Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low (6891 Views)

External Reserves Drop By $950m In 17 Days — CBN Report / Naira Weakens At Forex Market As Foreign Reserves Drop To $43b / External Reserves Hit $38.7bn, Rise By 50% In One Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by Maol(m): 5:40am On Jul 26, 2018
The nation’s foreign exchange reserves have dropped to a three-month low of $47.303bn, data from the Central Bank of Nigeria showed on Wednesday.

The reserves, which stood at $47.697bn on July 11, dropped by $394m in 13 days.

Data from the CBN revealed that the reserves rose from $47.333bn in April 24 to $47.846bn on May 11.

It was reported on July 13 that the reserves, which rose from $47.605bn on May 31 to $47.789bn on June 29, dropped by $102m to $47.697bn on July 11.

The Managing Director, Blackbit Limited, Wale Ajibade, in a telephone interview with our correspondent, stated that the drastic decline in the reserves could be attributed to government action in supporting the exchange rate.

He said, “This is what is putting pressure on the external reserves. I believe that a free market should be allowed, but it is a complex situation because the exchange rate can go up and lead to heightened inflation. But in the long run, the exchange rate would likely see a further demolition in value because of the support.”

Source and more:
External reserves drop to three-month low http://punchng.com/external-reserves-drop-to-three-month-low/
Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by Acjohn(m): 6:46am On Jul 26, 2018
CBN Governor is trying his best. That man was never at fault so don't blame him. This only dropped because Buhari withdrew so much money to appease the senators and placate members from leaving APC which was utter failure.

you ask me what's my source?
A wise man said when a which cries out at night and a baby dies in the morning waste not your time looking for the cause of death.
But it's funny that the old man sees no corruption in that.
That's why I keep saying that in Nigeria it's those in power that defines the meaning of corruption and not the dictionary.

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by iornenge81(m): 6:58am On Jul 26, 2018
cheesy
Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:58am On Jul 26, 2018
Free market should definitely be allowed.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by MDVCONSULTANTS: 7:00am On Jul 26, 2018
Our external reserve that has been on a steady rise drops just after we hear senators receiving 50 to a 100million each and all the cash moving around for vote buying in Ekiti?

I didn't say anything sha

48 Likes

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by Icon4s(m): 7:01am On Jul 26, 2018
Maol:
The nation’s foreign exchange reserves have dropped to a three-month low of $47.303bn, data from the Central Bank of Nigeria showed on Wednesday.

Data from the CBN revealed that the reserves rose from $47.333bn in April 24 to $47.846bn on May 11.

It was reported on July 13 that the reserves, which rose from $47.605bn on May 31 to $47.789bn on June 29, dropped by $102m to $47.697bn on July 11.

The Managing Director, Blackbit Limited, Wale Ajibade, in a telephone interview with our correspondent, stated that the drastic decline in the reserves could be attributed to government action in supporting the exchange rate.

He said, “This is what is putting pressure on the external reserves. I believe that a free market should be allowed, but it is a complex situation because the exchange rate can go up and lead to heightened inflation. But in the long run, the exchange rate would likely see a further demolition in value because of the support.”

Source and more:
External reserves drop to three-month low http://www.sanwomi.com/2018/07/external-reserves-drop-to-three-month.html

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

Hmm... Ekiti election.

7 Likes

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by Johnsmartinyang(m): 7:01am On Jul 26, 2018
Hmmm robbing peter to pay Paul..why can't these ancestors just die and leave the stage? So sad

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by Justiceleague1: 7:05am On Jul 26, 2018
They yaff dump bubu,now hes playing rough full time grin
Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by Saintp(m): 7:06am On Jul 26, 2018
Lol. External reserves and elections in Nigeria are like 5 and 6 naa. It will keep dropping till 2019 elections and start rising again after 2019. That has always been the case, are you guys new to Nigeria?

5 Likes

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by wristbangle: 7:08am On Jul 26, 2018
post=69710905:
Free market should definitely be allowed.

It will lead to inflation. Nigerians are too greedy. They will keep hoarding it

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by TroubleMaker47(m): 7:08am On Jul 26, 2018
But who keeps removing it?

1 Share

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by Jamie1(m): 7:08am On Jul 26, 2018
Mr. Integrity my foot.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by MikaelJP(m): 7:08am On Jul 26, 2018
I was made to believed that Buhari is the best president we will have in this country. But, opposite is what that's happening now.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by Positivepoint(m): 7:09am On Jul 26, 2018
Acjohn:
CBN Governor is trying his best. That man was never at fault so don't blame him. This only dropped because Bugatti withdrew so much money to appease the senators and Replace members from leaving APC which was utter failure.

A wise man said when a which cries out at night and a baby dies in the morning waste not your time looking for the cause of death.
But it's funny that the old man see no corruption in that.
That's why I keep saying that in Nigeria it's those in power that defines the meaning of corruption and not the dictionary.

hate will only lead to untimely death.

CBN sustains forex intervention, injects $210m
TAIWO OJOYE
18 JUL 2018
Feyisayo Popoola

The Central Bank of Nigeria on Tuesday injected the sum of $210m into the interbank foreign exchange market.

According to a statement, the CBN offered $100m to authorised dealers in the wholesale segment of the market, while the Small and Medium Enterprises segment got the sum of $55m.

It said $55m was also allocated for invisibles such as tuition fees, medical payments and basic travel allowance.

The Acting Director, Corporate Communications Department, CBN, Mr Isaac Okorafor, restated the apex bank’s resolve to continue to intervene in the interbank forex market, in line with its pledge to sustain liquidity in the market and maintain stability.

Okorafor maintained that the continued forex intervention was to ensure that the CBN met the requests of genuine customers in various segments of the market.

Meanwhile, the naira stood at an average of N360/$1 in the Bureau De Change segment of the market on Tuesday.

http://punchng.com/cbn-sustains-forex-intervention-injects-210m/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:11am On Jul 26, 2018
wristbangle:

It will lead to inflation. Nigerians are too greedy. They will keep hoarding it
You have a good point there also.
VERY good point.
We forgot for a minute how things work here!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by Gamesmart: 7:12am On Jul 26, 2018
Acjohn:
CBN Governor is trying his best. That man was never at fault so don't blame him. This only dropped because Bugatti withdrew so much money to appease the senators and Replace members from leaving APC which was utter failure.

But it's funny that the old man see no corruption in that.

slowpoke!

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 7:17am On Jul 26, 2018
THIS IS A FAKE NEWS THREAD FILLED WITH BUHARI HATERS & CO. ( Chartered lazy youths)
Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by Ihateyoumod: 7:18am On Jul 26, 2018
MDVCONSULTANTS:
Our external reserve that has been on a steady rise drops just after we hear senators receiving 50 to a 100million each and all the cash moving around for vote buying in Ekiti?

I didn't say anything sha

But u pple said it was abacha loot nah y r u pple shifting goal post

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by erico2k2(m): 7:24am On Jul 26, 2018
Maol:

Source and more:
External reserves drop to three-month low http://punchng.com/external-reserves-drop-to-three-month-low/

which dem dey do back up plan in case the unthinkable happens or money for election was kpankied(saffi pidgin)if U know U know.
Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by Maket: 7:27am On Jul 26, 2018
Effect of Campaign has started
Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by erico2k2(m): 7:30am On Jul 26, 2018
Positivepoint:

hate will only lead to untimely death.

CBN sustains forex intervention, injects $210m
TAIWO OJOYE
18 JUL 2018
Feyisayo Popoola

The Central Bank of Nigeria on Tuesday injected the sum of $210m into the interbank foreign exchange market.

According to a statement, the CBN offered $100m to authorised dealers in the wholesale segment of the market, while the Small and Medium Enterprises segment got the sum of $55m.

It said $55m was also allocated for invisibles such as tuition fees, medical payments and basic travel allowance.

The Acting Director, Corporate Communications Department, CBN, Mr Isaac Okorafor, restated the apex bank’s resolve to continue to intervene in the interbank forex market, in line with its pledge to sustain liquidity in the market and maintain stability.

Okorafor maintained that the continued forex intervention was to ensure that the CBN met the requests of genuine customers in various segments of the market.

Meanwhile, the naira stood at an average of N360/$1 in the Bureau De Change segment of the market on Tuesday.

http://punchng.com/cbn-sustains-forex-intervention-injects-210m/

Go and sit where the sun dnt shine, azz batchers.
when the last FG was doing same you lot screamed that the money was being diverted even though publications like these where rampant, so now it is happening in this FG you want us to go back and read same shyte we did B4 and make it white and positive abi? Una way nor clear I swear, Hence we will keep going back and fort like dead whale.
Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by Positivepoint(m): 7:40am On Jul 26, 2018
erico2k2:

when the last FG was doing same you lot screamed that the money was being diverted even though publications like these where rampant, so now it is happening in this FG you want us to go back and read same shyte we did B4 and make it white and positive abi? Una way nor clear I swear, Hence we will keep going back and fort like dead whale.

which last govt are talking about. the govt that left 28 billion dollars when crude was 140$? Kindly post any link that shows ur last govt forex intervention. Argue with fact not hearsay

3 Likes

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by erico2k2(m): 7:42am On Jul 26, 2018
Positivepoint:

which last govt are talking about. the govt that left 28 billion dollars when crude was 140$? Kindly post any link that shows ur last govt forex intervention. Argue with fact not hearsay
here we go, who was the CBN man then and who was the CBN man now?
DO you know how much we gonna have when this FG leaves??
Stop supporting these thieves, non of them mean well for Nigeria, all you or anyone post are hearsay, there is no verifiable source even if the CBN says so.

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by Positivepoint(m): 7:48am On Jul 26, 2018
erico2k2:

Stop supporting these thieves, non of them mean well for Nigeria, all you or anyone post are hearsay, there is no verifiable source even if the CBN says so.

or so u mean a govt dat depleted billions of dollars when the sun was shining bright is better than a govt that saved billions when the sky grew dark?

our reserve grew when crude was just above 50 $ and yet thesame reserve depleted when crude was 140$. bros i know where to pitch my tent.

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by rufdan(m): 7:51am On Jul 26, 2018
Thought as much [[color=#000099][/color] grin grin grin grin grin
Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by erico2k2(m): 7:51am On Jul 26, 2018
Positivepoint:

or so u mean a govt dat depleted billions of dollars when the sun was shining bright is better than a govt that saved billions when the sky grew dark?

our reserve grew when crude was just above 50 $ and yet thesame reserve depleted when crude was 140$. bros i know where to pitch my tent.
make we dey look nah, chay we go dey here 2019, we go see how much remain, you seem to forget the so called recovered loot, and when they where asked to provide the physical evidence, story die there, till date no one can account for the monies recovered, the forgot this is not 1983 where we cant keep records. believe any FG at your own peril. all these figures flying about might just be something to pacify MOPs.
Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by miiraaj: 7:51am On Jul 26, 2018
erico2k2:

Present your facts or you shut the hell up... angry

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by 912(m): 7:52am On Jul 26, 2018
erico2k2:

Baseless argument. With respects to the maintenance of the country's foreign reserves, the last government failed woefully.

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by noruwasman(m): 7:53am On Jul 26, 2018
Until next election, expect more drop in external reserve except the Nigeria China currency swap yield positive fruition [size=8pt]Until next election, expect more drop in external reserve except the Nigeria China currency swap yield positive fruition
Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by Positivepoint(m): 8:02am On Jul 26, 2018
erico2k2:

make we dey look nah, chay we go dey here 2019, we go see how much remain, you seem to forget the so called recovered loot, and when they where asked to provide the physical evidence, story die there, till date no one can account for the monies recovered, the forgot this is not 1983 where we cant keep records. believe any FG at your own peril. all these figures flying about might just be something to pacify MOPs.

Most of the recovered loots are on temporary forfeiture awaiting legal conclusion. in lay mans term they are frozen funds even govt cant touch it until it is legal to do so. The govt are trying to establish a special court to fast track the process.

bros if anybody has any record of pmb corruption why cant they make it public? with the so much hate flying u should start wondering why arent any evidence of corruption against MR PMB available. The truth is they only hate him coz he aint like them and he aint gonna allow them treat nigerian resources as personal.

2019 is the final battle of the control of the soul of nigeria. The greatest battle of all time

2 Likes

Re: External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low by YorubaEmir: 8:08am On Jul 26, 2018
angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Your BankPHB Experience? / Dangote Sugar Posts N14.4bn Profit In 2016, Declares 60k Dividend / How Can I Get A Loan In Lagos With My Car As Collateral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.