Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,014 members, 7,803,365 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car (22463 Views)

Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by trantoan: 5:19am On Jul 21, 2018
Source: https://naijauto.com/car-maintenance/5-things-to-avoid-doing-with-an-automatic-transmission-car-531

By not doing things we list below you can better protect your automatic transmission, thus avoid possible problems.

Everything has its upside and downside and automatic transmission is not an exception. While it provides you with easier, more comfortable driving experience, it causes hassles as well, especially when you need to repair it. Still, by not doing things we list below you can better protect your automatic transmission, thus avoid unnecessary problems.

Shifting to ‘Park’ mode when the car is moving

Make it a point of not putting your car on P mode (Parking) when it is still running. When the car is on the P, the locking mechanism prevents the gears from rotating, thereby stopping the vehicle from moving. Suddenly switching the gear to P mode may harm the park mechanism.

Make it a point of not putting your car on P mode (Parking) when it is still running

Not changing the transmission fluid on due time

Check the transmission fluids regularly and change it when it calls for so you won’t have to pay a hefty bill for a major engine repair. The thing when you change the fluid is to choose the right one. Decide if you need CVT or ATF fluid because you fill your car with the wrong fluid, it will harm the transmission system and it must be replaced. See when should you change your transmission fluid.

Decide if you need CVT or ATF fluid

Putting the car on ‘Neutral’ while driving downhill
It is stressed that neutral mode is not recommended while driving dow
nhill. The fact is that when in neutral, the car is free from any speed control of yours. Some may argue that will help save the fuel but most of the modern cars these days can cut the supply to the engine when the vehicle is going downhill.

Revving the car from Neutral

There are clutches and bands in the self-shifting transmission gearbox. When you launch the car by revving the engine in neutral, these parts get extra pressure and stress which lead to it being worn off. In addition, these clutches and bands are likely to slip off when the vehicle launches.

When you rev your engine in neutral, the clutches and bands get extra pressure and stress

Changing gear when your car is moving

The one primary principle every driving instructor tells learners in the very first lesson is not to change gears in an automatic transmission while the car still moving. Gear changes are all made by clutches and bands with material linings which creates friction. As the vehicle is on its move and the gears are changed, the clutches and bands may unable to handle that much load, therefore the frictional material, as well as the transmission, will be ultimately damaged.

We’ve just gone through 5 things to elude while driving an automatic transmission. However, there are more to learn about maintaining your car automatic transmission. Plus, remember to check your transmission oil every five thousand to seven thousand kilometers and always use the transmission oil recommended by the owner's manual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zzEtxJkC7Y
Video: 5 Things You Should Video: Never Do In An Automatic Transmission Vehicle

Source: https://naijauto.com/car-maintenance/5-things-to-avoid-doing-with-an-automatic-transmission-car-531

6 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by ITbomb(m): 6:20am On Jul 21, 2018
I'm for the the stick

13 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by Ukalejohn(m): 7:09am On Jul 21, 2018
Issorite
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by moscobabs(m): 7:10am On Jul 21, 2018
Thanks Op for this

I bought my car 4yrs ago but I have never change the transmission fluid though I have not drive 2000miles since I bought it. Even the break oil and power steering oil have not been top since then. Must I change all the fluids?

My car is still working perfectly anytime I want to drive it out

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by akanbiebenezer(m): 7:10am On Jul 21, 2018
thorrr
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by dingbang(m): 7:11am On Jul 21, 2018
Click like for manual , share for automatic...

26 Likes 18 Shares

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by Kentro2(m): 7:16am On Jul 21, 2018
I hear you sir
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by dkronicle(m): 7:22am On Jul 21, 2018
moscobabs:
Thanks Op for this

I bought my car 4yrs ago but I have never change the transmission fluid though I have not drive 2000miles since I bought it. Even the break oil and power steering oil have not been top since then. Must I change all the fluids?

What is written on the car manual bro? Its really necessary to follow the Instructions

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by Machini(m): 7:31am On Jul 21, 2018
Nice one.

There's something I've always wanted to confirm. A friend once told me it is not ideal to breeze through your gears, for example the gear is in Park, and you want to select Drive, you have to select Reverse first and allow it load, then Neutral, and then Drive.

Please can the gurus confirm this? Thanks.
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by Chydo63(m): 7:36am On Jul 21, 2018
moscobabs:
Thanks Op for this

Everything oil in a car are supposed to be be changed regularly whether driven or not. It's even more necessary to replace car oil when you don't drive too often because it becomes stale faster that way.
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by divinelove(m): 7:50am On Jul 21, 2018
moscobabs:
Thanks Op for this

U only covered 2000miles in 4years haba d car is not used at all. Most People cover that distance in less than a month.

U should be fine provided you change the engine oil regularly

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by divinelove(m): 7:58am On Jul 21, 2018
Machini:
Nice one.

There's something I've always wanted to confirm. A friend once told me it is not ideal to breeze through your gears, for example the gear is in Park, and you want to select Drive, you have to select Reverse first and allow it load, then Neutral, and then Drive.

Please can the gurus confirm this? Thanks.

Lol where does he get such crap from?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by ifedolapoferanm(m): 8:05am On Jul 21, 2018
Transmission Transmission i mean aprehend came to my mind

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by Walelavender(m): 8:06am On Jul 21, 2018
Nice one Op

There's an instruction at the duct of the gear oil-"No need to replace ATF under normal working condition,if you need to, check the Owner's manual'

However I change the the engine oil as at when due, but recently on the dashboard,it reads- "maintenance required". Could it be that the ATF needs to be changed coz the gear oil is no longer sticky?

Don't ask me about the Owner's manual
E no dey grin

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by Partnerbiz(f): 8:07am On Jul 21, 2018
Chydo63:

Everything oil in a car are supposed to be be changed regularly whether driven or not. It's even more necessary to replace car oil when you don't drive too often because it becomes stale faster that way.
What's your authority bro?

Those oils sellers are ripping you off.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by Nigeman: 8:07am On Jul 21, 2018
Thanks, educating
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by busayochic: 8:09am On Jul 21, 2018
ITbomb:
I'm for the the stick
Na poor man dey say beer bitter

5 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by MrJames007: 8:11am On Jul 21, 2018
moscobabs:
Thanks Op for this

2000 in 4 years? U never drive d car be dat. Well, I change my fluids once or twice(depends) a year.
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by strangest(m): 8:15am On Jul 21, 2018
Na so my guy go change his transmission oil for the first time... the transmission knocked the next day... if you do not have the right transmission oil available.... postpone changing the transmission oil until you get the right one

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by brunofarad(m): 8:24am On Jul 21, 2018
60% of Nigerian car owners are using the wrong transmission oil.

Fact

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by ttshems(m): 8:28am On Jul 21, 2018
smiley
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by ttshems(m): 8:29am On Jul 21, 2018
And pls don't even make any of this mistake with A CVT
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by engrhorla(m): 8:30am On Jul 21, 2018
Nice article

Check my signature

1 Like

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by moscobabs(m): 8:36am On Jul 21, 2018
MrJames007:
2000 in 4 years? U never drive d car be dat. Well, I change my fluids once or twice(depends) a year.
divinelove:

U only covered 2000miles in 4years haba d car is not used at all. Most People cover that distance in less a month.

U should be fine provided you change the engine oil regularly

My route is prone to traffic and I hate driving in traffic, I only drive the car to bar on Sunday and it's close to my house

1 Like

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by computerglobal(m): 8:51am On Jul 21, 2018
Op nice topic
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by snipesdam(m): 8:53am On Jul 21, 2018
moscobabs:
Thanks Op for this

As the old saying goes if it ain't broken don't fix it.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by MrJames007: 8:55am On Jul 21, 2018
moscobabs:

My route is prone to traffic and I hate driving in traffic, I only drive the car to bar on Sunday and it's close to my house
Then your fluid is still fresh grin
No need to waste money jare.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by Kewtt: 9:05am On Jul 21, 2018
busayochic:
Be civil

1 Like

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by Nobody: 9:10am On Jul 21, 2018
Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by HotMario: 9:27am On Jul 21, 2018
At least this topic is better than boobs and tonto dike.
Thanks OP

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car by sunnedee2: 9:41am On Jul 21, 2018
busayochic:
Even the rich man knows beer is not sweet

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

2017 Jaguar Xf Premium: A Joy To Behold / Liberty Walk Body-kitted Suzuki Jimny SUV VS Mercedes-benz G-wagon:see The Diff. / Typoon Jebi In Japan: Heavy Winds Upturning Cars (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.