Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,078 members, 7,957,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:42 AM

How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? (735 Views)

Inflation: Households Struggle To Cope With Galloping Food Prices / May 29: I Can Hardly Cope With Pressure, Says Buhari / Adeyinka Grandson Jailed 4.5 Years For Inciting Racial Hatred In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? by chronique(m): 6:38pm On Jul 23, 2018
So, I scolded an Arab instagram user yesterday for saying he hates Olivier Giroud passionately and I told him it was pathetic of him to just hate someone who hasn't offended him personally nor met him physically, for no reason. Dude replied my making a racist comment to me about my skin colour. I've been reading about blacks being racially abused but it happened to me first hand today. I'm wondering how I'd have reacted if it was done to me physically. For someone who has been pondering on relocating out of this country lately, I guess I'd regularly get into trouble with the security agents wherever I go, as a result of my reaction to such comments. So, I wanna ask those who currently live in the western world, how they manage to cope with this.

Below is the screen shot of the racist comment made to me.

Seun, lalasticlala, explorers. Kindly move to the appropriate section.

Re: How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? by Tolexander: 6:48pm On Jul 23, 2018
We have been tribally abused many times in our country, so racial abuse outside the shores won't be so serious to us.
Re: How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? by CAPSLOCKED: 6:59pm On Jul 23, 2018

FUNNY HOW WE EXPECT LOVE AND RESPECT FROM FOREIGNERS WHEN WE DON'T LOVE AND RESPECT EACH OTHER BECAUSE OF ETHNIC DIFFERENCES.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:23pm On Jul 23, 2018
Same way Nigerians in Nigeria cope with tribal comments. Afonja, aboki, Igbo are worse than being called a nigger undecided
Re: How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? by resurgent2019: 7:30pm On Jul 23, 2018
As far as you are surviving and living fine, there shall be no problem. Do you know how many times Igbos have denigrated Yorubas on this forum? I feel bad about it as a Yoruba man but I am now used to it.

If a white man insults me as niggar or black monkey, I won’t be moved. As long as he doesn’t stop me from progressing as a Nigerian In diaspora.
Re: How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? by Gmajor(m): 7:30pm On Jul 23, 2018
But to be fair, you insulted him first. Nigerians can be very foul mouth and quick to throw insults around.
Re: How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? by Xander85: 7:38pm On Jul 23, 2018
If you were born and grew up in Nigeria, over the years you tend to develop a tough skin that can handle something even as hurtful as racism! It's like water off a ducks back to a typical Nigerian, as we've seen, been told and coped with much worse in Naija!

See one way to handle racist jibes from ignorant mofos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFi9-1p1LWI

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:46pm On Jul 23, 2018
resurgent2019:
As far as you are surviving and living fine, there shall be no problem. Do you know how many times Igbos have denigrated Yorubas on this forum? I feel bad about it as a Yoruba man but I am now used to it.

If a white man insults me as niggar or black monkey, I won’t be moved. As long as he doesn’t stop me from progressing as a Nigerian In diaspora.

And you are saints right undecided

1 Like

Re: How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? by Nbote(m): 8:02pm On Jul 23, 2018
resurgent2019:

And U act like U don't see all d "Igbo" statements as well abi

1 Like

Re: How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? by resurgent2019: 8:07pm On Jul 23, 2018
Nbote:

And U act like U don't see all d "Igbo" statements as well abi

Igbos go too personal with their insults. Not like I am complaining ooo, we are all used to it and Nigerians have accepted igbos for who they are.

Abi how many times do you see me or most Nairalanders insulting igbos again? Only chronic BMC guys still insult igbos. Other people are tired already.
Re: How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? by Nbote(m): 8:23pm On Jul 23, 2018
resurgent2019:

Igbos go too personal with their insults. Not like I am complaining ooo, we are all used to it and Nigerians have accepted igbos for who they are.

Abi how many times do you see me or most Nairalanders insulting igbos again? Only chronic BMC guys still insult igbos. Other people are tired already.

Dis ur comment jus exposed U for what and who U are... Another sentimental tribal bigot.. First U derail d thread by bringing up d Igbos in ur very biased point of view and den go ryt ahead to give ur perceived generalization about d same ppl..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? by chronique(m): 8:34pm On Jul 23, 2018
Tolexander:
We have been tribally abused many times in our country, so racial abuse outside the shores won't be so serious to us.

i'd take that to mean you guys never see it as a big deal,and are already used to it. right?
Re: How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? by chronique(m): 8:39pm On Jul 23, 2018
tensazangetsu20:
Same way Nigerians in Nigeria cope with tribal comments. Afonja, aboki, Igbo are worse than being called a nigger undecided

is aboki an insult? what's the difference between mallam and aboki? i grew up hearing them being called both and do not know the difference. i think mallam is a title. i've never called a yoruba man afonja,or an ibo man Igbo. those are words i started hearing few years ago and basically only on nairaland. i've never heard Igbo or afonja outside of nairaland.
Re: How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? by chronique(m): 8:43pm On Jul 23, 2018
Gmajor:
But to be fair, you insulted him first. Nigerians can be very foul mouth and quick to throw insults around.

hate is a very strong word to use and it's even worse,when used against an innocent person who has never met you in life,nor offended you directly. nothing can be better used to describe people who exhibit such and show it on the internet.
Re: How Do Nigerians Overseas Cope With Racial Comments? by chronique(m): 8:47pm On Jul 23, 2018
Xander85:
If you were born and grew up in Nigeria, over the years you tend to develop a tough skin that can handle something even as hurtful as racism! It's like water off a ducks back to a typical Nigerian, as we've seen, been told and coped with much worse in Naija!

See one way to handle racist jibes from ignorant mofos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFi9-1p1LWI

sure but for a moment,i had myself looking at my skin and wondering why certain people have a problem with the black skin colour.

(1) (Reply)

Requiem For Nigeria Air / Mass Defection: What Movement Of Lawmakers Will Do To Political Parties – Wike / Chief Hon Collins Cocodia Has Been Decorted As Amb Of The Pdp Youth Alliance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.