Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,714 members, 7,809,705 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:37 PM

Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. (3294 Views)

8 Cheap Suvs Tougher Than A Jeep Wrangler (and 8 That Don’t Live Up) / A Jeep Climbs Up Near Vertical Rock (Photos, Video) / A Jeep On Fire Behind Federal Secretariat Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by 9icetoo(m): 5:54pm On Jul 30, 2018
Nice work. Following. Hope it turns out well
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by mayor2013: 8:33pm On Jul 30, 2018
Avoid revving the ride at start up so as to avoid unecessary problems. You might want to try to take off the fuel pump relay at first and crank severally prior to starting the car. This would help noise produced come to alomst a minimal level. Lubrication process is faster with this.

Good luck on your quest
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:35pm On Jul 30, 2018
mayor2013:
Avoid revving the ride at start up so as to avoid unecessary problems. You might want to try to take off the fuel pump relay at first and crank severally prior to starting the car. This would help noise produced come to alomst a minimal level. Lubrication process is faster with this.

Good luck on your quest

Thanks men for the heads up. I couldn't finish today had a lot to do. I will update the thread once I am done
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by AutoElectNG: 2:18am On Aug 04, 2018
Marine Engineer...any updates?
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:44am On Aug 04, 2018
Been wondering too...

2 Likes

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by Kewtt: 4:59am On Aug 04, 2018
Hmmm
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by radautoworks: 5:28am On Aug 04, 2018
Just stumbled on this and was totally loving this thread. Why the cliffhanger?

1 Like

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by oblo(m): 6:20am On Aug 04, 2018
Nice DIY read....

Why would someone steal seals?? angry

1 Like

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:53am On Aug 04, 2018
Sorry guys. I have not been able to update. Work has been stressful. I would try and finish up on Sunday so I could update.

1 Like

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by Kewtt: 6:58am On Aug 04, 2018
oblo:
Nice DIY read....

Why would someone steal seals?? angry

Village people can do anything

1 Like

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:25am On Aug 04, 2018
Kewtt:

Village people can do anything

grin grin grin grin
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:03am On Aug 05, 2018
I am sorry guys I haven't been able to update this thread. My week has been very busy. I got a volunteer job where I work from 9 to 6 everyday. Anyway my uncle finished the engine on his own. He wanted to start it but noticed the fuel rails were leaking fuel so he tightened it and started the engine. The engine started as normal and car was taken for a test drive. However, he rewatched the YouTube video that helped us with the timing procedures and felt we had made a mistake with the timing. He opened to recheck and we were right after all. However, he noticed the chain adjusters were very tight. I went to check it this morning and he was right. Engineering 101 says metals expand when heated and contracts when cooled. Those chains will eventually expand when they get very hot and since the chain adjusters are tight they would jump the sprockets and jump out of timing which is what we think happened in the first place.

We loosened everything again and have ordered for a new fuel rail and chain adjusters. Some guys here talked against loosening the top cylinder heads as they use torque to yield bolts. This car manual states explicitly that the bolts can still be reused provided they haven't stretched.
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:04am On Aug 05, 2018
Chain adjusters.

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:05am On Aug 05, 2018
Engine loosened again grin

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by mayor2013: 11:25am On Aug 05, 2018
Nice one. Timing chain tensioner might just need to be replaced for both banks. Not to forget it works with oil pressure if you have been using mineral oil 20w50 then it's just a good time to have it replaced. Also inspect your timing chain guide as well
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:42am On Aug 05, 2018
mayor2013:
Nice one. Timing chain tensioner might just need to be replaced for both banks. Not to forget it works with oil pressure if you have been using mineral oil 20w50 then it's just a good time to have it replaced. Also inspect your timing chain guide as well
We are changing for both banks.
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by sultaan(m): 9:51am On Aug 06, 2018
tensazangetsu20:
I am sorry guys I haven't been able to update this thread. My week has been very busy. I got a volunteer job where I work from 9 to 6 everyday. Anyway my uncle finished the engine on his own. He wanted to start it but noticed the fuel rails were leaking fuel so he tightened it and started the engine. The engine started as normal and car was taken for a test drive. However, he rewatched the YouTube video that helped us with the timing procedures and felt we had made a mistake with the timing. He opened to recheck and we were right after all. However, he noticed the chain adjusters were very tight. I went to check it this morning and he was right. Engineering 101 says metals expand when heated and contracts when cooled. Those chains will eventually expand when they get very hot and since the chain adjusters are tight they would jump the sprockets and jump out of timing which is what we think happened in the first place.

We loosened everything again and have ordered for a new fuel rail and chain adjusters. Some guys here talked against loosening the top cylinder heads as they use torque to yield bolts. This car manual states explicitly that the bolts can still be reused provided they haven't stretched.
sultaan:
I hope you bought a new timing chain kit to replace the old one

I dont think you needed to take the cylinder heads off now you will need new bolts for the heads they are torque to yield

All those parts come in a timing chain kit everything should have been replaced with new ones
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by Nobody: 2:03am On Aug 07, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

Well the repair manual didn't state so. Anyway I will go to auto mechanic school when it is free grin

You don't necessarily need new bolts since you're not building a race engine. You're not affecting the compression (i.e. installing new pistons/rings/etc)

BUT, a big BUT, you have to carefully look at the bolts, follow proper lube process, etc, etc

I say don't worry about it.

Now, if you're doing this on a customers engine then of course not changing the bolts could be financial negligence.

Also, I will bet N1 that you don't have to remove the cylinder head to reset timing.

2 Likes

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by Nobody: 2:08am On Aug 07, 2018
I'll use this opportunity to speak directly to fellow CarTalkers.

Use what OP is doing as an inspiration.

Working on cars is very simple, it's a simple bolt off, bolt on process. Rarely will you have too much of a convoluted measurements.

Even if yo choose not to rebuild engines you can at least speak with authority to you repair shops when repairs are needed.

OP, if time permits, you can always advertise a "Replace Jeep Cylinder Head/Timing Chain" side job.

I'm outstandingly proud of you and you're the type of person I like to encourage.

I have an automotive gift for you if our paths cross in Nigeria.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:40am On Aug 07, 2018
EgunMogaji:

You don't necessarily need new bolts since you're not building a race engine. You're not affecting the compression (i.e. installing new pistons/rings/etc)

BUT, a big BUT, you have to carefully look at the bolts, follow proper lube process, etc, etc

I say don't worry about it.

Now, if you're doing this on a customers engine then of course not changing the bolts could be financial negligence.

Also, I will bet N1 that you don't have to remove the cylinder head to reset timing.

Yeah we didn't need to but the valves had bent and had to be changed.

2 Likes

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:47am On Aug 12, 2018
Changed those adjusters but the new ones brought were still too tight. Too many substandard parts in Nigeria lipsrsealed. Now I have to order the whole kit from amazon. Sultan was right afterall tongue

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by mayor2013: 2:23pm On Nov 11, 2018
@ op pls kindly update this thread before I change my mind. angry It's almost 2019

1 Like

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by oblo(m): 9:38pm On Nov 11, 2018
mayor2013:
@ op pls kindly update this thread before I change my mind. angry It's almost 2019

I stand with you Jare. Make e no let me vex go buy same jeep start my thread and finish before you angry

2 Likes

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by LeJeun3: 10:54pm On Nov 11, 2018

If a mechanic kept your car for this long without updates, you would have called police for him.....

1 Like

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by mayor2013: 11:41pm On Nov 11, 2018
LeJeun3:

If a mechanic kept your car for this long without updates, you would have called police for him.....

Police ke or meeting of all demeanors grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Coin Rover - Too Much Money! Check Out This Range Rover Covered In Coins / Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem / Honda Cars And Their Hand Yanking Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.