Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,920 members, 7,810,533 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen (6815 Views)

Saraki And NASS Members Meet With Buhari (Photos) / Between Saraki And Tinubu: Who Laughs Last?- Daily Trust / Accident Waiting To Happen At Ibadan-ile Ife Way [photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by kolayusuf: 11:23am On Jun 13, 2010
A lucky accident is still an accident. Dr. Goodluck Jonathan has never contested for elective office. He became a governor by accident, and then vice-president by accident, an then acting president by accident, and then president by accident. Well the good luck has worked for him personally, but I don't know if his good luck will translate into good luck for Nigeria. As far as I can tell, Nigeria is not going to get better by a lucky accident.

Frankly he strikes me as a man who is unprepared for the high office of president. When a man who is unprepared for leadership takes office he of course has no idea what to do with the power, and what we see is timidity, gradualism. I think we should be looking elsewhere for national leadership. After 8 years of service in Kwara State, and a rising political profile Bukola Saraki is the only serious option I see coming from PDP all sentiment aside. Over the past 8 years he has raised the profile of Kwara State with the competence, focus, and intelligence that one would expect from a man capable of holding high office, while Jonathan on the other hand has seeming succeeded at making no mistakes by doing absolutely nothing at all in any of his key appointments - commissioner, governor, vice-president, or acting president. I seriously hope he doesn't spend too much time in South Africa.
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by Nobody: 11:27am On Jun 13, 2010
You are not informed at all,i guess you are from kwara,lots of ignorant people,takn for a ride by one family.
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by KnowAll(m): 11:54am On Jun 13, 2010
[size=14pt]B4 We can take Saraki serious let him tell Nigerians what happened to their money IN Societal Generale.

Building a bridge in Ilorin and bringing some White Zimbabwe Farmers to Kwara would not exonerate him from what is and should be seen as a callaous dare devil and brazen robbery not any different from what those hoodlums in Aba are doing to that City.

I think it is high time the CBN and Jonathan re-visit this case, maybe the time has come to deport these Malians(Courtesy of his Father) back to where they came from. Their antecedents in Nigeria is bordering on sacrilege.[/size]
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by Becomrich0: 1:05pm On Jun 13, 2010
What Societal Generale. are you talking about, Go and ask your town man what happen to it.  He knows.

I hope you know what you are asking the EFCC to do is called Harrament. So are you saying this govt is becoming a dictator
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jun 13, 2010
Becomrich0:

What Societal Generale. are you talking about, Go and ask your town man what happen to it. He knows.

I hope you know what you are asking the EFCC to do is called Harrament. So are you saying this govt is becoming a dictator

Are you saying people that lost there live dont deserve justice?We all know is a matter of time,that is why they want to be relevant so that they will not face charges
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by wiseson1: 3:04pm On Jun 13, 2010
The problems of SGBN were political rather than business-related. In 2003 SGBN was barred from the clearing floor because it overdrew its balance at the CBN. Even according to a CBN press release at the time, the incidence of a bank overdrawing its account is not new - it occurs regularly during clearing house operations. In fact CBN can legally provide overdraft accommodation to any bank that overdraws its account. If SGBN had not been barred from the clearing floor it would not have had all the problems it had.

At any rate, SGBN has several shareholders, and it is a bit odd for people to talk as if its problems and solutions are their personal responsibility. No distressed bank in the country has worked harder than SGBN to revive its operations - not Savannah Bank, Triumph Bank, Fortune Bank, or any host of others. SGBN merely fell foul of the politics of the day - and that is not the first time we will see that in Nigeria.
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 13, 2010
^^^^ go easy on the pro saraki propaganda

your mentors used depositors funds to prosecute their campaign against the rogue godson aka up lawal

we all remember a few years ago when okocha personally begged obj to get his one million pounds out of the bank

the sarakis are the ones who originally hired waziri as a consultant to keep ribadu's efcc and ndic at bay
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by Kobojunkie: 3:17pm On Jun 13, 2010
8 years of service and what you are here to tell us of his work in Kwara is ONE Bridge and Zimbabwe farmers, which happened only about 2 years or so ago. What happened to the 6 years before? What else has Saraki done in the last 2 years? Please provide a more solid list of Accomplishments. Tell us of the state of the schools in Kwara -- primary and secondary schools. How are the hospitals and roads in general. We want to know more.
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by KnowAll(m): 3:19pm On Jun 13, 2010
The problems of SGBN were political rather than business-related. In 2003 SGBN was barred from the clearing floor because it overdrew its balance at the CBN. Even according to a CBN press release at the time, the incidence of a bank overdrawing its account is not new - it occurs regularly during clearing house operations. In fact CBN can legally provide overdraft accommodation to any bank that overdraws its account. If SGBN had not been barred from the clearing floor it would not have had all the problems it had.

At any rate, SGBN has several shareholders, and it is a bit odd for people to talk as if its problems and solutions are their personal responsibility. No distressed bank in the country has worked harder than SGBN to revive its operations - not Savannah Bank, Triumph Bank, Fortune Bank, or any host of others. SGBN merely fell foul of the politics of the day - and that is not the first time we will see that in Nigeria.

[size=14pt]I would not call using 17 bullion trucks to move money out of SOC General in the dead of the night an accidental over spend by the bank. That sounds more like a well planned and rehearsed Robbery Invsaion squad. [/size]
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by jidecole1: 3:41pm On Jun 13, 2010
8 years of service and what you are here to tell us of his work in Kwara is ONE Bridge and Zimbabwe farmers, which happened only about 2 years or so ago. What happened to the 6 years before? What else has Saraki done in the last 2 years? Please provide a more solid list of Accomplishments. Tell us of the state of the schools in Kwara -- primary and secondary schools. How are the hospitals and roads in general. We want to know more.
You only need to know how poorly developed Kwara was before Dr. Bukola Saraki become governor. No reasonable person would want to go back to what Kwara State was 8 years ago. There was no development plan on ground when he came in, state industries were failing, very low commercial activity. Dr. Bukola Saraki took time to come up with a plan to rescue Kwara State from obscurity and he has followed it faithfully for 8 years. If you bother to find out, there is much more to Dr. Saraki than Zimbabwe farmers. His work cuts across agriculture, aviation, urban renewal, industrialization, rural health and roads, power, water, education, civil service reforms. The Zimbabwe farmers project is of course the flagship project of Kwara State but there is so much more going on. A beg!
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by Kobojunkie: 3:42pm On Jun 13, 2010
jide_cole:

You only need to know how poorly developed Kwara was before Dr. Bukola Saraki become governor. No reasonable person would want to go back to what Kwara State was 8 years ago. There was no development plan on ground when he came in, state industries were failing, very low commercial activity. Dr. Bukola Saraki took time to come up with a plan to rescue Kwara State from obscurity and he has followed it faithfully for 8 years. If you bother to find out, there is much more to Dr. Saraki than Zimbabwe farmers. His work cuts across agriculture, aviation, urban renewal, industrialization, rural health and roads, power, water, education, civil service reforms. The Zimbabwe farmers project is of course the flagship project of Kwara State but there is so much more going on. A beg!

What sort of silly response is this? I ask questions and I am loaded with typical Nigerian ramblings and dance-around for a retort.

Go back, read the questions asked, and TRY AGAIN!
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jun 13, 2010
jide_cole:

bs

a lot of the urban type projects were actually concieved by the ousted lawal - the were already on paper when bukola came in

calling the zimbabwe project the flagship says i all - that project is a failure
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by jidecole1: 4:13pm On Jun 13, 2010
What sort of silly response is this? I ask questions and I am loaded with typical Nigerian ramblings and dance-around for a retort.

Go back, read the questions asked, and TRY AGAIN!
This is such a pointless exercise, because they are so many but let me pick out strategic projects, which he has implemented which are capable of transforming Kwara State in the next 5 to 10 years.
- Shonga Farms Holding
- Upgrade of Ilorin International Airport
- Construction of Cargo Terminal
- Kwara State College of Aviation
- Kwara State University
- Ganmo Stepdown Power Substation
You can then come down to other projects such as road construction (over 1000km) of roads constructed up till date, rehabilitation of dams across the state, rural electrification, rural water provision, community health insurance, renovation of general hospitals (primary health care), resuscitation of Jebba Paper mill, Erin-Ile Paper converters, Ethnix Furniture, Kwara State Football academy, cement factory (under construction). His administration has seen increased corporate presence in the state - Corporate Affairs Commission, NDIC, Nigerian Stock Exchange. All these are a matter of public record. Bear in mind that Kwara State has one of the lowest shares of the Federal Government allocation and IGR. Whether you like it or not, Kwara State now punches above its weight.
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by adamse(f): 4:15pm On Jun 13, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]B4 We can take Saraki serious let him tell Nigerians what happened to their money IN Societal Generale.

Building a bridge in Ilorin and bringing some White Zimbabwe Farmers to Kwara would not exonerate him from what is and should be seen as a callaous dare devil and brazen robbery not any different from what those hoodlums in Aba are doing to that City.

I think it is high time the CBN and Jonathan re-visit this case, maybe the time has come to deport these Malians(Courtesy of his Father) back to where they came from. Their antecedents in Nigeria is bordering on sacrilege.[/size]

gbam!!!

i wonder why some people will think bukola saraki has done any good. a bridge was built,so what? has it added anything to the standard of living of those in ilorin.i wonder if planting of flowers all  around ilorin has also increased" its profile" wake up people.you are been taken for a fool again.
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by Kobojunkie: 4:17pm On Jun 13, 2010
jide_cole:

This is such a pointless exercise, because they are so many but let me pick out strategic projects, which he has implemented which are capable of transforming Kwara State in the next 5 to 10 years.
- Shonga Farms Holding
- Upgrade of Ilorin International Airport
- Construction of Cargo Terminal
- Kwara State College of Aviation
- Kwara State University
- Ganmo Stepdown Power Substation
You can then come down to other projects such as road construction (over 1000km) of roads constructed up till date, rehabilitation of dams across the state, rural electrification, rural water provision, community health insurance, renovation of general hospitals (primary health care), resuscitation of Jebba Paper mill, Erin-Ile Paper converters, Ethnix Furniture, Kwara State Football academy, cement factory (under construction). His administration has seen increased corporate presence in the state - Corporate Affairs Commission, NDIC, Nigerian Stock Exchange. All these are a matter of public record. Bear in mind that Kwara State has one of the lowest shares of the Federal Government allocation and IGR. Whether you like it or not, Kwara State now punches above its weight.

uummm . . . . . Help me out here.

Which of the above did he accomplish in the last 8 years. Lagos had only 3 years and look what he accomplished in that time. Saraki is about to complete 8 years. What has he actually done in that time. That is the question.
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by peteobi: 4:27pm On Jun 13, 2010
a lot of the urban type projects were actually concieved by the ousted lawal - the were already on paper when bukola came in

calling the zimbabwe project the flagship says i all - that project is a failure
The Zimbabwe project is a project that was necessary. There are so many roundtables on food security in the country, and people pay so much lip service to the need to address it. No one has done more than Bukola Saraki to address this issue. If you ask the people of Shonga, the economic benefits of the project, and the improvement it has brought to their lives in terms of health, communication, transportation, employment and agricultural know-how is undeniable. They would not call the project a failure.

The project is the necessary venture into the realities of commercial agriculture in the country. If there is one thing that we have learned, the stumbling block are the banks, ports and custom authorities. Banks don't know the meaning of long-term investment, ports don't know the meaning of clearing goods on time, customs will give 6-month visas to people who have a 25-year lease.

As with all transformational leaders, Dr. Bukola Saraki leads people where they need to go, not where they want to go. It is wrong to describe an effort, which has no option as failed - it is necessary, and it must be done. Shikena.
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by jidecole1: 4:48pm On Jun 13, 2010
uummm . . . . . Help me out here.

Which of the above did he accomplish in the last 8 years. Lagos had only 3 years and look what he accomplished in that time. Saraki is about to complete 8 years. What has he actually done in that time. That is the question.
That is exactly where you appreciate him better. The 2010 budget of Kwara State is N69.4 billion, that of Lagos State is N429.5 billion. Kwara State spends 65% of its income on recurrent expenditure. 70% of all people in formal employment are employed by the civil service. Kwara State has a land area of 36,285km2, while Lagos State is 3,475 km2. It just does not make any sense for Dr. Bukola Saraki to be competing with Lagos state - it is not in the best interest of Kwara State.

The projects are significant and long term. They were carefully chosen and faithfully implemented. Even in the face of downturn in the economy, and the withdrawal of Federal Government support for the water policy, power policy to name two. The uniqueness of Dr. Bukola Saraki is that he has been able to exceed the expectations of many people regarding a state as economically backward as Kwara State. The ethical dilemma of government is allocation of resources - the choice between recurrent expenditure and capital projects, and the capital projects that Dr. Bukola Saraki has committed himself to are well-chosen, faithfully executed, and strategically appropriate.
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by LFJ: 4:57pm On Jun 13, 2010
As a member of federal house of rep. it is surprising that you can come over here to preach to us about Saraki as if we are new to Nigerian system. Kola_Yusuf, I have a lot of respect for you, but don’t come here with this campaing, will know better. They will surely give you another opportunity to go back to the house, but don't come here to add to our pains. What can you say about this executive bill approve for Saraki and his deputy by criminals in the state house.

“A LAW TO MAKE PROVISIONS FOR PESNSION [SIC] OF EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR AND DEPUTRY GOVERNOW OR KWARA STATE AND OTHER MATTERS CONNECTED HEREWITH.  THE KWARA STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY enacts as follows:

1. (1) Any person who held office as an elected governor of deputy governor (referred to in this Law as a public office holder) shall be entitled to the payment of pension at the rate equivalent to the annual basic salary of the incumbent governor of deputy governor and other benefits as provided by the revenue mobilization allocation and fiscal commission.

(2) Any person duly elected as public office holder shall upon the successful completion of term be entitled to a grant of pension for life by the state; provided that such a person shall not be entitled to a grant of pension under this law if he was removed from office by the process of impeachment or for breach of any provision of the constitution.

(3) The sum payable as pension under the provisions of this law shall be charged upon the consolidated revenue fund of the state.

1. The total emolument of the public office holder shall include salary, allowance and fringe benefits as contained in the schedule to this law.

2. Subject to the provisions of section 124 of the Constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria 1999, the pension mentioned in this law shall be payable at the expiration of the tenure of the holder of office.

3. Where the public office holder vacates office.

4. Where the public office holder dies in office.

5. Subject to the provision of section 1(1) of this law, any person who has held office as governor or deputy governor from the year 1999 shall be entitled to this pension scheme.

6. There shall be provided to the governor or deputy governor.

7. A pension or gratuity payable under this law shall not be assignable or transferable or liable to the withheld, attached or levied for the purpose of satisfying: (a) A debt due to federal or state government (b) An order of any court for the payment of periodical sums of money towards the maintenance of the wife or former wife or child of the person in respect of whom the pension has become payable.

1. In this law, where it is expressly provided or the context otherwise requires.

2. This law may be cited as the public office holder (payment of pension) law 2009.

D. Accommodation: (i) One residential house each fore the governor and deputy at any location of their choice in Kwara state; (ii) One residential house in the federal capital territory of the governor on two consecutive terms.

E. Annual Vacation: (iii) 30 days annual vacation outside Nigeria with 30 days estacodes and travel allowances for the governor.

F. Transport: Travel expenses allowances for the governor. (a) Three cars for the governor and in addition one pilot and two backup cars to be replaced every three years en bloc.

G. Furniture: Payable every two years en bloc.

H. Domestic staff: Cook, steward, gardener and other domestic staff who shall be pensionable.

I. Medical: Free medical treatment for the governor and deputy governor and members of their immediate families.

J. Security: To be provided as listed below: Two SSS details for the governor and one female officer one SSS detail for the deputy governor.  Eight policemen (one each for house and personal security) for the governor.  Two policemen (one each for house and personal security) for the deputy governor.

K. Drivers: Pensionable.
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by LFJ: 5:00pm On Jun 13, 2010
[b]SARAKI IS A CRIMINAL BUKOLA IS A CRIMINAL[/b]

Kwarans lampoon Governor Bukola Saraki's Fraudulent Executive Bill PDF | Print | E-mail
Wednesday, 21 April 2010 06:21

Bukola Saraki
The Kwara State Stakeholders Forum has cried out against Governor Bukola Saraki’s Executive Bill, one section of which it describes as “self-serving, self-seeking and selfish.”In a public petition, the Forum laments the failure of the EFCC and the ICPC, for over seven years, to investigate the “large-scale rip-off that has characterized governance under Governor Bukola Saraki’s administration.” “We have invited the anti-corruption bodies, the EFCC and the ICPC, to look into the books of the government of the state since 2003 when Bukola Saraki took over the rein of power but we are yet to see any action taken by the two anticorruption bodies.”

The Forum describes Governor Saraki as a “sacred cow who has been living above the law of the land.”

Signed by Chief Wole Oke, Barrister Kunle Sulyman, and Comrade Bisi Fakayode on behalf of the Forum, the petition said, “The bill is heartless and shows no trait whatsoever of concern and compassion for the people of the sate, the preponderance of whom are peasant farmers who find it really difficult to even pay for the university education of a single child in an average family of four children. The bill is callous and very insensitive to the welfare needs of the people.”

They called on the House of Assembly either to throw out the bill completely, or dilute it comprehensively to reflect the economic realities of the state and to demonstrate that the legislators are conscious of the priority needs of their constituents.

They further warned: “Our legislators should not be party to his subtle design of executive grand larceny.”

Full text below:

The Kwara State Stakeholders Forum

c/o Dr. Amuda Aluko (Tafida of Ilorin)

Who Will Save Kwarans From Governor Bukola Saraki’s Executive Bill?

For the upward of seven years now, the concerned people of Kwara state have been drawing public attention to the large-scale rip-off that has characterized governance under Governor Bukola Saraki’s administration. We have invited the anti-corruption bodies, the EFCC and the ICPC, to look into the books of the government of the state since 2003 when Bukola Saraki took over the rein of power but we are yet to see any action taken by the two anticorruption bodies.

To us, Bukola Saraki has become a sacred cow who has been living above the law of the land. However, as patriots and concerned citizens, we remain undaunted in our efforts to see that the law takes its course. We present below the latest efforts of Bukola Saraki government to ensure its continuous bleeding of the state, even after the expiration of its two terms in office on May 29, 2011. We present hereunder, for public attention, excerpts from the ten-section obnoxious executive bill, which Governor Bukola Saraki has sent to the state House of Assembly. The sections considered relevant to this write-up are 1,2,3,6,8 and the SCHEDULE.

“A LAW TO MAKE PROVISIONS FOR PESNSION [SIC] OF EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR AND DEPUTRY GOVERNOW OR KWARA STATE AND OTHER MATTERS CONNECTED HEREWITH. THE KWARA STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY enacts as follows:

1. (1) Any person who held office as an elected governor of deputy governor (referred to in this Law as a public office holder) shall be entitled to the payment of pension at the rate equivalent to the annual basic salary of the incumbent governor of deputy governor and other benefits as provided by the revenue mobilization allocation and fiscal commission.

(2) Any person duly elected as public office holder shall upon the successful completion of term be entitled to a grant of pension for life by the state; provided that such a person shall not be entitled to a grant of pension under this law if he was removed from office by the process of impeachment or for breach of any provision of the constitution.

(3) The sum payable as pension under the provisions of this law shall be charged upon the consolidated revenue fund of the state.

1. The total emolument of the public office holder shall include salary, allowance and fringe benefits as contained in the schedule to this law.

2. Subject to the provisions of section 124 of the Constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria 1999, the pension mentioned in this law shall be payable at the expiration of the tenure of the holder of office.

5. Subject to the provision of section 1(1) of this law, any person who has held office as governor or deputy governor from the year 1999 shall be entitled to this pension scheme.

7. A pension or gratuity payable under this law shall not be assignable or transferable or liable to the withheld, attached or levied for the purpose of satisfying: (a) A debt due to federal or state government (b) An order of any court for the payment of periodical sums of money towards the maintenance of the wife or former wife or child of the person in respect of whom the pension has become payable.

1. In this law, where it is expressly provided or the context otherwise requires.

2. This law may be cited as the public office holder (payment of pension) law 2009.

D. Accommodation: (i) One residential house each fore the governor and deputy at any location of their choice in Kwara state; (ii) One residential house in the federal capital territory of the governor on two consecutive terms.

E. Annual Vacation: (iii) 30 days annual vacation outside Nigeria with 30 days estacodes and travel allowances for the governor.

F. Transport: Travel expenses allowances for the governor. (a) Three cars for the governor and in addition one pilot and two backup cars to be replaced every three years en bloc.

H. Domestic staff: Cook, steward, gardener and other domestic staff who shall be pensionable.

I. Medical: Free medical treatment for the governor and deputy governor and members of their immediate families.

J. Security: To be provided as listed below: Two SSS details for the governor and one female officer one SSS detail for the deputy governor. Eight policemen (one each for house and personal security) for the governor. Two policemen (one each for house and personal security) for the deputy governor.

K. Drivers: Pensionable.

OUR VIEWS

ON SECTION 6: The bill is self-serving, self-seeking and selfish.

Civilian administration began in Kwara state in 1979 when Alhaji Adamu Atta was the first democratically elected Executive Governor of the state and Alhaji Jimoh Shittu was the deputy governor. Alhaji Adamu Atta who is still alive governed for four years, October 1, 1979 to September 30, 1983. He was not impeached. Chief C.O. Adebayo, having defeated the incumbent governor Alhaji Adamu Atta in the governorship election of 1983 became the second executive governor and ruled the state between October 1, 1983 until the military took over in December 30, 1983. Chief C.O. Adebayo was not impeached.

He is still alive although his deputy, Alhaji Usman Abatemi, has died. In January 1992, Alhaji Shaaba Lafiago was sworn in as the third executive governor of the state having been popularly elected in a democratically conducted election. He governed between January 1992 and November 17, 1993 when the army took over the control of the nationa [sic]. Alhaji Shaaba was not impeached. He still alive [sic] today though his deputy, Chief Ojo Fadumila has died.

Under the current 4th republic, which commenced in 1999, Alhaji Mohammed Lawal had ruled the state for four years before Bukola Saraki defeated him in an election in 2003. Alhaji Mohammed Lawal unfortunately is dead. It is noteworthy that Bukola’s bill is now made retroactive to take effect from 1999 which makes Lawal and Bukola the only beneficiaries of the new law being contemplated. However, in reality the only beneficiary of the law is Bukola since Lawal has died over two years ago.

We say the proposed bill under construction in the House of Assembly is selfish, self-seeking and self-serving. Only recently, the National Assembly passed a similar law in respect of pension for former democratically elected presidents and heads of state. That law was made retroactive to take effect from the first republic and that is why Alhaji Shahu Shagari and Dr. Ekwueme, the duo who steered the ship of the nation between 1979 and 1983 as president and vice president respectively are automatic beneficiaries of the bill recently passed into law by the National Assembly.

That is why Olusegum Obasanjo is a beneficiary of the law. Why has Bukola’s bill so designed in a way that he is effectively the sole beneficiary? We are saying the law should be made to include all those who have governed the state since 1979. They have offered meritorious service to the people of the state selflessly and conscientiously. To decide to exclude them as Bukola proposes in his bill to the House of Assembly is mean and petty, it is demonstrative of a total lack of statesmanship and foresight since no condition is permanent and no success is forever.

On section 8- We ask why should the private debt of a former governor be the concern of the state? How he expends his pension should not be part of the law. If Bukola has any debt to settle after leaving office, he should not make his private affairs part of a law that should stand for all time. That section of the bill should be totally expunged.

On the schedule- We are flabbergasted by the contents of the schedule attached to the bill, which spells out the responsibilities of the people of the state have to shoulder in order to help a former governor continue to maintain his standard of living as if he were still a serving governor. The schedule demonstrates Bukola Saraki’s lack of consideration for the economic stature and status of the state, a state which depends almost entirely on allocation from the federation account; a state that is often derisively referred to as “civil service state” because of its low level of industrial development.

Under item D of the schedule- Bukola Saraki is asking for “one residential house in the federal capital territory for the governor of two consecutive terms.” This, to us, is the height of a law made to suit that personal need of an individual. Bukola is the only person who is into a second term as governor of the state, hence the only beneficiary of that provision. Moreover, we ask, can the finance of the state (where internally generated revenue under Bukola Saraki’s administration today is below N300,000,000 per month, coupled with the uncertainty in the level of monthly inflow from the federation account to Kwara state) accommodate such private luxury of a former governor? In another context, what is the correlation between a former governor being provided a luxury mansion in Abuja and the people of Kwara state and their priority needs.

Why the caveat of a two-term governor? Our contention is that a law should not be made to suit the whims and caprices of an individual or to gratify an individual’s insatiable appetite for acquisition of property. A law is not to satisfy the desire of a single person but rather a law is expected to be made to endure and serve the people. Our belief at this point is that Bukola is merely coveting the Kwara state government mansion built by the state government and serving as the state liaison office in Abuja. The proposed law lacks human face; it is wicked and inconsiderate. How can a governor, under whose administration, the sate’s civil servants are the least paid in the country; under whose administration students are not enjoying scholarship awards; under whose administration the rural area are crying for attention to be provided with the most basic necessities of life like portable water [sic], electricity and all-season motorable roads; under whose administration pupils in primary schools are still learning under the shade of trees because there are no classrooms; under whose administration civil servants are marking time on the same grade level for six years without getting the promotion due to them; under whose administration the state has been recording mass failure in NECO examination for the past several years because there are no materials and equipment for students, particularly in the science laboratories; under whose administration pensioners are not paid their dues, a situation which has led to the death of uncountable number of pensioners while awaiting payment of their pension arrears and, which has led this class of citizens (pensioners) of the state, who have conscientiously and faithfully served their fatherland, to being compelled to drag the state to provide him with six cars every three years; pay 300percent of his annual basic salary for furniture allowance; free medical treatment for him and members of his immediate family (presumably in hospitals in any part of the world), when basic primary healthcare delivery is not even available to the citizens under the current Bukola administration and when the very basic necessities of life for the people cannot even be met by the sate under this same Bukola Saraki administration.

The bill is heartless and shows no trait whatsoever of concern and compassion for the people of the sate, the preponderance of whom are peasant farmers who find it really difficult to even pay for the university education of a single child in an average family of four children. The ill is callous and very insensitive to the welfare needs of the people.

To us, this is an anachronism! Out of power, Bukola still wants to continue to intimidate us with his siren with which he wants to continue to chase us out of the road whenever he is passing by. No way! The Kwara state House of Assembly for the sake of their own names and for the sake of their progeny, in the interest of their integrity and most importantly in the interest of Kwarans whom they claim to represent, should either throw out the bill completely or comprehensively water it down to reflect the economic realities of the state and to demonstrate that they (the legislators) are conscious of the priority needs of their constituents. Our legislators should not be party tot his subtle design of executive grand larceny. Kwarans, shine your eyes.

Signed by:

Chief Wole Oke

Barrister Kunle Sulyman

Comrade Bisi Fakayode
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by kolayusuf: 5:06pm On Jun 13, 2010
Kwarans lampoon Governor Bukola Saraki's Fraudulent Executive Bill ”

Dr. Bukola Saraki has already addressed this issue. The bill was sponsored by the Majority Leader in the State Assembly. It was not the brainchild of Dr. Bukola Saraki, and he has vowed not to sign the bill until it is reviewed substantially downwards. He talked about it in his last media chat, which I have excerpted:

THE PUNCH Monday 7th January, 2010
Governor Bukola Saraki of Kwara State has vowednot to sign the Pension Bill passed by the state House of Assembly until some controversial areas are resolved, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

Speaking on Saturday at a media chat, the governor said that the executive would soon return the bill to the Assembly with a view to amending some of the controversial areas.

He said, “There are many controversial issues in it and I will not sign the bill because I am sending it back to the House for them to take a look at some of the issues therein.

“I know that about eight states are now operating similar pension schemes, but some things must be amended.”

The governor explained that he was more concerned about the resources of the state and the ability to implement the bill, saying, “definitely the bill will return to the House for a second look and to see what they can shave off from it.”

Saraki said that after getting a copy of the bill, he made his personal views and comments known to the Assembly, pointing out that some of the provisions contained in the bill were “unnecessarily frivolous.”

INTERVIEW

BIODUN FAGBEMI: Your Excellency Sir, there is this issue of pension issue for former governors and so many comments are going about in the town as relates to the pension matter. I wouldn’t know if you can please clarify the issue about the pension issue.

GOV. BUKOLA SARAKI: I think you are right there. There has been a lot of misrepresentation. First of all, it was first presented that it was an executive bill, and then later everybody found out that the governor had nothing to do with it – it was a private bill. Then the discussions went on the pension. I was able to get a copy of it, and I made my own comments through the chief of staff on my own ideas or my own views and some of the issues that were being presented. These are my personal views. I made my own views that some of these are not necessary. The issue for example, of annual vacation, allowances, talking about building houses for governors or deputy governors. I personally said I don’t want that. Talking about the issue of even the allowances due, pension, I even said cut it down to 50%– they were recommending 100%. These are all stated and documented to show that definitely on my own side that is not what it is all about – it’s all about service. Even up till now I’ve not signed the bill, because I’m still going back to the house on this issue of 50%. I want them to have a second look at that, and one or two other areas. I know at least about 8 states have been operating similar pension schemes all over the country and as you have not heard much noise in the media about it, but that is not the point. I am looking at the resources and capacity of the state and the ability to be able to meet it. Definitely I will see what can be done in that area. I am still looking at it, and I’m sending it back to the house very soon to have a second look and see what they can again shave off. I will address that. That is from my own point of view.”

The full interview is at: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150191953710508
You can also see the Punch article at: http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201006071455592
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by Becomrich0: 5:13pm On Jun 13, 2010
LFL , Kunle sulyman. Is of DPP , i read online. why dont you show everybody where you go the link from

news.biafranigeriaworld.com/archive/2003/apr/02/060.html

So you think biafranigeriaworld.com own by Biafra main man in the USA chuck Odili of nigeriaworld.com

So since you forgot the biafra flag in your article , let me help you put it there.

Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by Kobojunkie: 5:13pm On Jun 13, 2010
jide_cole:

That is exactly where you appreciate him better. The 2010 budget of Kwara State is N69.4 billion, that of Lagos State is N429.5 billion. Kwara State spends 65% of its income on recurrent expenditure. 70% of all people in formal employment are employed by the civil service. Kwara State has a land area of 36,285km2, while Lagos State is 3,475 km2. It just does not make any sense for Dr. Bukola Saraki to be competing with Lagos state - it is not in the best interest of Kwara State.
I didn't suggest competition here. And by the way, you mention LAND MASS but not POPULATION. Please bring this back to reality. Lagos has had only 3 years and Saraki has had almost 8. What has Saraki actually DONE?
That 70% of all people in formal employment are employed by the civil service, after 8 years, is BAD, not good.

jide_cole:

The projects are significant and long term. They were carefully chosen and faithfully implemented. Even in the face of downturn in the economy, and the withdrawal of Federal Government support for the water policy, power policy to name two. The uniqueness of Dr. Bukola Saraki is that he has been able to exceed the expectations of many people regarding a state as economically backward as Kwara State. The ethical dilemma of government is allocation of resources - the choice between recurrent expenditure and capital projects, and the capital projects that Dr. Bukola Saraki has committed himself to are well-chosen, faithfully executed, and strategically appropriate.
I can offer you something similar to the above for excuse for Yar adua's 8 years in Katsina. In 8 years, what has Bukola Saraki actually accomplished? How much better has the lives of average Kwara people become in that time?
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by oderemo(m): 5:22pm On Jun 13, 2010
@ kobo,
you are asking 2 much questions. the thing is , in kwara, replace bukola with a dog and name her saraki, bet you that dog will be governor.
ilu lorin ko se na gan,
ilu to sunmo, alujonna.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by ikeyman00(m): 5:38pm On Jun 13, 2010
@@@@@@@

beomerich

u need a medical attention from an igbo doctor

the sooner the better
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by jidecole1: 5:44pm On Jun 13, 2010
I didn't suggest competition here. And by the way, you mention LAND MASS but not POPULATION. Please bring this back to reality. Lagos has had only 3 years and Saraki has had almost 8. What has Saraki actually DONE?
That 70% of all people in formal employment are employed by the civil service, after 8 years, is BAD, not good.
In measuring the performance of any leader in office, you cannot avoid the issue of how much he has at his disposal. That is why project managers do what is called buget-execution analysis. Also you cannot overlook the issue of land mass, because people are affected by what they see. If 1000km of roadworks was compressed into a space of 3475km2 the land mass of Lagos, of course it would be strikingly impressive as opposed to when it is distributed through the 36,285km2 of Kwara state.

The statistics I quote for employment are from 2003 when Dr. Bukola Saraki assumed office.

@ ode-remo: In response to your statement - even if a pastor were named Saraki some people would automatically assume that he was not a man of God because of bias.It is no secret that a lot of people were hoping that Dr. Bukola Saraki would turn out to be incompetent. Dr. Bukola Saraki has one over many reluctant admirers by the fact of his performance.
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by LFJ: 6:01pm On Jun 13, 2010
I find it very difficula
kola_yusuf:

Dr. Bukola Saraki has already addressed this issue. The bill was sponsored by the Majority Leader in the State Assembly. It was not the brainchild of Dr. Bukola Saraki, and he has vowed not to sign the bill until it is reviewed substantially downwards. He talked about it in his last media chat, which I have excerpted:

THE PUNCH Monday 7th January, 2010
Governor Bukola Saraki of Kwara State has vowednot to sign the Pension Bill passed by the state House of Assembly until some controversial areas are resolved, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

Speaking on Saturday at a media chat, the governor said that the executive would soon return the bill to the Assembly with a view to amending some of the controversial areas.

He said, “There are many controversial issues in it and I will not sign the bill because I am sending it back to the House for them to take a look at some of the issues therein.

“I know that about eight states are now operating similar pension schemes, but some things must be amended.”

The governor explained that he was more concerned about the resources of the state and the ability to implement the bill, saying, “definitely the bill will return to the House for a second look and to see what they can shave off from it.”

Saraki said that after getting a copy of the bill, he made his personal views and comments known to the Assembly, pointing out that some of the provisions contained in the bill were “unnecessarily frivolous.”

INTERVIEW

BIODUN FAGBEMI: Your Excellency Sir, there is this issue of pension issue for former governors and so many comments are going about in the town as relates to the pension matter. I wouldn’t know if you can please clarify the issue about the pension issue.

GOV. BUKOLA SARAKI: I think you are right there. There has been a lot of misrepresentation. First of all, it was first presented that it was an executive bill, and then later everybody found out that the governor had nothing to do with it – it was a private bill. Then the discussions went on the pension. I was able to get a copy of it, and I made my own comments through the chief of staff on my own ideas or my own views and some of the issues that were being presented. These are my personal views. I made my own views that some of these are not necessary. The issue for example, of annual vacation, allowances, talking about building houses for governors or deputy governors. I personally said I don’t want that. Talking about the issue of even the allowances due, pension, I even said cut it down to 50%– they were recommending 100%. These are all stated and documented to show that definitely on my own side that is not what it is all about – it’s all about service. Even up till now I’ve not signed the bill, because I’m still going back to the house on this issue of 50%. I want them to have a second look at that, and one or two other areas. I know at least about 8 states have been operating similar pension schemes all over the country and as you have not heard much noise in the media about it, but that is not the point. I am looking at the resources and capacity of the state and the ability to be able to meet it. Definitely I will see what can be done in that area. I am still looking at it, and I’m sending it back to the house very soon to have a second look and see what they can again shave off. I will address that. That is from my own point of view.”

The full interview is at: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150191953710508
You can also see the Punch article at: http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201006071455592

I find it very difficult to believe that a member of the house of rep. will come here to tell us lies; a member of federal house for that matter, the bill was signed by Bukola months ago. It is a well known fact, that your friend, your god father is a criminal. Saraki is a criminal, a thief, selfish and greedy. The worst of Jonathan is better than the best of Saraki. The display of maturity and loyalty by Jonathan during the period of Yar adua illness is what Bukola and his father can never match. They will rather prefer to go any length to take that power even if that will mean the end of Nigeria than allow destiny to prevail. Let them continue their evil in Kwara state, when it is the right time, God will rescue us. As I said, continue to market your bad product for your own selfish reasons.
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by LFJ: 6:30pm On Jun 13, 2010
Becomrich0:

LFL , Kunle sulyman. Is of DPP , i read online. why dont you show everybody where you go the link from

news.biafranigeriaworld.com/archive/2003/apr/02/060.html

So you think biafranigeriaworld.com own by Biafra main man in the USA chuck Odili of nigeriaworld.com

So since you forgot the biafra flag in your article , let me help you put it there.

Becomerich0
what is your point, this is the link you are looking for; where did I mention Kunle sulyman ? How is the name Kunle Sulman the same as Kola Yusuf?
http://www.saharareporters.com/real-news/sr-headlines/5872-kwarans-lampoon-governor-bukola-sarakis-fraudulent-executive-bill.html
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by kolayusuf: 6:33pm On Jun 13, 2010
I find it very difficult to believe that a member of the house of rep. will come here to tell us lies; a member of federal house for that matter, the bill was signed by Bukola months ago.

First let me correct a wrong impression. I am not Kola Yusuf of the House of Representatives. Secondly, the proceedings of any State Assembly are a matter of public record. If you claim that Dr. Bukola Saraki has indeed signed the bill, and you have not checked the public records, then you are being unfair to Dr. Bukola Saraki and the other members of this forum. What is public knowledge is this:

- The bill was sponsored by Hon. Ishola Balogun Fulani, the Majority House Leader
- On March 26, 2010, a public hearing to collate the views of interested groups and individuals was held
- On April 12 2010, Dr. Saraki proposed nine amendments to the bill
- On April 21st, a statement was released saying that the bill had been passed
- On May 29th, Dr. Bukola Saraki publicly stated that the bill had not been signed into law.

If anyone wants to point fingers, then they should be pointing fingers at the state assembly, not Dr. Bukola Saraki. It is the state assembly that has refused to slash the pension package as it is insisting that that is the standard all over the world, without considering the resources of Kwara as a state. That is exactly why Dr. Bukola Saraki has not signed the controversial bill. Please LFJ check the records.
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by Osama10(m): 6:38pm On Jun 13, 2010
Oh so you want Saraki to be President now, na wa for nigerians.
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by nex(m): 6:53pm On Jun 13, 2010
@Jide Cole

I do agree with you that it is unfair to compare Lagos with Kwara state. I was in Kwara in 1998 and Ilorin looked so rural. I've seen some photos and videos lately which are quite impressive and I intend to enter Ilorin before 2011.

@ Kola Yusuf

I'm really depressed by this Public Pensions Bill, and I'm ashamed of Kwarans for not being able to command their Representatives to rip that Bill to pieces. This is probably the worst document I've ever read in my life. It seems more like fiction than reality and I know the Governor has something to do with it. The truth is that whether the Bill is passed or not, a change is going to come, and very soon for that matter. That law will be overturned and the beneficiaries will have a debt hanging over their heads.

Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by suleyaha: 7:10pm On Jun 13, 2010
I'm really depressed by this Public Pensions Bill, and I'm ashamed of Kwarans for not being able to command their Representatives to rip that Bill to pieces. This is probably the worst document I've ever read in my life. It seems more like fiction than reality and I know the Governor has something to do with it. The truth is that whether the Bill is passed or not, a change is going to come, and very soon for that matter. That law will be overturned and the beneficiaries will have a debt hanging over their heads.
I think the bad guys in this scenario are the members of the state assembly. Any assertion that Dr. Bukola Saraki is personally interested in the bill as proposed is purely speculative. The state assembly is claiming that such a compensation package is standard the world over. I checked, and it seems to be. By the end of this year, Bill Clinton's pension package would have cost the US $8 million.

The point that the state assembly has refused to understand is that, our economy, and our living standards fall below that of other countries they are using as a benchmark. I believe Dr. Bukola Saraki as said as much, and that is why he has refused to sign the bill. I am even beginning to think that some members of the state assembly are pushing the bill so that if they should reach the office of governor some day, they can benefit from such a fantastic pension.
Re: Between Saraki And Jonathan: Is Goodluck Jonathan An Accident Waiting To Happen by LFJ: 7:15pm On Jun 13, 2010
kola_yusuf:

First let me correct a wrong impression. I am not Kola Yusuf of the House of Representatives. Secondly, the proceedings of any State Assembly are a matter of public record. If you claim that Dr. Bukola Saraki has indeed signed the bill, and you have not checked the public records, then you are being unfair to Dr. Bukola Saraki and the other members of this forum. What is public knowledge is this:

- The bill was sponsored by Hon. Ishola Balogun Fulani, the Majority House Leader
- On March 26, 2010, a public hearing to collate the views of interested groups and individuals was held
- On April 12 2010, Dr. Saraki proposed nine amendments to the bill
- On April 21st, a statement was released saying that the bill had been passed
- On May 29th, Dr. Bukola Saraki publicly stated that the bill had not been signed into law.

If anyone wants to point fingers, then they should be pointing fingers at the state assembly, not Dr. Bukola Saraki. It is the state assembly that has refused to slash the pension package as it is insisting that that is the standard all over the world, without considering the resources of Kwara as a state. That is exactly why Dr. Bukola Saraki has not signed the controversial bill. Please LFJ check the records.

I think you should be proud of who you are. I don’t want to argue with you over the issue of this bill because the public know the truth already. You said, the bill was sponsored by Hon. Ishola Balogun Fulani, the Majority House Leader, before man and God can you say a member of the house will just imagine and come up with such bill. What do you think the man stand to gain to come up with such bill, in what way is that bill represent the interest of people of Kwara State or even his own constituency? The story that one dumb honorable sponsor that bill is in itself a fraud. The man was used by Saraki to present his wish.
For clarity purpose, tell me in what way you think this is in the interest of Kwara State;

• [b]Any person who held office as an elected governor of deputy governor (referred to in this Law as a public office holder) shall be entitled to the payment of pension at the rate equivalent to the annual basic salary of the incumbent governor of deputy governor and other benefits as provided by the revenue mobilization allocation and fiscal commission.

• Any person duly elected as public office holder shall upon the successful completion of term be entitled to a grant of pension for life by the state; provided that such a person shall not be entitled to a grant of pension under this law if he was removed from office by the process of impeachment or for breach of any provision of the constitution.

• The sum payable as pension under the provisions of this law shall be charged upon the consolidated revenue fund of the state.

D. Accommodation: (i) One residential house each for the governor and deputy at any location of their choice in Kwara state; (ii) One residential house in the federal capital territory of the governor on two consecutive terms.

J. Security: To be provided as listed below: Two SSS details for the governor and one female officer one SSS detail for the deputy governor. Eight policemen (one each for house and personal security) for the governor. Two policemen (one each for house and personal security) for the deputy governor.

K. Drivers: Pensionable. [/b]
If you argue that there is amendment to the above bill, then let see the latest one and subject it to public debate. If your pay master is not in any way aware of that bill he will not even consider an amendment to that bill talk less of signing the bill. “Iron pa ro fun ro”

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Bank Can I Use In Nigeria If I Want Peace Of Mind? / "All Because Of Politics" - Adeyanju Shares Disturbing Screenshots (photo) / 3 Nigerians Beheaded In Saudi Arabia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 171
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.