Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,128 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? (1897 Views)

Christians Get In:the Belief In The Holy Trinity Is Fake !! / 5 Psychology Religion Uses To Keep Its Followers Slaves Of The Belief / Atheists Who Think Science Is Mutually Exclusive To Them Should Think Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Aug 14, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

you have made it look as if it is science vs religion?

atheism is not science,
science only deals with what is physical not spiritual.
it is illogical to think the one that made the physical existence is subject to it.

atheism only deny what it does not know.
Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:26pm On Aug 14, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

Let true scientists speak.

Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by Nobody: 7:10am On Aug 15, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

The universe was created in 6 days. "In the Beginning God created the heaven and the earth." Check out the scientific evidence in my post to dalaman.
that is not true, can you kindly explain this verses below?

Psalms 90 vs 4
A thousand years in your sight
are like a day that has just gone by,
or like a watch in the night.

2 Peter 3 vs 8
But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

Now relate those passages to Genesis chapter one

Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by Emusan(m): 8:44am On Aug 15, 2018
nwabekeyi:

Psalms 90 vs 4

2 Peter 3 vs 8
But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

These two passages never have anything to do with Genesis account.

In Genesis the phrase "and the EVENING and the MORNING were first day" appeared throughout the creation account.

Where was evening and morning belong in years?

So, you might have misunderstood those passages or calling God a liar by saying EVENING AND MORNING didn't make a day.

What those passages simply mean is that time is not hidden from God or God doesn't bond with time.
Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by Nobody: 10:55am On Aug 15, 2018
Emusan:

In Genesis the phrase "and the EVENING and the MORNING were first day" appeared throughout the creation account.

So, you might have misunderstood those passages or calling God a liar by saying EVENING AND MORNING didn't make a day.

What those passages simply mean is that time is not hidden from God or God doesn't bond with time.
Reason bro, put on your thinking Cap.

God said I created the earth and all within in 6 days in genesis and in psalms and 2 peters he said a day in his eyes might be thousands of years to us. Make a sense out it, there's no other part of the bible that discribes the timing of God aside these two. God didn't lie, we don't understand Genesis

How do you guys read you own bible?
Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by Emusan(m): 12:10pm On Aug 15, 2018
nwabekeyi:
Reason bro, put on your thinking Cap.

God said I created the earth and all within in 6 days in genesis and in psalms and 2 peters he said a day in his eyes might be thousands of years to us. Make a sense out it, there's no other part of the bible that discribes the timing of God aside these two. God didn't lie, we don't understand Genesis

How do you guys read you own bible?

You don't get it, do you? And you people don't take time to grab the intent of the author rather just pick a verse and use it the way you want.

Now, let me expatiate that 2 Peter for you so that you can see the clear picture the Blessed Apostle is trying to bring out.

"...With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day."

The underline is our focus,

1 day = 1,000 years
1,000 years = 1 day

From the first instance, it means (let's assuming by year 5050 the whole world will be one language) this event is so-so far to we human but to God it's just like a day or tomorrow here.

In the second instance, it means (if universe is actually Billion years old) those years are just like a day OR yesterday to God that the event happened but to we human it's a very long event.

You can see the writer's picture clearly here that God wasn't bond by time the way we human are.

That's why the verses before this was talking about people impatient who think the event of Jesus second coming is taken longer time to happen but this event is just like tomorrow with God even though it's over 2000years now to us.

This is totally different from Genesis creation account that used "...and evening and morning were first day"

If those days were actually thousand years the author could've simply wrote First years but using the phrase EVENING AND MORNING means the author is actually talking about our 24hrs.

That's why I asked where do you place EVENING AND MORNING in your years? Though you couldn't answer!
Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Aug 15, 2018
Emusan:

You don't get it, do you? And you people don't take time to grab the intent of the author rather just pick a verse and use it the way you want.

Now, let me expatiate that 2 Peter for you so that you can see the clear picture the Blessed Apostle is trying to bring out.

"...With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day."

The underline is our focus,

1 day = 1,000 years
1,000 years = 1 day

From the first instance, it means (let's assuming by year 5050 the whole world will be one language) this event is so-so far to we human but to God it's just like a day or tomorrow here.

In the second instance, it means (if universe is actually Billion years old) those years are just like a day OR yesterday to God that the event happened but to we human it's a very long event.

You can see that the writer's picture clearly here that God wasn't bond by time the way we human are.

That's why the verses before this was talking about people impatient who think the event of Jesus second coming is taken longer time to happen but this event is just like tomorrow with God even though it's over 2000years now to us.
I have thought about this in this manner also but it doesn't make sense to me.

It's not possible for earth and the universe to be created in "literally" six days, God is not a magician, if you follow that text literally, you will miss it.
God has made the earth is such a way that things happens gradually with time, it doesn't happen in a twinkle of an eyes. Eg.

You don't grow in a day
Women don't get pregnant and deliver in a day
Plants and trees don't grow in a day.

You have to also understand my own concept to that scripture rather than forcing me to take yours. It's quite beyond what you think
Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by Emusan(m): 12:50pm On Aug 15, 2018
nwabekeyi:

This is where you missed it, it's not about you rather about what God says in His word.

This your statement is one of the things that gave rise to many denominations in Christendom today. Using fallible mind to counter God's word so that it will make people feel happy.

It's not possible for earth and the universe to be created in "literally" six days, God is not a magician, if you follow that text literally, you will miss it.
God has made the earth is such a way that things happens gradually with time, it doesn't happen in a twinkle of an eyes. Eg.

You don't grow in a day

If the word of God says the universe was created in six literally days, who are you to say otherwise because you think it shouldn't be?

But you were born in a day (in fact in few hours)
Pregnancy occurs in a day (in fact in few seconds)
Plant and tree start to sprout in a day

Growing is a process and you didn't read it anywhere where the Bible says God was growing the heavens and earth.

You have to also understand my own concept to that scripture rather than forcing me to take yours. It's quite beyond what you think

I didn't force it on you that's why I took my time to explain and I think my explanation is very simple to decipher even for a primary pupils.

NOTE: Your misunderstanding about 2 Peter is why I quote you in the first place because 2 Peter has nothing to do with Genesis creation account as I clearly explained before.
Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Aug 15, 2018
Emusan:

This is where you missed it, it's not about you rather about what God says in His word.

This your statement is one of the things that gave rise to many denominations in Christendom today. Using fallible mind to counter God's word so that it will make people feel happy.

If the word of God says the universe was created in six literally days, who are you to say otherwise because you think it shouldn't be?

But you were born in a day (in fact in few hours)
Pregnancy occurs in a day (in fact in few seconds)
Plant and tree start to sprout in a day

Growing is a process and you didn't read it anywhere where the Bible says God was growing the heavens and earth.

I didn't force it on you that's why I took my time to explain and I think my explanation is very simple to decipher even for a primary pupils.

NOTE: Your misunderstanding about 2 Peter is why I quote you in the first place because 2 Peter has nothing to do with Genesis creation account as I clearly explained before.
your opinion, you and I know the world was not created in six day, we know this deep down
Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 15, 2018
OLAADEGBU:
Is the belief in God and Science mutually exclusive?

Proved scientific theories strengthens our faith in God and his wonderful works. Science makes us know more about our creator.

1 Like

Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 15, 2018
nwabekeyi:
your opinion, you and I know the world was t created in six day, we know this deep down

But what is there in the bible that would make us to dogmatically state that the universe is created in six literal days? When we look at the bible text on this topic, we see that the bible didn't fix the duration of the days mentioned therein. The bible do not often have 24hrs in mind when "days" are used.

1 Like

Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by johnw47: 2:34am On Sep 03, 2018
JMAN05:

But what is there in the bible that would make us to dogmatically state that the universe is created in six literal days? When we look at the bible text on this topic, we see that the bible didn't fix the duration of the days mentioned therein. The bible do not often have 24hrs in mind when "days" are used.

God being able to see a day as a thousand years and a thousand years as a day
means God is way above mortal man, and eternity is diffrent to time

24 hour days equate to the creation days of genesis 1

Exo 20:9  Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 
Exo 20:10  But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 
Exo 20:11  For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by Emusan(m): 5:23pm On Sep 03, 2018
JMAN05:

The bolden is pure lie...
The commandment to observe the 7th day modeling after creation was specific and the phrase "...EVENING and MORNING, were the first, second... indicated that this is our 24hrs

Besides, in Genesis creation account it was DAY and not DAYS
Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by johnw47: 2:08am On Sep 04, 2018
bit of topic to thread but good info.

Joh 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

^^^ God and the Word is God

vvv the throne of God is the throne of God and the Lamb

Rev 3:21  To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Rev 22:1  And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

Rev 22:3  And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him: 

Rev 22:5  And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever. 

^^^ the Lord God giveth them light

vvv the glory of God did lighten it, the Lamb is that light

Rev 21:23  And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:41pm On Sep 16, 2018
nwabekeyi:

Psalms 90 vs 4

2 Peter 3 vs 8

You quoted those verses out of context. 2 Peter 3:8 and Psalm 90:4 are not talking about the creation days, it is talking about God who lives outside of time and cannot be subject to the time He created. And if you insist that it is talking about creation then you should be consistent in using the word "days" throughout the Scriptures and say for instance, that Jonah was in the belly of a fish for 3,000 years. cool
Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:45pm On Sep 16, 2018
JMAN05:

Proved scientific theories strengthens our faith in God and his wonderful works. Science makes us know more about our creator.

True science surely confirms the Bible. smiley
Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:46pm On Sep 16, 2018
johnw47:

God being able to see a day as a thousand years and a thousand years as a day
means God is way above mortal man, and eternity is diffrent to time

24 hour days equate to the creation days of genesis 1

Exo 20:9  Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 
Exo 20:10  But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 
Exo 20:11  For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Good job!
Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:47pm On Sep 16, 2018
Emusan:

Way to go, brother! smiley
Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by eventtinz(m): 8:11pm On Sep 16, 2018
The only proposition in support of this is that religion began the explanation of the cosmos when humans had little capacity in terms of reason and experimental observations.science is the adulthood of religion which is using greater capacity in terms of tools and reason.The bad news is when science came to the picture religion had developed through human manipulation and exploitation into dogmas with defense mechanism which can not be scrutinized or criticized even constructively without offense.
Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by eventtinz(m): 8:39pm On Sep 16, 2018
Whenever theist cannot rap their heads around the idea of an imperfect God or scripture they plead the metaphorical argument .News flash bitches ,,Slavery ,genocide ,land grabbing ,stoning of adulterers,incest pedophilia ,cosmological inaccuracies,gender inequality ,rape etc are all present in the bible and qoran and these unjust and immoral acts have no metaphorical meanings .All you religious apologetic should stop making excuses for your evil gods...and please stop using the scriptures as references,if you have truly read it,by now you should know it lowers the bar of your argument.
Re: Is The Belief In God And Science Mutually Exclusive? by eventtinz(m): 8:44pm On Sep 16, 2018
Let me still help you out.For a god who is supposed to be outside of time and space cannot be bound by them...he will also have infinite power ,resources and knowledge to create the universe in a day if it pleases it.However,evidence have shown this to be false.

nwabekeyi:

You don't grow in a day

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jehovah's Witnesses Preaching / Why The Blood Of Many Christians Would Be On The Hands Of Grace Preachers / Why Will Satan Torture People In Hell For Disobeying The Same God He Disobeyed?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.