Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,581 members, 7,812,899 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:42 PM

What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? (1186 Views)

Funny Activities Of "Inspired Autos" (Fake Custom Papers And Tint Permit) / Get Ur Tinted Permit In Less Than 2 Days / Tint Permit At friendly price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by KunleA2(m): 7:59am On Jun 14, 2010
It never fails to baffle me why is "tint permit" necessary in Nigeria. We are talking of a hot and humid country where temperatures can be unfriendly in some areas.

Moreso, most newer cars comes with windows tinted  undecided.

On a health standpoint, its very beneficial to be exposed to as little harmful rays and heat as possible.

To add insult to injury, the tint permit have to be renewed or apply for a new one if there is a change of ownership.

How does this add up or make sense still escapes me   

Any way to get this law abolished?
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by Onwan: 12:36pm On Jun 14, 2010
@Kunle-A
I think the tinted permit thing is basically for security reasons; bandicts can get away with a whole lot of things in a vehicle with dark tints, I beleive this is the same overseas - I know I've been pulled over once on Silverside DE, for "Security Identification Purposes" - It was not for the rear tints though.

The tint also helps shield those terrible sun-rays so its worth having, especially when you know what the intense sun can do to your leather interior - especially that dash-top area (the complete assembly starts detatching from the wind-shield, same thing starts happening to the roof padding from the back side too.

There is something confusing though; Im not sure I know about the "renewable" tinted permit, I have for two of my cars and there are no expiries on any of them or any provision for renewal; both straight from Force Headquaters in Abuja and signed duely from the DIG's office. Im not sure of the renewable side of that theory.
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by Fhemmmy: 1:19pm On Jun 14, 2010
I think Onwan have said it all.
In a nation where you dont know who is real and who is a criminal, then, i can understand.
However, a law that is not enforced either cos it was made useless of cos the people in charge are just using it to make money is as good as no law.
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by KunleA2(m): 3:59pm On Jun 14, 2010
@ Onwan,

You are right. however, you can have tint in the front up to a certain darkness and still be in compliant with the law. Why was a permit needed in the first place is my gripe.

Generally, to my knowledge, there are 3 types of tint here in most California tint shops: Light, Medium and Limo Dark.

You can tint the front area either light or medium with no issues. The back can be tinted to any darkness as you wish and you are still ok.

Why it requires a permit or how has a permit of a tint decrease crime in Nigeria is what im left to wonder.

Most robbers will rob you and escape on a motorcycle anyway cos they can get thru traffic faster. grin
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by Onwan: 5:08pm On Jun 14, 2010
@Kunle

The problem is that a lot of Nigerians do not know their rights; Light tints do not attract any illegality especially vehicles that come with the rear wind shield tinted to any level. I have an SUV with only the rear windshield and back sides tinted, the driver and passenger sides are free - a police man once stopped me once in it on Allen and asked me for my permit and I asked him IF he had any difficulties seeing me in the first place. I then explained to him that by law, my side has to be tinted for me to need a permit, also made him understand that I know that because I have the permit for my tinted vehicles.

He was suprised and told me to go. I think when people ask about their rights OR buy copies of the constitution (very cheap) and read, then they can have better communication with those rookies.
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by Onwan: 5:27pm On Jun 14, 2010
And this issue of Renewal, have you ever "renewed" a tint permit? That must be some kind of arrangement and fake because the original one does not require renewal. I know about renewing guns permit for just N1,0000 a year BUT NOT tint permit.

I guess different people have their "sources" of getting things done.
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by KunleA2(m): 6:05pm On Jun 14, 2010
^^i guess so^^.
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by eros(m): 6:59pm On Jun 14, 2010
Onwan:

@Kunle-A
I think the tinted permit thing is basically for security reasons; bandicts can get away with a whole lot of things in a vehicle with dark tints, I beleive this is the same overseas - I know I've been pulled over once on Silverside DE, for "Security Identification Purposes" - It was not for the rear tints though.

The tint also helps shield those terrible sun-rays so its worth having, especially when you know what the intense sun can do to your leather interior - especially that dash-top area (the complete assembly starts detatching from the wind-shield, same thing starts happening to the roof padding from the back side too.

There is something confusing though; Im not sure I know about the "renewable" tinted permit, I have for two of my cars and there are no expiries on any of them or any provision for renewal; both straight from Force Headquaters in Abuja and signed duely from the DIG's office. Im not sure of the renewable side of that theory.

@ Onwan,

Regarding your point, on explaining to the men in black why one does not need a tint permit for the back rear windshield and back sides, i think that might be like telling a mad man he is mad.

Those guys we all know are something out of this world. I did say, if you have your rear windshield and back sides tinted, just get the tint permit and avoid being delayed by those animals.

And as for the renewal of the tint permit that Kunle made mention of, that is not true. I had mine done in Abuja and was duly signed by the DIG and does not require any renewal. It's a one time registration.
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by Onwan: 7:08pm On Jun 14, 2010
@Eros
True

But most times, we make them what they are - IF you know how many magistrates and judges are waiting and would be happy to get those guys behind bars (and most importantly, out of those uniforms), you will be shocked.

I think in all, educated people should prep on their knowledge of their rights (NOT just in this case BUT in a lot of other things), that way you will understand that most people we think are our leaders are actually our servants.
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by eros(m): 7:11pm On Jun 14, 2010
Onwan:

@Eros
True

But most times, we make them what they are - IF you know how many magistrates and judges are waiting and would be happy to get those guys behind bars (and most importantly, out of those uniforms), you will be shocked.

I think in all, educated people should prep on their knowledge of their rights (NOT just in this case BUT in a lot of other things), that way you will understand that most people we think are our leaders are actually our servants.

That's so true, i need to get a copy of our constitution and study it thoroughly. As much as i like to avoid any troubles with the men in black, i think its worth knowing one's right and defending it when the need arises.
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by chelseabmw(m): 11:21pm On Jun 14, 2010
Just checking
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by chelseabmw(m): 11:33pm On Jun 14, 2010
Knock Knock, should i come in?
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by emperorlog: 11:37pm On Jun 14, 2010
The truth now is that Tint permits are no longer issued at least for now, so everyone has the liberty to tint his.her car pending the time we know the latest development from the NPF. In the mean time, kindly get back to me at lashman_fappy @yahoo.com. I need a 06 bmw series 3. Thanks
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by KunleA2(m): 11:50pm On Jun 14, 2010
emperorlog:

The truth now is that Tint permits are no longer issued at least for now, so everyone has the liberty to tint his.her car pending the time we know the latest development from the NPF. In the mean time, kindly get back to me at lashman_fappy @yahoo.com. I need a 06 bmw series 3. Thanks

I actually replied you yesterday on it. Check your spam box. In the meantime, i have sent it again.

Regards.
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by Onwan: 10:15am On Jun 15, 2010
emperorlog:

Im not sure where that came from BUT there are some terrible zones I dont pray you get caught driving in tints without a permit; Ogba (That Wemco Road), Ojodu Berga (Right after Road safety), Allen - Alade Market, Allen/Opebi junction, Anywhere near Area F or GRA Ikeja, the fact is that by the time they are through with you, you will want to abandon your ride with them and step.
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by Emperoh(m): 1:13pm On Jun 15, 2010
emperorlog:

Can someone pls shed more light on this

Again, Onwan, this is to you
what are the legislations or requirements to acquiring a customised vehicle plate number?
I am seeing a lot of them and i am kinda wondering, aside the fees, how does it operate!
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by BabaRamo(m): 1:54pm On Jun 15, 2010
What has glass tints got to do with heat and humidity?
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by BabaRamo(m): 1:56pm On Jun 15, 2010
What have glass tints got to do with heat and humidity?
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by KunleA2(m): 2:34pm On Jun 15, 2010
BabaRamo:

What have glass tints got to do with heat and humidity?

Tint cut down how much heat get into the car. undecided
Re: What Is The Sense In "tint Permit" In A Very Hot And Humid Country? by Onwan: 3:15pm On Jun 15, 2010
Emperoh:

Can someone pls shed more light on this

Again, Onwan, this is to you
what are the legislations or requirements to acquiring a customised vehicle plate number?
I am seeing a lot of them and i am kinda wondering, aside the fees, how does it operate!

@Emperoh
Just visit your nearest Road Safety office and ask for one; they need to do a search first to confirm availability of the tag, then you pay - I think its about 120k - 130k. Usually takes 2 weeks (or a few days if you know whats up cheesy)

(1) (Reply)

2009 Nissan Murano 3.4 M Pre-order / Nissan Quest Model For Sale @amazing Price…: 880k! / SOLD Used Honda Bulldog - N550k Last SOLD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.