Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,361 members, 7,812,024 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? (8541 Views)

Lagos Base Which Company Are The Best To Learn Programing And Has Affordable Fee / Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher / The Most Financially Rewarding Areas In Programing. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by Babiboy: 9:22am On Aug 01, 2018
Both are in demand. so the best remain to your mental Interest
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by iamjavadem(m): 9:25am On Aug 01, 2018
Because you know nothing. Mobile is the future.
Alaadin:

I strongly disagree with ur last stmt
Web is the future.
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by simiolu1(m): 9:41am On Aug 01, 2018
Zsquare:

Web is demanding but first what programming language are you going to work with? Java, C, C#, Python and lots more are out there and each has different web framework to work with. Python in combination with Django can give you the best web development experience but it all comes to understanding of language of your choice.

Plus are you going to be a back-end developer or a front-end developer? Ask yourself different questions and when you find the right answers then you can make your choice!

A good web developer should have at least 75% knowledge on how to link his work with android, IOS or Windows.

Android apps pay much or pay less depending on the usability but web developers make their money whether you use the web or not because it's just a contract between them and the organization.

Check your interests, your talents, environment you want to work including the mentality of such people, marketing strategies on how to make yourself a brand and it's not necessary you learn different programming language.

Hope this will give you little guidance on your choice!

My dear, do you know how complicated mobile app development has become? Everyone here is giving the different languages that can be used to build web apps as if different languages cannot be used to build mobile apps.

Dear OP, even in the mobile programming world, different languages are used. If you want to develop cross-platform mobile apps, Ionic, React Native and Native Script are at your fingertips. React Native and Native Script are both JavaScript based. Even Vue.js now can now be used to develop native mobile applications.

There's also Dart and Flutter. Both languages are being pushed by Google as alternatives to React Native, Native Script and other languages that allow you to develop cross platform mobile applications.

If you want to do traditional native android development, I would advise you to go learn Kotlin. Developed by IntelliJ and adopted by Google, Kotlin is now the official android native programming language going forward due to the patent suit that Oracle filed against them sometime ago. So going forward, Kotlin is going to be the big man. Those telling you about Java still like in 2016.

So don't be deceived that mobile programming s just about learning Java and XML. These guys did not even mention XML as if it is not a language in itself.

Dear OP, do your research and make your decision; but let me warn you. If your only motivation to learn software development is money, you'll tap out of the race because you're going to be easily frustrated.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by Ups01(m): 9:56am On Aug 01, 2018
Dear OP, Learn Android Programming.
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by Bhorbymills1990: 10:19am On Aug 01, 2018
Learn cross platform mobile app development... We have over 80million mobile internet users in Nigeria... You can easily hit 1million downloads if you map out your marketing strategy carefully
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by ugonna1054(m): 10:47am On Aug 01, 2018
SEONaijaExpert:
Android programming. Over 80% of web users surf via their mobile phones.
before nko....you think web programming is all about using laptops or desktops?? How do i access the web if I don't have a laptop? or a desktop?? You got it right...My Phoneee!!!

What you should have said, is that Over 80% of Internet users prefer or use Mobile/Android apps as opposed to Web Apps....which idk the statistics.. sad
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by klashe(m): 10:47am On Aug 01, 2018
You can always start with web development and dive into mobile Dev later.

1 Like

Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by klashe(m): 10:50am On Aug 01, 2018
I concur
simiolu1:

My dear, do you know how complicated mobile app development has become? Everyone here is giving the different languages that can be used to build web apps as if different languages cannot be used to build mobile apps.

Dear OP, even in the mobile programming world, different languages are used. If you want to develop cross-platform mobile apps, Ionic, React Native and Native Script are at your fingertips. React Native and Native Script are both JavaScript based. Even Vue.js now can now be used to develop native mobile applications.

There's also Dart and Flutter. Both languages are being pushed by Google as alternatives to React Native, Native Script and other languages that allow you to develop cross platform mobile applications.

If you want to do traditional native android development, I would advise you to go learn Kotlin. Developed by IntelliJ and adopted by Google, Kotlin is now the official android native programming language going forward due to the patent suit that Oracle filed against them sometime ago. So going forward, Kotlin is going to be the big man. Those telling you about Java still like in 2016.

So don't be deceived that mobile programming s just about learning Java and XML. These guys did not even mention XML as if it is not a language in itself.

Dear OP, do your research and make your decision; but let me warn you. If your only motivation to learn software development is money, you'll tap out of the race because you're going to be easily frustrated.
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by Maj196(m): 11:32am On Aug 01, 2018
To be on a safer side learn both and thank me later.
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by Jaytecq(m): 11:44am On Aug 01, 2018
Two things to know.
1. Web development (Most asked for in Nigeria), alot of peeps are into this, in my opinion u might not get Big money but you will get enough jobs out there.

2. App Develop. (Little interest in 9ja), less peeps are into this, you will certainly get good Pay for this.
most APP will need a web to Run tho.

Conclusion and Recommendation: Most APP will need a web to Run tho; Start with Web first then with time you can move to APP.

Note: Fall in love with it, not the Money
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by abimic(m): 12:26pm On Aug 01, 2018
Mobile App development is bae man... That is the future! Good to be able to develop the two but Android programming would still be preferable because of the larger market it would still carry along some years to come.
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by CanadianEnginee(m): 12:32pm On Aug 01, 2018
simiolu1, Zsquare, Halifaxguy

Hey guys, I have started to learn python programming and wish to even learn more languages like java script etc. I am a civil engineer but would like to delve into software development(Full Stack Developer). Do you think I need to go to school to study computer science or is self study/ experience just enough?
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by simiolu1(m): 1:39pm On Aug 01, 2018
CanadianEnginee:

Hey guys, I have started to learn python programming and wish to even learn more languages like java script etc. I am a civil engineer but would like to delve into software development(Full Stack Developer). Do you think I need to go to school to study computer science or is self study/ experience just enough?

To be a full stack developer, you must be both a front-end and back-end developer. Even though most times full-stack developers are better at one than the other, it matters little. So you'd need to up your ante by learning HTML, CSS and JS. That is the starting point though. You'd need to know SASS or LESS (CSS pre-processors). And at least one JS framework (there are many but you might want to pick between React, Angular and Vue). You must also learn about Package Managers (NPM and Yarn are JavaScript's industry standard) and module bundlers (webpack, Rollup, SystemJS etc) even though webpack is the industry standard.

Since you're already learning Python, have a look at Django or Flask (python web development frameworks). Then there's the issue of Version Control and Testing.

So in order, I'd recommend that you do
a. HTML

b. CSS (please know the box model and flexbox well; without them, CSS doesn't make sense)

c. JS. Please start at the beginning. Loops, If, Arrays, Objects, DOM manipulation (DO NOT SKIP DOM no matter how boring it is), functions, events. Then move to ES2015. By the time you're comfortable with ES2015, transpiling with whichever tool you choose (Babel, Bublé, Sucrase etc) would flow naturally [though I'd advice you choose Babel]. Then look at least 1 framework.

d. Python Web framework. This will introduce you to OOP, version control and testing.

Don't be scared; you can achieve all these with self-learning. And please, take it step by step. Ciao

@CanadianEnginee I made some edits to the comment. Please take time to reread

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by abdeiz(m): 2:37pm On Aug 01, 2018
Zsquare:

Web is demanding but first what programming language are you going to work with? Java, C, C#, Python and lots more are out there and each has different web framework to work with. Python in combination with Django can give you the best web development experience but it all comes to understanding of language of your choice.

Plus are you going to be a back-end developer or a front-end developer? Ask yourself different questions and when you find the right answers then you can make your choice!

A good web developer should have at least 75% knowledge on how to link his work with android, IOS or Windows.

Android apps pay much or pay less depending on the usability but web developers make their money whether you use the web or not because it's just a contract between them and the organization.

Check your interests, your talents, environment you want to work including the mentality of such people, marketing strategies on how to make yourself a brand and it's not necessary you learn different programming language.

Hope this will give you little guidance on your choice!

I like this, it was helpful. I am training to be a web developer too but lack serious foresight. I am just learning without any direction. If you dont mind can you shed more light on career paths one can take?
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by Zsquare: 7:17pm On Aug 01, 2018
CanadianEnginee:
simiolu1, Zsquare, Halifaxguy

Pursue your civil engineering some online classes with little pay can help u understand a lot. Going to classes is good as it'll help build you on different marketing skills and other areas that programming can't cover.

But you can be good without going to class.

1 Like

Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by Zsquare: 7:28pm On Aug 01, 2018
abdeiz:

I like this, it was helpful. I am training to be a web developer too but lack serious foresight. I am just learning without any direction. If you dont mind can you shed more light on career paths one can take?

Career path depends on you, your hard work plus talent as well as your environment.

Am learning programming in an Indian university currently and there are so many career paths one can take but when I try relating some to Nigeria, our level of development might be way behind so your environment also contributes to your career being a successful one.

I think you should learn python and it's framework Django....you can add javascript but python and Django can be used for web development if you are good without much of javascript but javascript helps especially with client interaction.

C Programming is the mother of most languages but it's becoming obsolete and your Dropbox, YouTube, Firefox, Quora, Redit, etc are all designed using python though YouTube was designed with Php first but it's now in python. That's how beautiful python is.

A code of 100 lines in C programming language can be written in just 20 lines or less in Python programming language.

So it's your choice to choose plus what do you want? Front-end, back-end or both?

2 Likes

Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by Zsquare: 7:36pm On Aug 01, 2018
simiolu1:

You need at least a functional website to have mobile version of it in mist cases if not all....and the question is web development or mobile app(android) development.

The programming languages listed are just a few ones that are trending in the programming world. Learn to understand simple suggestions before calling people names though we all have freedom of speech, don't misuse yours!
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by CanadianEnginee(m): 8:15pm On Aug 01, 2018
simiolu1:

To be a full stack developer, you must be both a front-end and back-end developer. Even though most times full-stack developers are better at one than the other, it matters little. So you'd need to up your ante by learning HTML, CSS and JS. That is the starting point though. You'd need to know SASS or any of its variations. And at least one JS framework (there are many but you might want to pick between React, Angular and Vue). Once you start learning a JS framework, then NPM, Babel, Gulp, Grunt and Webpack must be added to your toolbox.

Since you're already learning Python, have a look at Django or Flask (python web development frameworks). Then there's the issue of Version Control and Testing.

a. HTML
b. CSS (please know the box model and flexbox well; without them, CSS doesn't make sense)
c. JS. please start at the beginning. Loops, If, Arrays, Objects, DOM manipulation (DO NOT SKIP DOM no matter how boring it is), functions, events. Then move to ES2015. By the time you're comfortable with ES2015, Babel and Grunt would be very comfortable. Then look at at least 1 framework.
d. Python Web framework. This will introduce you to OOP, version control and testing.

Don't be scared; you can achieve all these with self-learning. And please, take it step by step. Ciao

Bros, thanks for your time. I really appreciate it. I'll do as adviced. I hope I can achieve a lot (both front end and back end languages) in the next 12 months.
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by CanadianEnginee(m): 8:25pm On Aug 01, 2018
Zsquare:

Pursue your civil engineering some online classes with little pay can help u understand a lot. Going to classes is good as it'll help build you on different marketing skills and other areas that programming can't cover.

But you can be good without going to class.

Thanks so much. I`ll go with self study then.

1 Like

Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by simiolu1(m): 9:16pm On Aug 01, 2018
CanadianEnginee:

Bros, thanks for your time. I really appreciate it. I'll do as adviced. I hope I can achieve a lot (both front end and back end languages) in the next 12 months.

Sure you can. And please build numerous projects along the way...

1 Like

Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by injurybaba(m): 7:42am On Aug 02, 2018
Best post I have seen in months

Thanks to everyone that contributed

I have really learnt alot this morning

I started with HTML and CSS was very good at it
started with PHP got confused � am only like 50% good
left programming for months
Now I am going into Javascript hoping I can get my mojo back again

Any advice will go a long way
Thanks
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by abdeiz(m): 11:17am On Aug 02, 2018
injurybaba:
Best post I have seen in months

Thanks to everyone that contributed

I have really learnt alot this morning

I started with HTML and CSS was very good at it
started with PHP got confused � am only like 50% good
left programming for months
Now I am going into Javascript hoping I can get my mojo back again

Any advice will go a long way
Thanks

My advice to to avoid taking breaks especially as you are in the learning phase, you will have to start all over again each time. Try as much as possible to master something and build a project but most importantly, have a passion for so that it work looks like vacation or a hobby to you never giving you a reason to leave.

P.S i am also a leaner like you.

1 Like

Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by abdeiz(m): 11:20am On Aug 02, 2018
Zsquare:

Career path depends on you, your hard work plus talent as well as your environment.

Am learning programming in an Indian university currently and there are so many career paths one can take but when I try relating some to Nigeria, our level of development might be way behind so your environment also contributes to your career being a successful one.

I think you should learn python and it's framework Django....you can add javascript but python and Django can be used for web development if you are good without much of javascript but javascript helps especially with client interaction.

C Programming is the mother of most languages but it's becoming obsolete and your Dropbox, YouTube, Firefox, Quora, Redit, etc are all designed using python though YouTube was designed with Php first but it's now in python. That's how beautiful python is.

A code of 100 lines in C programming language can be written in just 20 lines or less in Python programming language.

So it's your choice to choose plus what do you want? Front-end, back-end or both?

Indeed the environment here is harsh which makes it a tad difficult unlike our peers outside. Nonetheless thanks for the advice, i now have a clearer picture of the path i need to follow. Python sounds exciting indeed.

1 Like

Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by AppWebStudios(f): 11:33am On Aug 03, 2018
A programmer can work on both platforms depending on the project. A programmer only focus on programming. Not anything else. Like us Visit our website https://www.appwebstudios.com/

Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by PcashMojo(m): 1:38pm On Aug 03, 2018
dexterautonomy:
I think you asked the wrong question. It should be what language should I start with, because basically, android programming is Java and web programming could be Java, PHP, ASP etc...

You have spoken well and lemme add a little -If you are going for mobile app dev you need to learn the basic language first which is :

1. Java
2. C++ and lastly
3. C

For IOS ,if you have 2 and 3 you are good to go,but you must have Xcodeplatform for the development

Web programming you have to key into -HTML,CSS first, them choose a core language and framework, PHP,ASP,RUBYONRAILs,Drupal,Joomla
and maybe you can also add more skills like Javascript,json,sql,jquery...explore.
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by Leun: 10:04am On Aug 06, 2018
simiolu1:

To be a full stack developer, you must be both a front-end and back-end developer. Even though most times full-stack developers are better at one than the other, it matters little. So you'd need to up your ante by learning HTML, CSS and JS. That is the starting point though. You'd need to know SASS or any of its variations. And at least one JS framework (there are many but you might want to pick between React, Angular and Vue). Once you start learning a JS framework, then NPM, Babel, Gulp, Grunt and Webpack must be added to your toolbox.

a. HTML
c. JS. please start at the beginning. Loops, If, Arrays, Objects, DOM manipulation (DO NOT SKIP DOM no matter how boring it is), functions, events. Then move to ES2015. By the time you're comfortable with ES2015, Babel and Grunt would be very comfortable. Then look at at least 1 framework.

Hi
Thank you for the insight. How long can one grasp an in depth knowledge of these all <b>Self Learning<\b>
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by DaCharis2016: 5:15am On Aug 08, 2018
Where do I start from in programming? I want to learn how I can be developing apps. Am totally naive in this field.

What basic or primary knowledge do I need to have in order to fulfill this ambition of mine?

Thank you.
Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by Legolast: 9:48am On Aug 30, 2018
DaCharis2016:
Where do I start from in programming? I want to learn how I can be developing apps. Am totally naive in this field.

What basic or primary knowledge do I need to have in order to fulfill this ambition of mine?

Thank you.

Start reading from the front page of this thread, you will definitely have your answer. People have said alot here

1 Like

Re: Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? by kaypompee: 3:52pm On Sep 03, 2018
Why is nobody looking to develop desktop applications again these days? Technically they are the easiest applications to sell to a business or firm.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My First Real PHP Based Website / Data Science Tutorial For Beginners With Python Programming Language / What's Tools Do I Need To Start Building A Messaging App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.