Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,180 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

Should Game Developers Revolt Against Exclusivity? - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Should Game Developers Revolt Against Exclusivity? (944 Views)

Deus Ex: Even Game Developers Acknowledge Nigeria As A Fraudulent Nation / Mobile Game Developers / Nigerian Game Developers Drop A Link To Ur Games Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Game Developers Revolt Against Exclusivity? by LucemFerre: 10:03am On Jul 26, 2018
Hehe... Of course not. Children must eat and must go school grin
Orrrrr... should they?

Before I start. I do not know who started hating who or who still hates who between Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. And frankly, I don't care. That ain't my problem.

But, seriously would cross platform gaming really hurt anyone? Well, yes. It might hurt the platform company that aren't making their sh!t strong enough to effectively handle games that other platforms can (PC excluded, cuz it can be moded to suit any generation of gaming). Wouldn't that still be a healthy competitive basis? I mean the console companies could focus on creating powerful features that would enhance gaming experience like exclusive avatars, outfits, kits and general aesthetics that would not be of advantage against other platforms'.
And for the game developing companies... Hohoho. It's gonna be an additional huge a$$ profit for them and for the gamers... Hihihi. They would have countless variety of great games to play.

So let's think about it, who will cross play negatively affect? No one as long as they're doing what they're supposed to. Right

I think platform cross play would be a great leap forward for the gaming industry and greater leap forward for we gamers wink cuz,
1. Platforms will be cheaper
2. More games to play
3. Great features
4. Ability to play with friends irrespective of what platform/controller they prefer.
5. There would be healthy competition for the game developers too. Not shoving whatever they want up gamers' throat.
6. etc.

Seriously, what I'm I missing? We are looking at heaven but can't touch? Tf

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should Game Developers Revolt Against Exclusivity? by GameGod(m): 2:12pm On Jul 26, 2018
Sony producing exclusive games is understandable, but companies like rock star and naughty dogs have no reason to produce exclusive games.
Re: Should Game Developers Revolt Against Exclusivity? by LucemFerre: 2:44pm On Jul 26, 2018
Naughty dog is owned by Sony. Rockstar does produce multi-platform games.

1 Like

Re: Should Game Developers Revolt Against Exclusivity? by GameGod(m): 4:10pm On Jul 26, 2018
LucemFerre:
Naughty dog is owned by Sony. Rockstar does produce multi-platform games.
Ok, i didn't know sony owns naughty dogs, but red dead redemption was exclusive from rock star. Even GTA v was released on PC very late.
Re: Should Game Developers Revolt Against Exclusivity? by LucemFerre: 4:24pm On Jul 26, 2018
GameGod:

Ok, i didn't know sony owns naughty dogs, but red dead redemption was exclusive from rock star. Even GTA v was released on PC very late.

I really don't know the reason behind releasing games on one platform first before the other.
Red dead would be for PS and XB
Re: Should Game Developers Revolt Against Exclusivity? by GameGod(m): 4:48pm On Jul 26, 2018
LucemFerre:

I really don't know the reason behind releasing games on one platform first before the other.
Red dead would be for PS and XB

There are many reasons for each company. As in red dead, their reason was due to technical and messed up coding, Red Dead wasn't able to be made for PC. they were unable to optimize it for PC during PlayStation 3 era, but with advance technology now, PC fans have been asking for remastered, but still rock star are acting noob.

1 Like

Re: Should Game Developers Revolt Against Exclusivity? by GameGod(m): 4:50pm On Jul 26, 2018
Another explanation could be that Sony or Microsoft (or both) payed companies extra to not release games on PC. But most likely it's Sony because Microsoft owns Windows.

1 Like

Re: Should Game Developers Revolt Against Exclusivity? by LucemFerre: 5:12pm On Jul 26, 2018
Oops. Ain't that a b!tch
Re: Should Game Developers Revolt Against Exclusivity? by HyDef(m): 7:00pm On Jul 26, 2018
Unfortunately, the hardware manufacturers are always looking for how to push one person from another console to theirs. It's all about the games, so that's typically the easiest way to do it.
"You don't have this console? Too bad, you'll never be able to play this stupidly awesome title."
And it works. Hopefully one day in the future, I'll play Uncharted.

Once all games are universal, it's hard for the console makers to make any money, because most other incentives you can think of aren't powerful enough to pull people in as much as any of the Big 3 want.
Imagine Nintendo gives the others access to their huge slate of first party properties. You could have Breath of the Wild playing at native 4K, easy. Good for gamers, but bad for business.

In the end, it's not really about gamers, but about the money they make through us. The software developers benefit either way, exclusive or not, but not the hardware guys.

But don't think I don't agree with you. Fortnite is completely cross-platform in terms of online play, if I'm right, and I think that's friggin' awesome. Probably unprecedented.

1 Like

Re: Should Game Developers Revolt Against Exclusivity? by LucemFerre: 7:56pm On Jul 26, 2018
HyDef:
Unfortunately, the hardware manufacturers are always looking for how to push one person from another console to theirs. It's all about the games, so that's typically the easiest way to do it.
"You don't have this console? Too bad, you'll never be able to play this stupidly awesome title."
And it works. Hopefully one day in the future, I'll play Uncharted.

Once all games are universal, it's hard for the console makers to make any money, because most other incentives you can think of aren't powerful enough to pull people in as much as any of the Big 3 want.
Imagine Nintendo gives the others access to their huge slate of first party properties. You could have Breath of the Wild playing at native 4K, easy. Good for gamers, but bad for business.

In the end, it's not really about gamers, but about the money they make through us. The software developers benefit either way, exclusive or not, but not the hardware guys.

But don't think I don't agree with you. Fortnite is completely cross-platform in terms of online play, if I'm right, and I think that's friggin' awesome. Probably unprecedented.

Yea, I agree but, check this, would crossplay of games already available for all the platforms provide significantly lower profit?

Okay, let me give them the opportunity to make hundreds of millions over us and not billions, right... Worst case scenario, they could still keep the exclusivity. Just make the games available for all platforms playable accross all platforms.
I'm not saying PS should release GOW or HZD or Detroit for other platforms and vise versa. I'm saying they should make cross play possible for games like COD, FIFA, NFS, etc... You get

That won't hurt, would it?

I thought they come out every e3 and wash us with how whatever they do is to make game so exciting for us. Maybe we should tell 'em "hey, sh!t don't get exciting when you replace crossplay with profit." cheesy

And yeah, i read that fortnite boosted the company by like $3bil and had 2milion downloads in 24 hrs on the switch. I'm tempted already
Re: Should Game Developers Revolt Against Exclusivity? by HyDef(m): 8:22pm On Jul 26, 2018
LucemFerre:

Yea, I agree but, check this, would crossplay of games already available for all the platforms provide significantly lower profit?

Okay, let me give them the opportunity to make hundreds of millions over us and not billions, right... Worst case scenario, they could still keep the exclusivity. Just make the games available for all platforms playable accross all platforms.
I'm not saying PS should release GOW or HZD or Detroit for other platforms and vise versa. I'm saying they should make cross play possible for games like COD, FIFA, NFS, etc... You get

That won't hurt, would it?

I thought they come out every e3 and wash us with how whatever they do is to make game so exciting for us. Maybe we should tell 'em "hey, sh!t don't get exciting when you replace crossplay with profit." cheesy

And yeah, i read that fortnite boosted the company by like $3bil and had 2milion downloads in 24 hrs on the switch. I'm tempted already

Ah, I see what you mean now. I agree entirely. I was confusing it with 'multi-platform'. Stupid me.

In addition to your last point, I read that if you exclude Fortnite's profits, Q2 profits from 2018 would have been a 6% drop from 2017. Phenomenal.

I mean, once again coming to Fortnite, they did it, so it's definitely possible. They even went the extra step of allowing iOS to crossplay with consoles. If that's not ridiculous, I don't know what is. Whether it's Switch, or Xbox, or PC, or an iPhone, you can play together?? More of these guys should get on that.

Epic is by no means a small company, but come on, if they can do it, why can't EA?

1 Like

Re: Should Game Developers Revolt Against Exclusivity? by LucemFerre: 8:57pm On Jul 26, 2018
Haha... Ikr
I didn't even know one could play with IOS. Isn't that bliss?
Well, I hope they explore this area of love between us and within themselves. The thought of cross play alone gives me boners cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Ighalo Makes FIFA 19 TOTW / Why Real Life Physics CANNOT Be Used For Video Games. You'd Rub Your Chin! / Pubgmobilelite Vs Hopelessland In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.