Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

How To Avoid Job Search Burnout - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Avoid Job Search Burnout (269 Views)

Lockdown: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries To Avoid Job Losses / Top 3 Reasons People Go Broke Before Month End - How To Avoid It / How To Avoid New Job Burnout (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Avoid Job Search Burnout by qanda: 11:10am On Jul 31, 2018
Take your job searching process seriously, but don’t let it take over your life.

When I first found myself unemployed after college, I was so stressed about finding a job quickly that I devoted myself to constantly being on my computer searching and applying for jobs. Every time I was home, my laptop was open with the objective of looking for jobs. It was the first thing I did in the morning and even when I ate or sat down to watch a movie, I had those career sites open next to me. Soon I began to feel that job searching was the only thing I was really doing, and it quickly became discouraging and draining.

My best advice is to devote a few hours every day to the job searching process (preferably around the same time each day so you can develop a routine). The rest of the time you can spend improving your skills, taking courses, practicing hobbies, and enjoying your time with family and friends. This way, you’ll spend time searching and applying for jobs, but you’ll also maintain a healthy balance. It may be hard for you to pull yourself away from job searching after a few hours at first, but it’s better to spend focused, productive time job searching rather than long periods of time where you are tired and wasting time. Trust me, in the long-run you’ll be much happier and you’ll also end up being more productive.

In order to make your time most useful, you should focus your energy on particular tasks each day and organize your time wisely. Set weekly goals for yourself – explore new career websites, make a list of organisation you want to research, find positions you want to apply for, create social networking profiles and network. Unfortunately, you tipicall have to apply to many job postings before hearing back from one. Try to stay focused and motivated. Keep in mind that you’re not only competing with recent graduates, you’re also competing with professionals of all levels who may have several more years of work experience than you do, so don’t be discouraged if you apply to numerous positions without hearing back.

Take your job searching process seriously, but don’t let it take over your life. Dedicate time to physical fitness and social activities and never underestimate the importance of developing new skills. Enrolling in a relevant course, taking up a new hobby or learning a foreign language will serve as a constructive use of your time and will also help you to become a more marketable candidate.

Remember to be patient and target your job search to the right positions. Stay positive and persevere!

Article Credit: Extract from the Ultimate Student and Graduate Handbook. Access the Book for free on Q and A App. Download Q and A App from Google Playstore.

Important knowledge you would gain from the book
• How to Break into a Career
• 7 deadly Email Sins to Stay away from
• How to turn the Wrong degree into a Right Career
• What to do if you don’t Succeed at First
• Why Nobody Calls you back for a Job Interview Request
• How to replace Objective Statement with a Qualification Profile on Your CV

(1) (Reply)

Are you a Mathematics Enthusiast You Want To Refresh Your Knowledge?? / Write Projects With WWW.RESEARCHCLUE.COM From The Scratch / Apply Now: Schneider Electric Recruitment 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.