Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement (23295 Views)

Carl Ikeme Announces His Retirement From Football / Carl Ikeme Makes First Public Appearance After Battle With Cancer (photos) / Carl Ikeme's Cancer In Remission (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by ClintGist(f): 8:41am On Jul 28, 2018
Super Eagles players have begun to pay their tributes to goalkeeper Carl Ikeme after he announced his retirement from international football.

The 31-year-old announced his retirement on Friday, July 27 much to the surprise of football loving Nigerians.

Ikeme played a key role for the Super Eagles during the qualification stage of the 2018 FIFA World Cup as he was the first choice shot-stopper before he suffered acute-leukaemia which ruled him out of action.

In his message on Instagram, Ikeme thanked the management and staff of Wolverhampton Wanderers for their support.

His message read, “after advice from the doctors I have taken the decision to retire. It’s not a sad day for me but one to look back with fondness and joy for being able to live my dream.

“I just want to thank everyone at @wolves for there support over the years. We have rode the good and bad times together , an I’m great-full to of been apart of the clubs history. I’m looking forward to catching up with everyone again soon and being back around the club and city !! Thank You!!!.”

Super Eagles players reactions to Carl Ikeme’s retirement

Upon posting the message several Super Eagles star have taken to social media to pay their tribute to the goalkeeper.

Some players posted on their social media handles while others paid their tributes by writing a message in the comment section of his post.

Super Eagles all-time highest goals scorer at the FIFA World Cup Ahmed Musa wrote on his Instagram post.

He said, “Carl, you have been a great brother and teammate. I want to wish you well in the next chapter of your life.

“You have been fighting your battle for a long time and you are in my prayers. May you be blessed with great new beginnings and good health #Soldier”

Arsenal midfielder Alex Iwobi said, “God Bless Big Bro ❤”

Leicester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho said, “Gods grace will always be with you Carl, you will be remembered.”

Chelsea defender Kenneth Omeruo wrote, “I would have love to play with you more my bro @carlikeme ..But am happy you will be with us in good health.. You are a legend bro.. and am sure Nigerians will miss seeing you in the national team.. Good luck my brother and like u said, it’s not a sad day.. ❤ where is the retirement party do .”

Ogenyi Onazi Super Eagles vice-captain wrote,“Thank God for your life and your health, this is most important bro ❤❤ @carlikeme.”

While Super Eagles midfielder John Ogu wrote, “Thank God for restoring back your health. And Good luck with your next chapter.”

Source: https://www.clintgist.com/super-eagles-players-tribute-to-carl-ikeme-on-his-retirement-id8666632-html/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by amaniro: 8:50am On Jul 28, 2018
No matter how famous and important you are. One day you'd be forgotten.

Happy retirement ikeme.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by adewumiopeyemi(m): 9:00am On Jul 28, 2018
cool
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by Emmafe(m): 12:36pm On Jul 28, 2018
Happy retirement ikeme.

Check my signature for Samsung phones
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by neolboy(m): 12:36pm On Jul 28, 2018
Thank God for healing you
You fought well

6 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by HajimeSaito(m): 12:37pm On Jul 28, 2018
Someone posted his stats as a Super Eagles player from Opta.com and his record is actually better than Enyeama's which is impressive given that his career was so short lived.
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 28, 2018
Even Ezenwa that is happy will also be writing tribute?
Smh.
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by kolafolabi(m): 12:37pm On Jul 28, 2018
amaniro:

Happy retirement ikeme.

Weldone okay

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by rayobaba(m): 12:39pm On Jul 28, 2018
Life!
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by AYOMITIDE1982(m): 12:44pm On Jul 28, 2018
Great Goalkeeper you were.

Nigeria exited the World Cup that early because your presence was missing.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by swiperthefox: 12:46pm On Jul 28, 2018
It is better for him to retire so that he can focus on his health.
Enjoy your retirement Ikeme.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by HotMario: 12:49pm On Jul 28, 2018
I wish him well in retirement
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by daamazing(m): 12:55pm On Jul 28, 2018
Our kit fine shaaa
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 28, 2018
amaniro:

Happy retirement ikeme.

Try forgetting Einstein, Newton, Archimedes, Aristotle, Caesar, Da Vinci. Need I go on?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by amaniro: 1:03pm On Jul 28, 2018
kolafolabi:

Weldone okay
why did you quote me
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by amaniro: 1:05pm On Jul 28, 2018
UBGG:

Try forgetting Einstein, Newton, Archimedes, Aristotle, Caesar, Da Vinci. Need I go on?
They say wisdom is a flower that don't grow in everyone's garden. A new generation will be brought up, forget even history most of you can't even remember Lawrence anini or osisikanku.
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by phase1: 1:07pm On Jul 28, 2018
Carl Ikeme fought a good fight. I'm proud of him.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 28, 2018
amaniro:

They say wisdom is a flower that don't grow in everyone's garden. A new generation will be brought up, forget even history most of you can't even remember Lawrence anini or osisikanku.

Ok.
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by Buhari2019: 1:16pm On Jul 28, 2018
UBGG:

Ask him whether he have forgotten Lord Luggard.
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by eistien(m): 1:54pm On Jul 28, 2018
He is still alive nau Iheanacho undecided undecided
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by Triniti(m): 2:05pm On Jul 28, 2018
Ezenwa should have been a pastor, the way the dude goes about with his rosary and singing gozie okeke’s song during their time in camp for the world baffles me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by CaptainFM1: 3:13pm On Jul 28, 2018
amaniro:

If your name is written in gold....No one will forget you. And by "No one", I mean the people that matters!

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by AKPH(m): 4:20pm On Jul 28, 2018
UBGG:

Stop using ancient people as example guy. Even Ronaldinho sef has been forgotten
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jul 28, 2018
AKPH:

Stop using ancient people as example guy. Even Ronaldinho sef has been forgotten

Ok.
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by hiz: 4:51pm On Jul 28, 2018
Wish you well Big Carl, In a short period you've made a huge print.
Longlife Carl Ikeme No. 1 SuperEagle NG
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by glamorousbluice(f): 5:28pm On Jul 28, 2018
Tribute?? is he dead?? undecidedbloggers should be careful of how they use words nah
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by Topman87: 6:24pm On Jul 28, 2018
amaniro:

Happy retirement ikeme.
[color=#000099][quote author=amaniro post=69771587]No matter how famous and important you are. One day you'd be forgotten.
Nigeria squad will miss u alot
Re: Super Eagles Players Pay Tribute To Carl Ikem after He Announced His Retirement by mechanics(m): 7:36pm On Jul 28, 2018
amaniro:

Happy retirement ikeme.
hmmmm.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ifeanyi Egwim Undergoes Successful Surgery (Photos) / Benfica Women Team Sores 293 Goals And Concedes 0 after playing 16 Matches / 20 Clean Sheets: Ederson And Becker Share The Castrol Golden Glove Awards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.