Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,441 members, 7,954,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:21 AM

Tributes Rolls As Ikeme Quits Football - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tributes Rolls As Ikeme Quits Football (440 Views)

Mikel Obi's Retirement: UEFA, Chelsea & Terry Lead Tributes For Nigerian Legend / Maradona: Pele, Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi And Kanu and Others Lead Tributes / I Will Go Back To School Or Become An Actor When I Quits Football - Ronaldo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tributes Rolls As Ikeme Quits Football by Prinq: 3:11am On Jul 28, 2018

Praises have been pouring in from various sources for Nigeria and Wolverhampton Wanderers goalkeeper Carl Ikeme, who retired from football on Friday on health grounds.

Former Super Eagles’ number one Ikeme, who started the journey to the Russia 2018 World Cup with the Eagles, was diagnosed with acute leukaemia in July 2017 but entered into complete remission in June.

“I spoke with the doctor and he suggested I should retire, because of the toll the treatment has taken on my body,” Ikeme said.He announced his retirement in a statement on Wolves website.

“He thinks it’s what is best for me and I can’t really risk trying to come back, my health is the priority. I want to be here for my children, family and friends. In the grand scheme of things with my life in danger, it’s the minimum price I have to pay to spend the rest of my time with my family.”

However, praises poured in for the 32-year-old ex-Wolves keeper with his fellow keepers hailing him.

“Having been at the club since the age of 14, Carl is far more than just a player in our eyes – he is our brother and an important part of our family,” said Wolves executive chairman Jeff Shi.

“When Carl came to tell us (with) his news, yes there was sadness, but also great happiness to see him so healthy and hungry for the opportunities that lay ahead of him.

“Carl is strong, a fighter, something he has proven in his playing career and also during what has been a very challenging time for him, so I have no doubt he will be a success in whatever he does next. We wish Carl all the very best for the future, but remind him he will always remain a part of the Wolves family.”

Goalkeepers from various nationalities and clubs in England also praised their former colleague.

Some of the keepers in the video are Iker Casillas, Petr Cech, David Seaman, Joe Hart, Boaz Myhill, Mike Stowell, Adam Federici, Walter Zenger and Mark SchwarzerIn a video clip posted on the Wolves Twitter handle, while some of the players sang to the tune of the famous Cuban song ‘Guantanamera’ to render ‘One Carl Ikeme, there is only one Carl Ikeme’, others only chanted the phrase.

Others are Asmir Begovic, Tomasz Kuszczak, Jack Ruddy, Andreas Sondergaard, David Stockdale, Will Norris and Lukasz Fabianski.

Ikeme was in goal for Nigeria’s first three matches of the 2018 World Cup qualifiers. His first cap was in a 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier away to Tanzania in Dar es Salaam in September 2015

Source:- http://www.lekkigists.com.ng/2018/07/tributes-rolls-as-ikeme-quits-football.html

honeric01 semid4lyfe
Re: Tributes Rolls As Ikeme Quits Football by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:18am On Jul 28, 2018
All the best man

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tributes Rolls As Ikeme Quits Football by Konze70: 3:18am On Jul 28, 2018
Nice decision bro. May God continue to protect u
Re: Tributes Rolls As Ikeme Quits Football by Anigreat: 3:50am On Jul 28, 2018
shocked

Now crying

where's my handkerchief

But if Ikeme wasn't diagnosed with cancer how will monstrous looking 19years old Uzoho come to limelight. Everyone is sad for Ikeme, only 19years monstrous looking Uzoho will be happy.

(1) (Reply)

Hungarian F1 Grand Prix 2018 / Choose A Football League Of Your Choice And Join Us Here / Photos: F.C Cola Football Academy Make History, Win Morocco International Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.