Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,923 members, 7,952,712 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:09 PM

How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) - Technology Market (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) (1926 Views)

What Makes Scam A Big Issue In Nigeria And How To Prevent It / Crypto Startup Argent Wants To Put An End To Gas Fees With Layer 2 Wallet / Does Anyone Have A Working VHS Player For Sale? Update! I got one (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) by IAmSkinny: 10:33am On Jul 19, 2018
litaninja:
As in, the matter just tire me....as the guy just start Mr a...Mr b....blah bkah bla...I was thinking...dude, put up an escrow already....
Baba dey talk story

At least the Bushmen from Namibia understand my bla bla bla story perfectly. Remember, some people ain't as tech savvy as you are.
Why don't you break down the workability of this escrow system for the average trader in Ontisha to follow? Who knows?
Re: How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) by calddon(m): 10:39am On Jul 19, 2018
IAmSkinny:

I am not marketing myself sir. Seems you refused to read the thread in depth, you chose to hammer on the part that confirms your skepticism. I volunteered to be the "Mr. C" if ever the plan is put into motion in order to test its workability. Here on this thread, there is another volunteer with a physical office in Ikotun.

I refuse to believe the whole advantage of this system is tipped towards the buyer. Everything is 50-50, the seller may decide to call-off the deal too since the money is with neither of them. If the buyer refuses to let go of the cash, he forfeits his cash (cash with the middle man). Initialize wouldn't have been scammed if they was a middle man. Don't even bring such a scenario here because the deal involved no middle man at all.
Let me break it down using Initialize here as a case study. Initialize wants to sell his goods, say to Obama. He first, Initialize contacts a reliable Middle man here on NL, asks Obama to pay to the middle man (remember he is neutral and incorruptible). When the middle man confirms the payment from Obama, Initialize then ships the goods to Obama. Obama receives the goods and verifies everything is Ok. The middle man now forwards the cash to Initialize and everyone goes home smiling.
nairaland is also a sales forum and that's why every board here has its own unique market.

i know what escrow is

visit international currency thread, escrows regularly used

your getting it mixed up. Escrow is safest bro, just saying ur initial analysis is one sided, sellers feel the heat from scammers too so it should be for both the buyer and the seller cos like u said above its a 50-50 experience. cry
Re: How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) by IAmSkinny: 10:41am On Jul 19, 2018
dragnet:

Nairaland isn't an ecommerce website, do you blame the landlord of a mall for a bad transaction in one of the rented shops?
Nairaland was designed to accommodate buying-and-seling, little wonder why every board here has its own unique market place.
You created the market so why don't you help us set up a system that eradicates fraud entirely?
At least I tried a little with this my idea.

1 Like

Re: How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) by IAmSkinny: 10:44am On Jul 19, 2018
calddon:

i know what escrow is

visit international currency thread, escrows regularly used

your getting it mixed up. Escrow is safest bro, just saying ur initial analysis is one sided, sellers feel the heat from scammers too so it should be for both the buyer and the seller cos like u said above its a
50-50 experience. cry
I really don't know how this escrow of a thing works. How does it work? How will it help reduce fraud here on NL?
Re: How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) by calddon(m): 10:47am On Jul 19, 2018
IAmSkinny:

Yes, the system still looks "somehow" you know.
But we can use review and rating system to flag people that sell such phones. We rate them poorly that will make people avoid them entirely.
Maybe a token say 2-5huns per deal

i picked something from here(the bold),a rating system integrated into the forum could also help buyers or newbies identify old and trust worthy members base on the user activity just as seen on Forums like XDA dev, however like i said i think NL is designed to be a simple public forum.
Re: How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) by calddon(m): 10:50am On Jul 19, 2018
IAmSkinny:

I really don't know how this escrow of a thing works. How does it work? How will it help reduce fraud here on NL?
Remember your Mr A, B n C mathematics? .. that is how it works. Smart buyers on NL already use escrows bro cheesy
Re: How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) by dragnet: 10:58am On Jul 19, 2018
Stormyweather:
agreed it isn’t an ecommerce but I should think the landlord will put in efforts if the bad eggs are the ones who rented his shop else he starts to lose people.
Remember if there are no customers due to several negative reviews, there will eventually be no one to rent the shop.
Myopically this is ok but for far sight it’s bad for nairaland.
You really don't understand, if the bad vendor doesn't get patronage and leaves the shop would be taken up by another vendor. Meanwhile the landlord's premise has other aspects of businesses which are independent of the shop, worst case scenario he converts that shop to some other use.
The shop was just an extra.
Re: How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) by dragnet: 11:01am On Jul 19, 2018
IAmSkinny:

Nairaland was designed to accommodate buying-and-seling, little wonder why every board here has its own unique market place.
You created the market so why don't you help us set up a system that eradicates fraud entirely?
At least I tried a little with this my idea.
Nairaland is a forum, take your time to read the disclaimer, even olx and jiji that are classified ads portals don't offer you any protection other than "advices and suggestions", the rest is left to you.
don't get ahead of yourself, you're not the first to have thought of such idea, and it isn't as simple as you think it is. the N200-N500 you claim to want to charge can't even cover expenses, talk of compensation and litigation fees when the need occurs.
Re: How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) by Stormyweather(m): 11:02am On Jul 19, 2018
dragnet:

You really don't understand, if the bad vendor doesn't get patronage and leaves the shop would be taken up by another vendor. Meanwhile the landlord's premise has other aspects of businesses which are independent of the shop, worst case scenario he converts that shop to some other use.
The shop was just an extra.
well...it’s all good sha.
Re: How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) by IAmSkinny: 12:47pm On Jul 19, 2018
dragnet:

Nairaland is a forum, take your time to read the disclaimer, even olx and jiji that are classified ads portals don't offer you any protection other than "advices and suggestions", the rest is left to you.
don't get ahead of yourself, you're not the first to have thought of such idea, and it isn't as simple as you think it is. the N200-N500 you claim to want to charge can't even cover expenses, talk of compensation and litigation fees when the need occurs.
Hmmmmmmm. It's really much more complicated than I thought initially. But wouldn't it be really nice if Seun builds and integrates an escrow system into Nairaland?
Re: How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) by IAmSkinny: 12:48pm On Jul 19, 2018
calddon:

Remember your Mr A, B n C mathematics? .. that is how it works. Smart buyers on NL already use escrows bro cheesy
Hmmmmmmm. Lemme check how it really works.
Re: How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) by litaninja(m): 2:57pm On Jul 19, 2018
The Onitsha trader really wants you to hold his money for him? And charge a percentage of it
lmao

IAmSkinny:

At least the Bushmen from Namibia understand my bla bla bla story perfectly. Remember, some people ain't as tech savvy as you are.
Why don't you break down the workability of this escrow system for the average trader in Ontisha to follow? Who knows?

Re: How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) by davidsthe(m): 11:09pm On Jul 19, 2018
IAmSkinny:

But they are Bush men. That's what they call them (don't think it's a derogatory term). What about hill bellies and cave men? Are these derogatory terms too?

The term bush men is not the same as bushmen after Dutch Boschjesmens which I think is a language or identity. K
Re: How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) by henrixx(m): 6:58am On Jul 20, 2018
Mr OP running an escrow is a hectic thing. if it was easy as you said olx n jiji could have done it easily. although it's good but there is a big BUT.

SECONDLY nairaland is just a forum...they have made efforts to avoid scams. like exposing scammers, banning suspicious account, even disclaimers.

LASTLY, suggesting yourself as a 3rd party trust is not legit. if you wanna be an escrow agent. get your business ready, go to cac do the needful, open a website and a physical presence. people may consider you.
Re: How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) by aril: 9:43am On Jul 20, 2018
henrixx:
Mr OP running an escrow is a hectic thing. if it was easy as you said olx n jiji could have done it easily. although it's good but there is a big BUT.

SECONDLY nairaland is just a forum...they have made efforts to avoid scams. like exposing scammers, banning suspicious account, even disclaimers.

LASTLY, suggesting yourself as a 3rd party trust is not legit. if you wanna be an escrow agent. get your business ready, go to cac do the needful, open a website and a physical presence. people may consider you.

Good point..
Re: How To Put An End To nairaland's Cash/Product Scam (A Working Proposal) by IAmSkinny: 2:19pm On Jul 20, 2018
henrixx:

Good points, especially the last point you came up.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Iphone 6 64gb. / SOLD! Samsung Galaxy S8 / Open Box Brand New OLLA M5 Phone For 15k With OS 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.