Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,272 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:13 AM

SALSA! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / SALSA! (1445 Views)

For World-class Salsa Lessons Call Abbey: 07065030724. / Nigeria And Salsa: / Learn Salsa And Other Dances: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SALSA! by Razorr(f): 4:21pm On Mar 26, 2007
Salsa is usually a partner dance form that corresponds to salsa music. In some forms, it can also appear as a performance dance. The word is the same as the Spanish word salsa meaning sauce, or in this case flavor or style.

According to testimonials from musicologists and historians of music, the name salsa was gradually accepted among dancers throughout various decades. The very first time the word appeared on the radio was a composition by Ignacio Piñeiro, dedicated to an old black man who sold butifarras (a sausage-like product) on Central Road in Matanzas, Cuba. It is a song titled Échale salsita, wherein the major refrain and chorus goes "Salsaaaaa! échale salsita, échale salsita". During the early 1950s, commentator and DJ "bigote" Escalona announced danceables with the title: "the following rhythm contains Salsa". Finally, the Spanish-speaking population of the New York area baptized Celia Cruz as the "Queen of Salsa".

Salsa is danced on music with two bars of four beats. Salsa patterns typically use three steps during each four beats, one beat being skipped. However, this skipped beat is often marked by a shifting of weight from one foot to the other. Typically the music involves complicated percussion rhythms, ranging from slow at about 120 beats per minute to its fastest at around 180 beats per minute (see salsa music for more).

Salsa is a slot or spot dance, i.e., unlike Foxtrot or Samba, in Salsa a couple does not need to travel over the dance floor much (although they could, if there was space and the lead decided to do so), but rather occupies a fixed area on the dance floor.

The basic movement occurring in the dance patterns of the various salsa styles is the stepping on the beat of the music. Salsa is best grouped in pairs of 4-beat patterns counted "1-2-3-, -5-6-7-, ". The leader starts on count 1 by stepping with the left foot. On count 2 and 3, they step with right and left, respectively. On count 4, the lead pauses or makes an optional tap with the right foot. On counts 5, 6, and 7, they step with right, left, and right, respectively, again followed by a pause on count 8. As a standard, every step must be taken with full weight transfer. The follower part is identical, but shifted by 4 beats, so that as the leader's left foot steps forward, the follower's right foot steps back. In most styles, the leader starts with the left foot and the follower starts with the right foot regardless of the pattern about to be danced.

Source: - Wikipedia
Re: SALSA! by Razorr(f): 4:24pm On Mar 26, 2007
Salsa moves: -

Re: SALSA! by Razorr(f): 4:37pm On Mar 26, 2007
Salsa is curently taking its place among the various popular dance forms in Nigeria. Salsa training schools are currently springing up accross the country. It's most popular in Lagos where there are about four training centres.

Re: SALSA! by femionasan(m): 4:50pm On Mar 26, 2007
Will u teach me how to do the salsa dance? I like the way u have very close conact with ur partner. Lol.
Re: SALSA! by Razorr(f): 4:54pm On Mar 26, 2007
Trust me, when you're dancing salsa for the first time, the last thing you'ld be thinking about would be how close the girl is to you. There would be a lot going through your mind, like how to make sure the lady you are spinning doesn't fall flat on her face by accident!   grin grin

Re: SALSA! by femionasan(m): 4:56pm On Mar 26, 2007
Wot about throwing up? I hope she doesnt throw up on me.
Re: SALSA! by Razorr(f): 4:58pm On Mar 26, 2007
Why would she throw up? It's not likely, except she's pregnant.
Re: SALSA! by Razorr(f): 5:00pm On Mar 26, 2007
Salsa is much better for women than other dance forms because it tones your legs and abdominal area. In other words, it can give you sexy legs and a flat tummy, if taken seriously!  grin
Re: SALSA! by wormedup(m): 5:23pm On Mar 26, 2007
ta da !!!!!!!

i was really thinking u were gonna be among those pictures angry
post some of u doing it, or has it all been a hoax ? tongue tongue grin

now, there's reason to love salsa, the closeness !! grin cool
will u teach me ? freely ? cool
Re: SALSA! by loyika(m): 5:45pm On Mar 26, 2007
Errrhh

Do all the chics wear clothes as loose as that wink Hey sign me up, i love everything liberal. "LESS CLOTHES I SAY". cool The dance is cool as well, Not really as sexy as the "Tango", or as gritty as the "Flamenco", but coming from the same school of thought, and same Latin background.
Re: SALSA! by femionasan(m): 10:14pm On Mar 26, 2007
Razorr when can we hook so we can do the Salsa dance?
Re: SALSA! by Razorr(f): 8:20am On Mar 27, 2007
Loyika, Salsa is much more exciting than the tango or flamenco and the beat is exciting. Infact, its more exciting, in my opinion, than the cha cha or merengue. That is why it is becoming very popular in the modern world today. It is similar to samba, except that there is more free-styling in the samba and its a bit more complex.

Salsa is a dance for couples. It's quite romantic.

Wormy, I would love to post pictures of myself, except that they wouldn't look as beautiful as those ones up there.

The pics up there are those of the world salsa championships in 2005 and that's the reason for the clothes. Those guys are pros o. shocked

As for the closeness: - Its a romantic couples dance. Quite sexy, if you ask me. grin grin
Re: SALSA! by mukina2: 11:44am On Mar 27, 2007
razorr so this is how you dress up to dance salsa uh? tongue

hmmm pls post ur own pic let me peep cheesy

i'll be l;ooking for a salsa ad so i can sign up and "salsa" with no clothes on tongue grin grin
Re: SALSA! by Razorr(f): 11:52am On Mar 27, 2007
I don tire for you guys o. How many times do I have to tell you that those guys are professionals in a major competition, hence their style of dressing. I wear jeans to salsa (believe it or not). If I post my pics, you might not find them sexy enough.  grin

Don't worry, I would take some pictures before the week runs out and post them here. Happy now? grin
Re: SALSA! by mukina2: 11:54am On Mar 27, 2007
Razorr:

I wear jeans to salsa (believe it or not). If I post my pics, you might not find them sexy enough. grin
Don't worry, I would take some pictures before the week runs out and post them here. Happy now?  grin

oya post em . lets see what's in those jeans tongue grin

when you post them i'll be happy . grin tongue
and i'll sign up for naked salsa grin
Re: SALSA! by Razorr(f): 12:25pm On Mar 27, 2007
Mukina, what have jeans got to do with unclothedness? Crazy girl! grin
Re: SALSA! by wormedup(m): 11:21am On Mar 28, 2007
doing salsa in jeans ?
mini skirt jeans ?

anyways, will u hook me up with a dance if i show up ?
be serious o cool
Re: SALSA! by Razorr(f): 4:13pm On Mar 28, 2007
Haa haa haa. . .

Wormy, show up first! lipsrsealed grin

Yea, I use jeans most times, except on formal occasions.
Re: SALSA! by Razorr(f): 12:55pm On Mar 30, 2007
Re: SALSA! by wormedup(m): 9:55pm On Mar 31, 2007
i'm sure that was a bump on the thread tongue

no salsa yesterday, some people decided to make money instead ?
Re: SALSA! by Xenisha: 9:44am On Nov 27, 2022
Good afternoon, I really want to introduce you to an unrealistically interesting process. Latin dance lessons in Adelaide. Here you can become a professional dancer of salsa, cha-cha-cha and other Latin American dances https://www.quicksteps.com.au/salsa-latin-dance-lessons/ . Salsa lessons will help make you more interesting and attractive on the dance floor

(1) (Reply)

Could You Live In A Cylinder? / I Need Some Information / Between Our Mothers And Our Girlfriends

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.