Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,055 members, 7,810,946 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

Homes And Properties @ Nnendu Properties Now - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Homes And Properties @ Nnendu Properties Now (269 Views)

Gtext Homes Properties Now IBADAN!!! / Why You Need To Invest Your Money In Ibeju-lekki Properties Now / Sell Your Personal Properties Now(land Or House) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Homes And Properties @ Nnendu Properties Now by Ezebohirepurcha(m): 7:49pm On Jul 28, 2018
FOR SALE

A plot of land on a good location. It is fenced and it have dwarf structure on it. Location; Agric Ikorodu. Price: N15m. Titles: Survey, deed of assignments and Family receipt.

A storey building of 2 flats of 3bedroom at roofing level on it. With space in d front. Location: Magboro, Ogun state. Titles: family receipt, deed of assignment and survey. Price: N20m

1400sq meter (2 Plots) of virging Land at Magodo Isheri, 140m

Blocks of flat at Strategic position in Magodo Isheri-80m

5 Bedroom Duplex + 2 numbers of 3bedroom flat on full plot of land @ Ikosi,Ketu. Price: 65million asking, Title: C of O.

OMOLE PH 2 BY THE GATE~vacant twin 3br duplex, cof0 55m asking.

olowora\omole ph2~8br detached house + 3 rooms bq on 800sqm2 land + swimming pool. 70m asking

5bedroom detach duplx diretly on collage road built on 550 sqmeter good title #75milion.

Newly built 10nos of 3bedroom flat in Omole phase 2, 400m

Bungalow in 1/2 plot of Land in Magogo Isheri, 40m

5 Bedroom detached house with 2 living rooms, security house, gym house & 2 Rooms boys quarter all ensuite on about 700Sqm at magodo isheri with C of O... 90M

789 sqmeter empty land unilag estate magodo phase 1 isheri #25milion. net regt. survey.

650 sqmeter empty land 15milion

700 sqmet empty #9milion

1400 sqmeter empty land all in the same enviroment.

739 sqmeter empty land opic estate wth letter of Alocation #7milion.net

tenament bungalow @ Agege on 545 sqmeter behind agege stadium-8.5milion.

4bedroom semi detach duplx magodo GRA isheri c of o #48milion.net

newly built 4brdroom bungalow @ GIWA OKE ARO #18milion built on 400 sqmeter.

5bedroom duplx new house magodo shangisha GRA #100, 110,120, 170, milion.

omole phase 2 #110milion,

Letting
spacious 4bedroom semi detach duplx 3packing space all en suit in magodo GRA phase 1 isheri #1.8milion

Newly build 3bedroom flat in Magodo isheri, 1m

A very good 2b flat in Alapere 750 for one yr 2t 2t .

3 bedroom flat in Magodo isheri, 800k

SHORT LETS
Shortlet fully service on Mainland @ Magodo Isheri below ......

4bedroom flat, fully serviced,40k per day Shortlet

3bedroom flat , fully service 30k , per day

For enquiries call, NNENDU PROPERTIES

Culled from; http://naijapropertyboard..com/2018/07/properties-nnendu-properties-now.html?m=1
Re: Homes And Properties @ Nnendu Properties Now by Ezebohirepurcha(m): 1:56pm On Aug 28, 2018
[06:49, 8/28/2018] ‪+234 813 951 9101‬: Copied:
A LAWYER CANNOT ENGAGE IN THE BUSINESS OF SELLING LANDS FOR CLIENTS, SAYS COURT

It was settled in a court judgement in 2013 that a lawyer has no requisite educational learning, practical training, certification/licensing, & any backing in law to either sell or lease or manage land, buildings & facilities for clients in Nigeria.
See below the court judgement on this matter in 2013:

=================================

Did you know that the Rules of Professional Conduct (RPC) for lawyers in Nigeria does not allow lawyers to sell land?

Well, read the case of NBA v Ibebunjo (2013) 18 NWLR (Pt.1386) and find out how selling lands for clients can make a lawyer to be derobed!
(Note: NBA means “Nigerian Bar Association”)

On whether the business of selling land is incompatible with the practice of law, the Judge held as follows:

By virtue of rule 7(3) of the Rules of Professional Conduct, the business of selling land is a trade or business incompatible with the practice of law. In the instant case, the respondent was clearly doing illegal business to sell land.

“As it relates to count 2, it is clear beyond per adventure that the business of selling land is a trade or business incompatible with the practice of law. Rule 7(3) clearly provides the category of business that are compatible with the practice of law. From what we have reproduced above the respondent was clearly playing with fire when he was using the platform of his legal practice to sell land. The justice of this case demands that we allow him go full time into his main business of selling of land and to leave the business of practicing law to those who are bona fide legal practitioners.”

NBA v Ibebunjo (2013) 18 NWLR (Pt.1386) 413 @428, paras. A-C

=================================

FURTHER COMMENTS ON THE ABOVE COURT JUDGEMENT

The truths on the business of selling or leasing or managing lands, buildings & facilities for clients in Nigeria, are that:

1. Lawyers only have the requisite educational learning, practical training, certification, backing in law and backing in the “Rules of Professional Conduct” for lawyers in Nigeria, to get involved ONLY in the following areas:

* Advising or giving a legal opinion to clients on land title documents & tenancy agreements,

* Drafting of land title documents & tenancy agreements for clients,

* Filing & handling of cases in court, for clients.

2. Any person who is not a lawyer but has a good understanding of the tenancy law is legally qualified to write & serve Quit Notices to tenants, because there is no law in Nigeria that has reserved this function for lawyers only, as it is erroneously believed by the public for decades.

3. The only persons that have the requisite educational learning, practical training, certification/licensing & the backing in law to sell or lease or manage lands, buildings & facilities for clients in Nigeria, are ONLY the "Registered/Licensed Estate Surveyors & Valuers" who are members of the "Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors & Valuers” (NIESV) and are Registered/Licensed by the "Estate Surveyors & Valuers Registration Board of Nigerian" (ESVRBN) which was created by the Federal Government of Nigeria with Decree 24 of 1975.
[07:21, 8/28/2018] ‪+234 807 514 2528‬: ❌❌❌❌❌❌❌

This is against the rules of this group. I would have deleted you immediately, but due to the fact of the sensitivity in your post I will calm down for you. We have open doors on Friday's for such post like this in our General Class.

*OUR CLASS SCHEDULE*:

*General Class* on Fridays, here is the day that we are all allowed to asked general questions and provide ourselves with answers, we are also allowed to discuss on any matter that's pertaining to Real Estate and Property Law Practice in Nigeria from 8am to 8pm, *TAKE MORE TIME TO LEARN OUR RULES, DON'T JUST COME HERE TO PASTE WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW OR MISGUIDE THE GENERAL CLASS MEMBERS HERE*

*No Lessons Are Learnt From Classes Not Attended*

For a reply to your post, which you have used to successfully destabilise this class for today. Whereby, we were supposed to discuss *The Role of the Family Head in Property Practice* can no longer hold. Courtesy to you @Humility. Now, we have to deal with your today's post to clarify the issues you have raised and not misguide people here accordingly. Am sure you didn't read the full judgement on any of your posted cases either.

First, am going to post a response from a Lawyer that was fortunate in answering your indirect question with *Nigeria Real Estate Hub* some days ago.

Moreover, my plan for next Monday Property Law Class was to deal with the *Role and Responsibility of Solicitors in Nigeria Property Practice*

*Sit back, relax and learn*

Thanks
[07:28, 8/28/2018] ‪+234 807 514 2528‬: https://nigeriarealestatehub.com/the-business-of-buying-and-selling-lands-is-prohibited-from-practicing-lawyers-barrister-akintonde.html/
[07:37, 8/28/2018] ‪+234 807 514 2528‬: *Practicing lawyers are prohibited from the business of buying and selling Lands – Barrister Akintonde*
Posted by: Rianat Sanni in Interviews, Real Estate August 15, 2018 0

This interview addresses the issue of buying and selling lands by Lawyers
Ezra .A. Akintonde is a legal practitioner with over 6 years of experience in Defamation, Tourism & Hospitality, Corporate & Commercial as well as Criminal Litigation. He is a graduate of Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State where he bagged an LL.B (Honours) degree.

He is company secretary to more than eight companies and is well versed with legal and regulatory requirements of corporate organizations. Between 2012 and 2014, he served as a key member in organizing the G.M Ibru & Co Seminars on Defamation Law and Seminar on Tourism and Hospitality Law.

NREH: What pitched your interest to go into real estate?

Barrister Ezra: Real Estate has always been one of the areas that caught my attention while I was young. While studying law at Olabisi Onbanjo University, I was introduced to real estate law as a subject. When I was in school, it was called Land Law. It was and is still a very interesting subject for me. I loved it better when it was introduced again in law school as property law practice. I love real estate law so much because it is the business of providing shelter for humans and shelter is one of the basic needs of every human. I had to take up real estate briefs in order to help combat the deterioration currently experienced in the real estate sector. Another reason is to help resolve disputes between landlords and tenants and also to help prevent future adverse occurrences by providing sound real estate advisory services.

NREH: How have you been able to combine it (real estate) with your profession as a Lawyer?

Barrister Ezra: As a lawyer, real estate law and practice are one of the basic areas I find quite intriguing. For me, it’s more of a passion than a job. My work as a lawyer is complementary to real estate practice.
According to the Land Instrument Preparation Laws of the Various states, Lawyers are exclusively empowered to draft land documents such as Deed of Assignment, Lease Agreement and more. So you see, it is part of my duty as a lawyer to ensure that property transactions are well documented. (smiles).
My firm also advises clients on real estate matters and I always take active roles during such occasions.
So I will say it’s not been difficult combining real estate practice with my job as a lawyer.

NREH: Are you of the opinion that Doctors are treated better or are more respected than lawyers in Nigeria?

Barrister Ezra: Each profession has its own ups and downs. I believe that lawyers deserve a lot more respect than they are currently being accorded. Lawyers hold the fabrics of the society together. They have to interface and provide services to and in every organization. Yes, I believe doctors are being treated better than lawyers in terms of wages and salaries. I may not be able to provide the accurate statistics off hand but take for instance a lawyer working in the Ministry of Justice and a Doctor working in one of the Government Hospitals. If you look at what both of them earn, you will see that there is a huge disparity.

*NREH: Can a lawyer be a real estate agent?*

*Barrister Ezra: Being a lawyer doesn’t stop you from practicing other professions. Yes, as a lawyer you can engage in real estate agency. I have friends who branched into other practices after they were called to bar. Lawyers are everywhere. They are in politics, the media, military, and what have you. One typical example I will like to give is Falz, popular musician and son of Femi Falana SAN. Although Falz is a lawyer, he, however, left the legal profession and went into music as a full-time career.*
*Why then can’t lawyers be in real estate business?* *There are lawyers who have a degree in estate management.*
*However, as a lawyer, you cannot practice as a legal practitioner while also engaging in other businesses.* *One has to give way for the other.*

*NREH: Rule 7(3) of the Rules of Professional Conduct states that the business of selling land is a trade or business incompatible with the practice of law.*
*What’s your take on this?*

*Barrister Ezra: Well, the rule is binding on all lawyers that are practicing the profession. According to the Rules of Professional Conduct for lawyers, certain businesses are incompatible with your status as a lawyer. If you are practicing as a legal practitioner, you are not expected to engage in the business of selling land. What the rule is trying to prevent is a situation where law firms will start engaging in buying and selling of lands as a business. If you want to go into the business of buying and selling lands then you will be required to put aside your law practice. You can’t be an active legal practitioner and still be selling land through your law firm.*
*However, in a situation whereby your client engages you in such a transaction, you can be of help to dispose of the client’s property.*You can take all steps necessary for such disposals including advertising and marketing of the property. This is clearly different from a lawyer buying and selling land just to make profit.*
*As a matter of fact, the business of buying and selling Lands or buying and selling generally is prohibited for practicing lawyers.*
*If however, you are a lawyer who has chosen not to practice then you can be engaged in whatever business you want.*

NREH: With the advent of technology, do you think real estate agents will soon go into extinction?

Barrister Ezra: Many professions will become obsolete, not just real estate agents. Bankers, Teachers, Drivers, Store attendants, Secretaries and a lot more and even doctors, mechanics, but we are looking between ten to twenty years from now.

NREH: If you have the opportunity to choose between Abuja and Lagos to continue your practice, which would you go for?

Barrister Ezra: I’ve heard that Abuja is the city of the biggest fishes in the river but when compared to Lagos, there is more for a lawyer in Lagos than in Abuja. If I have the same briefs in Abuja as I have in Lagos, why not? I will prefer Abuja.

NREH: How do you relax?

Barrister Ezra: I see a lot of movies because I learn a lot while getting entertained. I also like to be on the internet watching YouTube videos. Occasionally I hang out with friends and family.
[07:40, 8/28/2018] ‪+234 807 514 2528‬: From the above submission from my amiable learned friend and colleague who is also a member of this class. I have highlighted the basic questions and answers we need here in *BOLD* words as pasted below :

*NREH: Can a lawyer be a real estate agent?*

*Barrister Ezra: Being a lawyer doesn’t stop you from practicing other professions. Yes, as a lawyer you can engage in real estate agency. I have friends who branched into other practices after they were called to bar. Lawyers are everywhere. They are in politics, the media, military, and what have you. One typical example I will like to give is Falz, popular musician and son of Femi Falana SAN. Although Falz is a lawyer, he, however, left the legal profession and went into music as a full-time career.*
*Why then can’t lawyers be in real estate business?* *There are lawyers who have a degree in estate management.*
*However, as a lawyer, you cannot practice as a legal practitioner while also engaging in other businesses.* *One has to give way for the other.*

*NREH: Rule 7(3) of the Rules of Professional Conduct states that the business of selling land is a trade or business incompatible with the practice of law.*
*What’s your take on this?*

*Barrister Ezra: Well, the rule is binding on all lawyers that are practicing the profession. According to the Rules of Professional Conduct for lawyers, certain businesses are incompatible with your status as a lawyer. If you are practicing as a legal practitioner, you are not expected to engage in the business of selling land. What the rule is trying to prevent is a situation where law firms will start engaging in buying and selling of lands as a business. If you want to go into the business of buying and selling lands then you will be required to put aside your law practice. You can’t be an active legal practitioner and still be selling land through your law firm.*
*However, in a situation whereby your client engages you in such a transaction, you can be of help to dispose of the client’s property.*You can take all steps necessary for such disposals including advertising and marketing of the property. This is clearly different from a lawyer buying and selling land just to make profit.*
*As a matter of fact, the business of buying and selling Lands or buying and selling generally is prohibited for practicing lawyers.*
*If however, you are a lawyer who has chosen not to practice then you can be engaged in whatever business you want.*
[08:06, 8/28/2018] ‪+234 807 514 2528‬: Now, I need not talk more on this issue. To avoid ambiguity or misguided information.

===============================

FURTHER COMMENTS ON THE ABOVE COURT JUDGEMENT

The truths on the business of selling or leasing or managing lands, buildings & facilities for clients in Nigeria, are that:

1. Lawyers only have the requisite educational learning, practical training, certification, backing in law and backing in the “Rules of Professional Conduct” for lawyers in Nigeria, to get involved ONLY in the following areas:

* Advising or giving a legal opinion to clients on land title documents & tenancy agreements,

* Drafting of land title documents & tenancy agreements for clients,

* Filing & handling of cases in court, for clients.

*There is no argument on this position of law and fact, cos its true*

2. Any person who is not a lawyer but has a good understanding of the tenancy law is legally qualified to write & serve Quit Notices to tenants, because there is no law in Nigeria that has reserved this function for lawyers only, as it is erroneously believed by the public for decades.

*There is a partial argument:* One thing about law is that to every rule, there is an exception. The general rule is that, only a lawyer is allowed to prepare a legal documents, which we have all learnt from a previous class in this forum too. Now, the ability for a Landlord or his Agent to issue a Quit Notice is also not in dispute either as can be seen in *Form TL2* and *Form TL3* of the Lagos Tenancy Law. But, this is a dangerous step to take if all that is required is not put in place in the notice in terms of drafting and service delivery of same. This one singular act, can jeopardize the case of a Landlord if he eventually has to take his Tenant to Court to recover possession. Thus, it's advisable to engage the services of a Legal Practitioner. What I will say is that *it is not compulsory, but it is necessary* to engage a Lawyer to issue the Quit Notice.

3. The only persons that have the requisite educational learning, practical training, certification/licensing & the backing in law to sell or lease or manage lands, buildings & facilities for clients in Nigeria, are ONLY the "Registered/Licensed Estate Surveyors & Valuers" who are members of the "Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors & Valuers” (NIESV) and are Registered/Licensed by the "Estate Surveyors & Valuers Registration Board of Nigerian" (ESVRBN) which was created by the Federal Government of Nigeria with Decree 24 of 1975.

*I am in no position to argue on this at all*

In conclusion, I want us take this away today. A lawyer is not allowed to practice real estate basically under the name of his Law Office or Chambers. That is what the law is protecting.

If a lawyer is interested in the business of buying and selling of properties, he is allowed to register a Real Estate Firm for that purpose. So, please don't let us mix things up. @Humility

Thanks for your time.

(1) (Reply)

Electrical And Power Services / Plots Of Ready To Build Dry Land For Sale Kola Alagbado Ait Road Lagos Mainland / 34 Rooms Hotel For Sale At Ikeja GRA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.