Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,510 members, 7,826,936 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

A Message From Fela Anikulapokuti - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / A Message From Fela Anikulapokuti (227 Views)

Eedris Fire Back At Burna Boy For Wishing Him Dead & How He Stole From FELA KUTI / 3 Top Nigerian Singers Who Got Their Inspiration From Fela / Kemi Olunloyo Sends A Message From Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Message From Fela Anikulapokuti by olamariamjonez(m): 2:11pm On Aug 05, 2018
“My people dey suffering and smiling, everyday na the same thing. Suffer, suffer for world, enjoy for heaven.”

This week marks 21years since the musical visionary, people’s champion, activist, and Afro beat founder and legend, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, passed on.

Despite over two decades of his absence from this physical coil, his music remains true to its message; carrying in its innovative notes, the painful truth and a wakeup call for those with inertia: “My people are scared of the air around them; they always have an excuse not to fight for freedom.”

His music was a weapon for change and the conscience of the struggles of many Nigerians but he also resonated with other people who were facing their own struggle anywhere in the world: A radical is he who has no sense, fight without reason….I have a reason. I am authentic, yes, that’s what I am.

His message was universal and it was not particular to Nigeria, hence his appeal to many around the world. Little wonder President Macron visited the Shrine on his visit to Nigeria! He came to pay homage. Fela was well known home and abroad for pioneering the Afro beat genre; he evolved from highlife to his blend of Pan-Africanism inspired music: that’s why l use politics in my music.   That’s the only way a wider audience will get acquainted with important issues. It makes sense culturally as well.

With his brand of music and genre, Afro Beat, he went on to speak to millions and influences many more beyond the borders of Nigeria. He was given the key to the freedom of several cities in Europe and his brand of music is favoured by many African Americans rap and soul artistes, and they count Fela as a major influence. He was irreverent and unapologetic and often gets him into trouble with the military government and he paid dearly for it. Choosing my favourite songs of Fela, is like choosing a favourite amongst your children. But if pushed, I would say for me, it is; Teacher  no teach me nonsense. Well, to be honest with you, water no get enemy comes a very close second: “Water no get enemy”,Fela sang: “Water e no get enemy. If you fight am unless you wan die. I dey talk of black power.”

More: https://hi247.com.ng/2018/08/05/a-message-from-fela-anikulapokuti/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Exclusive Interview With Singer, Smart Drizzy / #AZA: Crooner Davido, Gifts A Lucky Fan N1,000,000m On IG / P Diddy Names Fela ‘anikulapo’ Kuti Amongst People That Inspires Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.