Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,824 members, 7,828,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Should Nigerian women prepare wills when their husband is still alive? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Nigerian women prepare wills when their husband is still alive? (1023 Views)

Poll: Should Nigerian women prepare wills when their husband is alive?

Yes: 66% (2 votes)
No: 0% (0 votes)
Depends: 33% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Why Do Some Married Women Enjoy Their Husband Begging For Sex? / Are Women Making Wills Too? / Lady Wills 3million Dollars And Mansion To Her Dogs Just 4 Luv, What Will U Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Should Nigerian women prepare wills when their husband is still alive? by AloyEmeka5: 12:30am On Jun 19, 2010
Should Nigerian women prepare wills when their husband is still alive?. Please vote.

[size=14pt]Every Woman Should Prepare A Will’[/size]

Saturday, 19 June 2010

Ask Chief (Mrs.) Modupe Adeleke, President, Zonta Club, Ibadan II, what makes a happy home and she will roll  out the recipes. She speaks on the activities of her organisation and also reveals more about what has been keeping her and  her hubby  together for nearly 40 years in this interview with TOLUWANI OLAMITOKE. Excerpts:
What’s  Zonta Club  about?
Zonta Club is a global organisation of executives and professionals  working together to advance the status  and  lot  of women worldwide through services and advocacy.

In what ways is the  club different from other philanthropic organisations?
The focus is to help humanity. we show and express love through our services. We also  spend money and make use of our God-given talents and skills  to improve  the status of women and indirectly the society at large.  Zonta Club  is basically an organisation   meant to liberate women and  improve their lot educationally, professionally, politically, socially, emotionally, psychologically, mentally  and economically. We aims  at    a total woman. The  organisation   also aims at improving the goodwill of fellowship while it also promotes justice and universal peace. We are also united internationally to foster healthy ethical standards. At present, we have adopted a village –Idi-omo  in Oyo State. We are making  our presence felt in this   community by impacting on the women through running of cooperatives.  they have been orientated on the importance of   savings  while they can also borrow funds to run their businesses. We have  likewise  provided the community with borehole water while the issue of  health  is being attended to.

What impact does Zonta Club  as a woman’s organisation have directly  on women in the society?
We made a  case for the under-aged who are maltreated, abused or forced into marriage. We have made our stand  known on the issue of Senator  Sani Ahmed  (Yerima) who  got married to a 13-year-old  Egyptian girl. Zonta  Club has continually fought for the right of women. Record is on ground  that we fought against the judgment passed on  a woman who was caught with a man in adultery in Zamfara  State  during the tenure of  Sani as the then governor of the state. She was to be stoned to death  but in the end, justice prevailed. We have just built a school in Bodija market, Ibadan, for children of women selling there. It was discovered  that many of  these children loiter around in  the market, wasting  away while their mothers are busy trading or doing other things to make ends meet.

How long have you been in the club?
Over 10 years.

And when did you assume office as president?
That was on Sunday, June 6, 2010. I will be there till 2012.

What are the qualities which gave you edge  over others?
I believe I have the ability and  leadership qualities to lead. I have  led  in many capacities and  made  a mark.  I  was  also sure that  with  my steadfast contribution to the progress of Zonta Club, I would get to the top some day.

What plans do you have on ground as president?
My plan is to encourage students in secondary schools  with excellent performance in science and mathematics by giving them scholarships from SS1 to SS3.These students are  members of the     Zee Club. There is also  the  Golden Zee  Club comprising  students in  tertiary institutions. Zonta Club  plays a major role in mentoring and helping them in choosing professions which would stand them out among their peers, especially in fields like technology and engineering.

Some people hold the notion that women who belong to organisations such as Zonta Club are believed to be independent-minded and display a lot of ego which do not make them submissive to their husbands. What’s your comment?
I will say that’s a wrong opinion. Zonta Club is not a social organisation, but a club meant for professionals and executives. The first set of women who made  up the members in the United States were those who were first to attend schools and made their impact    in the United States. We are focussed, have a mission and vision. Our creed says we must be above such. We love and are not self-seeking and thus  meet everyone with love.

how old is your marriage?
It will be 40 years old  on December 26.

What, from your experience, makes a happy home?
The foundation of any home should be God. With God, the foundation will be solid. Marriage demands  a lot of patience to make it succeed.  Lack of this has led to conflict and broken homes.  The result is the high  percentage  of  children from these   homes in the society. They  are    bitter against their parents and the society  who  have offered them  no love, care, attention or help. African men generally are not loving and caring as one would except. But the love for the children would make one overlook whatever the man is doing. Our mothers, in their days, tolerated  and sacrificed a lot to hold their homes. But our modern girls are not ready to bear or endure. Their slogan is “for good, for stay; for bad, for fly.” Tolerance is a recipe for a happy home but this has to be  backed by God’s grace. Without this, you can’t tolerate for long.

You have been married for  long. What do you do to spice up your relationship?
Maintaining   the love in a relationship  demands extra effort. I still cook for my spouse and you know the best way to get to a man’s heart is through  your food. I ensure the house  is clean, warm and welcoming. I also don’t fail to look neat and radiant. This not only attracts you to your spouse but you also give yourself pleasure looking good. When you make yourself radiant or attractive, it doesn’t mean your spouse won’t  look at other women, but you keep  yourself in good shape   so much that other people  will  have to ask, “what is this man looking for in other women with a charming and radiant  wife at home?”

On the issue of transfer of ownership of properties to the younger ones, do you think it’s proper for a woman to write a will aside her husband’s?
I believe it  is necessary. In the  olden days, parents trained  their children  who,  in return,    take care of   them when  they are advancing in age.  Today,  children, even when married, still have their parents  meeting  their needs. By writing a will,  one would  rest assured that their  future is  secured. Again, a  lot of African men engage in extra-marital relationship which can hamper the fortune of the children at home. But  nobody  can  contend with whatever you have left for them if  you write a will.

How do you pamper your body?
I’m not on  special diet. I  believe when one’s mind is put at rest,  it reflects  on the  look. I don’t bother myself about anything. With peace of mind, a problem is half solved. I also go to the gym.

And how do you relax?
My discipline endears me to children. I have a boarding school in my home for primary school pupils.  I  chat, play  and take the  children out for a ride.

Do you have something you can’t do without when dressing up?
Yes. That is my perfume and make-up. My spouse and I were classmates at the University of Ife. When we met, I didn’t believe in make- up and  as such, wasn’t making up, but he liked it probably because he had worked with Western Nigeria Broadcasting Service (WNBS)  and Western Nigeria Television (WNTV) and had seen more light and fashion. When we were married, he would go out and buy me make-up. I later started applying this. There are times I want to look natural, but because people are used to seeing me with make-up, they will keep asking if something is wrong? Marriage is give and take. Occasionally, you do things to please your spouse so that your home can be peaceful.

Some men frown at their wives picking their calls. Is your hubby one of such?
My husband doesn’t like it and I don’t do it. This gives both of us peace.

What are you comfortable in?
I wear both native and english. But I don’t put on short dresses.

Age?
65 years old.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/women-affairs/1310-every-woman-should-prepare-a-will.html
Re: Should Nigerian women prepare wills when their husband is still alive? by bukatyne(f): 7:53pm On May 18, 2020
Bukayne, don't resurrect this thread.

Don't, don't, don't.

Done! Gbam!

Strange interview.

The peace keeping was obviously from the woman's end alone.

Zonta Club is basically an organisation meant to liberate women and improve their lot educationally, professionally, politically, socially, emotionally, psychologically, mentally and economically. We aim at a total woman.

@Bold: Hmmmm

How do you do this effectively while running the typical Nigerian marriage?

Could it be why the women advocacy thingy is not effective?

(1) (Reply)

A Case Of Child Abduction / How Do I Open Bank Account With Naija Bank? / Half Human-animal Born In Fakon Idi Veterinary Clinic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.