Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,303 members, 7,836,318 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness (15303 Views)

Fear Grips Permanent Secretaries And Directors Over Budget-Padding Probe / Fear Grips Politicians As Buhari Vows To Clean NNPC “mess” / Fayose Begs For Forgiveness. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jun 16, 2010
rabzy:

The issue of the efficacy of Juju is hard to establish. I have heard tales from personal family members (am from esan, Edo state), my father told me of how his former landlady when he was still a bachelor once came to his room (here in Lagos) in a dream and beat him with canes and when he woke he saw marks on him, he went to warn the Lady that he did not from such acts in Edo, and that there is no way she can succeed here in Lagos. In Public Secondary schools here in Lagos, a lot is said about boys fighting with Jazz and enough eye-witness account, i have a friend in the my office here, who said he had once seen a guy conjure a cutlass from thin air during an inter-school football clash. Its hard to just say all these things are stories.

@Richyblack, you said in an earlier post that humans are not supernatural beigns and therefore cannot do supernatural juju, as a professed christian,
checkout this supernatural human killing himself
what would you say about the magic-conjurers of Egypt who were able to duplicate the first 3 plagues of Moses, of note is the Biblical fact that said, they conjured up frogs also, but they could not duplicate the other plaques because God prevented it,

what about the servant girl that was following Paul and Barnabas, who used to foretell events accurately b4 she was cured of the Demon plaqueing her,
The Bible condemned several spiristitic practices, e.g Foretune -telling, casting of spells on people, inquiring of the dead (Saul and the witch of endor), the new testament talked about a couple of people who performed supernatural acts with demonic powers e.g Simon. So can a Christian say he doesn't believe in usage of demonic powers to perform supernatural deeds, when the Bible is replete with people who did.

For those who say why are they not always 'true for all values' as we say in mathematics, we could consider that these are spirit beings with their own interest in the matter and they could choose to do what-ever they like as they deem fit, either to answer the conjurer or not, they are not chemicals that would always lose or gain an elctron 'under standard temperature and pressure'.

If someone slaps me and i turn the other cheek, it does not mean tomorrow if he does again or if someone else does i would not put a well-placed uppercut under his chin,

As for the Benin expedition, there are stories that there were traitors who spoilt the juju or sold out the Benins, more more the British comprise a lot of Africans from neighboring tribes who were pretty Jazzed up themselves, so could it be that Jazz cancell Jazz?,

For me i don't believe most of these stories but i don't think we have been in fear by mere TALES alone for all these Centuries, there is definitely credence to many of them,

For those who think Africa has been held behind by the fear of Juju, yes but that is besides it, South Korea, Japan, India, China, Aztecs has been venerating Idols for centuries and they are still developing, ancient Rome, Greece, Egypt achieved feats that we found daunting and call ancient wonders, but they were all heathens/pagans/human-sacrificing societies.

If Nigeria is to develop the fear of Juju is not a Hindrance, its just a Nuisance in the process.

Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by adconline(m): 11:05pm On Jun 16, 2010
In 21st century, Nigeria is still relying on superstitions and spirits to solver her national problems created by politicians. Just reminds me of how Obj blamed power failure on evil spirit.  No wonder philosopher, Soren Kierkegaard says that it takes a leap of faith to believe  these parodoxies.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by netotse(m): 11:23pm On Jun 16, 2010
non-Edo people just wont get, the way they relate to their culture is different from how we relate to ours.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by kobikwelu(m): 11:23pm On Jun 16, 2010
In 21st century, Nigeria is still relying on superstitions and spirits to solver her national problems created by politicians. Just reminds me of how Obj blamed power failure on evil spirit.  No wonder philosopher, Soren Kierkegaard says that it takes a leap of faith to believe  these parodoxies.

dey dia dey blow big big grammer,
as far as it works, hey those guys should keep it up,

or do u have  a berra idea??

before you start, dont dream of mentioning the government or police,

now am listening tongue tongue tongue
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by adconline(m): 12:28am On Jun 17, 2010
as far as it works, hey those guys should keep it up

It's works in your little mind, but does not work in real world. Got it?

Benin Kingdom known for all these silly beliefs was captured by the Europeans that their king was forced into exile, so what did not work during that time is not going to work now. There is a historical fact that it never worked.
Keep dreaming. For your information could you tell me any nation on this earth that has tackled insecurity with juju and voodoo?
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by PapaBrowne(m): 4:18am On Jun 17, 2010
Speculation is rife that many American and British Police Departments engage psychic detectives to help solve crime cases.
Now, while I am not in support of the use of such tactics, I'll advise all those calling Nigeria backward for the action of the Oba to type the word [b]"Psychic Detectives" [/b]in google. When you are through, you'd would find that such supernatural applications to crime solving are also supposedly used in the most advanced countries!
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by snowdrops(m): 7:49am On Jun 17, 2010
kobikwelu:

as far as it works, hey those guys should keep it up,

or do u have  a berra idea??

before you start, dont dream of mentioning the government or police,

now am listening tongue tongue tongue

One of the best post so far lol
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Ranoscky(m): 7:59am On Jun 17, 2010
very bored topic, can u believe that i just slept for some few munites over this topic? undecided

Abeg juju or no juju make una leave dem like dat na, i no also believ d juju of a tin but all man with'em own abeg sad
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Nobody: 8:33am On Jun 17, 2010
Ranoscky:

very bored topic, can u believe that i just slept for some few munites over this topic? undecided

Abeg juju or no juju make una leave dem like dat na, i no also believ d juju of a tin but all man with'em own abeg sad
it's no longer a benin matter because virtually all search engine must have picked this topic and i just keep wondering how weird it will look like to non-nigerians.it's kinda embarrassing fighting with 'curses'.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by RichyBlacK(m): 9:32am On Jun 17, 2010
rabzy:

The issue of the efficacy of Juju is hard to establish. I have heard tales from personal family members (am from esan, Edo state), my father told me of how his former landlady when he was still a bachelor once came to his room (here in Lagos) in a dream and beat him with canes and when he woke he saw marks on him, he went to warn the Lady that he did not from such acts in Edo, and that there is no way she can succeed here in Lagos. In Public Secondary schools here in Lagos, a lot is said about boys fighting with Jazz and enough eye-witness account, i have a friend in the my office here, who said he had once seen a guy conjure a cutlass from thin air during an inter-school football clash. Its hard to just say all these things are stories.

@Richyblack, you said in an earlier post that humans are not supernatural beigns and therefore cannot do supernatural juju, as a professed christian,

what would you say about the magic-conjurers of Egypt who were able to duplicate the first 3 plagues of Moses, of note is the Biblical fact that said, they conjured up frogs also, but they could not duplicate the other plaques because God prevented it,

what about the servant girl that was following Paul and Barnabas, who used to foretell events accurately b4 she was cured of the Demon plaqueing her,
The Bible condemned several spiristitic  practices, e.g Foretune -telling, casting of spells on people, inquiring of the dead (Saul and the witch of endor), the new testament talked about a couple of people who performed supernatural acts with demonic powers e.g Simon. So can a Christian say he doesn't believe in usage of demonic powers to perform supernatural deeds, when the Bible is replete with people who did.

For those who say why are they not always 'true for all values' as we say in mathematics, we could consider that these are spirit beings with their own interest in the matter and they could choose to do what-ever they like as they deem fit, either to answer the conjurer  or not, they are not chemicals that would always lose or gain an elctron 'under standard temperature and pressure'.

If someone slaps me and i turn the other cheek, it does not mean tomorrow if he does again or if someone else does i would not put a well-placed uppercut under his chin,

As for the Benin expedition, there are stories that there were traitors who spoilt the juju or sold out the Benins, more more the British comprise a lot of Africans from neighboring tribes who were pretty Jazzed up themselves, so could it be that Jazz cancell Jazz?,

For me i don't believe most of these stories but i don't think we have been in fear by mere TALES alone for all these Centuries, there is definitely credence to many of them,

For those who think Africa has been held behind by the fear of Juju, yes but that is besides it, South Korea, Japan, India, China, Aztecs has been venerating Idols for centuries and they are still developing, ancient Rome, Greece, Egypt achieved feats that we found daunting and call ancient wonders, but they were all heathens/pagans/human-sacrificing societies.

If Nigeria is to develop the fear of Juju is not a Hindrance, its just a Nuisance in the process.

Thanks I enjoyed reading this piece, especially:

There are three types of laws that apply to humans:

1. Laws by  State: Can be violated, but if caught by the state the violator is punished within the reality of our existence, i.e. in this world.

2. Laws by Religion: Can be violated, but violators are ultimately punished outside the reality of our existence, i.e., outside this world. However, some claim that punishment can be in this world too, this is sometimes referred to as "karma".

3. Laws of the Universe: Inviolable by humans, hence the issue of punishment is redundant. Humans can only work within the unbiased but rigid framework of these laws. The objective of the physical sciences today is to understand these laws, after thousands of years of failed attempts at violating them, e.g., alchemy and astrology have given way to chemistry and astronomy. The so-called advanced societies of today are developed because they've invested a lot of time and money in better understanding these laws and applying them to their societies.

In Nigeria, the laws by state are ineffectively enforced, hence the high crime rate and extremely high levels of corruption. The laws by religion cannot be relied on to control human societies because punishments are typically meted outside of the known physical world. Also, the poor educational infrastructure and lack of political will has made it impossible to apply man's present knowledge (aka advanced technology) of the laws of the universe to fight crime. For example, in the UK, US, Canada, etc. technologies like the following are used in fighting crime:

1. CCTVs
2. Human fingerprinting
3. Ballistic fingerprinting
4. Special weapons and tactics (aka SWAT - guns, other weapons, explosives and tactics needed to fight crime)
5. DNA profiling
6. Crime scene reconstruction
7. Forensic pathology
8. Forensic toxicology
9. Forensic engineering
10. Computer forensics
11. Forensic entomology (using insects to fight crime)
12. Forensic anthropology
13. Forensic psychology
14. Aerial surveillance (including use of UAVs - unmanned aerial vehicles)
15. Satellite surveillance (wide area surveillance)
16. Fire science/investigation
17. Forensic dentistry
18. Computer databases and networks (to store and link digital files - documents, pictures, audio and video files across police departments)
19. Data encryption (using strong encryption standards e.g. AES-256 to secure the data on criminals, crimes and forensic results)
20. Training and vehicles (excellent training using the best instructors and good vehicles will go a long way)

The problem in Nigeria is that instead of the useless and pathetically ineffective government to surprise observers and invest in fighting crime, many of them still live under the delusion that the laws of the universe can be violated by "cooking your body", which is basically entering a huge pot (typically black and made of cast-iron) of rotting leaves, decaying human organs, lots of urine from a virgin hippopotamus, excreta from a lion and blood from a murdered 7-year old girl with hump back, will protect them against high-velocity projectiles from an M1 carbine. Some are tired of the charade and actually wear bullet-proof vests and drive in bullet-proof cars, however, even these ones can't help themselves because they still go to the juju conmen priests to give them "protection" from guns. Indeed, too many idiots are politicians in Nigeria.

With a significant proportion of the Nigerian populace still trying to turn copper to gold by mere incantations (alchemists tried everything under the sun for over two thousand years and failed), nobody should expect any significant investment in any of the twenty crime-fighting technologies I listed above.

Thank you and God bless you.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by adconline(m): 3:03pm On Jun 17, 2010
Your best post for nation that has refused work? Why dont U let juju do things i.e write your posts ,do your laundry, run errands etc?
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by snowdrops(m): 8:09am On Jun 18, 2010
the government employed the services of more police officers, even invited the army, used various clogans ie operation thunderstorm, fire for fire, etc. but crime increased in direct proportion to the extra government efforts.

a curse which is only a verbal pronunciation brought about within days criminals begging for forgiveness. that does not mean the police or government has retired or gone to sleep.

people are unhappy because they want the status quo to continue ie rampaging criminals in the state. after all most of the most vocal guys here live abroad or in other states where they don't have to sleep with one eye open.

shame on all of you.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Ranoscky(m): 8:18am On Jun 18, 2010
^^^All of u ke? shocked. . .I'm included? undecided
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by SapeleGuy: 2:14pm On Jun 18, 2010
~Bluetooth:

it's no longer a benin matter because virtually all search engine must have picked this topic and i just keep wondering how weird it will look like to non-nigerians.it's kinda embarrassing fighting with 'curses'.

E be like say dem don spoil market for una for Benin!

There are curses in all religions worldwide including christianity, it is the opposite of a blessing.

adconline:

Benin Kingdom known for all these silly beliefs was captured by the Europeans that their king was forced into exile, so what did not work during that time is not going to work now. There is a historical fact that it never worked.

I guess this your theory can be applied to christianity, afterall Jesus was crucified.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jun 18, 2010
What concerned with benin is that benin is part of nigeria.are you ok now ?
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Cohomology: 4:16pm On Jun 18, 2010
SapeleGuy:

I guess this your theory can be applied to christianity, afterall Jesus was crucified.

Very ignorant statement from a novice in Christian teachings. Trying to insult Christ by comparing Him to a mere mortal like the Oba of Benin is foolhardy and infantile.

According to Christian teachings:
1. Christ never resisted or attempted to fight his transgressors.
2. He even spoke against one of his disciples who used his sword to attack a Roman soldier in a clumsy bid to protest the messiah.
3. The entire plan of Christ's coming to earth was to die for humanity's salvation.
4. His death was not the result of a failed bid to save His life, but from a deliberate move to offer humanity a path to salvation.
5. The culmination of all His sojourn on earth was His resurrection.

Contrast:
1. The Oba of Benin not only resisted but instigated the attack on Benin by his savage murder in cold blood of the Acting Consul-General Phillips and most of his fellow travelers to Benin.

2. Human sacrifice (a despicable and worthless act of ritual murder which has zero effect apart from the death of an innocent) was part of the so-called fortification used to "protect" Benin against the impending British invasion caused by the poor judgment of Oba Ovonramwen's action of coldblooded murder.

3. The entire machinery of Benin was put into protecting the city, the palace and ultimately the Oba from harm. His capture was not the result of an act of surrender so as to save the city from attack. No. His forces failed to protect the city from a determined British fighting force.

4. His survival of the attack was only because the British, though with flaws, had a level of civility that ensured the Oba was not summarily executed. One could imagine that if the positions were reversed, the British soldiers would have been savagely executed by the Benin warriors, and their bodies probably used to prepare some useless concoction called juju.

5. His exile to Calabar  was not path of any grand plan by him but a continuation of British civility as opposed to savage acts like ritual murder or cannibalism.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by RichyBlacK(m): 4:21pm On Jun 18, 2010
adconline:

Your best post for nation that has refused work? Why dont U let juju do things i.e write your posts ,do your laundry, run errands etc?

@adconline,

Thank you very much. We need to let Nigerians know that claims made by juju proponents are fraudulent moves to extort money, garner unmerited praise or intimidate others.

God bless.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by RichyBlacK(m): 4:21pm On Jun 18, 2010
Cohomology:

Very ignorant statement from a novice in Christian teachings. Trying to insult Christ by comparing Him to a mere mortal like the Oba of Benin is foolhardy and infantile.

According to Christian teachings:
1. Christ never resisted or attempted to fight his transgressors.
2. He even spoke against one of his disciples who used his sword to attack a Roman soldier in a clumsy bid to protest the messiah.
3. The entire plan of Christ's coming to earth was to die for humanity's salvation.
4. His death was not the result of a failed bit to save His life, but from a deliberate move to offer humanity a path to salvation.
5. The culmination of all His sojourn on earth was His resurrection.

Contrast:
1. The Oba of Benin not only resisted but instigated the attack on Benin by his savage murder in cold blood of the Acting Consul-General Phillips and most of his fellow travelers to Benin.

2. Human sacrifice (a despicable and worthless act of ritual murder which has zero effect apart from the death of an innocent) was part of the so-called fortification used to "protect" Benin against the impending British invasion caused by the poor judgment of Oba Ovonramwen's action of coldblooded murder.

3. The entire machinery of Benin was put into protecting the city, the palace and ultimately the Oba from harm. His capture was not the result of an act of surrender so as to save the city from attack. No. His forces failed to protect the city from a determined British fighting force.

4. His survival of the attack was only because the British, though with flaws, had a level of civility that ensured the Oba was not summarily executed. One could imagine that if the positions were reversed, the British soldiers would have been savagely executed by the Benin warriors, and their bodies probably used to prepare some useless concoction called juju.

5. His exile to Calabar  was not path of any grand plan by him but a continuation of British civility as opposed to savage acts like ritual murder or cannibalism.

Perfect response!
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by RichyBlacK(m): 4:25pm On Jun 18, 2010
SapeleGuy:

E be like say dem don spoil market for una for Benin!

There are curses in all religions worldwide including christianity, it is the opposite of a blessing.

@SapeleGuy,

Interesting. But Jesus' entire plan was to die for humanity. I really don't see the sense you're making.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by RichyBlacK(m): 4:33pm On Jun 18, 2010
snowdrops:

the government employed the services of more police officers, even invited the army, used various clogans ie operation thunderstorm, fire for fire, etc. but crime increased in direct proportion to the extra government efforts.

a curse which is only a verbal pronunciation brought about within days criminals begging for forgiveness. that does not mean the police  or government has retired or gone to sleep.

people are unhappy because they want the status quo to continue ie rampaging criminals in the state. after all most of the most vocal guys here live abroad or in other states where they don't have to sleep with one eye open.

shame on all of you.

Yes, I agree with you that the laws by state are ineffectively enforced hence the high crime rate in Benin. We're on the same page on that. Also, I'm happy that we're seeing some positive results from the Oba's recent actions.

My issue with the "cursing program" is that it may lead some to believe that those curses have some supernatural effect on any human, which of course is impossible.

Those curses are psychological gimmicks at best and those robbers are responding because of their submersion in a culture that deifies the Oba of Benin. Such a deification is dangerous for society because it is likely to lead to worse problems than the problem it's trying to solve.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by softgirl1: 5:14pm On Jun 18, 2010
May God help Edo state wat are dey afraid of they have being kiling and they don't want to die can u just emagin,
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Ranoscky(m): 5:37pm On Jun 18, 2010
Make i ask again, why una dey drink panadol for the Oba headache? undecided make una leavam na ah ah? sad

east sef dey boil now with kidnaping, had it been dis Oba no come up with this idea i sure say una go dey blame

doz kidnper's, but bini Oba came up with his own idea to stop the crime in "his state" and u guys kept drinking

unneccessary panadol for his headache. Nna mehn, una own strong O. . .
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Cohomology: 5:51pm On Jun 18, 2010
Ranoscky:

Make i ask again, why una dey drink panadol for the Oba headache?  undecided make una leavam na ah ah?  sad

east sef dey boil now with kidnaping, had it been dis Oba no come up with this idea i sure say una go dey blame

doz kidnper's, but bini Oba came up with his own idea to stop the crime in "his state" and u guys kept drinking

unneccessary panadol for his headache. Nna mehn, una own strong O. . .

Ol boy, you talk true dia. Oba don do wetin im like.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by SapeleGuy: 6:22pm On Jun 18, 2010
RichyBlacK:

@SapeleGuy,

Interesting. But Jesus' entire plan was to die for humanity. I really don't see the sense you're making.

This all depends on your understanding of whether christianity is syncretic and if you think the bible is a historical or an allegorical account.

Your theory begs other questions, should the Jews have abandoned their religion because of the holocaust?
Were the actions of Hitler representative of all christians?
Should the Binis abandon their religion and beliefs because of the invasion?
Hindus also suffered the same fate should they also abandon their religion?

We must refrain from double standards and respect the rights of others and promote religious tolerance.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by TMemos: 6:25pm On Jun 18, 2010
Quote from: adconline on Yesterday at 12:28:47 AM

Didn't the Satan through the serpent lead to the fall of Adam?
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by RichyBlacK(m): 3:04pm On Jun 20, 2010
SapeleGuy:

This all depends on your understanding of whether christianity is syncretic and if you think the bible is a historical or an allegorical account.

Your theory begs other questions, should the Jews have abandoned their religion because of the holocaust?
Were the actions of Hitler representative of all christians?
Should the Binis abandon their religion and beliefs because of the invasion?
Hindus also suffered the same fate should they also abandon their religion?

We must refrain from double standards and respect the rights of others and promote religious tolerance.

@SapeleGuy,

I don't think your analogies apply here.

I don't consider juju a religion but only an aspect of some African traditional religions. However, for the sake of simplicity and because you've assumed it to be so by your analogies, I will consider juju a religion.

Consider the three major monotheistic religions (Christianity, Islam and Judaism) and other popular religions like Buddhism, Hinduism, Shintoism, Jainism, Zoroastrianism, Confucianism, etc. The common denominator in all these religions is faith. See definition below from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/faith.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/faith:

faith  (fth)
n.
1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See Synonyms at belief, trust.
3. Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.
4. often Faith Christianity The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.
5. The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.
6. A set of principles or beliefs.

You mentioned the Holocaust. Well, long before the Holocaust, the Jewish people have suffered at the hands of the Egyptians, the Babylonians and the Romans. These sufferings did not make them abandon their religion because it is based on faith.

During the Biafran War and the Rwandan Genocide, Christians were parked in churches, shot at, hacked with matchets and then the churches set ablaze. Neither the Igbos nor Tutsis have abandoned Christianity.

During the Crusades by European monarchs to reclaim Jerusalem a thousand years ago, thousands of Muslims were killed by European knights. In the famous Battle of Tours (732 AD), 12,000 Muslim soldiers fell. In the many wars between Israel and some Arab states, Muslim soldiers have been killed. In the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan (1979), over 200,000 Muslims were killed. US invasion of Iraq? Hopefully, you get my drift.

Members of a religious faith do not abandon their religion because some members of that religion died at the hands of others who do not share the same faith. The reason is that these religions are based on faith and not on psychological intimidation in the form of claims that cannot be reconciled with the laws of the universe.

It is only juju (and other similar "religions"wink that is based on claims that are completely outlandish:

1. The juju way dey Oba palace fit do anything. [Really?]
2. The Oba fit stop rain and even make rain fall anytime im like.
3. The wall of the Oba palace, nobody fit jump enter am because the juju way dey dia no gree.
4. If you shoot the Oba with gun e no fit do am anything.
5. If the Oba curse you (you don't have to be a thief in this case) e go catch you one time!

The difference between the religions I listed earlier (Christianity, Islam, etc.) and juju, is that those religions are not based on such ludicrous claims as above, but are based on faith. Ask a Nigerian his/her view of juju and all they can say is that it can be used to do this or to do that. Hardly any Nigerian views juju in the context of faith, rather it is viewed as something so powerful that anything can be done with it. This preposterous view of juju is why the events of February 1897 becomes relevant - the British attacked, captured Benin, arrested the Oba, looted the palace, burnt it down and exiled the Oba to Calabar. How was it possible that the British could do this with all the claims proponents of the juju theory advance everyday?

Of course there are many more accounts of how juju claims have been rubbished, e.g. the Okija Shrine. This place was dreaded by so many people and all manner of claims were made about the power of the place and the dibias in there. Well, the police raided the place and slapped those fraudsters called priests into trusty "Black Maria" vans that sent them to jail. What happened? Of course nothing. All those claims are lies and there is absolutely zero efficacy in any juju in Okija Shrine. All that is there is the stench of decomposing human corpses placed in strategic places and in well considered positions to strike fear in the heart of the ordinary person. These psychological gimmicks that are based on gruesomeness and macabre showcasing of human parts, organs or corpses is the most potent ingredient in this orchestra of fraud.

Every single juju claim that falls outside of the laws of our universe is fraudulent, every single one of them.

It is sad that a good proportion of Nigerians still hang on to these fraudulent claims in the name of cultural identity. This kind of shameless stubbornness was what made it difficult to stop the killing of twins and their mothers in some parts of Nigeria. It was the same stubborn adherence to barbarism that made it difficult to suppress human sacrifice in many parts of Nigeria. It is what made it difficult for many Nigerians to embrace modern medicine instead of accusing non-existent witches of the death of any of their loved ones. It is part of what is holding Nigeria back.

I look forward to the day that the overwhelming majority of Nigerians will dismiss juju claims as the fraud they truly are.

Thank you.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by netotse(m): 3:20pm On Jun 20, 2010
RichyBlacK:

I look forward to the day that the overwhelming majority of Nigerians will dismiss juju claims as the fraud they truly are.

Thank you.

be prepared to look for a long time. . .lol
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by redsun(m): 3:46pm On Jun 20, 2010
Ricky,since you are a christian and you think christianity is in anyway different from juju practices,does walking on water literally by jesus make sense to you as a rational mind,as well the literal pathing of the red sea by moses?
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by RichyBlacK(m): 4:12pm On Jun 20, 2010
netotse:

be prepared to look for a long time. . .lol

Unfortunately.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by RichyBlacK(m): 4:30pm On Jun 20, 2010
redsun:

Ricky,since you are a christian and you think christianity is in anyway different from juju practices,does walking on water literally by jesus make sense to you as a rational mind,as well the literal pathing of the red sea by moses?

Of course Christianity is different from juju.

For example, Christians do not make ludicrous claims like "if you read Psalm 119 finish, if dem shoot your gun the bullet no go enter".

Even the Pope, the Vicar of Christ, acknowledges the physical fact of the enormous kinetic energy in a 200g bullet traveling at the speed of sound and drives in a Pope Mobile - a custom-made bulletproof vehicle. Especially after Mehmet Ali Ağca's May 13, 1981 attempted assassination of the Pope.

As regards stories in the Bible, as a Christian, I believe them by faith. See definition of faith in my previous post.

Thank you.

[img]http://www.dailypictures.info/free-pictures/5778/The-Pope-Mobile-jpg[/img]
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Ranoscky(m): 4:41pm On Jun 20, 2010
Ah ah shocked shocked shocked Omo this bini mata strong oo shocked e don reach pope level? shocked. .Na wa O!

*The Oba sef wey dem dey drink panadol 4 'em headache no knwo say dem dey exist O can u imagen undecided*
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by SapeleGuy: 4:53pm On Jun 20, 2010
Richyblack, the term juju as far as I am concerned is and always was intended as an insult to Africa and its religions. Since we are in agreement that juju is not a religion, perhaps we should have corrected the opening poster on this misnomer.

What you have gone on to list here is sensationalist and in hindsight more appropriate to the Okija or the long juju shrine in Arochukwu. Do some research on the Arousa Cathedral in the Ancient city of Benin.

Born again variants of Christianity have 419 pastors, sexual predators and other miscreants as ambassadors. They perform dodgy 'miracles' in football stadia, collect tithes by the millions and engage in all sorts of rituals in the name of deliverance and miracles, why have you not deemed it fit to criticise them.

Another thing that we will agree on is that we fight not against flesh and blood but powers and principalities. The Oba recognises this and has taken appropriate action.  It is ironic that not even the leader of your church has faulted the action of the Oba, could it be that in their quest for tithes, they are no longer interested in doing the right thing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari Fixing Wrong People In Strategic Positions – Dino Melaye / BREAKING: Factional PDP Emerges In Kwara, Fields Candidates For Election _ / Okeke-Led APGA Dismisses Court Ruling On Soludo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.