Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,666 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

"Hundreds" Of Nigerian Troops Captured As Military Base Is Attacked - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Hundreds" Of Nigerian Troops Captured As Military Base Is Attacked (1213 Views)

Gunshots As Atiku’s Convoy Is Attacked In Borno / Wikipedia Locks Bola Tinubu's Page After It Is Attacked By Vandals / Adam Lamido Sanusi Speaks On Splitting Of Kano Emirate, Says father is attacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Hundreds" Of Nigerian Troops Captured As Military Base Is Attacked by Jakumo(m): 12:20pm On Jul 17, 2018
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/boko-haram-overruns-nigeria-military-second-attack-days-003015724.html

When the tally of the missing soldiers is finally complete, this could be the greatest single loss of Nigerian troops, in one incident, since the the infamous Uzakoli ambush that occurred decades ago during the Biafran war.

Certainly, since the Boko Haram insurgency began, there has not until this incident been a loss of hundreds of troops in one single attack. If those troops are declared missing and not confirmed dead, then it is virtually guaranteed that the captured troops will undergo very horrific fates, that may wind up filmed and posted online, as Jihadists are in the habit of doing.

This chapter will rank as one of the darkest and most tragic in Nigerian military history.

1 Like

Re: "Hundreds" Of Nigerian Troops Captured As Military Base Is Attacked by SalamRushdie: 12:24pm On Jul 17, 2018
A complete Nigerian Battalion routed in just 2 hours by a ragtag Boko Haram force and 100s of soldiers missing yet no head has rolled in the Army instead the Army opted to deny the story

6 Likes

Re: "Hundreds" Of Nigerian Troops Captured As Military Base Is Attacked by buhariguy(m): 12:26pm On Jul 17, 2018
Where is the hundreds of soldiers captured,?
I thought you have the photo of how the hundreds of soldiers were captured.
Re: "Hundreds" Of Nigerian Troops Captured As Military Base Is Attacked by Jakumo(m): 12:28pm On Jul 17, 2018
SalamRushdie:
A complete Nigerian Battalion routed in just 2 hours by a ragtag Boko Haram force and 100s of soldiers missing yet no head has rolled in the Army

No question this alarming incident will be described in greater detail over the coming days. Most Nigerian troops would probably prefer to die in combat, than to be captured by Jihadis, who have been known to exhibit macabre creativity when dispatching prisoners of war.

2 Likes

Re: "Hundreds" Of Nigerian Troops Captured As Military Base Is Attacked by LoopyNick(m): 12:32pm On Jul 17, 2018
SalamRushdie:
A complete Nigerian Battalion routed in just 2 hours by a ragtag Boko Haram force and 100s of soldiers missing yet no head has rolled in the Army instead the Army opted to deny the story

How possible is it if its not politics, and for the media, I don't blame them ,I blame the Nigeria Army Commander's
Re: "Hundreds" Of Nigerian Troops Captured As Military Base Is Attacked by Dami12345: 12:55pm On Jul 17, 2018
That's a massive loss.
I wish the Nigerian army took volunteers.

I would like to try my hand at hunting book haram.
Re: "Hundreds" Of Nigerian Troops Captured As Military Base Is Attacked by kenny905(m): 12:59pm On Jul 17, 2018
Noticed that Northern Leaders no longer organise press conferences lamenting about spate of insecurity in their region.

We must commend Buhari for restoring peace in the North from Sokoto to Zamfara, Borno to Yobe, Adamawa to Taraba Benue to Southern Kaduna to Plateau. ��

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Hundreds" Of Nigerian Troops Captured As Military Base Is Attacked by phase1: 1:02pm On Jul 17, 2018
Dami12345:
That's a massive loss.
I wish the Nigerian army took volunteers.

I would like to try my hand at hunting book haram.

You can apply to the Nigeria army depot in zaria during the next intake.
Re: "Hundreds" Of Nigerian Troops Captured As Military Base Is Attacked by RevenGeMission: 1:14pm On Jul 17, 2018
mynd44

The news is fake, the link does not exist
Re: "Hundreds" Of Nigerian Troops Captured As Military Base Is Attacked by Dami12345: 1:16pm On Jul 17, 2018
phase1:

You can apply to the Nigeria army depot in zaria during the next intake.

When is that, what site can I find the necessary information, and in what capacity can I apply, can I bring a private team to aid as a volunteer?.

Thank you for the information.
Re: "Hundreds" Of Nigerian Troops Captured As Military Base Is Attacked by Oshin56(m): 1:35pm On Jul 17, 2018
Baba have conquered boko-haram even fulani herdsmen are not from Nigeria this news is not real it's the handwork of the opposition THE ONLY THING A MAN CAN NEVER EXCAPE IN LIFE IS KARMA
Re: "Hundreds" Of Nigerian Troops Captured As Military Base Is Attacked by Jakumo(m): 1:39pm On Jul 17, 2018
RevenGeMission:
mynd44

The news is fake, the link does not exist

I tried the link and found that Yahoo news has indeed removed this story. The link no longer works, through no fault of my own.

I will leave it to the mods to decide whether or not to delete this entire thread.

Update : This news story is STILL up on Yahoo News at the following link

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boko-haram-overruns-nigeria-military-second-attack-days-003015724.html

For those whose browser doesn't work with the above Yahoo News link, here is the full text, copied and pasted

"Kano (Nigeria) (AFP) - Hundreds of Nigerian troops are missing after Boko Haram jihadists overran a military base in the remote northeast, security sources said Sunday, in the second major assault on the armed forces in two days.

The militants invaded a base holding more than 700 soldiers in Yobe state -- where they abducted over 100 girls from a school earlier this year -- in an hours-long onslaught Saturday night, a military source told AFP on condition of anonymity.

Fewer than 100 soldiers have returned following the attack, which took place just 24 hours after Boko Haram fighters ambushed a military convoy in neighbouring Borno state on Friday.

The two assaults have highlighted the tenuous hold Nigerian forces have on the ravaged region despite claims by President Muhammadu Buhari's government that the country is in a "post-conflict stabilisation phase".

"Boko Haram terrorists attacked troops of the 81st Division Forward Brigade at Jilli village in Geidam district. The terrorists came in huge numbers around 7:30 pm (1830 GMT) and overran the base after a fierce battle that lasted until 9:10 pm," said the military source.

"The base had 734 troops. Currently the commander of the base and 63 soldiers have made it to Geidam (60 kilometres away) while the remaining 670 are being expected," he said, without elaborating on their possible fate.

"We don't know if there were any casualties among the troops. That will be known later," he said, adding that the base was new and the troops had recently arrived from Lagos, Nigeria's commercial capital.

A leader of a local anti-jihadist militia said the soldiers sustained casualties, but was unable to give a toll, attributing the attack to the Abu-Mus'ab Al-Barnawi faction of Boko Haram, which is known for targeting Nigerian forces.

"We learned that they drove from Lake Chad through Gubio (in nearby Borno state) and attacked the base," he said.

Geidam resident Fannami Gana said the jihadists "overwhelmed" the troops.

"We don't know the details of what happened but we learnt they were overwhelmed by hundreds of Boko Haram gunmen," said Gana.

Nigerian army spokesman Texas Chukwu said he did not know about the attack.

"I am not aware of the attack because (I) have not received information from there," Chukwu said in a text message to AFP.

- Battle for control -

On Friday, 23 Nigerian soldiers went missing after Boko Haram ambushed a convoy outside Bama, leading to the loss of several military vehicles.

According to a military officer, "around 100 terrorists" attacked the convoy.

The sophisticated attacks highlight the continued threat -- and evolution -- of Boko Haram, an Islamic State group ally, said Yan St-Pierre, counter-terrorism advisor and head of the Berlin-based Modern Security Consulting Group.

St-Pierre suggested the attacks could be because Boko Haram fighters are vying for control of the faction led by Abubakar Shekau, the long-time jihadist leader who is reportedly ill.

"When a near-mythical leader is on his way out there's always a battle to establish who could be next," said St-Pierre.

The attacks show the persistent threat of Boko Haram in the Lake Chad region, he said.

As the jihadists exploit rampant poverty in the region, the Nigerian army, which is overstretched and under-resourced, struggles to keep the insurgency in check.

"The supply of Boko Haram fighters is always there, either through kidnapping or economic reasons, they tap into a wide pool of personnel, they find a way to replenish their strength," St-Pierre said.

Buhari, a 75-year-old former military ruler, came to power three years ago on a promise to defeat Boko Haram.

But while there have been clear military gains since a counter-insurgency was launched in 2015, suicide bombings and raids remain a constant threat, particularly to civilians.

Boko Haram's Islamist insurgency has devastated the region since 2009, leaving at least 20,000 people dead, displacing more than two million others and triggering a humanitarian crisis."

Copied from Yahoo News today July 17th 2018
Re: "Hundreds" Of Nigerian Troops Captured As Military Base Is Attacked by Padyautos: 1:41pm On Jul 17, 2018
SPLIT NIGERIA, THATS THE ONLY SOLUTION
Re: "Hundreds" Of Nigerian Troops Captured As Military Base Is Attacked by orisa37: 1:49pm On Jul 17, 2018
This is very serious. Very soon Bokoharam will descend on Abuja and Aso Villa will be gone.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do I See The Hand Of Saraki In The NASS Invasion? / Osun Election: SDP Chieftain, Oladeji Opens Up On What Happened Between Omisore, / Fani-kayode Reacts To Obasanjo’s Meeting With Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.