Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,563 members, 7,958,743 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:12 PM

5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car (22670 Views)

Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by sharks776(m): 9:43am On Jul 21, 2018
moscobabs:
Thanks Op for this

I bought my car 4yrs ago but I have never change the transmission fluid though I have not drive 2000miles since I bought it. Even the break oil and power steering oil have not been top since then. Must I change all the fluids?

My car is still working perfectly anytime I want to drive it out

Every order oil is fine even the transmission oil so long as it is gauged and looking and smells good. BUT as a matter of URGENCY u need to change that engine oil and filter. As it is, your vehicle hardly gets to average temperature as such this will create gunk inside the engine as result of cold oil all the time. An engine oil not used properly MUST be changed every 3-6 month depending on the viscosity grade

1 Like

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by heffem(m): 9:44am On Jul 21, 2018
ITbomb:
I'm for the the stick
...bros, for this age manual na curse ...no just pray to enter Lagos traffic with am

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by Ademoore07(m): 10:55am On Jul 21, 2018
Please, which is the best between Automatic and manual transmission vehicles. I will like someone to highlight the merits and demerits of Automatic cars. Thanks
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by ITbomb(m): 11:06am On Jul 21, 2018
Ademoore07:
Please, which is the best between Automatic and manual transmission vehicles. I will like someone to highlight the merits and demerits of Automatic cars. Thanks
Automatic vs Manual Transmission
https://www.nairaland.com/547996/why-driving-manual-gear#7107973
https://www.nairaland.com/369388/automatic-manual-transmission-which-more#5153426
https://www.nairaland.com/95907/which-one-faster-automatic-manual#1756051
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by Ochibavictor(m): 11:16am On Jul 21, 2018
am I the only one who thought about the I.g when I sa w "transmission car"?
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by Nobody: 11:51am On Jul 21, 2018
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by chukzyfcbb: 12:15pm On Jul 21, 2018
changing gear while moving?

I have someone in my family who changes from D to D3 and back to D when he wants to overtake. He downshifts it to D3. when he is done overtaking he goes back to D.

He has been doing it for years and never has it gotten him in trouble. so Op you may not be entirely correct with option no 5
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by jmichael259(m): 2:01pm On Jul 21, 2018
moscobabs:

My route is prone to traffic and I hate driving in traffic, I only drive the car to bar on Sunday and it's close to my house

Do you need help driving it? My route is not prone to traffic. Can it be registerd for business?.. cheesy
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by jmichael259(m): 2:08pm On Jul 21, 2018
Partnerbiz:

What's your authority bro?

Those oils sellers are ripping you off.
Walelavender:
Nice one Op

There's an instruction at the duct of the gear oil-"No need to replace ATF under normal working condition,if you need to, check the Owner's manual'

However I change the the engine oil as at when due, but recently on the dashboard,it reads- "maintenance required". Could it be that the ATF needs to be changed coz the gear oil is no longer sticky?

Don't ask me about the Owner's manual
E no dey grin
brunofarad:
60% of Nigerian car owners are using the wrong transmission oil.

Fact
ttshems:
And pls don't even make any of this mistake with A CVT
strangest:
Na so my guy go change his transmission oil for the first time... the transmission knocked the next day... if you do not have the right transmission oil available.... postpone changing the transmission oil until you get the right one

What is the right fluid for Suzuki Every Small bus automatic? I have 3 on the road now. I no want story.
sunnedee2:

Even the rich man knows beer is not sweet
strangest:
Na so my guy go change his transmission oil for the first time... the transmission knocked the next day... if you do not have the right transmission oil available.... postpone changing the transmission oil until you get the right one

What is the right fluid for Suzuki Every Small bus automatic? I have 3 on the road now. I no want story.
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by moscobabs(m): 3:09pm On Jul 21, 2018
jmichael259:

Do you need help driving it? My route is not prone to traffic. Can it be registerd for business?.. cheesy
I wish I could bro. But my car is v6 and he dey chop fuel that's why I don't want to put it as uber

1 Like

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by Partnerbiz(f): 3:41pm On Jul 21, 2018
sharks776:

Every order oil is fine even the transmission oil so long as it is gauged and looking and smells good. BUT as a matter of URGENCY u need to change that engine oil and filter. As it is, your vehicle hardly gets to average temperature as such this will create gunk inside the engine as result of cold oil all the time. An engine oil not used properly MUST be changed every 3-6 month depending on the viscosity grade

Could you elucidate please?

I thought oil could be used for 1 year?
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by obekediamondfuto(m): 3:56pm On Jul 21, 2018
moscobabs:
Thanks Op for this

I bought my car 4yrs ago but I have never change the transmission fluid though I have not drive 2000miles since I bought it. Even the break oil and power steering oil have not been top since then. Must I change all the fluids?

My car is still working perfectly anytime I want to drive it out

dude, I've covered 3000+ miles in the last 4months.

please when u plan to sell the car just mention me abeg......

make I resell am sharpaly with a headline: Car only used on Sundays by a strict gentleman....

what vehicle is this?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by femoric(m): 8:07am On Jul 22, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

dude, I've covered 3000+ miles in the last 4months.

please when u plan to sell the car just mention me abeg......

make I resell am sharpaly with a headline: Car only used on Sundays by a strict gentleman....

what vehicle is this?

You're too funny Abeg ���
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by luglio: 9:19am On Jul 22, 2018
Walelavender:
Nice one Op

There's an instruction at the duct of the gear oil-"No need to replace ATF under normal working condition,if you need to, check the Owner's manual'

However I change the the engine oil as at when due, but recently on the dashboard,it reads- "maintenance required". Could it be that the ATF needs to be changed coz the gear oil is no longer sticky?

Don't ask me about the Owner's manual
E no dey grin

Please search the internet for your car’s maintenance manual using the car model specs.
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by melodyokafor: 10:40am On Dec 19, 2018
trantoan:
Source: https://naijauto.com/car-maintenance/5-things-to-avoid-doing-with-an-automatic-transmission-car-531

By not doing things we list below you can better protect your automatic transmission, thus avoid possible problems.

Everything has its upside and downside and automatic transmission is not an exception. While it provides you with easier, more comfortable driving experience, it causes hassles as well, especially when you need to repair it. Still, by not doing things we list below you can better protect your automatic transmission, thus avoid unnecessary problems.

Shifting to ‘Park’ mode when the car is moving

Make it a point of not putting your car on P mode (Parking) when it is still running. When the car is on the P, the locking mechanism prevents the gears from rotating, thereby stopping the vehicle from moving. Suddenly switching the gear to P mode may harm the park mechanism.

Make it a point of not putting your car on P mode (Parking) when it is still running

Not changing the transmission fluid on due time

Check the transmission fluids regularly and change it when it calls for so you won’t have to pay a hefty bill for a major engine repair. The thing when you change the fluid is to choose the right one. Decide if you need CVT or ATF fluid because you fill your car with the wrong fluid, it will harm the transmission system and it must be replaced. See when should you change your transmission fluid.

Decide if you need CVT or ATF fluid

Putting the car on ‘Neutral’ while driving downhill
It is stressed that neutral mode is not recommended while driving dow
nhill. The fact is that when in neutral, the car is free from any speed control of yours. Some may argue that will help save the fuel but most of the modern cars these days can cut the supply to the engine when the vehicle is going downhill.

Revving the car from Neutral

There are clutches and bands in the self-shifting transmission gearbox. When you launch the car by revving the engine in neutral, these parts get extra pressure and stress which lead to it being worn off. In addition, these clutches and bands are likely to slip off when the vehicle launches.

When you rev your engine in neutral, the clutches and bands get extra pressure and stress

Changing gear when your car is moving

The one primary principle every driving instructor tells learners in the very first lesson is not to change gears in an automatic transmission while the car still moving. Gear changes are all made by clutches and bands with material linings which creates friction. As the vehicle is on its move and the gears are changed, the clutches and bands may unable to handle that much load, therefore the frictional material, as well as the transmission, will be ultimately damaged.

We’ve just gone through 5 things to elude while driving an automatic transmission. However, there are more to learn about maintaining your car automatic transmission. Plus, remember to check your transmission oil every five thousand to seven thousand kilometers and always use the transmission oil recommended by the owner's manual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zzEtxJkC7Y
Video: 5 Things You Should Video: Never Do In An Automatic Transmission Vehicle

Source: https://naijauto.com/car-maintenance/5-things-to-avoid-doing-with-an-automatic-transmission-car-531

I did 3 of these lol
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by Timagex(m): 3:32am On Dec 20, 2018
busayochic:
Na poor man dey say beer bitter
. Are you saying the high performance manual cars are for the poor?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Liberty Walk Body-kitted Suzuki Jimny SUV VS Mercedes-benz G-wagon:see The Diff. / Pls Help: Catalytic Converter Missing In Exhaust Pipe / How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.