Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,679 members, 7,813,261 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:51 AM

We Are Developing Yoruba Dictionary, What Do You Think? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / We Are Developing Yoruba Dictionary, What Do You Think? (3234 Views)

Android Dictionary Application With Search Suggest And Text To Speech Feature / Sorting Out A Simple Text Dictionary With PHP / Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Are Developing Yoruba Dictionary, What Do You Think? by 2nde(m): 5:46am On Jan 04, 2006
Nairalanders,

My friend and I are working on a software that will translate virtually all yoruba names, and we need a list of yoruba names with their meaning to compile, can you guy help and tell us what you think.

Re: We Are Developing Yoruba Dictionary, What Do You Think? by Olorididan(m): 5:57am On Jan 04, 2006
agbari_yin ti pe tan... bout time and none the sooner.. GO ON SOME AND THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU...
Re: We Are Developing Yoruba Dictionary, What Do You Think? by Seun(m): 7:52am On Jan 04, 2006
I can't find any yoruba dictionary on the link you provided.
Re: We Are Developing Yoruba Dictionary, What Do You Think? by layi(m): 11:49am On Jan 04, 2006
I thought he said they are "developing" it. Any from the thread starter's post, i dont think that a dictionary. Its just a name translator. I think yoruba 'form' names so u possibly cant have ever yoruba name in it cuz new ones come up daily...but it worth a try anyway.
Re: We Are Developing Yoruba Dictionary, What Do You Think? by 2nde(m): 5:03pm On Jan 04, 2006
Ok, let me say name translator as layi said, we are still working on it so, it is not in the site yet
Re: We Are Developing Yoruba Dictionary, What Do You Think? by kodewrita(m): 2:47pm On Sep 01, 2006
interesting idea. i hope you guys are using a language that can handle text quite well(eg python, perl, c++).

preferably you can create a set of tokens form which all other yoruba names can be generated (as they say in mathematics, a basis for the vector space of yoruba names).(c++ uses a function strtok, you could study that and write yours)

An example,
Fakayode = Ifa+ko+ayo+de with special rules set up that determine how words combine together (in your ssce yoruba class, they possibly called it Isunki Oro).

each of the words you need can be found by possibly getting as many yoruba names as you can get and then convince a yoruba speaker to identify the common parts of the names.

As many as they may seem, I believe there is a finite number of names though others do come up daily but your system if properly developed should be able to perform nine times out of ten and in the special circumstance that it does not recognise the meaning, there should be a way for it to signify the error.

I Hope i have helped you.
Re: We Are Developing Yoruba Dictionary, What Do You Think? by Panache(m): 8:37pm On Sep 12, 2006
Nice project! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Re: We Are Developing Yoruba Dictionary, What Do You Think? by AkedeOba(m): 5:24pm On Feb 25, 2008
Please bring this discussion to the new Yorubaland web site at www.yorubaland.org
Re: We Are Developing Yoruba Dictionary, What Do You Think? by SayoMarvel(m): 1:14pm On Mar 01, 2008
Good of you guyz. This what we call innovation.
Let me add some thing. Make sure that your software can synthesize that name (i.e pronounce). i think you can make use of java.sound package. I THINK it should be able to do it. work hard.
Re: We Are Developing Yoruba Dictionary, What Do You Think? by kodewrita(m): 11:58am On Jun 25, 2010
whatever happened to this project? Hope its not dead.

(1) (Reply)

Simple Logic!think U Can Crack This? / Web Applications Are Not The Way Out / The Future In Software Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.