Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Jim Iyke: Most Nollywood Marketers Who Banned G8 Actors In 2004 Have Gone Broke - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Jim Iyke: Most Nollywood Marketers Who Banned G8 Actors In 2004 Have Gone Broke (624 Views)

Chinedu Ikedieze & Osita Iheme At New York Film Academy in 2004 (Throwback Pix) / What’s Going On With Footballer Obafemi Martins? Has He Gone Broke? (Photos) / Annie Idibia's First Visit To 2face Home In Benue In 2004 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jim Iyke: Most Nollywood Marketers Who Banned G8 Actors In 2004 Have Gone Broke by Yarnvibes(f): 7:04am On Jul 18, 2018
About 14 years ago, 8 A-List Nollywood actors, including Ramsey Nouah, Genevieve Nnaji, RMD and Jim Iyke, were banned by marketers for charging huge fees.

During an interview with Pulse TV, Jim Iyke talked about the ban and its impact years later.

According to the actor, the vacuum created by the the ban is yet to be filled till date. He also said that the ban led to a decline in the general prosperity of Nollywood.

Read interview below:

On the ‘powerful’ marketers

When we were banned, so to speak, they forgot that the power that be then was transitional. It’s not real power. It’s something that was emerging, almost non-existent.

To think you have enough power to ban someone and totally shut down what they stand for, what they are gifted with, the joy they bring to themselves, not only as a challenge and a responsibility, but to the world in general, is downright evil. And they paid for it drastically, if you ask me.

The ban was a blessing to him and made him stronger

These were men who thought that what we were asking for at that point was undeserving, so they went ahead and banned us. But you know what? It made us stronger. It made me stronger.

It made me begin to look for other opportunities, do things that I didn’t think was conceivable, meet people that I didn’t know knew me and wanted to do business with me, travel the world, broaden my horizon. It was the greatest blessing of my life.

It ushered in a new group of actors and actresses and created new opportunities, no doubt. It was a welcome development.

The way they went about it was totally wrong and demeaning, but it also created a huge vacuum because a lot of us actually started investing our time and resources outside the industry, which paid off tremendously.

He says the ban brought a decline in Nollywood’s profitability

The gap is still felt till tomorrow. They have not been able to fill it, I dare say. And it has brought a general decline in the general prosperity of Nollywood as well.

Because that back to back thing, that availability really declined and the people that were coming in came in with a great deal of skepticism as regards loyalty. Because to me, you would probably do it to the next person. So they took measures not to fall victim as well, and together, it has been a very smart turnout.

Jim Iyke doesn’t think the ban ended well for the marketers

And these guys [marketers] were not properly trained in the business of filmmaker, so with time, there was redundancy and they started to fizzle out.

Economically, it was not something you could do. They thought they had the power, but they didn’t. It was not you the world wanted to see, it was us. It’s not you that hold the real power, it’s us.

It’s not you that commanded the real respect, it’s us. And the propensity of this entity? It was us. So at the end of the day, it was a terrible underestimation of the kind of power we swayed at that time.

On lessons to be learnt from the ban

I think it’s a great lesson to be learnt in history that you can’t wake up a monster that you don’t have the power to tame. They woke up a monster in all of us at the time, that monster is still there. The moral lesson of it is still etched on my mental mindset.

Nollywood has suffered tremendously for that singular act of mutiny because we really didn’t deserve it at that time.There’s always a table and there’s always civility, and two misunderstood groups can always sit down and meet each other half way. But they thought they had the power to shut our lives down.

At the end of the day, this was the only business they knew and when the audience that had the greatest power of all demanded to see us back on the platform, it was late.

We came back with a renewed energy and together – I think that was the only time we ever amalgamated effort – and decided that this would never happen again in our histroy.

Half of them have gone broke. Seriously, check the history. They have fallen on the road side. Of the pioneer members of Nollywood, I promise you that 90% are doing far better than all of them put together.

A lesson we should all learn in life; appreciate what you have and treat it good. Treat the source of your income well, the universe will respond in kind and give a returns that is worthy.

http://kikiotolu.com/jim-iyke-most-nollywood-marketers-who-banned-g8-actors-in-2004-have-gone-broke/

Lalasticlala Mynd44 Dominique Fynestboi Ishilove

Re: Jim Iyke: Most Nollywood Marketers Who Banned G8 Actors In 2004 Have Gone Broke by GistmoreNG: 7:04am On Jul 18, 2018
Ok
Re: Jim Iyke: Most Nollywood Marketers Who Banned G8 Actors In 2004 Have Gone Broke by Truths22(m): 7:09am On Jul 18, 2018
Really?
Re: Jim Iyke: Most Nollywood Marketers Who Banned G8 Actors In 2004 Have Gone Broke by eezeribe(m): 7:11am On Jul 18, 2018
OK
Re: Jim Iyke: Most Nollywood Marketers Who Banned G8 Actors In 2004 Have Gone Broke by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 18, 2018
The fact is, I didn't even remember they were banned because I don't think their absence from the movies actually made any impact. I still dey enjoy nollywood movies without them.

Their faces is their only selling point. There are soo many untapped talents that are even better than them.

Make dem Park well.
Re: Jim Iyke: Most Nollywood Marketers Who Banned G8 Actors In 2004 Have Gone Broke by Metuh: 7:23am On Jul 18, 2018
iAudio:
The fact is, I didn't even remember they were banned because their absence from the movies did make any impact. I still dey enjoy nollywood movies without them.

Make dem Park well.
Read, you wont read.

Lazy Nigerian youth.
Re: Jim Iyke: Most Nollywood Marketers Who Banned G8 Actors In 2004 Have Gone Broke by Nobody: 7:25am On Jul 18, 2018
grin grin grin angry angry angry
Metuh:

Read, you wont read.

Lazy Nigerian youth.
Re: Jim Iyke: Most Nollywood Marketers Who Banned G8 Actors In 2004 Have Gone Broke by thesicilian: 7:26am On Jul 18, 2018
iAudio:
The fact is, I didn't even remember they were banned because their absence from the movies did not make any impact. I still dey enjoy nollywood movies without them.

Their faces is their only selling point. There are soo many untapped talents that are even better than them.

Make dem Park well.
That's not true. Movies were much better then

(1) (Reply)

Tonto Dikeh Becomes Ambassador For The 2018 African Freestyle Football Champions / Linda Ikeji Shares Amazing Pictures Of Her Son-(photo) / Vincent Kompany’s Father Becomes Belgium’s First Ever Black Mayor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.