Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,117 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

Check Out 4 Ways Social Media Is Stealing From You! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Check Out 4 Ways Social Media Is Stealing From You! (435 Views)

Opera Mini's Olist Is Stealing Jiji's Account Details / I Think Zoto App Is Stealing From Me. / 4 Ways Ooni Ogunwusi Makes History As Wuraola Confirms Marriage Collapse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Check Out 4 Ways Social Media Is Stealing From You! by askifa1: 5:17pm On Jul 30, 2018

Ever wondered why your data is never enough? Or let me say why you think you do not ever have enough data to cover all your activities on the internet?

Well, the answer is simple you have just been robbed, I mean you have been scammed to your face and you still smile to the bank as you pay your internet provider his dues.

With the increase in mobile distribution and penetration in Nigeria, mobile usage has exceeded just making long calls and texting to more intimate mediums of communication.

Fifteen to Ten years ago in Nigeria, the advent of Cyber Cafe where the most Premium style to use the internet, as most people and home could not afford to own Desktop Computer.

Now, fast-forward the time, Laptops came in handy and they also began to help bridge the gap gradually and then the evolution of Smartphone did not just bridge the gap, but faced-out an entire market.

Why then would I go to a Cafe, when I can do all of these things on my phone? This is not to say that Cyber-Cafes have been totally taken out of business, but the income rate has totally reduced when compared to the past.

The importance of the internet cannot be overemphasized in this time of the Nigerian Dream development anymore. Cafes, Malls, Hubs and all have begun to give free access to WiFi to customers because those who established these ventures know that Nigerians like the rest of the entire planet have become the people of the web in one global village connected by electromagnetic waves.

Now, give or take the internet gives and takes from you just what you want it to give. It is sad that we become the Peter that is robbed to pay ourselves as Paul. I know it makes no sense that a man would sell-out his right only to be the one to buy it again.

Here 3 ways in which Social Media has helped us rob and then buy ourselves.

Data Breach

Mark Zuckerberg is losing shares and stock badly at the moment because the society is fighting back. People are leaving Facebook. People are angry about the data breach scandal that rocked the company. Zuckerberg certainly has tendered an apology to the public, but that has made the full view cut and now it is getting more complicated than you can think about.

A company had to close down business because no one was going to do business with its firm anymore.

High Data Consumption

I am sure I am not the only one who has this experience, if you are with them you should show some solidarity. There was a time when all you needed to stay alive on the web was a bonus 10MB mobile data or cheaper data plan, but that is not the came anymore.

Certainly, 10 MB cannot load the first page of your device when you are connected to the internet. These days nothing annoys you like the beep message of a used-up data.

Well, it now looks so normal that when you get such messages you just rub it in and then process to buy another data bundle without asking why your 2 GB is not enough for you to browse for a week without fear.

Maybe you think of it as the fact that your Apps get obsolete in no time and you have to update them without rethinking. You just have to be on the trend train filling every vacuum in.

The idea is for to pay for that service that engages you without thinking of the fact that it robs you of financial providence and your time, which is literally your greatest asset.

Pseudo-Relationships

Now, this is one of the most obvious realities of Social Media, we get to build a network, which is good for the new trend of Social Media and digital marketing and all, but how does this really work anymore when the person beside you does not get the Hi they deserve, but a lot of fake people with fake pictures and names on your timeline get the best of you.

Social Media sometimes bring people together in a web of communication, which is faster and effective but it has brought about the death of our everyday communication and strong social media might become a new field of study in times to come, because of its strength built around pseudo-realities and relationships.

Marketing

Social Media has brought about a new trend of trade. Yes, we all did Business Studies in Secondary, we learnt typewriting and shorthand like they were going to define our lives.

We also learnt that a market is a place, where buyers and sellers meet to exchange goods and services for a price.

Well, visual Social Media has taken marketing to an entirely different level. The everyday Landlord of a shop just got robbed, because most young Nigerians have begun the internet trading and in this case, I am not talking e-commerce.

I am talking about that one man or woman who all he or she does is to snap an item upload it on Instagram or Facebook or Snapchat, who waits for you to like and comment your interest in their commodity while delivery is made to your doorstep.

As against the traditional definition of a Market Social Media just robbed you the opportunity to see your dealer face-to-face, it has put you in a position of making a bid for a commodity based on visual likeness or based on trust, which has to be very strong.

Then you cannot take away the fake that the rate of scamming is also strong, so it leaves you a position of making a choice to believe what you get even before you get it.

Certainly, you cannot discard the reality that social media like every other thing goes south with ideas and realities. Yet it has helped users hold realities in place.

SOURCE: https://www.askifa.ng/social-media-robs-you-as-peter-and-still-pays-you-as-paul/

(1) (Reply)

You Can Now Buy 3pairs Of This Hot Jeans Foe 9000 Naira / ​​why I Pity Whoever Will Succeed Me As Redeemed Church GO – Pastor Adeboye / As A Graduate, Would You Accept A Job Of 1.5million Monthly As A Cleaner?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.