Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,466 members, 7,954,821 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:13 AM

Moral Problems (questions) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Moral Problems (questions) (2641 Views)

Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? / Will It Be Moral To Make Clones For Organ Harvesting? / Does The Moral Law(10 commandments) Remain Against The Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moral Problems (questions) by johnydon22(m): 2:07pm On Jul 20, 2018
LucemFerre:

TF is wrong with you? How is it the right thing to do?

I think he is considering number of lives in his conception of good

Sacrifice 1 to save 5
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by johnydon22(m): 2:10pm On Jul 20, 2018
TheConfuser:

Okay my brother.

Yes. Like the Good samaritan of the Bible I will save that child.

Confusing, Ha cheesy cheesy. Ecclesiastes 1:8 says that there is a time for everything, and I am sure the man has enough time to spare after he saves the childs life. Besides, the new treatment for malaria, ACTs, cost 2-2.5 dollars for an adults dosage
Great.

The question actually is: Are you morally obligated to?

I would push the train track lever and direct the train to the side where one man is working, then I would run as fast as I can to move the man away bro.
It's a thought experiment, you can't run to the save the other. It's either 1 or the other

If I have the time to push a fat man who would offer resistance to my murder attempt, then I also have the time to do something else, so No. I would throw a rock at the five men so that they notice me, and when I point the train to them they would get out.

About the two train scenarios, after saving them, I would make a complaint with the subway company to ban the use of sound blockers on tracks still in use, and wouldn't the men feel the train vibrations as it was coming?

It's thought experiment so the assumption that the fat man would resist is inexistent.

So?
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by johnydon22(m): 2:11pm On Jul 20, 2018
tartar9:

grin grin grin
You remind me of that my friend in primary school that sets his own questions in an exam when he can't answer the ones given.

Lmao asin eeeh
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by johnydon22(m): 2:12pm On Jul 20, 2018
Image123:
What is the value of morality without spirituality? Who determines what is moral or not? Therein lies the answers to your question.

Explain?
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by johnydon22(m): 2:14pm On Jul 20, 2018
CoolUsername:
1a. The man is morally obligated to save the child since he'll only lose his suit and no damage would be done to him.

1b. The man isn't morally obligated to take care of a foreign child's problems. The society should have systems in place to avoid casualties from treatable illness, you cannot save everyone.

These two scenarios present similar circumstances only distance is the difference.

Curious how our morality wanes with distance?

2a. I would probably redirect the train to the side where one man is working. Although, I won't fault anyone for whatever decision he/she makes.

2b. I wouldn't push the fat man into the track. Can't really put my reason into words, but it just seems more... homicidal, maybe?

Aren't the two actions and result for 2a and 2b the same?

How come you choose differently?
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by LucemFerre: 2:45pm On Jul 20, 2018
johnydon22:

I think he is considering number of lives in his conception of good

Sacrifice 1 to save 5

Yea, he shouldn't have said it was the "right" thing to do. He's not in the position to judge who should live and who should die? I think these horrible, inhuman scenarios are more about decision making than about moral judgement.
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by PropertyDeals(f): 3:53pm On Jul 20, 2018
johnydon22:

These two scenarios present similar circumstances only distance is the difference.

50% Off! A rare Opportunity to
Own Christal Villa Queens Court
with C of O Shapati Lekki at N5m
+ Free Deed of Assignment...

For details/Inspection:

NIKE 07064401427
IYKE 08023963432
SAHEED 09066815852
ABIOLA 07036435999

Becoming a Landlord has been made easy .......!
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by festwiz(m): 4:18pm On Jul 20, 2018
johnydon22:

But either way you are not morally obligated to save the child. Yes?

2b is murder even though it achieves same aim as 2a? Isn't 2a murder since an argument can be made that you willfully murdered the lone man working on one side of the track?
Yes.

I knew you'd say that. The only reason I tagged 2b as plain murder is because he was never in harms way. The illustrations I posted depicts the actual "Trolley problem".
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by johnydon22(m): 5:28pm On Jul 20, 2018
LucemFerre:

Yea, he shouldn't have said it was the "right" thing to do. He's not in the position to judge who should live and who should die? I think these horrible, inhuman scenarios are more about decision making than about moral judgement.

Why do you think it is called a moral dilema?
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by johnydon22(m): 5:34pm On Jul 20, 2018
festwiz:

Yes.

I knew you'd say that. The only reason I tagged 2b as plain murder is because he was never in harms way. The illustrations I posted depicts the actual "Trolley problem".

Good point

1 Like

Re: Moral Problems (questions) by Evangkatsoulis: 7:42pm On Jul 20, 2018
tartar9:

Yes,I should direct the train towards the lone worker and push off the fat man;this shouldnt be an option-its the right thing to do.Though,in reality,I most probably wont be emotionally strong enough to do so-given the very limited time available to make such a decision
,more especially for 2b.
Many will choose saving the five in 2 but object to 2b when in actuality they are both exactly the same act-this depicts how strongly emotions directs our moralilty.Its kinda the same way,for example,a man who manufactures a poison to achieve an aim of killing a thousand people will be seen as less a monster than his accomplice who actually administers it to the targets.

So if the question were such that you, instead of the fat man, would be the only person capable of stopping the train, would you jump in front of the train?
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by festwiz(m): 9:40pm On Jul 20, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:

So if the question were such that you, instead of the fat man, would be the only person capable of stopping the train, would you jump in front of the train?
This question is not aimed at me but, I'd jump in front of the train. Hey, we'll all die anyway, why not go out in a blaze of glory?? tongue At least I'd be a hero. grin
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by LucemFerre: 10:52pm On Jul 20, 2018
johnydon22:

Why do you think it is called a moral dilema?

It is a dilemma alright. Just not a moral one.
The first and second instances could be classified as moral dilemmas.
One cannot judge morality by choosing either of the other options.
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by johnydon22(m): 9:12am On Jul 21, 2018
LucemFerre:

It is a dilemma alright. Just not a moral one.
The first and second instances could be classified as moral dilemmas.
One cannot judge morality by choosing either of the other options.

Both instances are moral dilemas.

Saving someone is a moral thing. But when saving someone entails sacrificing another, it becomss a dilema
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by LucemFerre: 10:51am On Jul 21, 2018
Okay
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by TheConfuser: 1:30pm On Jul 21, 2018
johnydon22:
Great.

The question actually is: Are you morally obligated to?
Yes.

It's a thought experiment, you can't run to the save the other. It's either 1 or the other

It's thought experiment so the assumption that the fat man would resist is inexistent.

So?
Just because it's a thought experiment doesn't mean my choices are limited. There are more than two solutions to this question.

And aren't you commiting the same fallacy you accuse christians of? Either accept jesus as your lord and saviour or go to hell.
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by CoolUsername: 5:47pm On Jul 21, 2018
johnydon22:

I think evo-psych really comes into play here, the mind is wired to prioritize an emotional response to what is readily in front of us. So yes, while my logical mind may understand that these circumstances are similar, there is no way I would see a child drowning and not try to help.

johnydon22:

Notice something about the two circumstances? The first seems like a spur of the moment decision which involves collateral damage, the second seems calculated.

In the first, both decisions seem reasonably moral, saving five and killing one in the process seems justifiable. Likewise, freezing up because you can't bring yourself to kill someone is also justifiable regardless of the outcome.

Now the second case, you see a fat man and push him down to stop the train is actively killing one to save five, he is not collateral damage. It isn't a spur of the moment decision because you have to be reasonably sure his weight can stop the train, it is cold, calculated murder.

Despite the similar outcomes, the second one requires you to actively override your emotions to make that decision.
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by Image123(m): 4:50pm On Jul 23, 2018
LucemFerre:

Good good, if you did then you'd know spirituality has nothing to do with morality. If anything it makes one obedient, not moral. Get

Lol, it does. Hence it is of no use or value.
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by johnydon22(m): 4:52pm On Jul 23, 2018
Image123:

What is the use of morality?

What is the value of morality?

Can you expatiate on your lack of these terms?
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by Image123(m): 4:57pm On Jul 23, 2018
johnydon22:

Explain?

Without spirituality, there is ultimately no point being moral. Morality itself being subjective.
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by Image123(m): 4:59pm On Jul 23, 2018
johnydon22:

What is the use of morality?

What is the value of morality?

Can you expatiate on your lack of these terms?

i do not have a lack of the terms. Or maybe i do not understand your question very well. Morality is pretty much useless without spirituality.
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by johnydon22(m): 5:11pm On Jul 23, 2018
Image123:

Without spirituality, there is ultimately no point being moral. Morality itself being subjective.
Does morality serve any purpose in a society that is independent of spirituality?
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by MrPresident1: 5:16pm On Jul 23, 2018
Image123:

What is spirituality?
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by MrPresident1: 5:16pm On Jul 23, 2018
johnydon22:
Does morality serve any purpose in a society that is independent of spirituality?

What is spirituality?
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by johnydon22(m): 5:20pm On Jul 23, 2018
MrPresident1:

What is spirituality?
I was hoping someone would tell me
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by Image123(m): 5:33pm On Jul 23, 2018
johnydon22:

Surely it does. Such a society's version of good and bad, right and wrong(morality) would bring some semblance of order. But it will continue to change and 'improve' depending on the set of people that make rules. Ultimately, it is useless. Wow, i see. When i say ultimately, i speak in terms of eternity, life beyond life. As you don't believe that, you'd probably struggle with my pov.
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by Image123(m): 5:34pm On Jul 23, 2018
MrPresident1:

What is spirituality?
Would be nice to see your definition.
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by MrPresident1: 5:46pm On Jul 23, 2018
Ideology swallows ideology; the stronger one swallows the weaker one, and then everyone must conform.

Jesus is the ultimate ideology, when he comes, there will be no more need for subjective morality, no other ideology will be permitted to breathe, talkless of live.

He will rule with a rod of iron.
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by MrPresident1: 5:52pm On Jul 23, 2018
Image123:

Would be nice to see your definition.

Matthew 7:12
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

This is spirituality. Is it subjective?
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by Image123(m): 5:54pm On Jul 23, 2018
MrPresident1:

Matthew 7:12
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

This is spirituality. Is it subjective?

i never said it was, read carefully.
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by MrPresident1: 5:56pm On Jul 23, 2018
Image123:

i never said it was, read carefully.

What is the difference between spirituality and morality?
Re: Moral Problems (questions) by LucemFerre: 9:52pm On Jul 23, 2018
Image123:

How is that funny?
That's divine command theory, not morality. One is not moral simply because one follows some rules that make one appear as such. Think about it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Christians Get In:the Belief In The Holy Trinity Is Fake !! / Book Of Enoch Reveals So Much. It's So Unbelievable! / Giveaway: I Need Ideas!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.