities are banned in certain corridors.

How many of them do you want to regulate? Millions in a small state like Lagos? How? NOTE- I have not in anyway said they should be allowed to run free but I think we need to CHOOSE our solutions carefully and CHOOSE THE RIGHT ONES. Not just apply that which works in places that don't even have a pinch of our problem.

Pifa:

If airline operators become a menace in the sky, the government's responsibility is to ground the entire industry, regardless of the hardship such action would bring on the operators and the patronage. Why should okadas be any different?

And what government has actually ever done this, knowing that airlines in most countries are regulated by the same Governments, anmd provide major employment and benefits to their people?

The Okada problem came about as a result of increase in poverty and conjestion. Just about 12 years ago, Okada's were rare in most parts of lagos. BUt with increase in population, increase in conjestion and decrease in employment, they have become the preffered form of transportation for many. Much in the same way generators have. Again, 12 years ago, generators were rare. People rarely used them. Companies, and businesses that did, did so only a few hours of the day.But today, every corner houses about 2 generators. Do you now proceed to BAN the generators that have become a complete nuisance? Or do you put your head down to solving the REAL PROBLEM FIRST? I hate Okada's -- still have a huge mark on my leg to show for the one time I decided to ride --I loathe going back to Nigeria to have to deal with the noise pollution from generators. However, I understand the reason for these things, and how banning them will only work to the negative and not the positive.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Hardtalk: 10:44am On Jun 13, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You think those on Okada's for well over 12 hours of their days love riding out in the sun and what not? Come on now. Even you know what you have above does not even compute. Ofcourse they do it for employment reasons, what else? They just love being a nuisance and what not? lol

How many of them do you want to regulate? Millions in a small state like Lagos? How? NOTE- I have not in anyway said they should be allowed to run free but I think we need to CHOOSE our solutions carefully and CHOOSE THE RIGHT ONES. Not just apply that which works in places that don't even have a pinch of our problem.

And what government has actually ever done this, knowing that airlines in most countries are regulated by the same Governments, anmd provide major employment and benefits to their people?

The Okada problem came about as a result of increase in poverty and conjestion. Just about 12 years ago, Okada's were rare in most parts of lagos. BUt with increase in population, increase in conjestion and decrease in employment, they have become the preffered form of transportation for many. Much in the same way generators have. Again, 12 years ago, generators were rare. People rarely used them. Companies, and businesses that did, did so only a few hours of the day.But today, every corner houses about 2 generators. Do you now proceed to BAN the generators that have become a complete nuisance? Or do you put your head down to solving the REAL PROBLEM FIRST? I hate Okada's -- still have a huge mark on my leg to show for the one time I decided to ride --I loathe going back to Nigeria to have to deal with the noise pollution from generators. However, I understand the reason for these things, and how banning them will only work to the negative and not the positive.

This is a very dicey situation for Lagos and Okada riders.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Obinoscopy(m): 1:22pm On Jun 13, 2010
I support the move to ban Okada Riders. Instead let us opt for the tricycle Keke Napep. Many people have lost their lives and others are maimed for live due to Okada.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by mrgbite(m): 1:28pm On Jun 13, 2010
the okada phenomenon is a complete menace to society and should be outrightly banned.its operators are largely illiterate,incorrigible and part time criminals. for those who do not know,these nuisance has been abated in places like Port Harcourt,Owerri,Calabar,Abuja and even Ibadan!so it is actually a very belated move by the lagos house of assembly,
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by ziga: 1:58pm On Jun 13, 2010
Okada is not an effective means of mass transportation. But because Lagos doesn't have any public mass transit system that caters adequately for its people, then the okadas might still be required.

Despite their menace, I think they shouldn't be banned outrightly. Instead, they can be phased out gradually until the Lagos metro is operational. For now, their activities should be limited to certain routes, certain operational hours and traffic rules should apply to them too.

And when the Lagos metro kicks off, there will automatically be no need for them.
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jun 13, 2010
almost all the arguments against okadas can be made against danfo drivers

danfo drivers are also incorrigible, they are known to engae in one chance

several of their vehicles are death traps

we could say the same for taxi drivers

ergo

lets just ban all forms of public transportation
Re: Lagos State House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Okada - News by master2(m): 3:34pm On Jun 13, 2010
Okada should be banned not only in lagos but also in other states. I think the kekenapep is a better substitute because it takes more people per trip than the conventional okada there by reducing the number of okada per person that take the road. This will effect reduction in air pollution by okada.
To know the effect of pollution by okada - just observe the pollution in a traffic jam when okadas are also stuck. This and the recklessness of the okada rider is the reason i will vote for outright ban on okada

[b][b][b] PLS BAN OKADA IN NIGERIA!!!!! [/b][/b][/b]

(1) (2) (Reply)

EndSARS Panel Compensation: Lagos Pays ₦420m, NBA Faults Akwa Ibom, Oyo, Others / Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab Faces Six Count Charges! ! ! / Islamic Scholars Condemn Xmas Day Bombings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.