Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,877 members, 7,828,120 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric (708 Views)

Is Adeleke University, Ede The Most Beautiful Private University In Nigeria? / ABUAD Beats Covenant University; Ranks As Best Private University In Nigeria / Which Public University Is The Best In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric by HigherEd: 2:21pm On Jul 30, 2018
A while ago, Punch Nigeria made an erroneous claim on her website claiming that Afe Babalola University had toppled Covenant University In the July edition of Webometrics ranking 2018.
https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/punchng.com/ui-ranked-nigerias-best-abuad-tops-private-varsities/amp/

Truly Covenant university was toppled out of second place which it held some months ago but it was toppled by the University of Nigeria, Nsukka not ABUAD while Obafemi Awolowo University took third place.

As a matter of fact Covenant university remains the only private university in the top 20 of the Nigerian university ranking and maintains fourth place.
http://www.webometrics.info/en/africa/nigeria

Lalasticlala TheVictorious

4 Likes

Re: Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric by amaniro: 2:30pm On Jul 30, 2018
covenant uni.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric by grandiose4ever: 2:41pm On Jul 30, 2018
I only respect times higher, QS ranking and ARWU.

Go open the accreditation records of Nigeria under NUC. Covenant university and AUN are still the only two universities founded before 2010 that have never lost an accreditation since they were founded. So on what basis is OAU ranking higher than AUN or CU. There's too much holes in the webometric ranking.

Apart from Covenant and AUN the rest are noise makers...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric by Topmaike007(m): 2:43pm On Jul 30, 2018
that one na una problem
#team federal..

like for federal uni

share for private

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jul 30, 2018
That was such a huge mistake by punch, though I've been trying to access webometric ranking page of its site since 28th to no avail. When I saw the report early this morning, I just knew there was a mix up somewhere.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric by TheVictorious(m): 6:01pm On Jul 30, 2018
Thanks for mentioning me to this thread bro HigherED! cool

It is really funny and sickening how Nigerian media misinforms simple minds.

Remember I published the first openness ranking on this platform that went really viral (https://www.nairaland.com/3241884/webometrics-transparent-ranking-universities-2016) and I took time to explain what it's all about.

Pic 1: Find the Highlighted positions of ABUAD and Covenant University in the "openness/transparency indicator" of the Webometrics Ranking (July 2018).

Pic 2: Notice the Position of Covenant University in the Webometrics Ranking (July 2018) - ABUAD not in top 20! grin

Pic3: Notice the position of ABUAD in the ranking (World ranks were also highlighted).

Pic 4: Methodology shows that Openness indicator in which ABUAD came ahead of CU constitutes just 10% of the overall ranking. How about the other 90% undecided

Source (Webometrics, July 2018):

Full Ranking; http://www.webometrics.info/en/Africa/Nigeria
Transparency indicator; http://www.webometrics.info/en/transparent (http://www.webometrics.info/en/transparent)
Click on the indicator headings to view universities' performances by every other indicator

Re: Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric by pabostt: 6:29pm On Jul 30, 2018
Punch falls my hand. Their quick response to the mistake made by webometric on the initial data may affect their trust level. They should at least look through the ranking factors before jumping to publish.
Re: Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 30, 2018
I think webometric should stop this bullshit they call ranking. In the first place, I see no sense in ranking institutions based on their archive between 2012 to 2016 when 2019 is 5 months away. I really think Webometric ranking is hyped and shouldn't be paid much attention.

It is definitely a huge joke, to say the least, that LAUTECH of all schools, that has been retrogressive in the past years is ranked above LASU and Unizik. I don't need any ranking to tell me that a redundant LAUTECH, at the middle a terrible crisis, should be at the bottom of the list.

Webometric ranking is simply another wonky indicator aimed at misleading the uninformed public.
Re: Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric by HigherEd: 6:36pm On Jul 30, 2018
pabostt:
Punch falls my hand. Their quick response to the mistake made by webometric on the initial data may affect their trust level. They should at least look through the ranking factors before jumping to publish.
We are in an era where supposed credible news outlets are competing with bloggers on how to be stupid...
Re: Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric by CodeTemplar: 6:40pm On Jul 30, 2018
It is sad our highly subsidized old school universities aren't performing as expected. I expect more from schools whose third class 'will' beat private uni first class hands down.

Nobody is above mistake though so punch could have missed the conflicting details.
Re: Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric by CodeTemplar: 6:45pm On Jul 30, 2018
HigherEd:

We are in an era where supposed credible news outlets are competing with bloggers on how to be stupid...
May be it was a huge mistake.
Re: Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric by TheVictorious(m): 6:52pm On Jul 30, 2018
Reacted to the misinformation with a thread on Twitter: https://twitter.com/VvincentNonso/status/1023956193885282304
Re: Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric by DrayZee: 7:14pm On Jul 30, 2018
pabostt:
Webometrics didn't make a mistake. The news Punch posted sorted the universities according to "Openness" instead of sorting them based World ranking.
Re: Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric by moshoodn(m): 7:24pm On Jul 30, 2018
What's with these ratings...

Its not a truly reflective indicator..
Re: Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric by darkid1(m): 7:57pm On Jul 30, 2018
I thought as much cheesy
You need to take a visit to CU just once, to be able to grasp the amount of focus and drive put into achieveing their one of ten in ten vision.

Punch should take time o.

Nigerian journalism angry .

2 Likes

Re: Covenant University Is Still The Best Private University In Nigeria - Webometric by Uchenaija: 9:14am On Aug 07, 2018

(1) (Reply)

Help A Unilorin Guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! / Two Covenant University Graduates Battle For Alumni Leadership / 5 Things You Must Unlearn And Give Up For A Successful Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.