Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,483 members, 7,954,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:11 AM

Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer (1536 Views)

Buhari Reacts To Saraki's Supreme Court Judgement Over False Assets Declaration / Shehu Sani Reacts To Saraki's Looming Arrest, Police Invitation / Nigerians React To Saraki's Impending Arrest, As DSS Withdraws His Security (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by 3Ebisco: 7:48pm On Jul 24, 2018

The leadership of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has warned the Presidency and the Nigeria Police not to do anything capable of threatening the survival of democracy in Nigeria.

Reacting to the invasion of the official residences of the Senate President, Bukola Saraki and his deputy, Ike Ekweremadu, CAN warned the presidency to desist from using the Nigeria Police to pull down democratic institutions built at a great price, including loss of lives and imprisonment of many patriots.

CAN spokesman, Bayo Oladeji, in a statement on Tuesday, expressed concerns over the poor handling of police’s invitation to Saraki, over the infamous Offa robbery saga that led to the death of no fewer than 30 people.

The Christian umbrella body condemned in strong terms the way and manner the Police were deployed in subjecting the leadership of the National Assembly to needless embarrassment and harassment.

CAN said: “The ongoing action of the Police is a siege against democracy. CAN notes with every sense of responsibility that the only difference between democracy and dictatorship is the presence or absence of the National Assembly.

“As stakeholders in the survival of the Nigerian democracy, we have no choice but to speak out against unfolding political imbroglio that is capable of not portraying Nigeria in good standing in the comity of nations.

“We caution the Police against being used to threaten democracy. CAN needs to remind the Nigeria Police that once a suspect has been invited to any of its offices, the best international practice is to exercise patience until the invitee fails to honour such an invitation.

“We are shocked, disappointed and alarmed at the aborted moves by the Police to stop both the Senate President and his deputy, from attending Tuesday’s proceedings for whatever reasons.

“We urge the Presidency to avoid any action that could threaten the democracy of our nation. The Nigeria Police are supposed to be neutral in order to ensure the survival of democracy.

“We call on both leadership of the National Assembly and the Presidency to stop acting in a manner that constitutes international disgrace and embarrassment. It is needless to remind the legislative and executive arms of government to work in synergy for the interest of our nation’s democracy.

“CAN calls on Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) and other professional bodies, like the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA), Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC), Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), among others, to remain vigilant in rescuing democracy from forces that are hell-bent in derailing it.

“We appeal to all security agencies to stop being involved in partisan politics. Nigerians must realise that leadership goes around and comes around, but our country will continue to remain. CAN calls on all service chiefs, including the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Kpotun Idris, not to destroy our democratic institutions through needless partisanship.”

PLEASE READ MORE>>>http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/07/presidency-police-threatening-nigerias.html
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by 360degreess(m): 7:54pm On Jul 24, 2018
.CAN of worms..since pmb is not giving u ppl tithe like that corrup drunkard(Gej) thats y u ppl have been ranting since...pmb till 2023 abeg.

4 Likes

Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by SheikhMuniru(m): 7:58pm On Jul 24, 2018
OUR OWN MURIC WILL TALK TOMORROW
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by NgeneUkwenu(f): 8:02pm On Jul 24, 2018
CAN of PDP!

Useless people!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by Oche211(m): 8:14pm On Jul 24, 2018
Ok
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 8:31pm On Jul 24, 2018
CAN OF CORRUPTION
CAN OF MISCHIEF
CAN OF WORMS

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by otokx(m): 8:33pm On Jul 24, 2018
CAN has derailed.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by resurgent2019: 8:38pm On Jul 24, 2018
CAN goofed with this one. What is their business with Buhari and Saraki who are both Muslims?

The present leadership of CAN is just giving Muslims the justification to destroy the body. There is nothing to say in Defence of our umbrella body this time. angry sad

1 Like

Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by lastmessenger: 8:38pm On Jul 24, 2018
360degreess:
.CAN of worms..since pmb is not giving u ppl tithe like that corrup drunkard(Gej) thats y u ppl have been ranting since...pmb till 2023 abeg.
gerrrrrout here zombie. Take your m.um.u tithe and give us back our democracy.
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by lastmessenger: 8:41pm On Jul 24, 2018
resurgent2019:
CAN goofed with this one. What is their business with Buhari and Saraki who are both Muslims?

The present leadership of CAN is just giving Muslims the justification to destroy the body. There is nothing to say in Defence of our umbrella body this time. angry sad
evil reign when good men keep quiet. I stand with can.somebody must speak up in this present time to check the excess of the executive. The president act as if he is the head of a caliphate and not the president of a democratic nation.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by FarahAideed: 8:42pm On Jul 24, 2018
Waiting for MURIC to reply this first thing tomorrow morning
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by resurgent2019: 8:43pm On Jul 24, 2018
lastmessenger:
evil reign when good men keep quiet. I stand with can.somebody must speak up in this present time to check the excess of the executive. The president act as if he is the head of a caliphate and not the president of a democratic nation.

You know muslims are looking for any way to destroy and denigrate CAN? I think it would have been better to keep quiet at this time.

You see that MURIC has not made a statement since morning. They are still devastated at the turn of events. CAN should learn to stay out of politics, else muslims will seek to destroy her.
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by resurgent2019: 8:45pm On Jul 24, 2018
FarahAideed:
Waiting for MURIC to reply this first thing tomorrow morning

Exactly, that useless terrorist group will now have something to say. CAN should just leave Buhari alone. Only God and the international community can deal with Buhari for all his atrocities while in Office.
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by lastmessenger: 8:49pm On Jul 24, 2018
resurgent2019:

You know muslims are looking for any way to destroy and denigrate CAN? I think it would have been better to keep quiet at this time.

You see that MURIC has not made a statement since morning. They are still devastated at the turn of events. CAN should learn to stay out of politics, else muslims will seek to destroy her.
Muslims or no Muslims someone need to tell buhari that he is acting like a god which he is not. He should take it easy and save our democracy abeg.
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by Omeokachie: 8:51pm On Jul 24, 2018
Came here to read comments, and I see some people whose BP has risen beyond normal up there grin

Una doh o cheesy
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by ebukamen(m): 8:54pm On Jul 24, 2018
resurgent2019:

Exactly, that useless terrorist group will now have something to say. CAN should just leave Buhari alone. Only God and the international community can deal with Buhari for all his atrocities while in Office.

You will seat at the comfort of your room and God and international community will come and fight for you? CAN should not talk even when evil is prevailing? Why are my I in the same country with some animals?
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by Lipscomb(m): 9:04pm On Jul 24, 2018
Thunder fire this useless can .

1 Like

Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by Metuh: 9:09pm On Jul 24, 2018
Lipscomb:
Thunder fire this useless can .
Cry me water.... Holy water. grin
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by resurgent2019: 9:41pm On Jul 24, 2018
ebukamen:

You will seat at the comfort of your room and God and international community will come and fight for you? CAN should not talk even when evil is prevailing? Why are my I in the same country with some animals?

You just indirectly called me an animal. Is that appropriate?

What I am saying is that CAN should steer clear of politics in a multicultural and multi religious country like Nigeria. The body should concern herself only with Christian issues. If Buhari and his Muslim supporters deal with CAN via instruments of state now, what will you do?

Let’s learn to choose our battles, please.
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 24, 2018
NgeneUkwenu:
CAN of PDP!

Useless people!
Muric= APC and herdsmen terrorist!! cursed people!!

1 Like

Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by PresidentAtiku(m): 9:57pm On Jul 24, 2018
360degreess:
Gej has gone for over 3 years. Face front! Make progress

1 Like

Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by PresidentAtiku(m): 9:58pm On Jul 24, 2018
NgeneUkwenu:
CAN of PDP!

Useless people!
Go and check your BP...

Such a terrible day to be a Zombie
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by Frankyboy1(m): 10:00pm On Jul 24, 2018
Pls shut up
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jul 24, 2018
ALMUSTAQIM:
CAN OF CORRUPTION

CAN OF MISCHIEF

CAN OF WORMS
cry me a river little baby!! your useless president, President Moham mad!! Buhari is fast taking Nigeria back to stone edge and you're here crying like l
a little baby. indeed Islam is a cursed to humanity!
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by Sharpshooota: 10:40pm On Jul 24, 2018
resurgent2019:

Everyone should rise up in defence of democracy
Both Muslims and Christians
What went down today is a show of shame
I expect muric and other bodies to issue statements condemning this heinous acts....
I'm disappointed you see this differently
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by RussianKGB: 10:43pm On Jul 24, 2018
[s]
resurgent2019:

You just indirectly called me an animal. Is that appropriate?

What I am saying is that CAN should steer clear of politics in a multicultural and multi religious country like Nigeria. The body should concern herself only with Christian issues. If Buhari and his Muslim supporters deal with CAN via instruments of state now, what will you do?

Let’s learn to choose our battles, please.
[/s]
Stop typing like a coward. What do u mean by choosing battles? So u expect a body like CAN to keep quiet and watch while a power drunk tyrant undermines our hard earned democracy? Meanwhile i wonder if Buhari and his muslim supporters whom u so worship and fear are not humans. You should be ashamed of urslf for typing like a sissy. If ure gutless, keep mute and let the people who have the balls to confront tyranny in the face be.
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by Samunique(m): 10:50pm On Jul 24, 2018
360degreess:
Olodo undecided

Like Buhari like his supporters !!!

If you have any contrary opinion to theirs, the next thing is you are "CORRUPT" you are a thief !

bunch of imbeciles that reason with their anus, well I don't blame u bcs, supporting Buhari is very infectious.

I've noticed that those who support Buhari suddenly always loss their sanity and this, is one of the many examples that I've seen .
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by ChidiAlaigbo: 11:14pm On Jul 24, 2018
RussianKGB:

Stop typing like a coward. What do u mean by choosing battles? So u expect a body like CAN to keep quiet and watch while a power drunk tyrant undermines our hard earned democracy? Meanwhile i wonder if Buhari and his muslim supporters whom u so worship and fear are not humans. You should be ashamed of urslf for typing like a sissy. If ure gutless, keep mute and let the people who have the balls to confront tyranny in the face be.

You igbo people - you want to lead your people to another armagedon
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by ChidiAlaigbo: 11:16pm On Jul 24, 2018
ebukamen:

Ojucrook or Ojukwu did more than this, and he lost 3m dumb idiots to show for it. There much more muslims in this country than Christians, you people will just die for nothing again.
Re: Presidency, Police Threatening Nigeria’s Democracy – CAN Reacts To Saraki, Ekwer by RussianKGB: 11:22pm On Jul 24, 2018
[s]
ChidiAlaigbo:

You igbo people - you want to lead your people to another armagedon
[/s]
Who's igbo and what are u yapping about?

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Beautiful Children Of Rochas Okorocha! / My Pictures Today At PDP Rally Kaduna State / Buhari On Course To Win Tomorrow's Elections~International Political Polls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.