Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,186 members, 7,953,659 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:08 PM

How I Overcame Snoring At Night - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How I Overcame Snoring At Night (376 Views)

How I Overcame Tramadol Addiction. / How I Overcame Marijuana Addiction (Weed) / My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How I Overcame Snoring At Night by crosart(m): 9:40pm On Aug 05, 2018
How can I overcome snoring? Is one big question with several answers. Snoring can be caused by numerous factors, these factors may be as a result of anatomy of the mouth, as well as sinuses, alcohol intake, flu, and overweight. I know partners who have separated because of excessive snoring. It can make you very uncomfortable and sleeping over with friends becomes a problem.

I use to be a heavy snorer, it was so bad that I could wake a drunk. I hated myself for this, I couldn’t sleep over at my friends’, I won’t dare go for vigils. It was that serious. I remember a certain day I travelled for a friend’s wedding, oh no! It was a disaster. I slept with some other visitors in a room, I started snoring, it was so bad that they left me to the dinning table to sleep. When i woke, I thought the wedding had started and i was late no one was in the room, I felt bad my roommates didn’t wake me, I needed them to apologise, but rather I didn’t know I was the one to do the apology.

nasal congestion
My snoring became an issue, and I became very concerned about it. I told myself that I was going to find a permanent solution to it, and guess what? I did.
Before I talk about everything I did to get rid of night snoring, lets talk about some causes.

CAUSES

When you doze off from a light sleep to a deep sleep, the muscles in the roof of your mouth, tongue and throat relax. The tissues in your throat can relax enough and block your airway and vibrate. The more narrowed your airway, the more forceful the airflow becomes. This increases tissue vibration, which causes your snoring to grow louder.

Some other conditions are:

Sleeping position : Snoring is louder and heavier when sleeping on your back. Gravity affects the throat, which makes the airway narrow

Alcohol Consumption: Alcohol consumption is one of the numerous causes of snoring. Taking alcohol before bedtime in high quantity, makes the throat muscles relax and reduces airway defense that helps throat obstruction.

Sleep Apnea: is a serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts. If you snore loudly and feel tired even after a full night’s sleep, you might be having sleep apnea. The major type of sleep apnea is: Obstructive sleep apnea, the more common form that occurs when throat muscles relax. Sleep apnea is another major cause of snoring.

Sleep Deprivation: sleep deprivation is staying awake voluntarily or involuntarily. This also can cause snoring while sleeping after a long period of staying awaking.

Nasal Congestion: As a result of cold/flu, chronic nasal congestion or partitions in your nose may cause night snoring.

How I Overcame Midnight Snoring

This issue lingered for a while, until I beat my chest and told myself,”its high time you do something about this snoring “. I did something and I am grateful I did.

First step: I told my sister to help me. She always inspected my sleeping position, when ever I started snoring, she would wake me and tell me to change my position. After 2 weeks of doing this I discovered 3 things.

1. When I slept on my side, I snored.
2.When I slept upright, I snored.
3.But when I slept on my stomach, I don’t snore.

That was the beginning of the end of my problem

Second Step: A recorder helped me in my quest. How? I put a recorder to record myslf while I slept. I could tell the time of the night I snore, and I could hear how severe I sounded (I sounded like a goblin). I discovered that I usually snore at about 1am.

Finally: The last straw that broke the camel’s back, was my pillow. I always slept with pillows. Pillows affect the muscles in the throat and distort airway, that is, the flow of air. I had to stop using pillows absolutely. My pillows were quite large. These steps I took, were as a result of years of embarrassing nights. Determination and concentration is needed to achieve these.
Tell family members to help out. You can go as far as using a camera to capture yourself if no one is around. And if it still persists, please go see as doctor.

http://fettlecity.com/how-i-overcame-snoring-at-night/

1 Like

Re: How I Overcame Snoring At Night by Timfreds(m): 10:36pm On Aug 05, 2018
A very educative helpful piece.
Re: How I Overcame Snoring At Night by ibori1(m): 10:56pm On Aug 05, 2018
grin

(1) (Reply)

Pain In Urination - Know The Reasons Behind It! / Bad Dreams Can Now Be Stopped-study / You Never Know All Ewedu Can Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.