Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

The SQUAD - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The SQUAD (958 Views)

Going Home Squad - (A Short Story) By Ekemini Pius / Alpha Squad. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The SQUAD by homesteady(m): 9:43am On Jul 27, 2018
I sat at that same spot, the disco lights blazing in all its glory, yet, all I saw was this consuming darkness. The supposedly catchy music sounded like the chirping sound of a pregnant cricket. The bottle water I ordered tasted like bile. It was not always like this, at least not that memorable day one year back.

That day marked the end of our seven years of toiling and baptism of fire and brimstone in medical school. We paid our dues, the five of us were officially Doctors. Later at night, we gathered at this spot, with our chilled “33” Export Lager Beer raised high, we chanted – “May this camaraderie last forever”. Emina, Ehizokhae, Nathaniel, Usman and I, the squad! That was our unofficial modus operandi, from the “33” Lager Beer, to the chant and to the sequent merriment. It was always in that order.

Fortunately, we got placements for the compulsory Housemanship at the same hospital and as young Doctors, we decided to be philandering around, after all we were going to be receiving some cool cash. Emina led the onslaught without breaks. He chased after all the voluptuous nurses, his spoils of war were plentiful. I remember the numerous shifts I took for him while he was ‘busy’, I impersonated him severally and a Consultant was just a tip from uncovering the ploy. I can still remember how deeply I breathed when I was not caught, that is what friends do for each other, he also did the same for me. We always laughed about it at that same spot with our “33” Export Lager Beer.

Our flamboyant lifestyle needed to be sustained and our salaries were not going to do that on the long run. We decided to start a business, a small, highbrow club. Doctors needed a place to cool off some steam, so we heeded to that demand. Funding was sourced from our personal savings and soft loans from family and friends. I contributed the least, I was not financially buoyant like the rest four, but I was made the CEO because I was financially savvy and the most responsible, it was a unanimous decision. I was the sole signatory to the account. The manager was to report to me.

‘Three’ was the name of our club, the name was conceived at that spot while drinking that same “33” Export beer that has been refreshing our friendship over the years. Unsurprisingly, it was the best-selling commodity at our bar. The well-blended brew was hard to resist.

Seven months into our Housemanship and two months down since the start of our club, aside the stress of saving lives, every other thing was rosy, the club was relatively successful, just providing enough to sustain our lavish lifestyles. The popularity of the club by extension made us popular and more ladies came flocking. I met Idara at the club, she was not like the other girls who willingly threw themselves at me. Luckily for me, we attended the same university, so we had a lot to discuss. She was so pleasant and graceful which really caught my attention, butterflies in my stomach were fluttering! I was in love.

Days went to months and she gradually evaded the privacy of my heart, if she asked me to jump, I would ask how high. Love is a beautiful thing indeed. To crown it all up, the Squad liked her. She had patiently glided her way to the pinnacle like the serpent she is, camouflaged in saints’ clothing.

It sounded like a joke when she asked me to sponsor her trip to Dubai, she did not persuade me, I just saw the possibility and I worked towards it despite knowing it would hurt our meager funds and we had debts to repay. I clandestinely raided the club accounts and paid all the expenses for the trip. I knew I would miraculously replenish the account, so I believed. Ehizokhae saw her vacation pictures on Instagram, told me about it and I lied that her rich uncle sponsored her.

Three days into her Dubai foray, she pleaded for more money to buy some jewelries to sell when she gets back and promised to pay as soon as possible. Love had still blocked my adenosine receptors, so the caffeine in the coffee could not make me alert. I sent her the rest cash in the account. That was the push that started the domino effect.

The club was failing, but I heaped the blame on the manager. We were on our last month of housemanship, we were to receive one last salary. Idara had disappeared into thin air, same with all my money and the club’s money, I was damned. I had plunged all my friends into staggering debts.

The club had unceremoniously closed down, and I was back at our old spot, this time alone. They were all mad at me and had not spoken to me for a month. They had every right to. As I was seated in my partial blindness, I could still sight the glorious “33” Export logo on that treasured green bottle. The holder was moving towards my direction. It was the squad! I was not sure of what emotion to display. Within split seconds, I was up and hugging all of them, I guess I cried. We got seated and I was given my own bottle of chilled “33” Export Lager Beer. With our hands stretched so high, we screamed to the astonishment of the crowd - “MAY THIS CAMARADERIE LAST FOREVER”.

1 Like

Re: The SQUAD by breadandtea(f): 10:52am On Jul 27, 2018
How didn't your friends beat you to a pulp? grin grin
I nearly shed a tear, well done!! Nice story.

1 Like

Re: The SQUAD by homesteady(m): 7:49pm On Jul 27, 2018
breadandtea:
How didn't your friends beat you to a pulp? grin grin
I nearly shed a tear, well done!! Nice story.

The words limit was 1000, so I couldn't really go wider.

Thanks.
Re: The SQUAD by ghostwritter(m): 9:51am On Jul 28, 2018
homesteady:

The words limit was 1000, so I couldn't really go wider.

Thanks.
OP, I've got great Idea if u wish to continue with this story. It has got great potential if I were u.

1 Like

Re: The SQUAD by homesteady(m): 4:07pm On Jul 28, 2018
ghostwritter:

OP, I've got great Idea if u wish to continue with this story. It has got great potential if I were u.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate. I'd love to continue and I'd appreciate any idea.
Re: The SQUAD by ghostwritter(m): 5:28pm On Jul 28, 2018
homesteady:

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate. I'd love to continue and I'd appreciate any idea.
let me have ur email.
Re: The SQUAD by homesteady(m): 7:07pm On Jul 28, 2018
ghostwritter:

let me have ur email.

evbogame1@gmail.com
Re: The SQUAD by ghostwritter(m): 12:26am On Jul 29, 2018
homesteady:

evbogame1@gmail.com
check ur mail.
Re: The SQUAD by homesteady(m): 10:32pm On Jul 29, 2018
Don't touch that dial, watch out for the continuation.

The SQUAD!!!
Re: The SQUAD by Iraug(m): 3:26pm On Jul 30, 2018
Now that Mr Ghost � is involved I gas to follow dis story keenly

(1) (Reply)

Mission Black Cat By Writer X / Snatched Home / Best Writing School, Online Or Around

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.