Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,548 members, 7,812,750 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:36 PM

Catfish Problems And Solutions - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Catfish Problems And Solutions (4068 Views)

Catfish Aquaculture: Factors, Problems And Solutions / 5 Big Risks Faced By Farmers And Solutions / Contact Me For A Profitable Farm Setup And Solutions To Your Farming Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catfish Problems And Solutions by aoukane(m): 2:51pm On Jul 30, 2018
This thread is created with the intention to educate, analyze and solve challenges, fish farmers encounter in raising catfish.

Some fish farmers have complained that they have not been making profit. Why is it so?
Others shout for joy that they made profit but forgot to include their overhead cost before declaring profit.

How do you calculate profit really?
Are you faced with water challenges?
Are your fish dying and you have not been able to find the reason and arrest it?
Should you feed your fish with locally made feed only or should you combine it with foreign feed?

State your problem (real problems please) and let us solve it together.
Great Farmer! Great Nation!
Re: Catfish Problems And Solutions by aoukane(m): 4:17pm On Jul 30, 2018
Chuvaak made in Nigeria Mobile Fish Ponds can last for as long as ten (10) years (between 20 to 24 farming seasons). It is best suited for Recirculating, flow through and or partial flow through method of rearing fish.

This fish pond will help farmers to:
1. Utilize their space profitably
2. Adopt best practices 
3. Increase production per square metre
4. Easily manage their fish 
5. Reduce maintenance cost
6. Increase stocking density per square metre
7. Increase Profit
8. Reduce overhead and overall cost of production
9. Plan a good farm layout
10. Restructure the farm at anytime (because the pond is moveable) 
11. Reduce transportation cost as ponds can be installed in their compounds 
12. IT HAS SECOND HAND VALUE...

When you patronize us, you get:
1. Free Installation
2. Free Extension service
3. Free Consultancy

Available sizes:
1. 20FT X 10FT (Capacity of between 2000 to 3000 Table size fish) 
2. 18FT X 9FT (Capacity of between 2000 to 2800 Table size fish) 
3. 14FT X 7FT (Capacity of between 1500 to 1800 Table size
4. 12FT X 6FT (Capacity of between 1000 to 1200 Table size fish) 
5. 10FT X 5FT (Capacity of between 800 to 1000 table size fish) 
6. 8FT X 4FT (Capacity of between 500 to 700 table size fish)

Note: Recirculating and Flow through method carries the upper limit started above while partial flow through (changing water daily) carries the lower limit.

To order please call or chat 08036339673, 08167675704

Re: Catfish Problems And Solutions by aoukane(m): 5:45pm On Jul 30, 2018
More Photos...

Re: Catfish Problems And Solutions by aoukane(m): 9:54pm On Jul 30, 2018
Catfish is a fresh water fish, not a mud water or a dirty water fish. The idea of culturing catfish outside their natural habitat is to create the same environment in the habitation of man. When you grow catfish in Earthen pond, it will not express it's gene to its full potential because the environment is not the best for it. Earthen ponds was used by low income farmers to raise catfish for home consumption and maybe small sales. Hence they had to creatively take advantage of their environment to raise catfish.

However, if you're producing catfish at a commercial scale you cannot use earthen pond. I make bold to say it is not built for profit except you have a means of getting constant fresh water into the pond. Mind you, fish depends on the dissolved oxygen to do well, infact high dissolved oxygen level increase their rate of feed consumption and conversion. The mud water contains other substances (chemicals) and materials that are displacing a reasonable amount of dissolved oxygen.

You need to overcome this challenge by connecting an inlet where fresh water will continually flow into your pond and waste water out through the outlet. By so doing, you're creating the best environment that will enable the catfish to express it's gene.

I will be sharing more tips... Stay connected.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Problems And Solutions by aoukane(m): 1:03pm On Aug 01, 2018
The source of your catfish seed (fingerlings, post or juveniles) is very important. It is always advisable to buy seeds from Hatcheries with good farm ethics. The parent or broodstock used for production should be above 2.5kg and above 9months old. If possible negotiate for shoot outs. They grow faster and bigger.
Re: Catfish Problems And Solutions by Olayinka777(m): 4:26pm On Aug 01, 2018
Pls may I know how long u have been into catfish business?

1 Like

Re: Catfish Problems And Solutions by aoukane(m): 10:14am On Aug 08, 2018
Since 2013 sir
Re: Catfish Problems And Solutions by aoukane(m): 2:58pm On Aug 16, 2018
Use these size of fish to hatch... Very productive

Re: Catfish Problems And Solutions by Olayinka777(m): 12:09pm On Aug 28, 2018
aoukane:
Since 2013 sir
Ok! But do u know that shoot outs make less than 13% of the total number of catfish fries? Saying people should negotiate for only it is kind of misleading.
Re: Catfish Problems And Solutions by aoukane(m): 4:44pm On Sep 22, 2018
Chuvaak Mobile Fish Pond

The size of the ponds in this picture is 18FT X 9FT and each pond contains 2,500 table size Catfish.

A plot of land (50FT X 100FT), contains 16 of this pond with drainage and a store for feed and farm equipment. This means that you can now store more in a small space compared to earthen ponds or concrete ponds. 40,000 table size fish can be produced in a plot of land per season.

Another thing is that the pond has second hand value. And the cost of maintenance is very low. Just wash with soap after harvest unlike concrete ponds that you may need to cement it again.

We recommend this pond for you.

Call us today to place your order on 08167675704

We deliver Nationwide!!!

Chuvaak #NothingBetter

Re: Catfish Problems And Solutions by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 23, 2018
Why is the water deep green?
Re: Catfish Problems And Solutions by souldeep(m): 11:42am On Sep 23, 2018
In the quest of trying to market your products, pls try not to mislead people. So many of your information here are wrong.
Re: Catfish Problems And Solutions by funso111: 4:31pm On Sep 23, 2018
souldeep:
In the quest of trying to market your products, pls try not to mislead people. So many of your information here are wrong.
u are just right.earthen pond still remain best place to culture catfish. Fresh water fish means that the water is floating. Mean that is not stagnant. No research has shown that well or bore water is better.most commercial farm I have visited use earthen pond.
Re: Catfish Problems And Solutions by aoukane(m): 10:24am On Oct 02, 2018
Hey guys!!!

Don't get mad at me marketing our products because they are the best. I don't even want to exchange words with you because I feel that's the level of your knowledge. When you upgrade, we can talk.

Ekpan Fish farm is the biggest fish farm cluster in West Africa. They depend on natural water bodies and earthen pond. The place is being deserted on a daily basis. The environment is not sustainable. It is Labour intensive and less productive and Farmers are continually losing money.

Yes! Catfish needs fresh water not dirty water. We depend on underground drinkable water and run flow through constantly in our farm. This water is fresher than most dirty water you think is fresh water. We depend on science and technology not tradition.

Please visit our YouTube channel to see videos of our farm. If you are around warri ask of tested farms or Numa farm, you will see what I am talking about. (Numa farm is the third largest farm in West Africa by the way). When these farms are selling, all earthen ponds shutdown, no sales at all. Lol

Don't criticize what you don't know about.

I am sharing a YouTube video with you on a farm that has wasted their capital on earthen ponds in Ogun state... They just upgraded and we are putting them through.

We educate, we don't fight, we teach we don't argue.

I love you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko5bS11i7EI

(1) (Reply)

FRESH 9JA FARM FROZEN CHICKEN / Detail Business Plan And Proposal For Cassava Farming, From Cultivation To...... / Please What Could Be Killing My Chickens?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.