Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,007 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

How To Invest For The Very First Time - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / How To Invest For The Very First Time (379 Views)

Give Your Business The Right Exposure/invest for massive ROI (commercial Land) / Stop Giving Your Money To People To Trade Or Invest For You. Try Copy Trading / Pls Tell Me How To Invest For My Child Home & Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Invest For The Very First Time by Maol(m): 12:10pm On Jul 28, 2018
She’s just 18 years old. She’s a freshman in college studying industrial design. And before she left for school, she made her very first investment in stocks and bonds. It took her all of five minutes. I was so proud of her.

Over the past few months I have had the opportunity to talk with three first-time investors. In addition to my friend’s daughter mentioned above, I’ve also spoken with two friends in their twenties. One had never invested. The other had a 403(b), but really no idea how to create an investment plan or how to evaluate the mutual funds in his retirement account.

These conversations were eye-opening. At first I tried to reduce a lifetime of investing experience into a 20 minute conversation. I learned that many people really don’t care about emerging markets, REITs, or standard deviation. They also aren’t that interested in the debate between actively managed investments versus index funds.

What they do care about is risk. They want to understand the chances of losing money. Here it’s helpful to distinguish between volatility, which the industry defines as risk, and loss of purchasing power, which intelligent investors define as risk. But here again, I’ve gone too far into the weeds for most investors just starting out.

So in the end we talked about 4 things:

Time: Investing in stocks is for the long term. If you will need the money in a couple of years, keep it in a high yield savings account. Investing in stocks should be for a minimum of five years, and ten years is preferable.Diversification: Most investors should diversify across a wide spectrum of investments. The most important decision will be how much to invest in stocks versus bonds. For long term investors, more should be in stocks than bonds.Cost: Even small costs, multiplied over a lifetime of investing, will have a big impact on an investor’s results. It’s wrong to thing that a 1% fee is small. It can easily erode hundreds of thousands of dollars in value over a lifetime.

Source and more:
How To Invest For The Very First Time http://www.sanwomi.com/2018/07/how-to-invest-for-very-first-time.html

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun
Re: How To Invest For The Very First Time by otagbajoshua: 8:16am On Jul 29, 2018
Lovely, thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Neatly Used Laptop For Sale 55k give away for today / If You've Got An Iphone Or Ios 10 And U Want To Earn Get In Here / Mr Eazi To Empower 100 African Artistes With 3000USD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.