Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,045 members, 7,818,144 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Elephant Kills 2 Persons At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Elephant Kills 2 Persons At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi (910 Views)

Playful Elephant Caught Climbing 5ft Wall To Steal Mangoes / Dog Kills Cobra In Owner’s House. Pics / Man Kills Python That Swallowed His Dog In Anambra. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Elephant Kills 2 Persons At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi by opera1(m): 7:07am On Jul 13, 2018
THE management of the Yankari Games Reserve and Safari, Bauchi have confirmed the death of two persons who were killed by Elephants, near Bajama village close to the reserve. According to a statement signed by the Sole Administrator of Yankari Games Reserve, Habu Mamman and made available to newsmen in Bauchi Thursday, the incidence happened on the 8th of July 2018 when the Elephants went out of the reserve through Sharam early in the morning and headed towards Bajama village. The statement added that “The elephants went to Gwartanbali forest where villagers living around there got excited and came in large numbers and put the elephants in a circle, taking pictures and trying to touch them”
“Tragedy struck when the elephants got charged and scattered the crowd and the villagers all ran for safety but as a result, they pushed down a 9-year boy called Fa’izu Chiroma Musa who was trampled by one of the elephants and he died on the spot around 10 am”, the statement further read.
The Sole Administrator said that the elephants proceeded in the forest and onlookers kept on following them, but unfortunately another 45 years old man Malam Haruna Abubakar who was trying to get a close picture of the elephants was hit by one of the elephants and he died on the spot around 4 pm.“It took our rangers some hours to control the crowd who kept on following the elephants before they could chase back the elephants into the reserve. Normally the Rangers are able to provide rapid intervention and chase the elephants back into the reserve when they go out but this case was difficult because the villagers were very excited and wanted to go close and touch the elephants. They said it is their first time of seeing and coming in contact with elephants”, the statement added.
Habu Mamman who said that conflict between Elephants and humans was not uncommon around Yankari Games Reserve noted that it was the first fatality case the reserve have recorded in a long time.“We have visited the families of the deceased and they said that they were ignorant that Elephants can be dangerous and admitted that it was their fault to get close to the Elephants. It takes about three hours to drive from the Yankari gate to both villages”, the Administrator said.

SOURCE

Re: Elephant Kills 2 Persons At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:11am On Jul 13, 2018
That is serious

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Elephant Kills 2 Persons At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi by frowland(m): 7:23am On Jul 13, 2018
So we still have Elephants?
Is this the right place to post this? Elephant no be pet na .. smiley
Re: Elephant Kills 2 Persons At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi by OneCorner: 7:47am On Jul 13, 2018
Animal jungle.
Elephants heardsmen in action.
Re: Elephant Kills 2 Persons At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi by jayned: 9:04am On Jul 13, 2018
It's rather unfortunate people had to die due to ignorance. I hope this will not give yankari negative publicity cos the place is simply amazing.

I once saw a lion just strutting along the tarred road within the reserve. it's was a surreal out of body experience. I remember being scared to my bones even as we were in a saloon car. We stopped for a while so did the lion. It was a curious as we were . We eventually left it there after taking some pictures (not selfies) from within the car.

The elephants were very graceful and magnificent. you could see them in abundance unlike the lions. They seemed harmless but we were weary of them all along.
Re: Elephant Kills 2 Persons At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi by Mariojames95(m): 11:15am On Jul 13, 2018
front page loading.
Re: Elephant Kills 2 Persons At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi by TIDDOLL(m): 2:50pm On Jul 13, 2018
jayned:
It's rather unfortunate people had to die due to ignorance. I hope this will not give yankari negative publicity cos the place is simply amazing.

I once saw a lion just strutting along the tarred road within the reserve. it's was a surreal out of body experience. I remember being scared to my bones even as we were in a saloon car. We stopped for a while so did the lion. It was a curious as we were . We eventually left it there after taking some pictures (not selfies) from within the car.
The elephants were very graceful and magnificent. you could see them in abundance unlike the lions. They seemed harmless but we were weary of them all along.
[/b]A lifetime experience Maam, one you can never forget
Back then at Oli camp in Kainji Lake, about a full moon at night beside the Camp's pool gisting with the park rangers, suddenly came a roaring one so loud and so close you had think the sound emanates from a magnificent Woofer, alas it was a magnificent Animal.

It was the first, i was opportuned to hear from a Wild Lion, I and my colleagues almost took to our heels, all to the re-assurance of the Rangers that the Lion was far away, we stayed.

Yet the Roars felt like the Lion was so close.

I just dont know why Nigeria cant protect and maximize the opportunities that presents itself in the Tourism Industry just like most East and South African Countries...

We have Enough Floras & Faunas!![b]

1 Like

Re: Elephant Kills 2 Persons At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi by toughchic(f): 8:42pm On Jul 13, 2018
TIDDOLL:

[/b]A lifetime experience Maam, one you can never forget
Back then at Oli camp in Kainji Lake, about a full moon at night beside the Camp's pool gisting with the park rangers, suddenly came a roaring one so loud and so close you had think the sound emanates from a magnificent Woofer, alas it was a magnificent Animal.

It was the first, i was opportunity to hear from a Wild Lion, I and my colleagues almost took to our heels, all to the reassurance of the Rangers that the Lion was far away, we stayed.

Yet the Roars felt like the Lion was so close.

I just don't know why Nigeria cant protect and maximize the opportunities that presents itself in the Tourism Industry just like most East and South African Countries...

We have Enough Floras & Faunas!![b]

I guess since there is still enough wealth to be gotten from Oil, they don't want to invest or fund the tourism industry just yet.

Apart from yankari Game Reserve which is state owned many of our national parks are poorly funded, Kainji Lake National park included.

In fact, there was a time the ministry of environment was making plans to convert these parks for agricultural purposes.
Re: Elephant Kills 2 Persons At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi by TIDDOLL(m): 10:24am On Jul 14, 2018
toughchic:

I guess since there is still enough wealth to be gotten from Oil, they don't want to invest or fund the tourism industry just yet.

Apart from yankari Game Reserve which is state owned many of our national parks are poorly funded, Kainji Lake National park included.

In fact, there was a time the ministry of environment was making plans to convert these parks for agricultural purposes.
Exactly, inability to key into diversification.
Economical gains aside.
We feel at ease, seeing nature get destroyed.

Are you a member of NSEC??
Re: Elephant Kills 2 Persons At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi by toughchic(f): 11:20am On Jul 14, 2018
TIDDOLL:

Exactly, inability to key into diversification.
Economical gains aside.
We feel at ease, seeing nature get destroyed.

Are you a member of NSEC??

I think I am a member of NSEC and you?
Re: Elephant Kills 2 Persons At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi by TIDDOLL(m): 4:28pm On Jul 14, 2018
toughchic:

I think I am a member of NSEC and you?
Yea, I am...
So much for conservation.

1 Like

Re: Elephant Kills 2 Persons At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi by toughchic(f): 8:52pm On Jul 14, 2018
TIDDOLL:

Yea, I am...
So much for conservation.

Yes, are you a wildlife student? Of which university if you are?
Re: Elephant Kills 2 Persons At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi by TIDDOLL(m): 4:49pm On Jul 15, 2018
toughchic:

Yes, are you a wildlife student? Of which university if you are?
Uniosun.
Re: Elephant Kills 2 Persons At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi by toughchic(f): 6:24pm On Jul 15, 2018
TIDDOLL:

Uniosun.

Alright

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Look At 10 Months / Who Can Import An European Doberman From Europe / I Want To Give Out My White Cat 'jo' And Kittens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.